TreeQuest: Magitech (Riot Quest)

Potential monstrous animal (as opposed to monster) we might want to look into: Yatagarasu. Benevolent figure, associated with, among other things, guidance and the sun. If we can find (or make) one, it'd be a massive asset against Vampires. As such, I'm adding the following to my vote...

[ ][Creatures and Allies] We've heard about a three-legged crow with sun-derived powers. Any volunteers among the Corvids?

Page 209 replies:

[][Minor Question] (to morbid Meat-thing missing mushroomness) Mushrooms mighty! Mushrooms many! Mushrooms myriad! Mayhap more mushrooms? Make mushroom map.
Old Man Materson: "Eh? What? Maps out of mushrooms? I think they're more for eating - just don't eat the poisonous ones by accident."

Hearing Materson's comment, Mr. Tavish: "Maps out of mushrooms, you say? I've never managed to make parchment out of mushrooms... Not a particularly practical endeavor, but perhaps an interesting theoretical exercise."

Hearing Mr. Tavish's comment, Ben Grimm: "I think the Forest is asking about researching different types of fungi/mushrooms."

Two dozen miles away, Betty Grimm: Runs into Talanburg's library. "Scan this one!" She pulls out One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore. "Oh, and this one too." A Compendium Of Fungi, 87th edition.

(Next Fungal write-in gets a bonus from reading through the books. Or you could just read the books as the action, which would have its own effects.)

… man, missing updates in a riot quest is the Worst feeling.
What Action were you wanting to take on a missed/skipped turn? No promises, but I might be able to work something in - in terms of Elder Tree Progression, if nothing else.

...Also, I don't see any recent votes that you missed?

"Hmmm... A new monster species, perhaps? Unless you've got objections, like a different monster that already has the same name, we'll be referring to it as Huginn for convenience."

(I feel giving the prophetic bird monster the name of one of Odin's spy-ravens is appropriate.)
"Ah, Thought. And they think ahead - precog. Fair enough."

Are you fine with how I fluffed the Truth Magic thing? As in, if your Illusions can be broken (by me), you need to git gud? Or vice versa that is.
Yeah, that makes sense to me. A sort of short-lived friendly rivalry.

What Action were you wanting to take on a missed/skipped turn? No promises, but I might be able to work something in - in terms of Elder Tree Progression, if nothing else.

...Also, I don't see any recent votes that you missed?
… Wait, is this still the turn after I used my action?

I'm honestly a bit mind-blanked; working days with too little sleep are messing with my day-recollection. 😑

… Wait, is this still the turn after I used my action?

I'm honestly a bit mind-blanked; working days with too little sleep are messing with my day-recollection. 😑
Yeah, I think so.

One thing I obviously forgot to do with the chapter: starting vote countdown.

Note that any old-style Creature/Ally votes will be imported to the new version. I'll have to do it manually, but I'll do it.

Also note that Actions can still be taken after the vote ends (and possibly even slightly after the chapter is posted). Anything consensus-based cannot.

Last edited:
I am in the exact wrong time to write my vote before the timer ends, and writing the vote on the phone is a pain, especially as I would likely want to do a second Sound-omake for new ideas.

Still, it seems like one of those votes that count after.
Can I ask if it was at all possible to get the Dire Bat to assist me? Since, seriously, it should have the best native chance to unlock Sound-magic?

Vote closed
Adhoc vote count started by Randino Treviani on Jun 28, 2024 at 11:39 AM, finished with 131 posts and 50 votes.

