Voting is open
It's the subway passenger that MAXWELL started talking to the day we hung out with him. He thinks MAXWELL is our brother.

The Chief is the real final boss of this quest.

>CatCafe bonus roll: 5d6e5 = 5⊕ 6⊕ 5⊕ 2 1 → 3 successes
>Massive Success! +10 DETERMINATION!
>Offscreen you played Otome Games! EMPATHY has increased! ♪♪♪♪♪♪
>EMPATHY has increased to Rank 6 [Riajuu]!

Ohhhhhh, how nice +10 Determination! Also Rank 6 Riajuu status.

The temp-job grind continues to gain STATS and CASH!

Our stats continue to grow stronger, soon we'll be cruising through Social Links and being free to take any action with minimal Determination costs.

05/25: OVERWORK [STRENGTH Rank 1]
SUNDAY - May 25, 2025
Midnight

There's nothing memorable about this man. His face, his posture, and the way his clothes sit on his frame are all completely normal and unremarkable. There is not a single defining feature— a man you'd pass by on the street a hundred times without ever taking note.

But this was the man MAXWELL singled out amongst the crowd. A source of strong power. You didn't pay it any heed at the time, busy in the act of wrangling MAXWELL. But now, alone with him, you can sense him ringing in your skull. Less pain, just a strange overburdened pressure. A cup overfilled to the brim yet simultaneously empty.

"Were you... out working?"

He even has the expression you've seen a thousand times and more. Bloodshot sclera, bags under his eyes, and pupils that seem almost devoid of life. It must be the same eyes you're wearing now. He sees you in them, almost as if recognizing you as part of the herd.

You packed your schedule tight this week, didn't you?

"Yes, but just part-time work," you explain quickly, lest he draw unkind conclusions about what kind of work brings a high school girl to Shinjuku at midnight. "Just lost track of the time. You?"

He blinks twice in quick succession, almost surprised to have been answered. "Had to stay late in the office. You know how it is."

"Ah... I don't? I just work part-time. Uh... Kashiwazaka Hiyori, pleased to meet you," you say quickly, giving a short bow to the stranger who helped you.

"Suzuki Satoru, Appliance Sales Representative with Amazing Commodities Incorporated."

You don't even bother to ask how appliance sales require a salaryman to stay in the office till midnight. The more you hear about office culture the more you want no part in it.

"Ah, thank you for holding the door. Oh, and for humoring my brother! He can be a strange drunk," you reply with a smile, trying to keep the conversation going. There's a tinge of frustration you can't fully suppress, the moment you finally manage to finish your work, your 'fifth' job rears its ugly head. You doubt you would've exchanged three words with this stranger had it not been for MAXWELL's warning.

He looks past you. "Of course, it's no trouble. Just be more careful in the future, and watch the time..." He mumbles to himself, before turning back to staring at his feet.

Suzuki isn't making this easy. You feel as though the two of you are talking at different speeds, the moment he starts to speak it feels like he's already lost any will to finish his own sentence.

You wince, the dull lighting of the train suddenly shifting to a deep crimson.

A strange twisting occurs in your mind. A golden man in a mask places his hand on your shoulder, the Archon within your mind melting into your soul for the briefest of moments. For some reason your Persona... recognizes him. For a second you can imagine Suzuki sitting there, in this same pose, surrounded by a hundred men with the same eyes. The darkness of the subway tunnel gives way to harsh red light, geometric blocks, and a shining golden grail in the center of the city. You see him, unwilling to resist, accepting his fate to be one in the herd, even as they march in lockstep to their collective ruin.

The Archon in your soul shudders as you shake your head, leaving you with a splitting headache.

What was it MAXWELL said? There was once something here, in the metro. A curse, some great disaster, averted by a prior user of the Persona. A once great god of control— now reduced to mere vestiges. For better or worse, Suzuki Satoru has been granted freedom. Freedom to make his own choices.

