[X][Stunt] Summation
[X][Stunt] Snap Shot

Would Snap Shot help with the info dumpiness of Summation? I assume it would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be a bit contrary
[X][Stunt] Snapshot
[X][Stunt] Dawn
Blueprint and creation, the exact thing need to repair, reverse engineer, or breakdown, anything we can get our hands on.

Also crazy unrelated thought, what would happen if we used our power on Index. I mean we'd probably die but in the off case we survive things would get crazy. A copy of the Index.

Last edited:
[ ][Stunt] Summation
Fate vibes, also possible science route, also without the minutes/hours limit of other options.
[ ][Stunt] Recreation

The Ur-Example of this kind of Stunt is the famous 'Railgun' Stunt that Level 5 Electromaster Misaka Mikoto has developed. She actually first developed the ability at level 3, when she went through a class shift, and during the first time it was being measured, it was assumed that Misaka went through a level shift because the railgun itself was functioning at a level 4 state.
Do you mean a magnetic rifle which turned into her railgun technique? because I thought 1. That she learned to do a railgun at level 5 or High level 4? Though I could be wrong, is it mentioned in the source material somewhere?. and 2. That even highish level 4 Misaka worst can't make a railgun, she uses a magnetic rifle technique.

[ ][Stunt] Summation
Fate vibes, also possible science route, also without the minutes/hours limit of other options.
[ ][Stunt] Recreation

Do you mean a magnetic rifle which turned into her railgun technique? because I thought 1. That she learned to do a railgun at level 5 or High level 4? Though I could be wrong, is it mentioned in the source material somewhere?. and 2. That even highish level 4 Misaka worst can't make a railgun, she uses a magnetic rifle technique.
The Railgun technique can technically be performed by a Level 3. It simply requires the ability to create a freestanding, well ordered electric field, something which is around a level 3's capability given knowledge of Lorenz force, though it wouldn't be very damaging without special ammunition.

The clones use magnetic rifles because its way more efficient to use technological support if you actually want a weapon, using their power to add more bang than the weapon should. Misaka Original uses arcade tokens because at level 5 she doesn't NEED a dense projectile to do massive damage, and her output is high enough that nothing a 14 year old girl could lift could survive a shot.

I figure she named it Railgun in her chuuni phase, but back then its more like a nerf gun.

The clones use magnetic rifles because its way more efficient to use technological support if you actually want a weapon, using their power to add more bang than the weapon should. Misaka Original uses arcade tokens because at level 5 she doesn't NEED a dense projectile to do massive damage, and her output is high enough that nothing a 14 year old girl could lift could survive a shot.

I figure she named it Railgun in her chuuni phase, but back then its more like a nerf gun.
I'm talking specifically about Misaka Worst, who couldn't use a railgun technique (Or a very efficient one atleast) so used a technique to launch nails which is more similar to a magnetic rifle than a railgun.
If a level 3 CAN make the complexity necessary for a railgun, I doubt it would be efficient considering that Misaka worst can't make a efficient one. And misaka worst has 1/5 the power of True misaka and is a highish ranked level 4. So I don't think a level 3 could make a railgun efficient enough to propel them to level 4. Though I could see them making a good magnetic rifle technique to go up a level.

I'm talking specifically about Misaka Worst, who couldn't use a railgun technique (Or a very efficient one atleast) so used a technique to launch nails which is more similar to a magnetic rifle than a railgun.
If a level 3 CAN make the complexity necessary for a railgun, I doubt it would be efficient considering that Misaka worst can't make a efficient one. And misaka worst has 1/5 the power of True misaka and is a highish ranked level 4. So I don't think a level 3 could make a railgun efficient enough to propel them to level 4. Though I could see them making a good magnetic rifle technique to go up a level.
The crux of it is that a railgun isn't complex.
Its very simple, the main problem with railguns IRL is that the wear and tear is absolutely savage on the physical rails, and that at higher power, arcing between rails wasting power, as well as EMP discharge is a significant problem, neither of which are a concern when the rails are psychically projected, geometrically perfect electric charges held in place by your mind.