[X] Store Resources Against Future Need
    [X] Study Illusions (Magic Elements)
    [X] Grow the Forest
    [X] Raise the Shield
    [X] Research Advanced Movement (Magic Elements) (Movement Research)
    [X] What A Tangled Web We Weave (Magic Elements)
    [X] Design Magic Weapons and Armor (Magic Research)
    [X] Organize a Christmas Concert! Encourage Villagers and any others who want to to participate! Surely the Corvids at least can sing! And perform myself, of course!
    [X] Mining Mushrooms Manifold: grow the mining portion of the fungal network and infrastructure for separating out samples of any interesting minerals that it might find for the researches to poke at.
    [X] Monster Energy (Magic Biology Research) (Biology Research) (Magic) (Esoteric Research)
    [x] Feed the Swarm (Bees)
    [X] Psionic Basics: Optimize usage to improve Range (Psionics) (Esoteric Research)
    [X] Incorporate Plant - Clover
    [X] Research Elder Sensing Trees (Magic Biology Research)
    -[X] An exciting new way of seeing the world! Or at least.. eventually. Let's hurry it up by trying some of them out right now. We have a sensing bush after all, we can use it for prototyping. Now let's see if I can't find a way to taste luck.
    --[X] Also maybe start wandering back towards the rest of the forest. There should be some spare time to do so. Not a priority.
    [X] Return to the main Forest
    [X] Incorporated Growth
    [X] Try to Incorporate the essence of explosion into a nut... but use as little mana as possible
    [X] Rain and Shine
    [X] Flesh, Not of My Flesh (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements)
    [X] Study how the Forest's mind absorbs and process knowledge through some introspection and observation. This probably helps with either discerning illusions or learning how to better study the many, many things we have.
    [X] Salamandastron (Magic Elements) (Magic Research)
    -[X] Practical Testing, that is, its the holidays and lets combo our practicing of illusion magic with making holiday illusions in order to bring about joy to our people.
    -[X] Practical Testing, enhance stories told (and concerts sung) during the festivities with illustrating illusions
    [X] Examine Slimes
    [X] Reverse-engineer Firearms
    [X] Study Truth Magic
    -[X] Practical Testing by trying to discern what is real and what is an illusion from other Trees practicing their Illusion Magic. Who knows, it could help them make their illusions more believable.
    [X] Survival Write-in: Contribute to the Feast! I will be personally attending the celebrations just like last time, I should also take this opportunity to carry the forest's collective contributions to the feast as well (don't forgot to make their favorites! celebrations are the perfect time to do the things you like most!)
    -[X] I wonder what types of odd foods the kids will try this time? seeing their challenge last time was so fun!
    [X] A Little Bit of Gravitas (Magic Elements)
    - [X] Destructive testing if the monster fights are still going on, maybe try to pin something?
    [X] Empty Veil (Void)
    [X] Study the Tea-Kettler's Magical Startle effect
    [X] The Earth Of Your Roots (Magic Elements)
    [X] Contribute to the Christmas Concert Organization
    -[X] Where able, try to use the Concert (and the rest of the Feast and Festivities) to try to secretly help continue to play matchmaker for Marta Yarrow
    [X] Write-In: Assist with planning out the details of Publicly Uproot, with an eye towards deflecting attention away from the Forest and, if practical, fabricating a traitor conspiracy as in Orchestrate a Plot.
    [X] Use the fine-tuned senses and ability to filter out mystical static to investigate the Sensing Trees and try to figure out how we were able to add senses we knew nothing about like Time to them.
    [X] Psionic Basics: Work with both groups of Ants for improved Rerolls (Psionics) (Esoteric Research)

[X] Grow the Forest x2
    [X] Grow the Forest
    [X] Stockpile Thorns
    [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements)
    [X] Mining
    [X] Raise the Shield
    [X] Monster Energy (Magic Biology Research) (Biology Research) (Magic) (Esoteric Research)
    [X] Psionic Basics: Optimize usage to improve Range (Psionics) (Esoteric Research)
    [X] Raise the Shield x2
    [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements) x3
    [X] Grow the Forest x4
    [X] Psionic Basics: Improve Generation for cheaper Connections (Psionics) (Esoteric Research) (Magic Biology Research)
    [X] Psionic Basics: Work with both groups of Ants for improved Rerolls (Psionics) (Esoteric Research)

[X][Squirrel] Assist in Advanced Movement/Biology Research
    [X][Creatures and Allies] Assist in Incorporate Plant: Edible Mushrooms
    [X][Creatures and Allies] We've heard about a three-legged crow with sun-derived powers. Any volunteers among the Corvids?
    [X][Creatures and Allies] Assist in Store Resources Against Future Need

[X] Ancient Bastion Tree
    -[X] 2x Split Focus (Offense/Defense)
    -[X] Special Tree: Shield
    [X] Mind Tree

[X] Any

Here are the actual results.
(Fixed by copying Randino Treviani's. Thanks, by the way!)

Last edited:
Adhoc vote count started by Randino Treviani on Jun 28, 2024 at 11:39 AM, finished with 131 posts and 50 votes.