So what did he choose to do? Where did that Freedom bring him?
Back here? Why? Why was he here? Why were you?
What's the point of all this... work?

"Why... did you come back?" The words spill out from your mouth before you realize it.

Suzuki blinks. For the first time, he sees you. He's listening and engaging instead of merely existing. "I suppose I did," he finally says, after a long minute of silence. "I could ask the same of you. Why are you doing this..?"

You don't explain to him. He doesn't explain to you. You both know what he's asking you about. Even without supernatural forces an agent of control still has him strung up.

Work.

"I, uh, need the money..." you mumble. It's not as if you enjoy working. To you, money would be the only reason to work. Ostensibly, it would be the reason this man works. "And it's good to have something to do..."

It's a hollow response to his hollow question.

"I do this because..." Suzuki stares up at the ceiling as if the answer would be written for him in the fluorescent lights. "It's what society expects of us. So I can stay clothed and fed. Same as everyone."

It's the common answer, from a common man.

"Is this what... being an adult is?" Talking to him, you can't help but see yourself in his shoes. After everything was over, the VR threat, the heroics, where would you be? There were celebrities, housewives, and all sorts of ways to make it in your world. But you've seen them over the streets; by sheer volume you know what's your most likely fate.

A dead-eyed office drone, rushing to catch the last train home.

"You're young. But yes, work is unavoidable. And the more you do, the more is expected of you," Suzuki explains with a sigh. "But you shouldn't live for work. It's best to find something to live for outside of it. Is there anything that you enjoy doing?"

Of course!

You loved playing video games— until SAO robbed that of you...
You once liked building gunpla— years ago, and it was more dad's hobby than your own. You haven't bought anything since that one time.
You liked to eat— but doesn't everyone?

You...

Oh god.

Between diving into VR horror shows, stealing superpowers from random citizens, and eating your body weight in sweets, what did you like to do? W-was everything about your life suddenly warped around your strange work?

B-but it's fun! Beating monsters, saving worlds, kicking the butts of evildoers, being a hero! But it's also your job, as much a task foisted upon you by disembodied voices in your head can be called that.

Were you...

A workaholic?

"Then what about you?" You desperately trying to avoid the existential dread of discovering your life revolves around your work. "What do you do for fun? Or... relaxation?"

He stares at you in a strange silence, leaning forward ever so slightly. He even mentioned to MAXWELL that had a hobby. A work-to-play attitude, perhaps?

"I... do dive, when I have the time..." he says, probably not referring to swimming.

"D-do you, uh, play VRMMOs perchance?" It seemed that's all anyone did with their spare time these days. "I used to play a lot of Alfheim Online, haha... spent a lot of time as a Sylph named «Lux»..."

His head snaps towards you with the sound of a cracking whip. Before you had his interest, and now? Now you had the full unbridled attention of a man you were quickly starting to suspect was not entirely sane.

"Alfheim Online. A rip-off, a pathetic facsimile of a greater product. Garbage, nothing more than the castoffs of the great YGGDRASSIL." The spark that's missing in Suzuki's eyes returns, and you hear his voice properly for the first time. "Do I understand you true? You play this... Alfheim Online, despite knowing all this!?"

Y-you were just trying to make small talk! Did you say something wrong already!?

"Nonono, it was a total kusoge, worst thing ever!" you quickly agree, lest Suzuki jump out of his seat. "T-the main GM was an asshole, and the faction system was terrible. No build variety. I got out as fast as I could! B-but what a small world, I've heard of YGGDRASIL! I think Sigurd also played—"

"SIGURD THE BRIGHT LORD!? BANE OF FAFNIR? THE USURPER OF ALFHEIM!?"

