Status
Not open for further replies.
Growth is a natural part of life young grasshopper. [image=WiseOldMan.jpg]

Really the easiest way to keep track, though it's not 100% accurate, is the class system.

White = Cleric/Paladin
Green = Druid/Animist
Red = Elementalist (sans water)
Black = Necromancer
Blue = Wizard

If it fits into one of those archetypes it usually fits into that color.
Red = Elementalist (sans water)
and sans Air, both are Blue.

And while the list is not too correct...
It is not bad to get a first impression.

Last edited:
What I've never understood is what constitutes natural. Why is it natural for beavers to build dams, but not humans? Or octopi, they build houses. What's unnatural about a house?
Disclaimer: The following are personal opinions/understandings and may be disputed and/or outright incorrect according to others.

What exactly they're talking about with "nature" gets pretty fuzzy with green. The kind of obscenely massive critters that it throws out from time to time-your Krosan Cloudscrapers, Skarrg Goliaths, and Worldspine Wurms- aren't "natural" by any conventional meaning of the term. My understanding is that it's less about what actions are being taken and more whether those actions are a necessary and immediate response to circumstance, and whether they make use of available resources to cultivate more. "Adapt and overcome" might as well be green's motto.

As far as green is concerned "nature" is the emergent property of everything in existence striving at all times to survive and multiply to the best of their ability. Sometimes that means someone's going to break an ecosystem over their knee, but that's fine- green isn't static, and it expects everything whose world was just shattered to figure out how to survive in its new environment, or not.

^ Thanks, QM! Now, clearly the solution here is - "I wish my parents didn't have reasons to hit me anymore." That hits a few of those.

[X] Thank Azura for coming over and ask if she could please leave before your parents find her.
-[X] Tell her that you'd much rather find a way to unlock your mana without needing to become a magical girl.
--[X] You just don't want that unnatural gunk in your soul.

[X] Study your pendant. Kyubey seems to think it creates the same energy as you could. See if you can find it.

[X] Have Kyubey put your pendant back exactly where he found it exactly how he first found it.

Anime Transcripts@アニメで英語 - Puella Magi Madoka Magica>09. I'd never allow that to happen
So I read through and didn't see anything about the Kyubey adding on the Soul Gem thing. I did see this though.

With the size of your population and the rate at which you reproduce, we saw how the amount of emotional energy produced by a single human is greater than the amount used between its birth and growth.
The human soul is the energy source we need that counteracts the effects of entropy.
The most effective energy came from females in their second stage of development when they have the most intense fluctuations of hope and despair.
At the precise moment when your Soul Gems flare out and become Grief Seeds, an enormous amount of energy is created.
As an incubator, my job is to gather up that expended energy.
So the energy comes from the soul which is definitely a Black thing.

[X] Thank Azura for coming over and ask if she could please leave before your parents find her.
-[X] Tell her that you'd much rather find a way to unlock your mana without needing to become a magical girl.
--[X] You just don't want that unnatural gunk in your soul.

[X] Study your pendant. Kyubey seems to think it creates the same energy as you could. See if you can find it.

[X] Have Kyubey put your pendant back exactly where he found it exactly how he first found it.

Green is really weird about things but it kind of boils down to this. "If it would occur naturally on it's own then it's fine."
Which is silly.
Disclaimer: The following are personal opinions/understandings and may be disputed and/or outright incorrect according to others.

What exactly they're talking about with "nature" gets pretty fuzzy with green. The kind of obscenely massive critters that it throws out from time to time-your Krosan Cloudscrapers, Skarrg Goliaths, and Worldspine Wurms- aren't "natural" by any conventional meaning of the term. My understanding is that it's less about what actions are being taken and more whether those actions are a necessary and immediate response to circumstance, and whether they make use of available resources to cultivate more. "Adapt and overcome" might as well be green's motto.

As far as green is concerned "nature" is the emergent property of everything in existence striving at all times to survive and multiply to the best of their ability. Sometimes that means someone's going to break an ecosystem over their knee, but that's fine- green isn't static, and it expects everything whose world was just shattered to figure out how to survive in its new environment, or not.
Blue breaks the system over its knees. It just does it preemptively so that it doesn't get sneak-attacked.

So why does green hate blue?
The witchness is the unnaturalness we want to purify it of. How are MGs parasitical when you take away their cleansing?
Witches eat people. Magical girls eat witches. Magical girls eat people. Parasitic. If they didn't have to cleanse then they'd be from RWBY.

Witches eat people. Magical girls eat witches. Magical girls eat people. Parasitic. If they didn't have to cleanse then they'd be from RWBY.

That's the whole point, he's trying to go for a wish that'll give us the tools we need to break the system with green mana, so that we can strip out QB's additions and end up with something like a RWBY semblance.

Blue breaks the system over its knees. It just does it preemptively so that it doesn't get sneak-attacked.

First you have to understand that the "system" that Green breaks doesn't mean "this is the way things should be" but "this is the way things are." Survival of the fittest means that there really isn't a set "system." But everything kind of merges together into a kind of "super-system." What Green does is break some of the "subsystems" leaving the larger "super-system" intact. Blue, on the other hand destroys that "super-system." That's why Green hates them.

So I read through and didn't see anything about the Kyubey adding on the Soul Gem thing.

Oh. If that's what you're talking about:

Anime Transcripts@アニメで英語 - Puella Magi Madoka Magica>06. This just can't be right

I did see this though.

So the energy comes from the soul which is definitely a Black thing.

Look at the context. He's talking about the emotions the souls produce. The souls remain intact, which is the very reason grief seeds can exist.

That's the whole point, he's trying to go for a wish that'll give us the tools we need to break the system with green mana, so that we can strip out QB's additions and end up with something like a RWBY semblance.
And how much is QB's meddling and how much is supposed to be there? Are the Soul Gems something bad or something that makes the whole system stable? Would making that system unstable cause it to collapse?

And how much is QB's meddling and how much is supposed to be there? Are the Soul Gems something bad or something that makes the whole system stable? Would making that system unstable cause it to collapse?
Kyuubey invented Soul Gems. He also invented witches. He didn't invent magic. Not even PMMM magic.

They disagree on a lot of critical points about what's important. Green is (usually) about concrete, immediate, and fundamental things and blue is (usually) about theoretical, abstract, intellectual things. Given a similar set of resources and options they'll largely choose different ones.

The word "hate" feels stronger than is justified to me; the color divisions aren't absolute, which is why you can have UG as a pairing at all. They're in opposition but that doesn't mean that they can't work together or agree on anything at all. You won't get blue saying that survival is bad or green saying that optimization is bad, even though those are critically tied to the other color; they're useful enough concepts that both are willing and inclined to use them to achieve success. But they're means to an end- and which is the means and which is the end is the point on which the colors disagree.

I still don't see where he says that having a Soul Gem causes you to gain Grief.
Homura says that in the show, I think shortly after the lichbomb.
First you have to understand that the "system" that Green breaks doesn't mean "this is the way things should be" but "this is the way things are." Survival of the fittest means that there really isn't a set "system." But everything kind of merges together into a kind of "super-system." What Green does is break some of the "subsystems" leaving the larger "super-system" intact. Blue, on the other hand destroys that "super-system." That's why Green hates them.
Blue destroying a perceived system is also "the way things are". Survival of the Fittest isn't defeated by technology, just nudged towards a different outcome, it begins and ends with "what happens happens". Anyone seeking to stop a thing that is in fact happening for the benefit of something that could in theory be happening is placing "the way things should be" over "the way things are" and Survival of the Fittest continues on regardless.

Last edited:
What defines the supersystem!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back