[X] Grow the Forest
    [X] Raise the Shield
    [X] What A Tangled Web We Weave (Magic Elements)
    [X] Design Magic Weapons and Armor (Magic Research)
    [X] Organize a Christmas Concert! Encourage Villagers and any others who want to to participate! Surely the Corvids at least can sing! And perform myself, of course!
    [X] Mining Mushrooms Manifold: grow the mining portion of the fungal network and infrastructure for separating out samples of any interesting minerals that it might find for the researches to poke at.
    [x] Feed the Swarm (Bees)
    [X] Incorporate Plant - Clover
    [X] Research Elder Sensing Trees (Magic Biology Research)
    -[X] An exciting new way of seeing the world! Or at least.. eventually. Let's hurry it up by trying some of them out right now. We have a sensing bush after all, we can use it for prototyping. Now let's see if I can't find a way to taste luck.
    --[X] Also maybe start wandering back towards the rest of the forest. There should be some spare time to do so. Not a priority.
    [X] Return to the main Forest
    [X] Incorporated Growth
    [X] Try to Incorporate the essence of explosion into a nut... but use as little mana as possible
    [X] Rain and Shine
    [X] Flesh, Not of My Flesh (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements)
    [X] Study how the Forest's mind absorbs and process knowledge through some introspection and observation. This probably helps with either discerning illusions or learning how to better study the many, many things we have.
    -[X] Practical Testing, that is, its the holidays and lets combo our practicing of illusion magic with making holiday illusions in order to bring about joy to our people.
    -[X] Practical Testing, enhance stories told (and concerts sung) during the festivities with illustrating illusions
    [X] Examine Slimes
    [X] Reverse-engineer Firearms
    [X] Study Truth Magic
    -[X] Practical Testing by trying to discern what is real and what is an illusion from other Trees practicing their Illusion Magic. Who knows, it could help them make their illusions more believable.
    [X] Survival Write-in: Contribute to the Feast! I will be personally attending the celebrations just like last time, I should also take this opportunity to carry the forest's collective contributions to the feast as well (don't forgot to make their favorites! celebrations are the perfect time to do the things you like most!)
    -[X] I wonder what types of odd foods the kids will try this time? seeing their challenge last time was so fun!
    [X] A Little Bit of Gravitas (Magic Elements)
    - [X] Destructive testing if the monster fights are still going on, maybe try to pin something?
    [X] Empty Veil (Void)
    [X] Study the Tea-Kettler's Magical Startle effect
    [X] The Earth Of Your Roots (Magic Elements)
    [X] Contribute to the Christmas Concert Organization
    -[X] Where able, try to use the Concert (and the rest of the Feast and Festivities) to try to secretly help continue to play matchmaker for Marta Yarrow
    [X] Write-In: Assist with planning out the details of Publicly Uproot, with an eye towards deflecting attention away from the Forest and, if practical, fabricating a traitor conspiracy as in Orchestrate a Plot.
    [X] Use the fine-tuned senses and ability to filter out mystical static to investigate the Sensing Trees and try to figure out how we were able to add senses we knew nothing about like Time to them.

[X] Grow the Forest x2
    [X] Grow the Forest
    [X] Stockpile Thorns
    [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements)
    [X] Mining
    [X] Raise the Shield
    [X] Raise the Shield x2
    [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements) x3
    [X] Grow the Forest x4
    [X] Psionic Basics: Improve Generation for cheaper Connections (Psionics) (Esoteric Research) (Magic Biology Research)

[X][Squirrel] Assist in Advanced Movement/Biology Research
    [X][Creatures and Allies] Assist in Incorporate Plant: Edible Mushrooms
    [X][Creatures and Allies] We've heard about a three-legged crow with sun-derived powers. Any volunteers among the Corvids?
    [X][Creatures and Allies] Assist in Store Resources Against Future Need

[X] Ancient Bastion Tree
    -[X] 2x Split Focus (Offense/Defense)
    -[X] Special Tree: Shield
    [X] Mind Tree

[X] Any

Here are the actual results.

A thought: How much has that one anti-Malice empire specced into, say, Justice? Because that sounds like a really good counter to Malice, and if they've made Malice-hunting their official policy then I can't see them passing up something so useful (and, perhaps not coincidentally, such a strong safeguard against corruption of their officials).

(This may have something to do with a scenario I was thinking of involving the Woohoos getting Sun/Fire/Justice combo'd into a pile of ash by a Yatagarasu.)

