[X][Senpai] Uiharu Kazari, the branch's tech support, she also goes to your school!
[X][Afternoon] Go to the Judgement Office

I'm assuming that this is alluding to power copying? Could be put out more clearer/be mentioned that the other person was a psychokinetic.

Before this I was assuming her sudden change from expected level 0/1 and her expected type of esper was from an experiment from the researcher. But now I'm wondering if it changed because of the nature of level upper, and its server interconnected abilities.

[X][Senpai] Shirai Kuroko, the branch's hyperactive Teleporter

Really interesting chapter, makes me wonder where its going.

Edit: Should she really be considered a level 1 though? Even just her psychometric power on the boxes should probably be level 2 or low 3, without even going into her possible non-psychometric abilities.
Also it seems like the average for our age in in acedmy city is suppose to be 5 or just under 5, so Haruko being unable to even be average (we can't even get all our stats to 4) on purpose? or just something you didn't think of?

Edit2: I suppose Level 1 could be considered her level without level upper. Maybe change to level 1(2) or level 1(3) to show its temporarily boosted.
Sort of - will make an edit in the morning to clear up that she was also a Psychometric.

As for the leveling, part of it is that you barely have the energy to really use your ability, part of it is that Psychometrics is one of the least understood types of Esper abilities, so it kind of gets some shaft on proper training.

But yeah, you starting out as below average is somewhat intentional. Your a child error, and they don't exactly get well treated unless they start to show something worth promise... and you can make the argument that those that are probably child errors don't exactly get well treated either.

It also means that we could be level upper coma buddies with Saten if that still happens.
I wonder about that? I mean, at least some of the coma and brain damage from Level Upper was because the various Level Upper users weren't completely in tune, right? As compared to Radio Noise, which was pretty much the same thing but better because the Misakas were all Misaka. But if Hanako's power is that she naturally adapts to and copies other AIM fields, then maybe she has some degree of natural resistance to the negative side effects of Level Upper?

Actually, is she even being boosted by Level Upper in the first place? I was under the impression that Level Upper boosted espers by linking them with other espers with similar powers to give them relevant data or something along those lines, but power-affecting powers are, like, ultra rare, right? I'd be surprised if there were any other power-copiers in the Level Upper network. Is it possible that Level Upper was just a catalyst, like the network's foreign AIM-field(s) directly poking at Hanako's brain was enough for her AIM-Lock and AIM-Shift to start up for the first time, but the end result is more or less her natural baseline power level?

[X][Senpai] Uiharu Kazari, the branch's tech support, she also goes to your school!

Last edited:
Actually, is she even being boosted by Level Upper in the first place? I was under the impression that Level Upper boosted espers by linking them with other espers with similar powers to give them relevant data or something along those lines, but power-affecting powers are, like, ultra rare, right? I'd be surprised if there were any other power-copiers in the Level Upper network. Is it possible that Level Upper was just a catalyst, like the network directly poking at Hanako's brain was enough for her AIM-Lock and AIM-Shift to start up for the first time, but the end result is more or less her natural baseline power level?
IIRC Lever Upper works by linking brains together to share processing power. If a Lvl 1 electromaster links to a Lvl 3 electromaster, presumably the former can borrow the latter's more refined/tested mental equations to increase the efficiency of their ability, but if there was no electromaster that belonged to a higher level then they could still use the other brains connected to the network to brute-force improve their powers. Eventually some Level Upper users couldn't use their brains for anything other than the brute-force calculations and ended up falling into a coma.

My understanding is that Level upper altered the users brainwaves to link their AIM field to the network.
Hanako's AIM Roulette lets her alter her AIM field.

So it is possible that getting Psychometry changed her AIM Field enough to disconnect her from the network.

Naw, the whole "overloading your brain" official story is as much bullcrap as Index needing her brain formatted annually because she'd run out of space.

The actual cause of the problem is that the developer of Level Upper was using YOUR brain to run her simulations because she couldn't get a slot to use Tree Diagram to do it with(since Index nuked it out of orbit but everyone's pretending it didn't happen).

Its supposed to use your spare brainpower for it, but she got impatient and used administrator override to start taking everything, leading to harmless unconsciousness when you didn't have enough brainpower left to stay awake.

The first to keel over were those who were going on a rampage with their boosted power, not because they were causing trouble(she didn't even notice lol), but because they were using too much computing resources, so the admin shut them down for wasting her precious simulation time and put them as full time processing.

