TreeQuest: Magitech (Riot Quest)

//I wonder if we can learn Air/Earth/Fire/Water Magic as a method of looking at the world as something that is both combined and full of its own threads.//

I don't see an obvious problem with that.

I mean, it's probably worth noting that "many things in the world can't easily be expressed through a combination of those four." But the majority can, and a Negacion Quartet would be powerful* even if you only got to Novice, so probably worth looking into.

* And expensive. Can't forget that.

So totally on i t not covering all the aspects of the world, but it is 'elemental' and that might be a useful nature too.

One could also go Air/Earth/Fire/Water/Wood if you want to connect to some philosophies but just the four is nifty too.

We would need to get I think Earth and Air to the Competannt stance before going the combo route, but it could be fun.

I mean my goal is for us to do the Fundamentals/Foundations of Magic action but outside of that working to link the four elements into a single viewpoint could be fun.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Robinton on Jun 24, 2023 at 8:51 PM, finished with 148 posts and 53 votes.

[X] Raise the Shield
    [X] Water/Fire Negacion (Magic Elements)
    [X] Veritas (Magic Elements)
    [X] Rain and Shine
    [X] Study Illusions (Magic Elements)
    [X] Void Forest (Magic) (Void) (Magic Research)
    [X] Veritas
    [X] Investigate Andrewsburg
    [X] Research Advanced Movement (Magic Elements) (Movement Research)
    [X] Explosive Defenses
    [X] Grow Relay Trees
    [X] SWORD MOBILIZATION- TRAINING FOR EVERY ABLED BODY! (Offense)
    [X] Store Resources Against Future Need
    [x] Feed the Swarm (Bees)
    [x] Magical Construct Analysis (Magic Research)
    [X] Unpredictable Adventuring, to finish getting my fast travel book!
    [X] Upgrade Lens Tree
    [x] Continue studying Sensing Trees and how/why they're so weird.
    [X] Design Magic Weapons and Armor (Magic Research)
    [X] Empty Veil (Void)
    [X] What A Tangled Web We Weave (Magic Elements)
    [X] Continue with incorporating Fire Magic into our Laser Beams, but this time collaborate with anyone studying Monster Energy in order to make our Laser Flare™ more effective against Monsters and things of Malice.
    -[X] Destructive testing on hostile fuckers that couldn't be subjugated/assimilated/talked down coming our way during the Malice Storm. This tree is in the mood for some purifying pew pews.
    [X] Talking with the ants was fun. But now there is something evil on the wind. Investigate. Study. Prepare. Exploit.
    [X] Maintain Connection with adventuring Trees.
    [X] Incorporate Plant Sporing Mushrooms
    [X] Covertly converse sneakily with Granny Miller about failed Marta Yarrow romance investigation scheme; Seek her wisdom and advice on the matter (and aid, if she'd be willing to provide it)
    [X] continue to Research Natural Magic and the flow of magical Energies in the World
    [X] try to fill a nut with the concept of sound
    [X] Reverse-engineer firearms
    [X] Grow the Forest
    [X] Mortal, Finite, Temporary (Magic Elements
    [X] Write in: Assist in either Talanburg Full disclosure or subverting the contacts, whichever wins
    [X] Write-in: "Experiment regarding the production of gunpowder or gunpowder equivalents through organic means."
    [X] It seems I need to work more on perfecting my music before I try to infuse it with magic. So, during the chills of winter I will be doing that, trying to find those sounds and combinations thereof that are pleasing to both man, tree, and beast. Hopefully, I will not scare or anger my audience...
    [X] Mining Mushrooms Manifold: grow the mining portion of the fungal network and infrastructure for separating out samples of any interesting minerals that it might find for the researches to poke at.
    [X] Monster Energy
    [X] Continue attempting to design Living Armor.

[X] Grow Relay Trees
    [X] Void Forest (Magic) (Void) (Magic Research)
    [X] Veritas (Magic Elements)
    [X] Bone, Not of My Bone (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements)
    [X] Flesh, Not of My Flesh (Magic Biology Research) (Magic Elements)
    [X] Lethal Pollen (Magic Biology Research)
    [X] Stockpile Thorns
    [X] Grow Relay Trees x2
    [X] Investigate Andrewsburg x2
    [X] Incorporate Plant <Blackberries and Raspberries>
    [X] Raise Shield
    [X] Investigate Death magic.
    [X] Mining
    [X] Explosive Defenses
    [X] Investigate Severing magic.
    [X] Veritas
    [X] Design Magic Weapons and Armor (Magic Research)
    [X] Grow Relay Trees x3
    [X] Grow Relay Trees x4
    [X] Hevel (Magic Elements)
    [X] The Earth Of Your Roots (Magic Elements)
    [X] Store Resources Against Future Need
    [X] Woohoo Spynet Eradication
    [X] Woohoo Spynet Eradication x2
    [X] Woohoo Spynet Eradication x3
    [X] Woohoo Spynet Eradication x4
    [X] Water/Fire Negacion (Magic Elements)
    [X] Water/Fire Negacion (Magic Elements) x2
    [X] Raise Shield x2