Last edited:
How much has that one anti-Malice empire specced into, say, Justice? Because that sounds like a really good counter to Malice, and if they've made Malice-hunting their official policy then I can't see them passing up something so useful (and, perhaps not coincidentally, such a strong safeguard against corruption of their officials).

If we're talking about "Equal and Opposite" then I'd mark down Kindness as the hypothetical Negation Pair for Malice, but for Justice....

Vengeance sounds like the sort of thing you'd get when Justice and Malice interact.

If we're talking about "Equal and Opposite" then I'd mark down Kindness as the hypothetical Negation Pair for Malice, but for Justice....

Vengeance sounds like the sort of thing you'd get when Justice and Malice interact.
*shrug* Way I see it, Justice is an opposite to Malice in the sense that Justice is "doing things for the benefit of the whole" while Malice is "doing things for the detriment of the whole." Looked at that way, they're definitely a proper Negacion.

Vengeance (aka Revenge) is a likely in-between point which, if looked at loosely enough, could probably Negacion with either (if barely), but I suspect their true results if Negacion'd would be "punishing evildoers with a perhaps unhealthy level of enjoyment" and/or "dirty deeds that overall benefit the whole." Like, an otherwise by-the-book judge who really loves punishing criminals, or an assassin who exclusively targets corrupt officials.

edit: That said, even with Justice I wouldn't condone Malice research, because that risks going too far with Malice, which has been well-established as a Bad Idea.

Last edited:
Further thoughts on Sound, by a Mind
Omake: Further thoughts on Sound, by a Mind.

The battle over, obligations fulfilled and time for more musings.
More time to study their chosen, overlooked phenomena.

Even if they still hadn't found information to confirm their earlier musings, this didn't mean they should stop thinking about the matter from different angles.
Perhaps a different perspective would be easier to reach out to.

This was easier said than done, and they almost moved on to simply focus on the parts they'd already figured out.

But they were a Mind Tree, and it felt wrong to not think more about things.

What they knew for facts were simple:

1. Sound travels, either by bypassing air somehow or going through it.
  2. Sound takes energy to create.
  3. Sound doesn't displace air, just like light doesn't.
  4. It's one of the primary senses of most beings.
This didn't tell them why Sound is created when something happens, just that both nature and people can create it.

They had asked their animal fellows.
It was time to ask some of the villagers.

--

Communicating with humans brought them many a confused glance, mostly.
Apparently, people don't really think about sound as its own thing to focus on.

Magically, Sensing magic and such would reach all senses if you just wanted to locate people, so specifically focusing on Sound was a bit of an odd fixation - or at least, that is how they understood the baffled gazes.

They felt that there was more to sound and Sound magic that could be brought from it.

They had almost given up on finding anything new regarding Sound, until one sentence was given.

-- --

"It's actually a bit funny, but I was taught that sound carries further over calm waters than fields of grass."

-- --

Sound... travels further over - or perhaps through - water..?

Does that mean that whatever sound is, it doesn't need air? Liquids work too - ?

... If air can spread sound.
If liquids can spread sound.
Can solid things do the same, if differing rates?

And if the answer to that is yes, then what is sound?

No, no. First, they should test what was taught.

--

They requested the help of the dire bat. The creature flying to a source of water.

With the help of others, sounds are made. Both from away the water and over it. From different ranges, the bat hovering far above the water, then on the ground, head held close to the water.

Swiftly, they reached confirmation.

----

OOC: A bit smaller omake than the last, but it is working on the same issue as a follow-up.

Last edited:
[X][Action] Write-in: Before you can consider weaponizing sound, you must understand Sound. Further musings (extra omake) should assist on the matter, with the help of the Dire Bat who is naturally more linked to sounds thanks to its species.

A thought: How much has that one anti-Malice empire specced into, say, Justice? Because that sounds like a really good counter to Malice, and if they've made Malice-hunting their official policy then I can't see them passing up something so useful (and, perhaps not coincidentally, such a strong safeguard against corruption of their officials).
I'm thinking 'compassion' might make a good defence against it - as in, using (universal) compassion magic might strip away incoming malice dice, or malice multipliers, but I don't think it'd do anything offensive.

Using (univesal) compassion in a leathal fight might be hard though. Possibly unreasonably hard.

Potential monstrous animal (as opposed to monster) we might want to look into: Yatagarasu. Benevolent figure, associated with, among other things, guidance and the sun. If we can find (or make) one, it'd be a massive asset against Vampires. As such, I'm adding the following to my vote...

