Not necessarilly "I can't stand it" level, but I dislike "Nooooo, these are not gods, thay are just extremely powerful aliens! Even if they are more powerful nad transcendental than many gods worshipped by real-life religions, they are definitely not gods!". What is funny, this happens to zealous Christians and atheists both.
Usually some form of 'skepticism is dumb' subplot in some stories, which I absolutely cannot stand. It also usually takes aim at atheists for rather stupid reasons.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen this trope ever apply to anyone who wasn't an atheist or a skeptic of some sort, which annoys me for reasons I'm sure are politically motivated.

Last edited:
Godhood is pretty arbitrary set of characteristics and carries with it certain connotations. Think of it this way, the Federation from Star Trek most certainly fit at least one definition of Godhood and yet they wouldn't appreciate the title nor the idea of being worship.

And what would you even do with that information? Usually, the response to meeting a God is start getting on your knees or prepping some kind of sacrifice.
Problem is when the characters saying "that's no god" walk up to people who disagree.
Like, say, Federation from Star Trek insisting that the Prophets of Bajor are not gods, while talkingto Bajoran's, on Bajor.
Someone going "i am not a god" is very different from someone going "you are not a god", or "the entity you follow is not a god".

The characters (and through them, the authors) talking are basicly demanding other characters religious practices conform to their own (or the lack thereof) to be valid.

Last edited:
Usually some form of 'skepticism is dumb' subplot in some stories, which I absolutely cannot stand. It also usually takes aim at atheists for rather stupid reasons.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen this trope ever apply to anyone who wasn't an atheist or a skeptic of some sort, which annoys me for reasons I'm sure are politically motivated.
Well, my experience was different - it was usually not used as something to mock, but quite the contrary, as only reasonable stance.

Godhood is pretty arbitrary set of characteristics and carries with it certain connotations. Think of it this way, the Federation from Star Trek most certainly fit at least one definition of Godhood and yet they wouldn't appreciate the title nor the idea of being worship.
Pretty much. A god is whatever you decide to call a god. There's literally no other definition that actually holds up for very long, once you bring comparative religion into it. "No and also fuck you" is a perfectly valid response to that kind of situation. The line is drawn exactly where you choose to put it and there's nothing anyone can do about it, because they don't have any kind of rational or objective justification for where they decided to draw their own, either.

Kirk met so many gods that he was surprised one needed a spaceship, when the previous ones hadn't.

Appolo, Bachus, and Quetzocoatl even if you don't count Trelaine and the Organians.

I propose to move from the problem of divinity to something more trivial. To the heels.

I'll say right away that I actually have a soft spot for fan service. I know there's a fine line here, but yes - I love beautiful and effective characters, and also when they allow me to see more. And I'm ready to forgive a lot. However, there is one thing that I don't like - action heroines in stiletto heels. These are not the most comfortable shoes, especially when you have to run and jump. But for some reason, action heroines were often forced to act in high heels (nowadays this is less common (but still happens) - but now the trend is for "down to earth" images). It is significant that one of the most common "blunders" of action films is the heroine in one frame wearing very high heels, while during the moments of performing stunts the character wears lower soles. So no - if they need to run or fight, then it is better to choose more comfortable shoes.

Last edited:
If your action heroine is wearing stiletto heels she better be using them as actual stiletto knives.

I'm not going to defend the concept intrinsically (ugh Kerrigan's bone heels) but like most tropes it's a question of execution, if you have a weird and gonzo setting then having women casually jumping and running around in heels is hardly out of place. That's why I didn't mind 2B's heels in Nier Automata, the setting was exactly the right kind of absurd for it to work fine. The issue is if it clashes with the tone, vibe, or character aesthetic.

The key though is that it has to be a considered part of the design, just slapping it because it's hot without any concern for whether it's appropriate is a easy route to the bad kind of absurdity.

You can run and jump in heels.

Hurts like hell, but you can do it.
The fact of the matter is that it hurts - my mother doesn't wear stilettos, but if she puts on boots with just high heels, then she will endlessly complain that walking is hard and she needs to take the bus (even if the walk is literally 15 minutes from home) . Moreover, as I said, stuntmen and actors constantly change shoes between filming. So why "produce the narrowness of the super-necessary"?

I'm not going to defend the concept intrinsically (ugh Kerrigan's bone heels) but like most tropes it's a question of execution, if you have a weird and gonzo setting then having women casually jumping and running around in heels is hardly out of place. That's why I didn't mind 2B's heels in Nier Automata, the setting was exactly the right kind of absurd for it to work fine. The issue is if it clashes with the tone, vibe, or character aesthetic.

