I feel that overworrying about being all nice and diplomatic instead of doing something awesome isn't part of the culture of our people and will make our character stand out.
The culture isn't decadent to the point of stupidity. This is very much a death world, and the political sphere mimics the wilderness outside the walls. Intrigue, backbiting, and frontbiting are things to look out for, and being a glory hound can leave a noble vulnerable to some pretty negative press. Sometimes you have to be defensive.

Basically, none of these options will look particularly odd to anyone, they've seen it all before. It's a matter of where we want to put these new resources, what weaknesses we want to shore up, or strengths to enhance.

[X] Donate to Anna (Unknown degree of rewards)
[X] Integrate as trophy onto her mech
[X] Hold onto them as is for latter study

I'm curious, has Mirande been found yet? With her body over the corpse of the 1st Dragon?

Well, if you remember, Dragon's are descended from Mirande. Which means that they count as Stones for the purposes of rolling.

...they also appear to count as memento mori, or at least something on that order given their claws' ability to block it. Since they are known for producing particularly exceptional blades...

@redzonejoe and others, I will point out that wearing the skull on our mech while SUPER AWESOME (first dragon kill and it's freakin' huge to boot) also serves as a reminder of our failing that time and the need to do better.

-to everybody, unless you're suggesting mounting it on the interior?

I've been rereading Age of Strife lately in my spare time, and aside from being surprised that i apparently hadn't liked a bunch of the earlier updates yet in either of my past readings, this bit was very amusing:
this generation is starting to run out of major events (although you could potentially still spark new ones depending on what you do).
(In regards to Dia when AN first offered the chance to skip a generation XD)

I've been rereading Age of Strife lately in my spare time, and aside from being surprised that i apparently hadn't liked a bunch of the earlier updates yet in either of my past readings, this bit was very amusing:

(In regards to Dia when AN first offered the chance to skip a generation XD)

That's why the game awesome-spiralled to its death
We didn't gen-skip so new threats HAD to come out and it just got bigger and bigger until we were fighting one of Nurgle's Gardeners via Godzilla-sized Treemonster-Mecha

We didn't gen-skip so new threats HAD to come out and it just got bigger and bigger until we were fighting one of Nurgle's Gardeners via Godzilla-sized Treemonster-Mecha
Well, that was more the fault of the dice derailing the plot horribly. We were supposed to travel the world collecting the Grave Tender's stuff, not get separated from our party before the first stop, accientally the Dark Elf who sent us on the quest, and then the Perfected One created a giant Warp Rift. If the dice hadn't messed us up things would have been much more sedate.

Only if you start from the assumptions that this is not an nation building quest, that the only thing possible to do is fight, that nothing but single combat matters and so on forth.

I feel that overworrying about being all nice and diplomatic instead of doing something awesome isn't part of the culture of our people and will make our character stand out.
Dunno about 'culture of our people' but Dia went for diplomacy pretty much every time the option was even hinted at, and the Stone's have got that diploMax heritage from her husband...

Well, that was more the fault of the dice derailing the plot horribly. We were supposed to travel the world collecting the Grave Tender's stuff, not get separated from our party before the first stop, accientally the Dark Elf who sent us on the quest, and then the Perfected One created a giant Warp Rift. If the dice hadn't messed us up things would have been much more sedate.
People had the tendency to choose the high risk option for most of those giant fuckups and act like it's the dice's fault for not rolling well. Maybe doing too well walking straight into the glass canopy under effects of mind control or blowing the Duke up and coming out relatively peachy made us arrogant enough to believe we could always get away with it.

People had the tendency to choose the high risk option for most of those giant fuckups and act like it's the dice's fault for not rolling well. Maybe doing too well walking straight into the glass canopy under effects of mind control or blowing the Duke up and coming out relatively peachy made us arrogant enough to believe we could always get away with it.
We didn't actually pick ANY vote when it came to killing the Dark Seer, that shit just happened on its own because Dice. With the Ordained One, to dredge up an old and spiteful argument, we didn't do anything wrong. The sniper rifle would've been quite likely to fail with his backup body and the entropy field suppressing our divination powers, and he would've died if not for rolling an exploding crit against soul destruction. Trying to Shadow of the Colossus him on his wife/truck/monster was also the explicitly correct choice according to AN and would've worked if not for, again, crazy dice.

