Because Culture is the primary resource that goes into building Habs, and we're going to need a LOT of habs in the long run. Also, we're a culture-focused place, as a resort town. It's important for us to build it up a lot right now. We're going to want to get to an Entertainment Complex Block, a Reactor Block, a Hab Block, a Network Center, a Lab (at this point, we do the Facemelter Research the very next turn), a Factory and a Barracks. After that we build towards a Lab Block and a Trade Post Block while excavating along the way. After that comes Factory Block, Foundry Block, Hab District, Network Center Block etc. etc.
Hmm. That does make a certain amount of sense, as long as it is clear that I don't want to remain just a resort town forever. We live on a metal world, let's industrialize this bitch!

Also, @Academia Nut would the nomads be upset if we donated our weapon for study? Or do we have to Science! it ourselves? What would be the costs involved, and would donating it to be studied on a broader scale net us any benefits?

Hmm. That does make a certain amount of sense, as long as it is clear that I don't want to remain just a resort town forever. We live on a metal world, let's industrialize this bitch!

Also, @Academia Nut would the nomads be upset if we donated our weapon for study? Or do we have to Science! it ourselves? What would be the costs involved, and would donating it to be studied on a broader scale net us any benefits?
I think that whoever studies it takes the hit with Indigo Hammer and that if Anna had it instead of us, it would benefit her most to sell it back to them, but that with us having it, it benefits us - and Anna - most if we study it ourselves.

As to your first point, I think that a resort town is a reasonable niche to exist and that this town is in a good position to fill this niche. However, I don't want to manage a resort town forever, so I think we should find a way to be promoted out here in a decade or two.

Last edited:
[X] Construct Building
-[X] Entertainment Complex (+3 Culture) [Cost: 20 culture]
[X] Patrol rail lines - Assign a unit to ensure the security of travellers in the rail lines. Current chance of encounter: LOW
[X] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem. Current chance of encounter: MODERATE-HIGH
[X] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[X] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.
[X] Study war - Chance to advance Officer education
[X] Seek allies - Look for people among the community and in the wider polity
[X] Throw a party - Hold a major social gathering

[X] Promote the arts - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Culture influence
[X] Construct building - Hab
[X] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem.
[X] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[X] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.

Getting that extra bit of Culture to build another Hab block, doing some patrols + nomad diplomacy to make sure everything is settled outside and an intrigue sweep to keep an eye out for more plotters (and to kick the mayor to keep him down, perhaps).

I think a Hab is a better pick then an Entertainment Complex at present. Yes, habs require Culture. But they also require Economy - and I want to get our Science building up nice and early.

[X] Study politics - Chance to advance Politician education

Furthering the educations and looking for additional allies. A husband would be hasty at this point - let's get a stronger presentation and power base and then we've got better prospects. And we've been throwing parties every turn so far; I feel it's better to give those a break.

[X] Construct Building
[X] Patrol rail lines - Assign a unit to ensure the security of travellers in the rail lines. Current chance of encounter: LOW
[X] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem. Current chance of encounter: MODERATE-HIGH
[X] Hunting - On Dandriss hunting animals with war machines is considered fair to all parties involved

We should keep in mind that even with the Mayor neutered for the foreseeable future, he's already planted rumors regarding Ella's ability to handle money. Given we're spending to get the nomads back on their feet, throwing a party as well is going to keep those rumors around even with the Mayor out of the running and no longer supporting them.

Let's not sabotage our own powerbase, please?

If you lot really are set on automating a signature party, combining another party with a cultural event while the nomads are here to contribute may be the way to do it. It's time for something rowdy and population-wide like Carnival or Mardi Gras anyway if we're going keep up the pattern and escalate appropriately.

Last edited:
[X] Construct Building

I'm going to trust @Ekans Ekans Ekans on the settlement actions and agree on what we should study. I think with the influx of personal resources and no current planned use for Massie and Sea that I'm aware of, we can pull off automating parties and that managing this now will open up strong options with Seek Allies, Find a Husband, and with flaunting what we manage to Hunt down the road.

You forgot to cut two social actions when you added two.

Fixed

[X] Construct building
-[X] Entertainment Complex

Entertainment complex is a pretty solid place to start consolidating our Culture gains. Patrolling the rail lines and the forest is simply a good way to ensure there's no funny business going on there. Intrigue sweep is there to grab the upper hand while we still have the opportunity. Nomad diplomacy ideally will nip the problems that might develop there in the bud.