The second was when she went slippery slope and realized that she could get even more processing power if she pushed the load up a bunch. This meant that people started keeling over, and she ramped the load up as the Law started chasing her, causing even more people to faint.

The third was when the AIM Burst entity formed in her, and started using all the power to perform Multiskill, which probably knocked whoever was still standing out.

So did every level 0 that used level upper lose their abilities afterwards?
I think so. Saten is the main character example and IIRC there is an episode where she and other users are going through a remedial training.
Naw, the whole "overloading your brain" official story is as much bullcrap as Index needing her brain formatted annually because she'd run out of space.

The actual cause of the problem is that the developer of Level Upper was using YOUR brain to run her simulations because she couldn't get a slot to use Tree Diagram to do it with(since Index nuked it out of orbit but everyone's pretending it didn't happen).

Its supposed to use your spare brainpower for it, but she got impatient and used administrator override to start taking everything, leading to harmless unconsciousness when you didn't have enough brainpower left to stay awake.

The first to keel over were those who were going on a rampage with their boosted power, not because they were causing trouble(she didn't even notice lol), but because they were using too much computing resources, so the admin shut them down for wasting her precious simulation time and put them as full time processing.

The second was when she went slippery slope and realized that she could get even more processing power if she pushed the load up a bunch. This meant that people started keeling over, and she ramped the load up as the Law started chasing her, causing even more people to faint.

The third was when the AIM Burst entity formed in her, and started using all the power to perform Multiskill, which probably knocked whoever was still standing out.
Right, I haven't seen those episodes in a while.

As for the leveling, part of it is that you barely have the energy to really use your ability, part of it is that Psychometrics is one of the least understood types of Esper abilities, so it kind of gets some shaft on proper training.
I mean all espers have a limited amount of energy to use, misaka notes she could only use a railgun 10 times before tiring and is unable to use her abilties after some fights. So the energy thing shouldn't be too big a deal.
Even with the limited uses her ability is super useful in day to day life (Figuring out where you/others put things, spying/cheating, gaining passwords or looking in places you normally wouldn't have access too). So even level 2 seems a little low for it and level 1 seems really harsh. In fact if it was a little more powerful or had a little more uses I'd suggest level 4 for it. (An esper ability like that would be super useful for information gathering for the military).
Maybe Psychometric's aren't given the full rating they should, but we do know quite alot of high level ones from the source material so it is possible to get a good level for it and thats not even mentioning the AIM aspect of it.
It would also be useful for Judgement / Anti-skill if her power was more accurately rated. Because if someone is stealing a bunch of passwords/leaking important information they are going to be looking for level 3's or 4's not a level 1.

part of it is that Psychometrics is one of the least understood types of Esper abilities, so it kind of gets some shaft on proper training.
I mean in terms of resources given wouldn't she gain much more since her ability is so unique and AIM based? Of course that would also depend on what the new report on her maximum potential says.

So did every level 0 that used level upper lose their abilities afterwards?
Well we know some of the victims gained better ratings after, as shown by the test they did after. But whether any level 0's became level 1's is unknown but is likely considering how many people joined level upper. As some have pointed out her new seemingly AIM-based esper ability may mean she suffers fewer losses when she loses her access to level upper. For various reasons.

Last edited:
[X][Senpai] Shirai Kuroko, the branch's hyperactive Teleporter

I have no clue what's going on. But so far i really like this quest!
Maybe i should watch past the first season of index sometime...

I wonder about that? I mean, at least some of the coma and brain damage from Level Upper was because the various Level Upper users weren't completely in tune, right? As compared to Radio Noise, which was pretty much the same thing but better because the Misakas were all Misaka. But if Hanako's power is that she naturally adapts to and copies other AIM fields, then maybe she has some degree of natural resistance to the negative side effects of Level Upper?

Actually, is she even being boosted by Level Upper in the first place? I was under the impression that Level Upper boosted espers by linking them with other espers with similar powers to give them relevant data or something along those lines, but power-affecting powers are, like, ultra rare, right? I'd be surprised if there were any other power-copiers in the Level Upper network. Is it possible that Level Upper was just a catalyst, like the network's foreign AIM-field(s) directly poking at Hanako's brain was enough for her AIM-Lock and AIM-Shift to start up for the first time, but the end result is more or less her natural baseline power level?