[X] Assist with Incorporated Growth
    [X] Lead the squirrel watch over your Forest
    [X] Write-in: Investigate the Talanburg cell's contacts
    [X] Explore your Forest
    [X] Meditate on how Squirrel Sord!
    [X] Incorporated Growth

[X] Focus on growing the Relay Trees

[X] Root Tree

[X] Widen the Cave Entrance (8 dice)
    [X] Built Tunnels
    -[X] From Forest to Newton Village
    [X] Mining for Linestone (8 dice)

[X] Construction Research

[X] Focus on growing the Relay Trees
    [X] Grow the Swarm

[X] Keep Our Creatures Clean
    [X] Incorporate Plant: Magic Mushrooms

[X] Assist with Upgrade Defender Ent
    [X] Investigate Possibility of Plant Corruption and Possible Prevention and Countermeasures
    [X] Teach the Forest Alchemy
    [X] Research the Forest growing Alchemy ingredients
    [X] Research the Forest imbuing Spores to function as alternative Alchemical ingedients

[X] Clan Infiltration
    -[X]1 Focus to investigate and (quietly!) subvert Woo spy network cells where found.
    -[X]Other focus to continue as in "Preparing for & keeping busy in Winter"
    [X] Any
    [X] Retain
    [X] As Much AutoFocus as Possible to Woohoo Spynet Eradication
    [X] Clan Infiltration 2
    -[X] 2 Focus to investigate and (quietly!) subvert Woo spy network cells where found.
    -[X] return to "Preparing for & keeping busy in Winter" afterwards

[X] Contribute to Hevel
    [X] Contribute to a project (Between Silence and Music)

[X] Teach Death Magic

[X] Personal Training: Sord
    [X] Ben & Betty Grim Focus on Education
    [X] Further Focus, use additional Focus for "Incorporate Plant: Magic Mushrooms"

[X][Lesser Wraith] Assist with Void Forest
    [X][Lesser Wraith] Mortal, Finite, Temporary

[X][Lesser Fire Salamander] Salamandastron

[X][Dire Bat] Assist with Monster Energy
    [X][Dire Bat] Search for native Dire Bat populations

[X] Walk away
    [X] Write-in: Focus our efforts on tracking and subverting our known out-of-town contacts. Any actions against the Talanburg cell's interference should be strictly deniable or beneath notice. Walk away if we have to.
    [X] Write-in: Walk away for now, to fully Focus on subverting the spy-network. Return when the network is subverted.
    [X] Stall for perfect proof
    [X] Full disclosure
    [X] Write-in - Run interference with/take over the spynet to prevent it from impacting the negotiations, while gathering as much evidence as possible, for as long as we can make it appear to the spynets handlers that any failures are not noticed or are otherwise attributed to 'bad luck', but make no actual use of it in the treaty negotiations - make a point of dealing with the people of Talanburg fairly, with the intention of presenting all gathered information to relevant Talanburg folk when we believe that our control/interference of the network is at risk of being noticed.

[X][Steve Robertson] Teach Swordsmanship to the Squirrels (et al) (cost: 1 Unusual Lumber and 3 Resources per Turn) (he's not going to be stingy, but he's not going to give something valuable for free… just for cheap) (this will almost certainly give the Forest an upgrade quest - I'm looking at you, Sword Tree)
    [X][Steve Robertson] Teach Swordsmanship to the Squirrels
    [X][Steve Robertson] Talk to the Thinking Ants
    -[X] Make it "Steve Robertson & Avo the Mole"

[X][Spynet Focus] 4
    [X][Spynet Focus] 3
    [X][Spynet Focus] 1
    [X][Spynet Focus] 2

[X][Action] From deep within your stores of biological knowledge accrued over the course of months, begin to grow and gestate a small flesh space of incubation to support life within the trunk of your tree. Your plan is finally coming into fruition…

So what exactly did we choose to do regarding the spy network?
For Talanburg, the "Walkaway" option won.
So we will walk away from the negotiations to have time to deal with the spy network without tipping them off we know about them.
SpynetFocus 4 won, so we will presumably go balls to the walls on that. (Dedicating 4 Focus actions, if we assume no bonuses at all -> 16 autosuccesses; assuming communication actions with minds bonus applying: 26.4 autosuccesses; assuming a generic Research action, where clever trees and general research bonuses apply, but none relevant to that specific research: 76 autosuccesses (questionable likelyhood, but it could be that investigating Andrewsburg opens a research project, like "best deprogramming" or "track the magic used to turn people to turn the ones controlling the spies")).

Then we have 2 Trees on
[ ][Action] Investigate Andrewsburg
-Root out any Woo Clan operatives in Andrewsburg - preferably before they sabotage negotiations this time…

1 researching lie magic
5 researching truth magic
Both assumed to be helpful when dealing with spies.

2 on illusion magic

I mean... my action was to support either full disclosure or taking over the spy network. I presume my roll will be added to somewhere there, then. Honestly, this Riot Quest's voting system still confuses me a ton.