If you lot really are set on automating a signature party, combining another party with a cultural event while the nomads are here to contribute may be the way to do it. It's time for something rowdy and population-wide like Carnival or Mardi Gras anyway if we're going keep up the pattern and escalate appropriately.
I'd much rather automate a festival than a party. It's too soon to afford a party automation without calling in lots of favors. By the time we can afford it we'll consistently have enough cultural influence every turn for a big festival automation, which is a lot more the kind of thing that's worth automating. It does a lot more to bring people in and make our settlement stand out.

A party automation will make sense if we get more closely tied in to courtly intrigue stuff, but I don't think we're really big enough to show up on that radar yet, either.

Throwing a festival this year would be inadvisable- we need to stick to our build plan if we want to actually grow into a settlement of real significance. We've been doing well enough with events to get some extra that we can spend on other actions, but the festival is a bit outside our price range, given that Culture is our most precious resource until we've finished our Entertainment Complex Block at very minimum. Habs are 25 each!

[X] Construct building (Entertainment Complex)
[X] Patrol rail lines
[X] Patrol forest
[X] Intrigue sweep
[X] Nomad diplomacy
[X] Throw a party
[X] Seek allies
[X] Hunting

[X] Promote the arts - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Culture influence
[X] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem.

Getting that extra bit of Culture to build another Hab block, doing some patrols + nomad diplomacy to make sure everything is settled outside and an intrigue sweep to keep an eye out for more plotters (and to kick the mayor to keep him down, perhaps).

I think a Hab is a better pick then an Entertainment Complex at present. Yes, habs require Culture. But they also require Economy - and I want to get our Science building up nice and early.
@redzonejoe has run the numbers on this in more detail, but everything I've projected out seems to agree... a Hab block just straight up slows us down on all fronts (except military where it barely puts us further ahead) compared to an Entertainment Complex at this point. We're going to need to construct a lot more Habs and that means the 3 culture per turn from an Entertainment Complex pays itself off a LOT faster than the 1 culture per turn from a Hab. The Reactors will keep paying for more of themselves which handles the Economy and Science plenty well. After we get those to a block we can move to Trading Posts and Labs (and a Network Center for the Hab Block that should coalesce around that point).

But yeah, a Hab is straight up slowing us down in almost every way at this point. We'll have more habs total in 20 years if we build up Ent Comps as fast as we can.

[X] Construct Building

[X] Hunting - On Dandriss hunting animals with war machines is considered fair to all parties involved

Last edited:
I'd argue that working on at least one education or stat is arguably more important than ANY of these three. It's something we should try and do as often and consistently as we can for the whole game, moreso than any individual action. Self-betterment never stops :p And it pays for itself more than anything else in the long run as rolls narrowly in our favor stack up across hundreds of dice.

Honestly I'd like to try and do every turn if at all possible (though I'm sure it won't be. Still something to strive for)

The way I see it, automating the party first will give us a springboard to make a widespread cultural event more effective.
[X] Construct Building

We should keep in mind that even with the Mayor neutered for the foreseeable future, he's already planted rumors regarding Ella's ability to handle money. Given we're spending to get the nomads back on their feet, throwing a party as well is going to keep those rumors around even with the Mayor out of the running and no longer supporting them.

Let's not sabotage our own powerbase, please?
But those very people are going to be enjoying our party and securing outside funding should completely crush those rumors. Plus, he never got in to full swing with those rumors and we can address them via conversation at the party - as we saw this year even a mediocre performance keeps them at bay and one good roll would stop further rolls needing to be made. Besides, Hunting can be personally expensive too if we damage our mech.

Furthering the educations and looking for additional allies. A husband would be hasty at this point - let's get a stronger presentation and power base and then we've got better prospects. And we've been throwing parties every turn so far; I feel it's better to give those a break.
If it weren't a resort town I'd be right there with you, but in this situations throwing parties keeps us in touch with the purpose of our settlement, like personally going on patrols would if we were primarily a military outpost.
Concerning education, I *do* want to study, but I want to moderate our actions on it so we commit to a particular course and don't burn out on it. We can't afford to do two a turn for 3-5 turns, but we can probably afford one a turn for 4-5 turns, which will be more efficient than the same number of actions in a more concentrated time period, I believe.

I'd much rather automate a festival than a party. It's too soon to afford a party automation without calling in lots of favors. By the time we can afford it we'll consistently have enough cultural influence every turn for a big festival automation, which is a lot more the kind of thing that's worth automating. It does a lot more to bring people in and make our settlement stand out.

