TreeQuest: Magitech (Riot Quest)

I shall continue attempting to better understand animals until such a time as I can successfully grow a plant-animal hybrid kaiju. Or something else distracts me.

I could totally see my tree doing some (element) Within stuff in the future - there is so much potential with that capability. (It was really interesting to learn about it, so kudos on that feature!)

Actually, hmm, I wonder if there is a way to do a generic Elemental Within action, or would it be better to try and do it element by element.

Something I just realized: It's basically guaranteed to be less than Water would get, but I wouldn't be surprised if rainy weather improves Ice; rain tends to be cold (which is Ice's whole thing) and is always wet (Ice is typically made of water), so while the rain would put Fire out, it might get converted into more Ice.

@Robinton Am I on to something here, or just grasping at straws to justify attacking with Ice right now?

I shall continue attempting to better understand animals until such a time as I can successfully grow a plant-animal hybrid kaiju. Or something else distracts me.
If you want to do that then you probably need to extend our Growth magic to animals, getting the "pattern" of a connected creature is the least complicated to do it so write-ins trying to do that would be good.

Something I just realized: It's basically guaranteed to be less than Water would get, but I wouldn't be surprised if rainy weather improves Ice; rain tends to be cold (which is Ice's whole thing) and is always wet (Ice is typically made of water), so while the rain would put Fire out, it might get converted into more Ice.

@Robinton Am I on to something here, or just grasping at straws to justify attacking with Ice right now?
Ice will be almost guaranteed to deal less direct damage than the other attack types, especially as a Focus action, but would be able to slow down the vines to some extent as a side effect.

Time to take a look at the vote tally again! I'm only going to be paying attention to the fight with the Vines though.

BEAVERS NEED AT LEAST 2 MORE VOTES TO ATTACK THE VINES INSTEAD OF BUILDING A DAM!

Hopefully, even if people skip the rest of my post, enough people will add the Beavers vote to make a difference.

Coordinate fight against Evil Vines (Communication): 1 Mind Tree, 1 Communication Tree, and 1 Commander Tree are voting for this, which gives it 11 dice. Since it's a write-in, we don't know the results or if there's a DC. We also don't know how it interacts with the Squirrel vote to "Coordinate Anti-Evil Vine War". I think I'll change my Squirrel vote to "Attack the Vines with fire swords", but I doubt enough people will change their Squirrel votes to make a difference.

Tear Off the Vines: I think we need 6 successes to pull this off, and 1 Eldest Tree and 1 Elder Heart Tree are voting for it for an average of 3.5 successes. 2 Mind Trees and 1 Research Tree are throwing 9 dice at researching Intermediate Movement with destructive testing, which gives us a pretty good chance at getting another success. Finally, 1 Heart Tree is voting to "Tear off the Vines-- specifically by patrolling", which I think is mechanically the same as voting just for "Tear Off the Vines"? There's also a Root Tree voting for Telekinesis to remove Vines, but I think that counts as Research with only a 6 contributing to Tear Off the Vines. That's an average of about 5.5 successes so it should be ok that Burn Favor probably doesn't have enough votes to succeed. Unless the Trees voting for the task want to switch to something else?

Blot Out The Sun (Vines): 1 Growth Tree (me) is voting for it for an average of 1 success, which translates into reducing the Vines' growth by 7.5%. With only 2 dice in play, this result could easily be 0 successes.

Fuego! Pyrofuego! Burn!: This has 1 Root Tree, 1 Mind Tree, and 1 Eldest Tree voting for it for an average of 3 successes, which are then multiplied by 3 for enemy weakness and then possibly weakened if it's raining. This task is also one of the leading Focus actions, but I'll address that below.

Focus Actions
The current leading Focus actions in order of popularity are (1) Focused Light Attack with 17 votes, (2 & 3) Focused Light Attack x2 with 12 votes, and (2 & 3) Fuego! Pyrofuego! Burn! with 12 votes. The GM has said that Focused Light Attack does more damage as a Focus Action than Fuego does.

The damage calculations for the Focus actions seem to be:

Fuego! Pyrofuego! Burn! - 3 automatic successes times 3 for enemy weakness = 9, which is possibly weakened by rain.

Focused Light Attack - 3 automatic successes plus 3 more automatic successes from Collector Trees = 6. The 6 automatic successes are then multiplied by 20% from the Lens Trees and an unknown multiplier that has the end result higher than Fuego!. If the multiplier is 1.5, then the end result is either 10.2 or 10.8, depending on if the Lens Tree bonus is also multiplied. If the multiplier is 2, then the end result is either 13.2 or 14.4. If the multiplier is higher, then the difference between Focused Light and Fuego! is even higher.

To do the most damage, we need to have Focused Light Attack in all 3 Focus actions. Each Focus action for Focused Light Attack also gives us at least 1 success in Light Magic Research.

Finally, there are some write-in for attacks, destructive research, and healing our creatures, but I don't have any way of estimating their results to cover them in detail.
Adhoc vote count started by Mount. Elements on Aug 19, 2022 at 6:36 PM, finished with 135 posts and 40 votes.