Stop trying to rewrite history just because you're salty. There was an actual fuckup when we tried to take the fast/risky route and got our ass kicked (and thanks to AN's forgetting about precognition, got ourselves a fate point) but that's about it.

EDIT: inb4 6 month old flame war restarts, but seriously you're flat out wrong. You're either misremembering or lying. Don't mislead our new players with your propaganda.

Last edited:
We didn't actually pick ANY vote when it came to killing the Dark Seer, that shit just happened on its own because Dice. With the Ordained One, to dredge up an old and spiteful argument, we didn't do anything wrong. The sniper rifle would've been quite likely to fail with his backup body and the entropy field suppressing our divination powers, and he would've died if not for rolling an exploding crit against soul destruction. Trying to Shadow of the Colossus him on his wife/truck/monster was also the explicitly correct choice according to AN and would've worked if not for, again, crazy dice.

Stop trying to rewrite history just because you're salty. There was an actual fuckup when we tried to take the fast/risky route and got our ass kicked (and thanks to AN's forgetting about precognition, got ourselves a fate point) but that's about it.
The rifle had a good chance to kill him, even with a head shot by word of AN. We wouldn't even have been in that situation ife we had told Dia to go directly to the former capital and meet with her on the way. But you and others insisted that we were the target instead of the pilgrimage route, that he knew where we were and that their speed over long distances was greater than our own, despite there being no evidence for the first two and the last one even had evidence against it. Then the firepower of the AM rifle got underestimated. In spite of this everything would have indeed been fine if ANs dice didn't crave escalation and threw an Exalted Greater Unclean One at us.

Except AN told us it would probably have killed him. So no, you are wrong.
The rifle had a good chance to kill him, even with a head shot by word of AN. We wouldn't even have been in that situation ife we had told Dia to go directly to the former capital and meet with her on the way. But you and others insisted that we were the target instead of the pilgrimage route, that he knew where we were and that their speed over long distances was greater than our own, despite there being no evidence for the first two and the last one even had evidence against it. Then the firepower of the AM rifle got underestimated. In spite of this everything would have indeed been fine if ANs dice didn't crave escalation and threw an Exalted Greater Unclean One at us.

You guys are omitting a very important detail. AN said that the rifle would've had a good chance (not guarantee) to kill him if it hit. We wouldn't have had any of our usual advantages to sniping and it would've been a long, difficult shot. He never said that we had good odds of landing a clean shot.

As for whether we should've gone to Blackthorn? We didn't have any actual, hard evidence that that's where the OO was going. It was one of a few possibilities (most of which weren't even known to us at the time). Going off of pure mathematics it was a 40% chance that the next treasure was in Blackthorn. That wasn't really worth abandoning Indigo Leaf, because they would have been wiped out if that was the next one in line. You're talking as if we had assurances that his next target was Blackthorn.

I never said that Indigo Hammer was guaranteed to be the next target, just that staying there was the best risk/reward ratio. Don't misrepresent Past-Me.

Although yes, AN interpreting the Dice the way he did is uh... I will agree that he escalated things more than was probably necessary, even with those dice. That's the ultimate problem. Under normal circumstances, what we did would've worked is the point I'm trying to make against @Delcer's argument. We didn't have the world erupt because we made bad choices, as he was indicating, we had the world erupt because we got really weird dice and AN interpreted them in the most extreme possible way. I don't like this trend of suggesting that the players fucked up. All of the choices we made were very reasonable with the information that was available at the time. Sorry if I got a bit snappish about arguing that, but I've seen this (disingenuous) line of argument half a dozen times before in AoS (Original) and Amber Age.

@Delcer's argument. We didn't have the world erupt because we made bad choices, as he was indicating, we had the world erupt because we got really weird dice and AN interpreted them in the most extreme possible way. I don't like this trend of suggesting that the players fucked up. All of the choices we made were very reasonable with the information that was available at the time. Sorry if I got a bit snappish about arguing that, but I've seen this (disingenuous) line of argument half a dozen times before in AoS (Original) and Amber Age.
You talk about the ridiculousness of fighting against that gigantic nurgle daemon. I talked about the idiocy of walking into an area to fight an army of mutants, where our eldar warned that daemons would be about, to fight a their biomancy speced leader with a sword and our unreliable comrade Mag who rolls for even more warp shit every time he has a poor roll.