A party automation will make sense if we get more closely tied in to courtly intrigue stuff, but I don't think we're really big enough to show up on that radar yet, either.

Throwing a festival this year would be inadvisable- we need to stick to our build plan if we want to actually grow into a settlement of real significance. We've been doing well enough with events to get some extra that we can spend on other actions, but the festival is a bit outside our price range, given that Culture is our most precious resource until we've finished our Entertainment Complex Block at very minimum. Habs are 25 each!
I think the favors are worth calling in. I think the favors we can call in from Massie and Sea are particularly suited to this and frankly wonder what other sort of things we might need them for?

Sure, it's bigger, but there's going to be a commensurate cost increase in how hard it is to automate.

Yeah, but that's a chicken and egg scenario; automating a party will, itself, get us more closely tied in to courtly intrigue stuff.

Yeah, it's outside our price range and something you want to do; so why not go for a springboard here?

I'd argue that working on at least one education or stat is arguably more important than ANY of these three. It's something we should try and do as often and consistently as we can for the whole game, moreso than any individual action. Self-betterment never stops :p And it pays for itself more than anything else in the long run as rolls narrowly in our favor stack up across hundreds of dice.

Honestly I'd like to try and do every turn if at all possible (though I'm sure it won't be. Still something to strive for)
Yeah, I'm pushing for this Party gambit, but I think I'm willing to put getting started on studying at a higher priority. It's because we can do both that this is viable.

I see no urgent need for Seek Allies or Hunting, although they do have value.

Last edited:
Intrigue seems a waste. While it would of course be nice in a perfect world, we have already met everybody, made allies, solidified allies, dug around for threats, and neutered the only threat which shook out. It's nice in general, but we don't have the resources to spare on precautions against threats we have zero indication of.

My thinking was expanding the party into a festival and feeding it into automating that. It puts it on the town's books, thereby solving the funding issue, and better accomplishes the primary goal of attracting visitors for it. Combining them may well have a synergy, and the party's culture generation can offset investment if it's not earned back by the festival.

Intrigue seems a waste. While it would of course be nice in a perfect world, we have already met everybody, made allies, solidified allies, dug around for threats, and neutered the only threat which shook out. It's nice in general, but we don't have the resources to spare on precautions against threats we have zero indication of.

My thinking was expanding the party into a festival and feeding it into automating that. It puts it on the town's books, thereby solving the funding issue, and better accomplishes the primary goal of attracting visitors for it. Combining them may well have a synergy, and the party's culture generation can offset investment if it's not earned back by the festival.
We caught up, but we're living in an Intrigue world here; I think getting ahead is better than falling behind.

Hmm, what about automating the party then converting it to a festival down the line by slowly expanding its scope then adding state sponsorship to push the scope out to a full festival?

We caught up, but we're living in an Intrigue world here; I think getting ahead is better than falling behind.

Hmm, what about automating the party then converting it to a festival down the line by slowly expanding its scope then adding state sponsorship to push the scope out to a full festival?

We're living in a post-apocalyptic deathworld. Let's not get tunnel-vision. We can't ignore intrigue, but it is a particularly low priority right now.

We're living in a post-apocalyptic deathworld. Let's not get tunnel-vision. We can't ignore intrigue, but it is a particularly low priority right now.
I mean, I'm voting to Study War; I don't I think have tunnel vision. We're kinda post-post-apocalyptic imo and we were born and raised in this deathworld environment. It's accounted for even in our high fashion.

Looks like I copied the wrong vote block.

Changed seeking allies for officer training.

We intentionally took a Den of Vipers start (on top of being a noble, which just means Double Vipers). I don't think that Intrigue is ever going to be a backburner issue.

I think that the Festival would be even more expensive than the party to automate, as someone pointed out. Even if we're putting it on the settlement's books, the settlement's not all that big yet. We need to be big enough for the cost to just sink into background noise to automate- and beyond that I think it's something that fills a distinct role, different than the parties do. One is for attracting new tourists and residents, the other is for rubbing shoulders and intrigue. There's minor crossover between the two but merging them seems to be kind of a waste.

Anyone want to try to sell me on the advantages of Hunting? I don't think I've seen many arguments in favor so I don't know precisely what to argue against.

[X] Construct Building

[X] Construct Building

Currently, trying it out.

And win the right to a dragon skull on our livery
Alright... hard to argue against curiosity and exploring our options, but this will go better if we upgrade our Officer trait first. I suppose I'd trade away my vote to Seek Allies if someone who isn't voting to Hunt, Throw a Party, and Study War switched to that, though.

Last edited:
Back