I mean... my action was to support either full disclosure or taking over the spy network. I presume my roll will be added to somewhere there, then. Honestly, this Riot Quest's voting system still confuses me a ton.
Only Robinton really knows, but I'd assume your vote will be interpreted to as aiding the subtle subversion.
Shame only one person tried to do Monster Energy resrarch. Thought there'd be more. Ah well.
If the monster storm causes battle turns, we'll have a bunch of research opportunity for that, at least.

We are kind of worried about the Mind control/spy network right now.
Yeah, there is also monster issues on the horizon.

Wait, what monster storm?
Technically its a malice storm, but malice is very monster related.
Towards the turn's end, however, some sixth sense had the Creatures frantically seek holes to hunker down in - far beyond their normal wintering instincts, which were already starting to kick in as this fall ended.

Even other Creatures not Connected to the Forest seem to have noticed. And the Forest, too, can feel something. A touch of Malice on the wind. Distant, yet not nearly distant enough for anyone's liking. Approaching. From the east…

…You think this has happened before. But it was weaker then - or, maybe, the Forest was smaller. Sleepier. Less Magical. Less attuned. Less affected…

Also, when asked about this ominous weather, he sniffed the wind, tilted his head, wrinkled his nose, and sneezed once. A moment later, a scowl crossed his face. "Malice Storm," he spat. "I might be wrong, but - I've always thought that, where Rain-storms water the Trees, Malice-storms water the Monsters."

And, around the same time, the Unpredictable Tree was warned about the Malice Storm - which it already felt brewing, as did the Uzu - and told to be careful.

Why wouldn't we have multiple concurrent events? The world is big and busy, and at least one of these was something that's been there for years, we just only fount out about it now. Just because the Forset is a scatterbrain doesn't mean the world has to bend to that.

You can change Action votes, but nothing else after the vote closes.

... Why did we have two different events requiring very high focus at the same time?

EDIT: is it too late to change votes?
Generally speaking, after the close personal actions may change, consensus (Focus, our connected partners) actions may not.

Before changing your action, consider that we have lots of people on dealing with the storm too:

4 Trees: Raise the Shield
2 Trees: Rain and Shine (dealing with the weather)
2 Trees: Explosive Defenses
Plus the passives from the special Trees.
And if we actually do get attacked, that starts combat, where we get combat turns to deal with the attackers.

Ack- I'm late I'm late-
For Talanburg, the "Walkaway" option won.
So we will walk away from the negotiations to have time to deal with the spy network without tipping them off we know about them.
SpynetFocus 4 won, so we will presumably go balls to the walls on that

Wait it sounds like what I wanted to happen, happened, without additional effort posting on my end.

Hooray!

[X][Action] Store Resources Against Future Need

Apparently Steve Robertson can't teach Swordsmanship...
...Unless a Hero Unit is learning. Arthur Scrat has Swordssquirrelship at Dabbling, and Ben Grimm has Swordsmanship at Novice.

Do you remember how Ben Grimm failed his Fire learning roll? He critted this turn - almost the best possible result (after his slight bonus from getting additional advice from Materson). Competent.

Ben and Betty Grimm were already working on Fire/Water, so I let them just bonus that project, and the Bees joined in... and then that overflowed to about three other projects ending in +8ish to Spynet eradication. Plus Ben and Betty now have a Novice Negacion Pair, which is... somewhat impressive by normal standards.

I think this spreadsheet is saving me time, but I'm not completely sure. Then again, I'm still having to build chunks of it, and a number of those should just work on subsequent turns...

Do you remember how Ben Grimm failed his Fire learning roll? He critted this turn - almost the best possible result (after his slight bonus from getting additional advice from Materson). Competent.
This is so fitting, considering what Materson said:
After another long moment of thought, he added, "One other thing - if you're teaching the Grimm kids. There's a time to teach, and a time to not. There's a time to show a kid the ropes, or correct them. But there's a time to let them try somethin' and fail. 'Cause it'll remind them that failure ain't the worst.

"Thinkin' failure's the worst. That's worse than just bein' dumb. That's…" he shook his head. "That means you'll never really try."

Last edited:
Talanburg, my interpretation of the votes spread: Walk away, but stall long enough to ensure we've compromised the Woo Clan spynet in Talanburg - and every other cell it can contact.

What - in particular - confuses you?

Shame only one person tried to do Monster Energy resrarch. Thought there'd be more. Ah well.
Hilariously enough, it's only now as I'm typing up the update, that I realize Monster Energy research should be buffed this turn. :p

How did my tree do this turn, lol?
Mediocre. Good enough to fire Lasers. Bad enough to have no true breakthroughs.
Forgot about your Omake bonus.

Last edited:
The Spynet Focus activates, right?
Yep!

By my current analysis, I think you will manage to identify the spynet in every town on your area map. Maybe a little bit of overflow beyond that, or maybe not quite all but close. There might be a few individuals who you miss, but you should get virtually all of it.

The next question will be whether to yank it out of everywhere now, or whether to start working around to the eastern face of the Woo Clan

Last edited:
Back