I have always avoided mentioning that giant lardo that messed up our planet, I wasn't bothered by him, I was bothered by the actions that lead up to him.

Last edited:
You talk about the ridiculousness of fighting against that gigantic nurgle daemon. I talked about the idiocy of walking into an area to fight an army of mutants, where our eldar warned that daemons would be about, to fight a their biomancy speced leader with a sword and our unreliable comrade Mag who rolls for even more warp shit every time he has a poor roll.

I have always avoided mentioning that giant lardo that messed up our planet, I wasn't bothered by him, I was bothered by the actions that lead up to him.
Yeah, I get it, you're salty and you think that if the actions YOU wanted had won we wouldn't have had that happen. I think you're failing to understand how RNG and statistics work though. With the extremity of rolls we got and the way AN chose to interpret them, shit this crazy would have happened no matter what. If you're going to argue we would've gotten different dice if we voted a different way, you could just as easily be arguing different dice with the choices we made (which would've led to a clean win)

The sword was the most reliable way to kill the Ordained One when he clearly had some weird body horror shit going on and unknown powers and modifications. Kebhon never actually said there were Daemons about (and there were in fact NOT) there was just the weird entropy-field which was negating some of our powers- all the more reason to close in and get the certain kill. If not for a high exploding crit we were going to trash him with Memento Mori. The sword that we used to melee a BLOODTHIRSTER and ARMY OF ELDAR.

You're saying that we took the risky option, but I maintain that we took the safest option given the information we had available at the time. We had a lot of advantages to making sure that we connected with MM in melee (unlike the long shot would've been) and we had a guarantee that it would've killed him (again, unlike the long shot). He only survived by freak dice, and without a second round of Freak Dice we still would've killed him.

You describe the choices we made as the "actions that lead up to" Coprocacopultestifer but the simple fact is that with rolls like those and AN taking them the way he did, that would've happened no matter what we chose.

Codex Entry: Dragons
Codex Entry: Dragons

Dragons are one of the most bizarre creatures on Dandriss, in that they push the boundaries of what is possible biologically and even break the rules in several instances. While this is not exactly unheard of on Dandriss, the dragons are clearly an introduced species, having only emerged with the appearance of the Dragon Woods 29 years after Starfall. Despite the deployment of strategic assets by the Great Powers, including a KKV strike by the Belters, the region has proven impossible to sterilize, and the containment area so large that despite best efforts dragons are constantly slipping free from the Dragon Woods to go on rampage elsewhere. Add to this reproduction outside of their original spawning grounds and rumours of Dragon Trees sprouting randomly out in the woods and in the past three decades they have become endemic to Dandriss, integrating into the local ecosystems. It is a testament to the hostility of the ecosystem that only the largest specimens have managed to become apex predators, rather than these large, aggressive, xenoinvasive specimens causing widespread ecosystem disruption.

Biologically speaking the dragons are considered genetically most similar to the plant species originally native to the Dragon Woods, with their tissues being closer to strangely flexible Dandriss wood than the tissues used by the animals of the planet. This makes the dragons at once unusually tough and unusually fragile, in that their capacity to shrug off damage is significant, but their capacity to seal wounds is somewhat deficit and thus they can have problems with blood loss from wounds that other species would recover from. This tends not to be a significant issue for those immediately fighting them since it is something of a long term issue, and humans are of course so deficit in their ability to cause harm without heavy weaponry that it is considered a moot point. The bones, claws, and teeth of the beasts are another oddity in that they are made of some sort of strange, crystalline material. If anyone has ever determined what the material is, it is considered a classified state secret. What is known is that their claws and teeth are nearly indestructible, requiring truly ludicrous amounts of force and energy to cause damage. About the only fortunate aspect is that these materials are biologically expensive to produce and are considered the primary limiting factor for growth.