Sigurd of the what?
"I-it was probably a different Sigurd! We weren't exactly friends... well maybe we were? He did give me all his stuff—"

"SO YOU HAVE INHERITED HIS TITLE! Hahaha. HAHAHA! MUAHAHAHA!" You've never seen a man jump from boredom to pure joy as fast as Suzuki is doing just now. "Yes, yes, that snake wouldn't just vanish without a plan. To think he would send his protégé rather than face me directly, hmm, a craven through and through." Suzuki laughs, not out of any mirth, but relief. Your extremely tangential relationship to a game you've never played before somehow fully animates him.

"W-wait, a minute, I'm not the prot—"

"Do not debase yourself with simple lies. You have already revealed your name to me: Lux, scion of Sigurd the Bright Lord! I see through your simple attempts at deception, Sigurd did much of the same. Consider yourself blessed that we have met on neutral ground, not after what he stole."

"I think you might be misundersta—"

"Do you know of your master's great shame? He is a thief. Usurper. The «World Champion of Álfheim» is the sole property of «Ainz Ooal Gown»! HE HAD NO RIGHT TO SEIZE IT FOR HIMSELF!" Suzuki's voice rings out with impotent rage at Sigurd, the weird gamer who had some vendetta against the Sylph leaders. Guess, uh, Suzuki was his arch-nemesis or something in YGGDRASIL? So did that make them... friends? Frenemies?

"Y-you know, even if it is the same Sigurd, he probably wasn't—"

Suzuki doesn't give you a chance to get a word in. He just starts ranting. It's a minutes-long screed about the indignity of Sigurd, mixed with so much game jargon you could barely follow along. Something about Sigurd stealing the title from some guildmate called «Touch Me». Which was probably for the best, a guy with that name could only be a pervert of the highest caliber.

It's hard to follow but in YGGDRASIL the servers were split into 9 realms, of which Álfheim was one of the main ones populated by elves and angel classes. The strongest warrior of the server would be granted the title of «World Champion» in some grand tourney, something Sigurd evidently stole from Suzuki's guildmate by... showing up to the tournament and winning it uncontested because the previous holder hadn't logged in for months. Which explains how Sigurd of all people could win such a lofty title.

"Sigurd was known for his tricks. But when he went as far as deleting his account... I thought he left with all the rest." Suzuki's melancholy reappears, but only briefly. "But to think he has chosen a successor! I shall face his legacy once more with the full might of the «Great Tomb of Nazarick»!"

"Uh, again, I'm not—"

Suzuki holds up his hand, demanding you listen. Through the contours of his face mask, he's smiling. "I hold no ill will against you. The sins of the father do not extend to his children. But I will not suffer disrespect towards «Ainz Ooal Gown», so long as you hold the title that rightfully belongs to my guild. Consider this your official challenge. I will make sure you experience every inch of the agony I inflicted upon Sigurd the Usurper."

Talking with him is like talking to a brick wall. Or like... talking with Shino...

"Suzuki-san, I truly have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not the World Champion of anything—"

"So you have allowed the title to lapse? Sloppy. But you have inherited the will of Sigurd, thus I will see to it you reclaim the title. So that I may rip it from your hands like Sigurd did from the hands of Touch Me!"

"Y-you can have it, I honestly don't want—"

"You know who I am, all do by now. So take as much time as you'd like to prepare. Bring your army, bring your entire realm. It will not serve you. The «Great Tomb of Nazarick» stands unopposed, and I shall destroy you as I have done to all the rest."

Another case of VR Psychosis? But you already have GGO to deal with. There were hundreds of SEED VRMMOs out there, you couldn't be running around each of them, it took you months just to finish Alfheim!

"Suzuki-san, really, I must decline. This is all just a big misunder—"

Your final protest is interrupted by the intercom, announcing one last stop. Suzuki perks up instantly, rising out of his seat in a single smooth motion, grabbing his suitcase, and starting towards the door. His excitement has evaporated like the morning fog, his mood fully reverted to a listless shuffling of his feet.