Afaik esper powers that directly interact with other esper powers via aim field are practically unheard of since by its very nature an aim field is only useable by the person it belongs to, personal reality and all that.
You can interact with the effects of the aim field but never the field itself which marks Hanako as an interesting specimen and i suspect that a lot of people higher up are going to be interested.

I mean in terms of resources given wouldn't she gain much more since her ability is so unique and AIM based? Of course that would also depend on what the new report on her maximum potential says.
That depends on who's doing the assessing.
The Light Side institutions tend to measure by quantifiable, measurable and repeatable stuff. It makes for good marketable metrics and shows up well on video and photos to get more funding from the legal side of the city.
Look to Tsuchimikado's Auto-Rebirth. Literally regeneration which can return him to full health after an event which would kill him. Level 0 - not usefully measurable.
Look to Touma. Contact disruption of all esper effects. Level 0 - Does not appear to have a power.

The Dark Side institutions LOVE exotic effects that can push the limits and would enjoy taking you home for science. They'd give you all the resources they can, use you up, then break you down for parts.

It doesn't help that exotic abilities require specialized facilities to test and analyze, and most of those are either in the expensive high class schools or black sites.
Low end schools can't even reliably prove a level 2 exotic ability from a level 1.

Look to Tsuchimikado's Auto-Rebirth. Literally regeneration which can return him to full health after an event which would kill him. Level 0 - not usefully measurable.
No, that's wrong. From the wiki: "This Level 0 ability applies a weak membrane over torn blood vessels to stop bleeding." and "[Tsuchimikado] also mentions that his ability is not perfect (being a Level 0) and could at any time fail to revive him, causing him to die permanently." Besides the chunni name, by all indications his power only lets him survive a little longer. Less healing and more keeping him going until he heals normally. It's also automatic and out of his control.

Touma is also a special case because of Imagine Breaker. The power is explicitly not an esper ability, plus the director of Academy City purposely supresses information on the ability.

Last edited:
That depends on who's doing the assessing.
The Light Side institutions tend to measure by quantifiable, measurable and repeatable stuff. It makes for good marketable metrics and shows up well on video and photos to get more funding from the legal side of the city.
Look to Touma. Contact disruption of all esper effects. Level 0 - Does not appear to have a power.

The Dark Side institutions LOVE exotic effects that can push the limits and would enjoy taking you home for science. They'd give you all the resources they can, use you up, then break you down for parts.

It doesn't help that exotic abilities require specialized facilities to test and analyze, and most of those are either in the expensive high class schools or black sites.
Low end schools can't even reliably prove a level 2 exotic ability from a level 1.
No, that's wrong. From the wiki: "This Level 0 ability applies a weak membrane over torn blood vessels to stop bleeding." and "[Tsuchimikado] also mentions that his ability is not perfect (being a Level 0) and could at any time fail to revive him, causing him to die permanently." Besides the chunni name, by all indications his power only lets him survive a little longer. Less healing and more keeping him going until he heals normally. It's also automatic and out of his control.

Touma is also a special case because of Imagine Breaker. The power is explicitly not an esper ability, plus the director of Academy City purposely supresses information on the ability.
Some people also think that Tsuchimikado's ability is also played down by the director for similar reasons. It seems Tsuchimikado's Level 0 rank is justified by it not being able to properly be tested/used etc. (could fail at any time) and because its automatic.
Its noted when the parameter list comes up that the higher ups decide the split of resources depending on 1. how high the parameter list thinks they can go and 2. How useful their ability is. For example they spent absolutely tons on AIM STALKER originally because they had high hopes in how useful she would be if they got her to level 5. However when her ability stopped increasing much and they weren't getting much more data on her they stopped caring so much.

any AIM-based ability is amazingly useful, because it gives more understanding of how AIM fields work. so it would be top-tier or nearly top tier in terms of abilities that they would want to fund. If her potential is also high? They might make her out to possibly be the next AIM stalker and spend absolute tons on her. A decent level 5 AIM ability is worth more then anything except a level 6 (Except perhaps to the director), because they can basically do everything that academy city does without the resources. They estimated that a level 5 AIM stalker may be worth more than the entirety of academy city.

So giving her some leway for a higher noted level (How much testing they are expected to do is determined by their level) would make some sense, especially if they have the data saying she should have a different potential and ability then she actually does now.