Contained within the most protected portion of the ribcage and directly fused with the spinal cord, heart, and lungs and central to the process of respiration is the central bulb. This organ is the first to form during the reproductive process and contains [REDACTED], which is derived from the neural tissues of other species, particularly humans. It is for this reason that dragons are attracted to attack humans and human settlements and why victims of dragon attacks are encouraged to commit suicide, or if a third party observer to mercy kill a captured victim, if possible rather than be dragged off. While there is a small possibility of recovery of a victim if done quickly enough, the risk to everyone of another dragon being spawned by people holding unrealistic hope of a loved one being returned to them is too high to generally risk it. While there is too little officially released material to go by, it is generally considered impossible to recover a victim if not recovered within 24 hours of being cocooned, with the odds of survival being under 20% after only 6 hours.

Contrary what some religious cultists claim, there is no point of connection between the neural tissue of a victim and the nervous system of a dragon. The victims are killed by the process, not transformed.

Outside of their parasitoid reproduction, there is a secondary method whereby they can spawn from Dragon Trees without need of another creature to generate the central bulb. It is for this reason that the trees are destroyed whenever located, with periodic bombardment of the Dragon Woods with strategic weaponry to reduce the spread and growth of the trees, and thus the size of dragons produced. The products of these trees universally have four limbs and two wings, hence that phenotype being called 'true' dragons. The dragons produced by the trees also tend to have far less of the variability of later generations, although this is offset by them all possessing the ability to fly and some form of breath weapon that typically disappears in later generations.

While technically all one species that reproduces parthogenically - although there are some reports of some form of sexual-type exchange of material between social specimens that may allow for trait swapping before actual reproduction - dragons are typically classified according to size and the arrangement of limbs. It has been suggested that each individual specimen is practically a species into itself, in that the variability of body forms, behaviours, and esoteric abilities even between generations is so huge as to represent a fundamental breakage of standard models. It is known that the species used to produce the central bulb has an influence on the the size of the offspring, with species with larger and more sophisticated brains producing larger dragons, with Dandriss life having a noticeable major decline in size in comparison to Earth life. Why this is remains unknown but much speculated upon. The distribution of limbs and body plan seems to be a more heritable trait and appears to be related to the the growth potential of prior generations. Those with lower growth potential tend to have some limbs become vestigial to save on the production of their energetically expensive bones, which can then be passed on to the next generation. For example, a lesser wyvern that had a diamonback tiger as its base material could produce a greater specimen if it got its hands on a human for reproduction, but it is much more likely to produce another wyvern than any other body plan. Other traits, such as the bioelectrochemical dart production and acceleration of dragonflies or the biological production of chlorine trifluoride from the facemelter, have been known to appear in certain specimens and even to be carried on down the generations, although bizarre mutations with no known precedents elsewhere have been observed.

As such dragon classification is broken into about two and a half categories: size, and limb and body plan configuration. Limb configuration and body plan configuration tend to be closely related and thus for the most part are rolled together, but sometimes a particular specimen will require further clarification. Limb configuration also does not count atrophied, vestigial limbs, since such things are often present but almost entirely useless to these creatures. The classification dimensions are:

Body Plan
Bipedal/Humanoid - A rare and often somewhat awkward type that tends to only appear with greater dragons and larger and typically only for true or some wyvern dragons, these creatures have an upright posture and walk about on two legs
Bestial/Leonine - By far the most common body type, such that it rarely needs to be mentioned, these dragons assume a mostly quadrupedal stance, although in the case of most wyverns that bat-walk on their wings they can also rear up on their hind legs and assume a bipedal stance
Serpentine - A large minority of dragons, these creatures typically have had their limbs atrophy away, requiring a serpentine method of locomotion. They are also the most common ones requiring the additional descriptive modifier since some specimens have developed the mode of locomotion but retained their limbs in some manner. This also includes the "lung" types, which have both useful limbs and elongated bodies

Limb Configuration
True dragon - 4 legs, 2 wings
Wyvern - 2 legs, 2 wings
Winged serpent - 2 wings
Dracofly - 2 legs, 4 wings
4-winged serpent - 4 wings
6-winged serpent - 6 wings
Dracotaur - 6 legs
Drake - 4 legs
Linnorm - 2 arms
Dracoserpent - No limbs