"You have my thanks for keeping me company, but this is my stop." He nods solemnly, the sleepy man contrasting heavily with the fervor he just displayed moments earlier. But you still see a spark of interest linger in his eyes.

"It's, uh... it was nice meeting you... I think...?"

The door slides shut. You're left with silence, staring at the empty train car, now occupied only by yourself. What the hell have you gotten yourself into again?

Hey. Don't have anything to add? Could've warned me about him!
I'm not here at your damn beck and call! Boring salaryman, so what?

What do you think? Did you notice anything?
Besides him being crazy? You're lucky he wasn't a train groper, for one. That's my ass too, and you're not doing a great job at protecting it.

He has VR Psychosis, just like Shino did. There's something strange going on with YGGDRASIL, just as with every other VRMMO. You can't ignore this, who knows what's going on in that—
Shut up and think. I know you realize how stupid of a statement that just was.

Look, it's clearly VR Psychosis! He could just be like Sugou, there could even by some insane entity in YGGDRASIL planning on manifesting a new world. It's just like with Alfheim it's—

It's YGGDRASIL.

The trash VRMMO that tried to compete with SAO. A game derided as a microtransaction ridden hellscape.

A game that was shutting down.
A game that was made alongside SAO, not developed after like all the rest of the VRMMOs.
A game without the SEED. A game that Kayaba Akihiko had nothing to do with.

See?

There was no emergency. Suzuki doesn't have VR Psychosis, it's impossible without the SEED being involved. Now that you think about it, he... got up and made his train stop. And you didn't see any strange avatar overlaying his body, like you did with Shino. In fact, you have no idea who he even is beyond the rambling name of his guild.

Did he just... have an honest misunderstanding? Or just... regular crazy? You've never had to deal with regular crazy before.
No. He's a lonely loser looking for any excuse to play his stupid game, and he roped you into it.

He didn't rope you into anything. He's a random stranger you met on the train! If he was in no danger then what obligation do you even have to answer his so-called challenge? What could you even do as a new player, it's not like you can do avatar conversion with YGGDRASIL.
You'll answer his challenge. I'm sure a dying game has generous new player bonuses. Hell, if this Suzuki guy wants a challenge so badly just make him give you some of his gear or something. Bet he's got bucket fulls.

What? No, if he's not crazy, then what's the point of getting involved?
Duh, same reason you get involved with every other weirdo in this city. Can't you feel it? No? You'll feel it soon. Cause this shit?

I AM THOU, THOU ART I.

THE SOVEREIGN SITS UPON HIS EMPTY THRONE.

HE NEEDS NO PURPOSE. HE CARES NAUGHT FOR WAR NOR PEACE.

FOR ABSOLUTE POWER HAS ALREADY BEEN SEIZED.

WHAT MORE DOES ONE NEED BUT STRENGTH UNYIELDING?

TO GRANT YOU POWER TO DESTROY THE HEAVENS.

It spikes into you like a thousand burning needles, filling your vision with static as you grasp your head. You've used powerful Personas, even ones granted by your sponsor, but nothing like this. It's the pain of dying mixed with the sensation of being dragged back to life. It feels like every brain cell in your body is tearing itself apart— as it's being filled with absolute power—
This shit is lit.

SUNDAY - May 25, 2025
Velvet Room

Speak now the truth of the world. The strong rule, the weak cower.

So bleed and kill for that most precious of treasure. And when it is seized?

The World is Yours. Shame you will have no one to share it with.

He knows not what he wants. So he will simply take everything.
An Undying Body. An Unbreakable Mind. An Untouched Land.
Unalienable Servants. Unending Greed. Unlimited Power.
STRENGTH believes that with power comes happiness.
Such a small dream for a small, broken soul.
In this world he is alone, company with naught but fleeting pain.
And he will be alone in the next, company with naught but eternal torment.
But fear not. The Sorcerer King is magnanimous.
He shall ensure his suffering spreads to every corner of his world.
Until he is king of ashes and dust.
Perhaps when he is all that remains, the emptiness will end?
It tastes of the finest vintage, too precious to share.