They estimated that a level 5 AIM stalker may be worth more than the entirety of academy city.
IIRC the Level Five version of AIM Stalker was said to be able to straight up manipulate an Esper's personal reality through their AIM field*. She'd be capable of Dual Skill anywhere without support from other espers and the title given to this potential version of her was an "Academy Individual" who could fulfill every role that Academy City does in creating and empowering espers but better, making them obsolete.

Theoretically, at level five we could reach a similar level of ability.

*I personally think of it as manipulating a magnet by manipulating it's magnetic field.

any AIM-based ability is amazingly useful, because it gives more understanding of how AIM fields work. so it would be top-tier or nearly top tier in terms of abilities that they would want to fund. If her potential is also high? They might make her out to possibly be the next AIM stalker and spend absolute tons on her. A decent level 5 AIM ability is worth more then anything except a level 6 (Except perhaps to the director), because they can basically do everything that academy city does without the resources. They estimated that a level 5 AIM stalker may be worth more than the entirety of academy city.
it a good thing a Kihara is already working on us

cause if we raise our power higher, we are basically Rensa, the Anti-Esper Cyborg

heck, our power work similar-ish to the AIM Receptor

[X][Senpai] Konori Mii, the Chief of Branch 177. She's a Clairvoyant.

You know. I somehow missed that our caretaker is a Kihara.

I have to wonder why first off would a Kihara take us in when we're just a child error, level 0 who showed up by accident and would be so easy to make disappear. I guess she might not have needed anyone to experiment on at the time too.

But that also explains where I get the slight twinges off our character having beaten wife syndrome with her. Our character almost sounded like she was going to freeze up and shiver if the doctor aimed her colder side at her.

Edit: Might be the wrong phrase. The doctor probably sees it as Pavlov-esque conditioning.

Last edited:
You know. I somehow missed that our caretaker is a Kihara.

I have to wonder why first off would a Kihara take us in when we're just a child error, level 0 who showed up by accident and would be so easy to make disappear. I guess she might not have needed anyone to experiment on at the time too.

But that also explains where I get the slight twinges off our character having beaten wife syndrome with her. Our character almost sounded like she was going to freeze up and shiver if the doctor aimed her colder side at her.

Edit: Might be the wrong phrase. The doctor probably sees it as Pavlov-esque conditioning.

I saw it more as the doctor being a really nice person usually, and always to Hanako, but occasionally being a Kihara at other people.
And Hanako is a 10 year old until-now level 0 runaway child error, with the doctor being her benefactor, so even without any conditioning or 'beaten wife syndrome' i think it'd be obvious she wouldn't want to press her luck.

And, i mean, there are 'good' Kihara's. Not very many, and even the nicer ones are still Kihara's, but there's still hope.

I saw it more as the doctor being a really nice person usually, and always to Hanako, but occasionally being a Kihara at other people.
And Hanako is a 10 year old until-now level 0 runaway child error, with the doctor being her benefactor, so even without any conditioning or 'beaten wife syndrome' i think it'd be obvious she wouldn't want to press her luck.

And, i mean, there are 'good' Kihara's. Not very many, and even the nicer ones are still Kihara's, but there's still hope.
I saw it as her being a Kihara of whom we're currently a side project for. It'd explain the inexplicable deviation from the Parameter List and her being downright benign...but noting that even nice Kiharas can and will go apeshit on the people they like. They may regret it afterwards but that won't mean it hurts less.
Its noted when the parameter list comes up that the higher ups decide the split of resources depending on 1. how high the parameter list thinks they can go and 2. How useful their ability is. For example they spent absolutely tons on AIM STALKER originally because they had high hopes in how useful she would be if they got her to level 5. However when her ability stopped increasing much and they weren't getting much more data on her they stopped caring so much.
Stopped caring so much about sustainability to be precise. Because if she wasn't a long term asset then she's to be...used up

Stopped caring so much about sustainability to be precise. Because if she wasn't a long term asset then she's to be...used up
Your comment gave me an idea.
Normal magic is all about faith, with a whole bunch of non-magical worshipers who can't do magic also.
For normal religions whatever your 'god' says is right is right and moral.
What are the morals of scientists in academy city? Do whatever will advance science the most.
So in aleisters new version of magic they are worshiping/following science! Whatever is right by science is the right thing to do!
It also makes sense with what the angel guy says to accelerator.
Espers are his version of magic users and scientists are his version of clergy and worshipers.

Back