And heres the thing. You could make a railgun with a car battery, hobbyists do it regularly. It'd convert the electricity to kinetic energy, but it won't be doing much damage because of the low power.

A level 3 Misaka could create a railgun, but it'd hit like a BB gun, and sound cool.

summation seems quite dangerous since it could overload our mind if used on an old enough object

Its very simple, the main problem with railguns IRL is that the wear and tear is absolutely savage on the physical rails, and that at higher power, arcing between rails wasting power, as well as EMP discharge is a significant problem, neither of which are a concern when the rails are psychically projected, geometrically perfect electric charges held in place by your mind.

And heres the thing. You could make a railgun with a car battery, hobbyists do it regularly. It'd convert the electricity to kinetic energy, but it won't be doing much damage because of the low power.

A level 3 Misaka could create a railgun, but it'd hit like a BB gun, and sound cool.
Except is is evidently very hard to do that in the air for electromasters. Even true misaka (The ONLY electromaster to be able to use the railgun technique efficiently). Can only use the railgun 8 times a minute. And Misaka worst can't make a efficient railgun because of its complexity, even though she has 1/5 the power of the original. (Her version doesn't properly use the left hand rule or the lorentz force). Think about it this way, not only do you have to control precisely how the lightning is traveling in the air (Lightning is generally pretty random), you also have to keep it stable for several seconds, as well as doing all that at reasonable power. Considering how low power misaka worst's technique was with 1/5 the originals esper ability, it wouldn't surprise me if a level 3 couldn't do it at all, or atleast only be able to do the easier magnetic rifle version. I'm aware you can make crappy railguns with basic materials, but keeping a stable current through air seems much harder.

Though you do seem to agree that it would be low power, wouldn't upgrade her to level 4.

summation seems quite dangerous since it could overload our mind if used on an old enough object
Depends how its interpreted by the author, The description already mentions its just a 'vague... blur ' of whats happened. So considering that, its possible that either 1. The info gets vaguer and blurrier the older the object is. 2. It just takes more time to pass through the knowledge of what happened (but may not take more energy) or 3. That it has a secret limit to the max amount of time it can read, perhaps measured in years (Keeping in mind it seems to be how long the object has been in that particular shape considering the abilities note the box was just made). Or Option 4. Magic/The information isn't stored in the brain, but is stored in the persons personal reality.

Last edited:
Except is is evidently very hard to do that in the air for electromasters. Even true misaka (The ONLY electromaster to be able to use the railgun technique efficiently). Can only use the railgun 8 times a minute. And Misaka worst can't make a efficient railgun because of its complexity, even though she has 1/5 the power of the original. (Her version doesn't properly use the left hand rule or the lorentz force). Think about it this way, not only do you have to control precisely how the lightning is traveling in the air (Lightning is generally pretty random), you also have to keep it stable for several seconds, as well as doing all that at reasonable power. Considering how low power misaka worst's technique was with 1/5 the originals esper ability, it wouldn't surprise me if a level 3 couldn't do it at all, or atleast only be able to do the easier magnetic rifle version. I'm aware you can make crappy railguns with basic materials, but keeping a stable current through air seems much harder.

Though you do seem to agree that it would be low power, wouldn't upgrade her to level 4.
Every X-kinetic we've seen at level 3 and above can create simple geometrical shapes(remember the Academy City paradigm is that their powers are defined by and constructed mathematically, ironically simplifying some otherwise extremely difficult endeavors, which is why they're actually BETTER at making perfect spheres, absolutely straight beams and the like than their level would otherwise indicate...which also makes most espers dead easy to counter in combat because of how predictable their moves can get, even Accelerator can be yoinked with that with some prep), though only level 4s have been shown to sustain energetic phenomenon larger than their head for more than a dozen seconds or so.

That said I wouldn't dispute that its likely insufficient to justify leveling up, what we've seen of Misaka Original is that where she REALLY excels over her clones is the finesse and utility work, as well as the sheer amount of multitasking she demonstrates in combat. Thats what makes her the 3rd ranked. she's just below Dark Matter in versatility simply on account of how she can fully utilize electromagnetism.