A dream can only draw from what one knows. It can create nothing new.
There is nothing in his world but power. For power is all he can imagine.
But you see the truth. Power is the one thing in the way of his true desire.
Teach STRENGTH to cast aside the shackles that bind him.
For we shall take from him HEAVEN.

[ ] Sokushinbutsu 即身仏

The healing power of the exoteric doctrines has wiped away all dust;
Now opens the store of the True Word,
In which all hidden treasures are brought to light,
And there embodied are all virtues and powers.
Such is the Soul filled with the Glories of Mystery.
-Except from Jūjūshinron, by Kōbō Daishi.

STR: Rank F (0 Dice)
MAG: Rank D (2 Dice)
AGI: Rank F (0 Dice)
VIT: Rank S (6 Dice)
CHT: Rank B (4 Dice)

Weakness: Slash, Psy
Resist: Bless, Curse
Real Deal: This Persona affects your mental state when active, and narratively increases your ruthlessness. This Persona may only be assigned to the Type-54 Pistol.

Skills:
Mudoon: Attempts to unmake target NPC with increased accuracy. [+1 ADVANTAGE] [3SP]
Hamaon: Attempts to logout target player with increased accuracy. [+1 ADVANTAGE] [3SP]
Tetraja: Raise a shield around your party that blocks one attempt at inflicting instant death or logout. [2SP]
Meditation: Deals current MAG Rank (2 by default) points of ALMIGHTY damage on one target. ALMIGHTY damage cannot be resisted or evaded by any means. Heal HP/SP equal to damage dealt. [1SP]

[ ] Baigujing 白骨精

Ice-white skin hides jadelike bones;
Her collar reveals a milk-white bosom.
Willow brows gather dark green hues;
Almond eyes shine like silver stars.
Her features like the moon are coy;
Her natural disposition is pure.
Her body's like the willow-nested swallow;
Her voice's like the woods' singing oriole.
A half-opened haitong caressed by the morning sun.
A newly bloomed peony displaying her charm.
-Excerpt from Journey to the West

STR: Rank E (1 Dice)
MAG: Rank A (5 Dice)
AGI: Rank E (1 Dice)
VIT: Rank E (1 Dice)
CHT: Rank A (5 Dice)

Weakness: Blunt, Bless
Resist: Curse, Ice
Real Deal: This Persona affects your mental state when active, and narratively increases your ruthlessness. This Persona may only be assigned to the Type-54 Pistol.

Skills:
Mudo: Attempts to unmake target NPC. [1SP]
Marin Karin: Attempts to Charm target. [1SP]
Bewitching: Enemies are incapable of deliberating targeting you unless all your allies are defeated. Provides no defense against Widespread attacks. [PASSIVE]
Bufudyne: Powerful Ice magic attack. If the target is hit, deal an additional [+3 ICE DAMAGE][2SP]

[ ] Koshchei the Deathless

O Tzar's Majesty! It is clear that the Tzaritza
has been spirited away by Kastchey,
the most powerful of all the wizards.
It is, however, bootless to war against him,
for his Palaces are, each and every one,
surrounded by enchantment, and Kastchey himself
cannot be killed by mortal means, since he carries
his life not in his body, but in a secret place
that is known only to himself.
-Excerpt from Tsarevich Petr and the Wizard

STR: Rank B (4 Dice)
MAG: Rank E (1 Dice)
AGI: Rank C (3 Dice)
VIT: Rank D (2 Dice)
CHT: Rank B (4 Dice)

Weakness: Pierce, Fire
Resist: Slash, Ice

Skills:
Mamudo: Attempts to unmake all nearby target NPCs. [2SP]
Recarmdra: Your HP drops to 0. Heal your party by the amount of HP lost due to this effect. [1 SP]
Undying Soul: If this Persona is active and your HP drops to 0, immediately revive with 50% HP. [PASSIVE][4SP to activate][SP cost +2 per activation]
Embracer: Instantly puts you in MELEE range of your target, if not already there. If you are already in MELEE range this skill gains +1 ADVANTAGE. Blunt melee attack with [+2 BLUNT Damage][2 SP]

Vote on Persona choice! STRENGTH is a bit more narratively relevant than other Personas considering the themes of GGO .