[ ][Creatures and Allies] We've heard about a three-legged crow with sun-derived powers. Any volunteers among the Corvids?
Interesting!

Added to potential list of stuff for the turn.

(This may have something to do with a scenario I was thinking of involving the Woohoos getting Sun/Fire/Justice combo'd into a pile of ash by a Yatagarasu.)
The lead of the Shining Concord Empire's Judicial branch is actually a set of enchanted Scales (the weight-measure thing, not the reptiles-shed-them thing). The primary element in said enchantment is Justice.

...On that subject, I should probably note that people have been trying to corrupt / evade / bypass the Scales for centuries, and nobody's ever succeeded - at least to your knowledge. (And note that this includes anything you can easily find in the Minds of several local official or unofficial SCE operatives.)

Though, admittedly, one thing you have to remember: The Scales judge the law fairly. They have a limited ability to judge a law itself to be unfair, but that is (relatively speaking) very much their weakness.

In terms of using it in the field? Yeah, Justice is absolutely one Magic that they know how to train well, without destroying their own people or anything.
As a note, they - who are decidedly not evil but also definitely harsh at times - strongly recommend having some training in Mercy (or equivalent) if you're going to learn a high level of Justice (or equivalent).

One other note: Justice isn't a spectacular counter to Malice, but it's a pretty spectacular counter to 'people that think they can radiate Malice endlessly and never be brought to Justice.'

Kindness or Benevolence or even Charitas/Love can all work.

That or something similar, plausible.

Justice is "doing things for the benefit of the whole"
That's not, technically, its definition - but it can mean something like that. And insofar as it does, yeah you can use it directly against Malice. That's just not the default use (...not unlike Fire Within being a non-default-use of Fire).

Omake: Further thoughts on Sound, by a Mind.
[X][Action] Write-in: Before you can consider weaponizing sound, you must understand Sound. Further musings (extra omake) should assist on the matter, with the help of the Dire Bat who is naturally more linked to sounds thanks to its species.
Omake bonus: Action gets reroll and bonus.
Dire Bat: bonus slightly improved.

...Rolls... That's not the best possible result, but I still think you'll enjoy it.

Using (univesal) compassion in a leathal fight might be hard though. Possibly unreasonably hard.
Talking your opponents down or making it hard for them to attack you.

But still difficult, relative to most other options.

OMG Benevolence! I would love for us to have that element.

So there is a story on Royal Roads called Ar'kendrithyst that has Erick, the protagonist, develop Elemental Benevolence and like I know its not the same, but its awesome.

docs.google.com

TreeQuest - turn and suggestions

[Spoiler="Rolls"] Focus: TODO Spynet? 4+4=8 x2=16 automatic successes into [X] Grow the Forest 4+6=10 automatic successes into [X] Research Advanced Movement (Magic Elements) (Movement Research) 4+6=10 automatic successes into [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements) N...

I have put the in-progress turn into a format that is somewhat-comprehensible and can be seen without excessive spoilers! It's in the very early stages, but nearly all of the write-ins have rough results guidelines included.

I'm not sure it's worth serious analysis yet, but if you want to glance through it please do! At some point, I'm going to be creating a section of "these things need written up and I'd grant free successes for help doing so" - the Write Ins are close, but maybe not quite there yet. Though feel free to make suggestions! The worst I can say is "no."

docs.google.com

TreeQuest - turn and suggestions

[Spoiler="Rolls"] Focus: TODO Spynet? 4+4=8 x2=16 automatic successes into [X] Grow the Forest 4+6=10 automatic successes into [X] Research Advanced Movement (Magic Elements) (Movement Research) 4+6=10 automatic successes into [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements) N...

I have put the in-progress turn into a format that is somewhat-comprehensible and can be seen without excessive spoilers! It's in the very early stages, but nearly all of the write-ins have rough results guidelines included.

I'm not sure it's worth serious analysis yet, but if you want to glance through it please do! At some point, I'm going to be creating a section of "these things need written up and I'd grant free successes for help doing so" - the Write Ins are close, but maybe not quite there yet. Though feel free to make suggestions! The worst I can say is "no."

This was at points kinda hilarious. "Well. Ok." On the one write in that means you now need to develop the settings metaphysics. Also the dice are dead average overall but on a weird spread.

Back