My interpretation of it was that younger Misaka deliberately cultivated the Railgun technique to show off, because her true ability is difficult to quantify. Its easy to show progress in terms of deliverable kinetic force, its dramatic(her school built a testing area which pretty much ensures that everyone for a mile around can hear her, and everyone on campus can feel the building vibrate whenever she practices) compared to the more technically impressive feat of assuming direct control over her drugged body with her bioelectricity WHILE using her power offensively, or directly hacking wireless signals with her mind, with no interface.

Depends how its interpreted by the author, The description already mentions its just a 'vague... blur ' of whats happened. So considering that, its possible that either 1. The info gets vaguer and blurrier the older the object is. 2. It just takes more time to pass through the knowledge of what happened (but may not take more energy) or 3. That it has a secret limit to the max amount of time it can read, perhaps measured in years (Keeping in mind it seems to be how long the object has been in that particular shape considering the abilities note the box was just made). Or Option 4. Magic/The information isn't stored in the brain, but is stored in the persons personal reality.
4 is a big part, but I think what happens is you get well...a summary.
Your friend's hairclip might tell you how often she wears it, and where.
An ancient museum hairpin probably would return "relic of X century" because thats the summation of it!

Uh, I mostly just watch the anime, but I'm pretty sure Misaka Worst does use the railgun. That's what she's doing when she shots the nails at Accelerator right? So why are you guys saying she can't use it when she does several times over?

Uh, I mostly just watch the anime, but I'm pretty sure Misaka Worst does use the railgun. That's what she's doing when she shots the nails at Accelerator right? So why are you guys saying she can't use it when she does several times over?
Quibbling over terminology.
Railguns just translate electric force into kinetic force, so technically she and all the Sisters can do railguns.

However RailgunTM​ as Misaka Original's trademark move works a lot more like a NAVAL railgun, albeit with ammo in a couple grams instead of the actual full sized slugs(which we do see Misaka use against a mecha for more kick, but would not fit in an underskirt holster)

Every X-kinetic we've seen at level 3 and above can create simple geometrical shapes(remember the Academy City paradigm is that their powers are defined by and constructed mathematically, ironically simplifying some otherwise extremely difficult endeavors, which is why they're actually BETTER at making perfect spheres, absolutely straight beams and the like than their level would otherwise indicate...which also makes most espers dead easy to counter in combat because of how predictable their moves can get, even Accelerator can be yoinked with that with some prep)
It isn't exact (We see that exactness is something that they measure you on in the system scans, also we have mentions of peoples abilities being off by a certain amount like kurokos), but yes it is based scientifically so it can be predictable (like the guy who can only teleport behind you). However I'd argue that something like electricity that moves semi-randomly through the air and is constantly at very very high speeds could be harder to control, Especially since that seems to be CANON considering misaka is the only electomaster who can make an effective railgun and misaka worst couldn't. Its not a matter of generating straight lightning, its a matter of controlling lightning to be straight, which may take ALOT of very fast calculations.
From the description accelerator gives it seems to be based more on pure magnetic force (Sort of like having attracting magnets in front of the projectile while having repelling magnets behind the projectile), whereas railguns also use lorentz force. So misaka worst's is sort of like a coil gun or a gauss rifle? Its also way less powerful then misakas railgun considering the nails can be stopped by a human body / does little damage to the environment when the originals wrecks steel etc.

Last edited:
The Railgun technique can technically be performed by a Level 3. It simply requires the ability to create a freestanding, well ordered electric field, something which is around a level 3's capability given knowledge of Lorenz force, though it wouldn't be very damaging without special ammunition.

Every X-kinetic we've seen at level 3 and above can create simple geometrical shapes(remember the Academy City paradigm is that their powers are defined by and constructed mathematically, ironically simplifying some otherwise extremely difficult endeavors, which is why they're actually BETTER at making perfect spheres, absolutely straight beams and the like than their level would otherwise indicate...which also makes most espers dead easy to counter in combat because of how predictable their moves can get, even Accelerator can be yoinked with that with some prep), though only level 4s have been shown to sustain energetic phenomenon larger than their head for more than a dozen seconds or so.