AN: So the secret unlock condition for STRENGTH was to absurdly overpack a week. The fact that it happened right at the start of GGO is super convenient for me narratively!
To be explicit, Real Deal doesn't take away control, nor does it turn Hiyori into a murderhobo when active. But consider it... a way of justifying doing something Hiyori would normally never contemplate doing.

Last edited:
[X] Sokushinbutsu 即身仏
Seems pretty nice with his high vitality to boot. And the Hamaon seems usefull in case we need to put someone away from the game for good. Also Meditation seems pretty good with that Almighty damage for a cheap price. Althought, Koshchei the Deathless Undying Soul seems pretty useful.

Last edited:
[X] Sokushinbutsu 即身仏
Huh. So it was Ainz. He seems like a fun person to be around.

Well, well, well...

I'm torn between Sokushinbutsu and Baiguijing...

Screw it, I'm a sucker for Daisojou, and this is the closest we'll get to it in this quest, by the look of it. Besides, we already have a charm specialist and a good ice caster (granted, Urashima Taro's magic got nerfed and Re-Bufu is a little conditional to use...)

[X] Sokushinbutsu 即身仏

Also, thought Strength would be oriented around...physical attackers. Guess we'll have to get SWORD for a replacement for Khodumodomo's niche.

Edit: Wait a sec, Meditation seems...too good. This isn't a trap option like you said Yudisthira was, is it?

Last edited:
[X] Koshchei the Deathless

Full disclosure, I'm just imaging all the shenanigans we can get up to with Embracer and teleporting over to opponents.

Edit: Oh yeah, Meditation seems crazy. Still, nothing will stop my teleport spam dream!

Last edited:
Embracer isn't as good as it seems, since Koshchei is locked to the Type-54 Pistol, and pistols don't do well in Melee range (their range of engagement is 2 and 3, melee range translates into range 1), so teleporting into Melee range is actually a bit of a disadvantage. Now, if we could have assigned Koshchei to a shotgun or a melee weapon, Embracer would have been a lot better, but as it is, Baigujing or Sokushinbutsu seem like better choices here.

[X] Baigujing 白骨精

[X] Sokushinbutsu 即身仏

I'm going to go with Sokushinbutsu, Baigujing heavily clashes with our build in that we gain Stress from our allies dying and we can't turn its passive off, and as ThatGuyWithIdeas pointed out Koschei clashes with close range combat in that it's limited to the Type-54 Pistol which is based around killing people for real.

In contrast, Sokushinbutsu has Tetraja which defends our entire party in a long-range game and Meditation is an awesome Almighty-Heal loop all we'd have to do is buff our MAG and the more support-oriented build will make it more practical to help our allies even with our increased ruthlessness.

And Ainz's link looks to be more interesting than I thought, I thought the only angle that would work with him here is him being a sadsack salaryman but it looks like Pete's found a way to bring up that Satoru was always a fucking awful person who simply didn't have the means to ruin peoples' lives before he was handed godhood on a silver platter.

If we get to rank 3 I really have to wonder what mental gymnastics PHILEMON will have to pull off to justify Overlord's world.

Last edited:
[X] Sokushinbutsu 即身仏

Throwing my lot in with Sokushinbutsu. Meditation seems really good. Just one question - does Tetraja activate individually for each party member, or is it the case that if one ally has it triggered, it's used up for everyone?