Size (measures are based on the height of the shoulder of a comparable bestial true dragon)
Alpha - 6+ metres
Greater - 4-5 metres
Prime - 3-4 metres
Common - 2-3 metres
Lesser - 1-2 metres
Degenerate - 50 cm to 1 metre
Dragonette - <50 cm

Further modifiers such as "fire-breathing" or the like are sometimes applied. Dragons with more than six limbs are also sometimes called "abominations", and are almost always drawn from greater or alpha dragons. The "alpha" category is somewhat strange in that while there are some very large specimens (which usually get individual names that incorporate titles like "noble", "king", or in one case "Emperor", see below), after a certain size, regardless of other socialization characteristics, dragons do not come into conflict with each other. Dragons smaller than roughly that size seem to defer to the alphas even if normally antisocial, and alphas will at worst ignore each other. Within the Dragon Woods there are large communities of prosocial alphas, a consequence of the large numbers of mature Dragon Trees and the fact that the antisocial ones tend to get peacefully pushed out, which of course makes the region even more insanely dangerous than it already is.

For particularly infamous specimens, usually primes or larger, they sometimes get individualized names. Perhaps the most infamous still living specimen is the Ripper, a far ranging vagrant specimen of an alpha serpentine dracotaur with all six limbs turned to tearing claws in uses in combat, but most well known named dragon was the Emperor Dragon, theorized to be the first specimen. In the initial expedition into the newly formed Dragon Woods before the first dragons started to emerge from their gestational sacs on the trees, the bones of a bipedal true dragon over a hundred metres tall were observed. The exact nature of what happened is unknown, but given the level of destruction involved and the suspected involvement of Mirande Stone, given that she was generally known to be in the region and completely disappeared after, it is suspected that she was somehow involved. Given the often blatantly psychic or psychic derived (such as their flight, which is impossible given their wing-to-weight ratios) powers demonstrated by the dragons, it is theorized by some that the reavers were somehow involved in their creation and Mirande somehow foiled their project.

While somewhat disputed, the religious figure of the Ghost within Gravetender theology also appeared shortly after the formation of the Dragon Woods. Some claim that the warlord era folk hero of the Nameless Man is a clear precedent and the figure of the Ghost is simply a continuation of the folklore involved. Devout Gravetenders, particularly the militant branch of the Gravediggers, tend to look down on such sociological analysis and insist that the Ghost is not merely a convergence of independent stories but an actual person with strange powers who travels invisibly between imperilled settlements to render assistance against threats such as reavers, dragons, and human raiders.

Last edited:
You describe the choices we made as the "actions that lead up to" Coprocacopultestifer but the simple fact is that with rolls like those and AN taking them the way he did, that would've happened no matter what we chose.
Let me spell it out for you again. Clearly this time. We knew all of this going in:

The Ordained one was a high level biomancer.
He had an army of mutants at his disposal.
The warp was thin and there were daemons about.
Mag is an unreliable psyker with a terrible trait that spews warp shit out.
OO even had vehicles he could just run onto and drive away if he felt like it.

And we still chose to go at him with a sword.

I wish you would stop putting words into my mouth, I am not mad at the moment the world went to shit. At the moment, I am mad that people choose high risk options and then solely blame the dice when it doesn't end well. Or even worse, when you try to pretend it is the 'safest option'.

Edit: I also find it funny that whining about RNG and dice is such a giant chunk of your argument.

Last edited:
Let me spell it out for you again. Clearly this time. We knew all of this going in:

Mag has is an unreliable psyker with a terrible trait that spews warp shit out.

And we still chose to go at him with a sword.

I wish you would stop putting words into my mouth, I am not mad at the moment the world went to shit. At the moment, I am mad that people choose high risk options and then solely blame the dice when it doesn't end well. Or even worse, when you try to pretend it is the 'safest option'.

Edit: I also find it funny that whining about RNG and dice is such a giant chunk of your argument.
Okay let me explain another way. I can't speak for how other people viewed the options, but with the information that we had at the time I didn't view melee as the higher risk option. I viewed it as the best risk-reward scenario because it was the most likely to get a sure kill on an enemy that we didn't understand well and were only going to get one shot at. I had confidence in our ability to extricate ourselves if things went bad, even if the scenario was red-hot, and we DID know at the time that if we missed our one shot at him (or hit him and didn't kill him) by staying at range, he was going to do MASSIVE damage and we weren't going to get another chance without a full army engagement against him.