That said I wouldn't dispute that its likely insufficient to justify leveling up, what we've seen of Misaka Original is that where she REALLY excels over her clones is the finesse and utility work, as well as the sheer amount of multitasking she demonstrates in combat. Thats what makes her the 3rd ranked. she's just below Dark Matter in versatility simply on account of how she can fully utilize electromagnetism.

My interpretation of it was that younger Misaka deliberately cultivated the Railgun technique to show off, because her true ability is difficult to quantify. Its easy to show progress in terms of deliverable kinetic force, its dramatic(her school built a testing area which pretty much ensures that everyone for a mile around can hear her, and everyone on campus can feel the building vibrate whenever she practices) compared to the more technically impressive feat of assuming direct control over her drugged body with her bioelectricity WHILE using her power offensively, or directly hacking wireless signals with her mind, with no interface.
Quibbling over terminology.
Railguns just translate electric force into kinetic force, so technically she and all the Sisters can do railguns.

However RailgunTM​ as Misaka Original's trademark move works a lot more like a NAVAL railgun, albeit with ammo in a couple grams instead of the actual full sized slugs(which we do see Misaka use against a mecha for more kick, but would not fit in an underskirt holster)
It isn't exact (We see that exactness is something that they measure you on in the system scans, also we have mentions of peoples abilities being off by a certain amount like kurokos), but yes it is based scientifically so it can be predictable (like the guy who can only teleport behind you). However I'd argue that something like electricity that moves semi-randomly through the air and is constantly at very very high speeds could be harder to control, Especially since that seems to be CANON considering misaka is the only electomaster who can make an effective railgun and misaka worst couldn't. Its not a matter of generating straight lightning, its a matter of controlling lightning to be straight, which may take ALOT of very fast calculations.

From the description accelerator gives it seems to be based more on pure magnetic force (Sort of like having attracting magnets in front of the projectile while having repelling magnets behind the projectile), whereas railguns also use lorentz force. So misaka worst's is sort of like a coil gun or a gauss rifle? Its also way less powerful then misakas railgun considering the nails can be stopped by a human body / does little damage to the environment when the originals wrecks steel etc.
So I am coming down with the official statement that it is a primarily a matter of finesse. Technically the Misaka Clones and Worst can do a Railgun, but it's less energy effective for them to do so then it is for Misaka.

From a Mechanics point of view, Essentially Misaka bought Stunts that increases her voltage and makes the Railgun more effective and the Misaka Network ended up chosing Stunts that go into full on Telepathy and offload the math into the network (and the creation of the Will of the Network and that whole thing)

4 is a big part, but I think what happens is you get well...a summary.
Your friend's hairclip might tell you how often she wears it, and where.
An ancient museum hairpin probably would return "relic of X century" because thats the summation of it!
A little bit of 1 and a little bit of 4.

A couple of good comparisons would be - A fresh new pencil right out of the package would get you a very detailed explanation of how it was made, the whole of the process because it only really has those experiences to call back to.

An old wooden ruler used by a teacher as a means of discipline and as a teaching implement for 50 years would give you a sort of vague feel for what was being taught and a very solid idea of how ti was used to punish children.

Were you to use it on a World War 2 tank, you would have a very vague understanding of the years that passed with nothing happening, but since nothing happened during those years the data there would be overwhelmed by the years of heavy use, and you would essentially know how to use every different position in the tank because of how Hard it was used during those years.

But for something like an ancient sarcophagus, the sheer amount of history would make finding any particulars about what happened to it over the years near impossible.

Lunaryon I noticed that with the amount of stat points we could assign we were always going to be below average on stats compared to our peers (since you put 5 as the average for our age in acedemy city whereas we couldn't even get all our stats to 4). Was this intentional or did you just not particularly think about it?

Last edited:
Back