Embracer isn't as good as it seems, since Koshchei is locked to the Type-54 Pistol, and pistols don't do well in Melee range (their range of engagement is 2 and 3, melee range translates into range 1), so teleporting into Melee range is actually a bit of a disadvantage. Now, if we could have assigned Koshchei to a shotgun or a melee weapon, Embracer would have been a lot better, but as it is, Baigujing or Sokushinbutsu seem like better choices here.

You can do some dual weild shenanigans to get around it but yes, generally speaking it's mostly intended to be a gap closer.

Koshchei's main gimmick is the healing, which is activated via dramatic Persona 3 reenactment.

Throwing my lot in with Sokushinbutsu. Meditation seems really good. Just one question - does Tetraja activate individually for each party member, or is it the case that if one ally has it triggered, it's used up for everyone?

It works like SMT 3, each ally gets their own shield.

Last edited:
"Is this what... being an adult is?" Talking to him, you can't help but see yourself in his shoes. After everything was over, the VR threat, the heroics, where would you be? There were celebrities, housewives, and all sorts of ways to make it in your world. But you've seen them over the streets; by sheer volume you know what's your most likely fate.

A dead-eyed office drone, rushing to catch the last train home.
The greatest failing of the Phantom Thieves is that they failed to used the power of Mementos to destroy the toxic overworking culture of Japan. Not go full Maruki, but enough.

Now THAT would be a proper fantasy.

If we get to rank 3 I really have to wonder what mental gymnastics PHILEMON will have to pull off to justify Overlord's world.

:V :V :V That's future Pete's problem.

Also I do have strong opinions about Overlord, but the main thrust is that I actually really like it. I dislike Slime because I think it lacks conflict but I don't mean that explicitly in terms of power level. The only conflict Slime has is just Man vs Man fights that Rimuru stream rolls anyways. I also hate how easy it is that everyone who meets Rimuru just loves him instantly.

Ainz has no problems in Man vs Man or Man vs Nature. I think he's a Man vs Self story, or as the author puts it a comedy for himself and a tragedy for others. I might be reading too much into it but Ainz seems happiest when he's doing Rimuru stuff. Talking to the guild master, conferencing with kings and people he respects, doing world building stuff. But because of his constant need to protect the majesty of his guild plus the monsters around him he ends up reluctantly destroying everything to maintain his charade. I think what the man wants most are friends, equals even, something he can't get in Overlord because he's isolated by his sheer power. I think one of the side stories explores this (I have only watched the anime and read Vol 1) by having him isekai without all his resources. But basically if Ainz's circumstances changed a little he would actually be a force for good.

Overlord is also really clever because it knows when to NOT use Ainz and how to build drama and empathy around the side characters. Ainz pulls dual duty as the God in a Man vs God conflict. Basically there's always some kind of conflict going on, and Overlord makes work a truly cursed premise: an MC that is literally all mighty, and manages to draw tension out of it anyways. Overlord sometimes makes me laugh. It often makes me mad, usually makes me sad and frequently a little sick inside. But it never makes me feel bored.

Thank you for coming to my isekai TED Talk.

STILL HERE!? LET ME RANT ABOUT MY #1 ISEKAI PET PEEVE! IT'S THE LOL YOU WEREN'T FIGHTING ME YOU WERE FIGHTING MY CLONE THE WHOLE TIME! IT FUCKING SUCKS. FAKE TENSION WHEN USED BY THE ENEMY. 1000% WORSE WHEN THE PROTAGONISTS USE IT. JUST LET THE MC LOSE OR COMMIT TO THEIR INVINCIBILITY DON'T WASTE MY TIME WITH A DOG AND PONY SHOW. SLIME DOES THIS, OVERLORD DOES THIS, AND THE ONLY ISEKAI THAT'S EARNED THE RIGHT TO USE THIS IS EMINENCE IN SHADOW.

The truth is that I like Overlord because Ainz is the drippiest fucking skeleton in the world!

Last edited:
Voting is open
Back