Last edited:
Coordinate fight against Evil Vines (Communication): 1 Mind Tree, 1 Communication Tree, and 1 Commander Tree are voting for this, which gives it 11 dice.

Looks like one other person swapped off, so I feel good sticking there now.

I think I'll change my Squirrel vote to "Attack the Vines with fire swords", but I doubt enough people will change their Squirrel votes to make a difference.

This actually sounds like a good idea. It probably won't make a difference, but I'll swap my vote over.

That's an average of about 5.5 successes so it should be ok that Burn Favor probably doesn't have enough votes to succeed.
I'll plan to, essentially, burn the favor if you genuinely need it - due to severe bad luck or several people changing their votes - and not otherwise.

Focused Light Attack - 3 automatic successes plus 3 more automatic successes from Collector Trees = 6. The 6 automatic successes are then multiplied by 20% from the Lens Trees and an unknown multiplier that has the end result higher than Fuego!. If the multiplier is 1.5, then the end result is either 10.2 or 10.8, depending on if the Lens Tree bonus is also multiplied. If the multiplier is 2, then the end result is either 13.2 or 14.4. If the multiplier is higher, then the difference between Focused Light and Fuego! is even higher.
Technically speaking, on a very rainy (x0.75 Fire effectiveness) turn, a Fire Focus deals 3 x 3 x 0.75 = 6.75 damage. Light Focus deals (3+3)x1.2 without damage-versus-foe multipliers, and doesn't care about the weather, so it'll be dealing 7.2 damage right there.

As far as multipliers vs Vines: You get 1/8th of all damage dealt, as bonus Fire damage. Then that gets multiplied by all relevant Fire multipliers. So 7.2 Light + (2.025 to 2.7) Fire = 9.225 damage on a very-rainy turn to 9.9 damage on an average-spring turn. Then add on the bonus +0.72 Light experience...

Ultimately:
Fire: Very Rainy 6.75, Normal Spring 9, Drought 10-20.
Focused Light: Very Rainy 9.225, Normal Spring 9.9, Drought 10-12.6.

TL;DR: The more rain, the better Focused Light as a Focus Action. Spring is guaranteed to leave Focused Light at least slightly ahead of Fire, as a Focus Action.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Robinton on Aug 14, 2022 at 11:18 PM, finished with 142 posts and 42 votes.

Interesting results. Gonna be a fun turn I think. Looking forward to seeing how it all develops and what happens.

As a note the idea of us like making 'house trees' sounds super cool. Imagine if we had our own little village area inside the forest.

Oh, random thought - we can expand the Forest for scouting purposes. Build like a 'tree line' that lets us see farther out. Nobody would think twice of trees if they didn't realize we were sapient. That could be useful from a knowledge gathering operation.

Scouting wise, we're probably better off with mobile animals (few people think about birds and squirrels), and actually growing that Sensing Tree.

That is true. Scouting is best with mobile animals. (Birds being the best for air, squirrles on the ground) But I do see the benefit of us having Trees do it for like more focused, always visible monitoring of certain targets. We don't have locations we need to see right now, so I am in no way saying this is a piority, but it could be a useful potential.

Also yeah on the Sensing Tree. That could be useful, especially if its magical sensing and now (like the one failure) due to the tree having actual eyes.

Rolls...

Light/Darkness Attack: A pair of critical successes. Indeed, it would have been a critical and a crit-fail, except for our Unpredictable Tree's reroll on all write-ins!

That is true. Scouting is best with mobile animals. (Birds being the best for air, squirrles on the ground) But I do see the benefit of us having Trees do it for like more focused, always visible monitoring of certain targets. We don't have locations we need to see right now, so I am in no way saying this is a piority, but it could be a useful potential.

Also yeah on the Sensing Tree. That could be useful, especially if its magical sensing and now (like the one failure) due to the tree having actual eyes.
You will learn what all it can sense once you build one, but no it doesn't have actual eyeballs, and yes it can sense light. Also Magic. And Minds. And…

Studying fire and ice magic in general would probably help reduce winter maluses. Not everything is tied up in the negacion research, and it would probably be wise to remember that.

@Robinton Sorry, missed the last turn, and I can't find the final list of options for Magic-focused Elder Trees. Which ones do I qualify for? (I believe most of my research actions were magic related.)

@Robinton Sorry, missed the last turn, and I can't find the final list of options for Magic-focused Elder Trees. Which ones do I qualify for? (I believe most of my research actions were magic related.)
Confirmed: Yeah, your actions have been basically Magic Research, with a lot that were also Ancient-Technology Research. Special Research Tree gets a 7 in either of those, and a 2 in anything else. There were some alternatives discussed, but it's been a bit and I don't remember the details.

BTW, I'm still accepting Action and Tree votes until I actually post the turn. So feel free to contribute a bit more progress to some action or another.

Last edited:
Back