So like I said, I can't speak for anyone else... but from my viewpoint, with what information we had, it was the option with the greatest chance of securing a kill and avoiding MASSIVE casualties (and potentially the OO getting some gravetender tech). If the entire warp instability thing collapsed, it had a better shot of wiping everyone else in the area out than it did of wiping out Mirande or Mag.

So yeah, I saw it then as the best risk-reward prospect and argued as much in thread. You assessed the risk factors differently. That's the only real difference.

As for the RNG? I'm not whining about it. I'm trying to explain that with those kinds of rolls and AN willing to escalate as much as he was when they came up, any choice we made would've had a similarly devestating outcome, so you can't actually say that our choice directly lead to what occurred.

But yeah, most of why I take it personally when you say it was high-risk behavior is because I did not, and do not see it as being such. The only objective that mattered there was getting him on the first try and not letting him escape. I had confidence in Mirande's ability to survive the fallout even if it went topsy-turvy. Different priorities, I guess.

You guys are omitting a very important detail. AN said that the rifle would've had a good chance (not guarantee) to kill him if it hit. We wouldn't have had any of our usual advantages to sniping and it would've been a long, difficult shot. He never said that we had good odds of landing a clean shot.

As for whether we should've gone to Blackthorn? We didn't have any actual, hard evidence that that's where the OO was going. It was one of a few possibilities (most of which weren't even known to us at the time). Going off of pure mathematics it was a 40% chance that the next treasure was in Blackthorn. That wasn't really worth abandoning Indigo Leaf, because they would have been wiped out if that was the next one in line. You're talking as if we had assurances that his next target was Blackthorn.

I never said that Indigo Hammer was guaranteed to be the next target, just that staying there was the best risk/reward ratio. Don't misrepresent Past-Me.

Although yes, AN interpreting the Dice the way he did is uh... I will agree that he escalated things more than was probably necessary, even with those dice. That's the ultimate problem. Under normal circumstances, what we did would've worked is the point I'm trying to make against @Delcer's argument. We didn't have the world erupt because we made bad choices, as he was indicating, we had the world erupt because we got really weird dice and AN interpreted them in the most extreme possible way. I don't like this trend of suggesting that the players fucked up. All of the choices we made were very reasonable with the information that was available at the time. Sorry if I got a bit snappish about arguing that, but I've seen this (disingenuous) line of argument half a dozen times before in AoS (Original) and Amber Age
We had more solid evidence for Blackthorn then for Indigo Leaf. The basic premise of your risk assessment was based on at best scant and shaky evidence. So no that choice wasn't all that resonable and there was enough argueing about that enough then. But like I said taking that decision and thus having to go for the assassination did not lead to the escalation. And yeah hitting him with the rifle was uncertain and hitting him with the sword was almost guranted. So that was reasonable.

Also I would thank you if wouldn't falsely accuse me of being disingeneous.

Last edited:
Let's not rehash this old argument, ok?

Dragons confirmed, Dragon Progenitor confirmed, Mirande's involvement as known nears unity, but if she were recovered, it is being held as a secret.

Mad Mags is out there, and probably solved the Gravetender's quest.

And dragons do seem to produce psychoactive materials.

Lots of new/confirmed information here!

Last edited:
Mag is an unreliable psyker with a terrible trait that spews warp shit out.
Yes.
Yes.
No, in fact. A thousand times no. We didn't even realize the veil was thin until the sword vote was locked in and we crossed the threshold. There were also no daemons until one of the choir attracted one as a consequence of The Ordained One's power use.
Phenomena were almost universally not dangerous events, save a few particularly bad ones.
Which was why we opted to take the 'this weapon kills souls from a paper cut' route, in case any of the gun options soured.

No, in fact. A thousand times no.
Our Eldar friend actually hinted at it very blatantly in an exchange we had with him prior to this. So yes we did know.

Edit: Also, you can't tell me you didn't expect otherwise going into that situation? I mean, when the duke exploded many incursions happened and his brains were weak. This guy wasn't going to be any different going down. Though maybe that's not a great example because the duke had numbers on his side, if not sheer power like OO.

Last edited:
Back