The key though is that it has to be a considered part of the design, just slapping it because it's hot without any concern for whether it's appropriate is a easy route to the bad kind of absurdity.
To be fair, B2 is still an android. That is, she certainly experiences emotions, has a completely feminine body, but is still a robot - so it is quite possible that she is not in as much pain as it should be (on the other hand, we can still ask the question of stability).
Here's the thing - "inappropriate heels" are just as much a joke as chainmail bikinis and the like. However, they "die" much slower than bodysuits or combat bikinis. Hell - Claire even runs from the Tyrannosaurus in damn heels! Why doesn't she take off her shoes - this creature can simply crush her and not notice! MK1 pretends to be "gritty and realistic" and many of the female characters have been given more "modest" clothing - but they are still wearing heels (which are higher than in some other parts). Honestly - a fight in swimsuits makes more sense. However, maybe there is something in me my mind distorts my perception that I put so much emphasis on heels.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is that it hurts - my mother doesn't wear stilettos, but if she puts on boots with just high heels, then she will endlessly complain that walking is hard and she needs to take the bus (even if the walk is literally 15 minutes from home)
If your boots have heels use them as intended and ride a horse.

You can run and jump in heels.

Hurts like hell, but you can do it.
I recently broke my leg in three places after stepping off a sidewalk in exactly the wrong way, despite plenty more ankle support than high-heels could ever hope to provide, and I refuse to consider this anything but an elaborate form of suicide. You can jump out of an airplane if you really want to, but that doesn't mean you should or that it isn't highly unlikely to work out in your favour if you do.

(I was wearing sensible, heavy work boots at the time, as I always do on work days. "If you like having feet, never skimp out on your footwear" is a very underappreciated piece of chemistry lab safety wisdom. They couldn't save my ankle, but they did make a spirited attempt at regaining their honor by making it remarkably easy to put the bones back together again afterwards, if the ER team is to be believed. Apparently, the breaks were basically already set and aligned and they just had to finish the job of immobilizing the leg from there. Probably saved me a lot of pain and complications by going above and beyond their duty with that. "Most painless and easy-to-treat multiple fracture ever" may not be as good as not breaking your leg at all, but it certainly deserves a very well-earned second place.)

Last edited:
The weird thing about high heels is that it's basically walking tiptoes but somehow even worse.

Like, I naturally tend to randomly walk tiptoes for some reason, I'm mostly comfortable with that, but the extra spike on the back would probably murder me.

The problem with high heeled shoes is that they're shoes. If the heel is one some sort of self-supporting power boot or is an appendage built into cybernetic enhancements it's fine.

Just don't know what the hell the practical use would be. Raiden in Metal Gear has high heels for his cyborg body so he can wield a sword with his feet. So there's that.

Just don't know what the hell the practical use would be. Raiden in Metal Gear has high heels for his cyborg body so he can wield a sword with his feet. So there's that.
Fun fact: those actually aren't high heels, they just look high-heeled because they basically hollowed out a little space in the middle of his feet, since I guess cyborgs don't need that extra material for structural integrity. It's like if someone took a hacksaw to the bottom of your foot and carved out a chunk from there to about halfway through your ankle. They're really weirdly proportioned if you look closely, but he isn't walking on the tips of his toes or anything.

In any case, I will leave the question of heels to the women themselves. I just noted that they are WAY too impractical in combat.

I don't think anyone has been taking it any other way, honestly. They're just shoes and being functionally useless for physical exertion is arguably a feature, what with being expensive footwear for the idle wealthy and all that. Can't really blame them for working as designed. If you can afford to wear high heels every day, everyone knows you're never expected to actually do anything more strenuous than walking to another room. It's the definition of a status symbol.

The thing happens with the Chaos gods from Warhammer who are psychic gestalts of emotion and warp energy and are probably not even sapient.

But trillions of people worship them, they have multiversal range, and other things.

Some people like the Emperor or Eldar don't believe them to be gods but that's pedantic.

Also it's true some people care more about the aesthetics of skepticism then actually finding out the truth of the matter

See, in my pet setting (that I swear I'll get around to actually writing a story in one of these days, honest) I have it where the local ki equivalent quickly outpaces the protection you'd get from armor created using mundane materials and through controlling the ki provides the grace required to make things like heels work in combat. Typically how well your particular ki flows through it is the most important aspect. Not only does it allow heels, but also all the other wildly impractical outfits you know and love from a JRPG.

Back