Again, you've made an error. The events of the recent past are basically the same, but the reasons for said events, and the general history of the planet, are not necessarily the same. For all we know the reavers just happen to like this planet because there's a lot of things to kill their projected bodies on it. Your narrow focus on prior knowledge that may or may not even still be correct is clouding your approach to the situation. We know nothing. You can't apply any sort of reasoning based on prior knowledge because we have no prior knowledge.

If we are presented with a means of acquiring some setting knowledge, or are given some setting knowledge for some reason, then huzzah for us. Until we are presented with a means to get the knowledge we want, blindly groping in the dark will only hurt us.

...one wonders if our previously earned treats might carry over in some form.

@Academia Nut : I nabbed us a Codex Etheria last time. Was there an imported form of it recovered here which might inform us about the new setting?

[X] Yes - Obtain 30/50 Science points towards a Refinement for EM Weapons (Chlorine Trifluoride Rounds), potentially damaging relations with Indigo Hammer with yourself and the nomads

Indigo might be bitter, but the Nomads left with the stuff.
If they don't want the tech getting out, they should tell their Nomads not to spread it around.

As an aside, if Indigo are the only ones with high level Dandriss tech, I can easily see why no one messes with them.

Last edited:
[X] Yes - Obtain 30/50 Science points towards a Refinement for EM Weapons (Chlorine Trifluoride Rounds), potentially damaging relations with Indigo Hammer with yourself and the nomads

I'm fairly sure that the will check is whether the aide that we got arrested rolled over on the mayor. Shame he had such good dice.

You know, @Academia Nut if Mirande is out there somewhere learning how to fight like a Reaver and hoping to some day pass those lessons on to our citizens like in the original timeline... I can see how people might take that really, really badly :lol

We can complete the research in a single turn once we've built up to a Reactor Block, a Hab Block, a Network Center and a Lab. By that point we'll have had enough time pass that I doubt this'll cause much political fallout (and it'd be pretty inefficient to dump 20 points into the research BEFORE we've built up at least that much)

The dragons didn't breathe fire. They were just big, nasty, apex predators with some psychic inclination who used Humans as a power source/host.

....They didn't? Could have sworn they did...
Some could:

Eldar and human psykers could give birth to phenomenally dangerous specimens capable of outlandish feats like breath fire or lightning or fly with too small wings or any number of other things that are recognizable as having psychic origins.

That was specifically related to the ones that were grown around humans with psychic potential, though. It wasn't anything chemical like what was being discussed here. It wasn't a dragon-related trait, it was a psyker-related trait.
Ahh, i missed that part of the discussion, sorry :p My Word-Of-AN senses went off when i saw a canon-argument that seemed easy to search :p

Hey, I wonder if we could go to a Grave Sermon?
That would be a perfect time for AN to Infodump setting information, especially about the Dragons and Mirande if similar things to canon happened (ie Dia and Mirande became semi-venerated and the Dragons came at the same time Mirande got knocked out)

Hey, I wonder if we could go to a Grave Sermon?
That would be a perfect time for AN to Infodump setting information, especially about the Dragons and Mirande if similar things to canon happened (ie Dia and Mirande became semi-venerated and the Dragons came at the same time Mirande got knocked out)
I'm pretty happy with the Codexes for infodump.

Turn 3

Thinking about it for half a moment, Ella nodded and said, "I graciously accept this gift then." Everyone knew the end result, but no one knew how Indigo Hammer could safely transport such corrosive chemicals long term and subject them to the stresses of ammunition. Gingerly sliding one of the rounds out of the case, she noted that its balance was completely solid. There was no liquid in the round at all, which was both informative and crazy considering that they definitely shattered and released liquid upon impact. Argo just smiled at her curiosity.

Forest Patrol (58)
Rail Patrol (68)
Basic Rewards (Int+Mang) 90 + 26 + 5 Multi-Patrol + 5 Multi-Year = 126
+1 Culture, +1 Econ, +1 Military
(Seriously, I know this is the same result as last year but I rolled it like this!)
Strange repeat + kicker for nomads
+1 Culture, +1 Econ, +1 Military

Current Influence
Culture 23
Economy 7
Science 2
Military 12

Output Updated
Culture +4
Economy +5
Science +3
Military +1

The rest of the year is mostly uneventful, although your efforts to keep the region well patrolled and quiet is paying some major dividends. Apparently the impression of safety your activities have been creating, especially with the salvation of the nomads and the deaths of the reavers, is good for tourism. Who knew?

Laser Weapons COMPLETED!
Personal Reactors 154/200

Random Events and Opportunities

In other news, word was filtering back that the experimental laser weapons that had been in background development were finally receiving the attention they needed to go into proper production. While lasers had never been a lost technology, producing a solid state design of sufficient power, reliability, and durability for use as a combat weapon had always been a bit of an issue. For the most part the primary utility over the much more standard EM weapons appears to be combat endurance for mechs, since current designs could go through their ammunition at a frightful pace. Personal scale designs were still pending improved energy storage on a compact scale to be competitive, although there were rumours that something like that was being worked on.

There was, however, a problem brewing closer to home. Despite best efforts at keeping the peace, there was a degree of friction between the labourers going out into the woods for raw resources and the nomads who were now camped out close to the settlement. Since they were going to be sticking around for a few more years it really behooved you to try to sort all of this out.

You have five settlement actions available to you. Available options are...
[] Advertise for business - Spend Culture influence to attempt to produce additional Economy influence
[] Recruitment drive - Spend Culture influence to attempt to produce additional Military influence

[] Promote the arts - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Culture influence
[] Promote innovation - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Science influence
[] Additional military spending - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Military influence

[] Construct building
  • Hab (+1 Culture, +1 Economy, +1 Science, +1 Military) [Cost: 25 culture, 5 economy] [Note: new buildings cannot be constructed unless Habs compose at least ⅕ the active buildings]
  • Entertainment Complex (+3 Culture) [Cost: 20 culture]
  • Trading Post (+2 Economy, +1 Culture) [Cost: 15 economy, 5 culture]
  • Factory (+3 Economy, also required to produce more advanced goods) [Cost: 25 economy]
  • Reactor (+2 Economy, +1 Science) [Cost: 15 economy, 10 science]
  • Research Lab (+3 Science) [Cost: 15 science, 5 economy, 5 culture]
  • Proving Grounds (+1 Science, +2 Military) [Cost: 10 economy, 5 science, 5 military]
  • Barracks (+3 Military) [Cost: 15 military, 5 economy]
  • New Building Slot [Cost: 30 economy, 30 science]
4 buildings of the same type can be combined for the cost of one of that building type into a block, giving a 50% bonus to the total output (some advanced buildings give different benefits when upgraded to a block)
4 blocks of the same type can be combined for twice the cost of the building type into a district, giving a 100% bonus to the total output (replacing the 50% bonus from the blocks)
  • Foundry (allows production of light mechs and aircraft) [Cost: 25 economy, 5 science; requires at least 1 Factory)
    • Foundry Block (allows production of medium and heavy mechs and aircraft) [Cost: 25 economy, 5 science; requires 4 Foundries + 1 Factory Block]
  • Mech Tilting Grounds (+3 Culture, +2 Military, improved mech forces) [Cost: 20 culture, 20 military, 5 economy; requires at least 1 Entertainment Complex + 1 Barracks]
    • Mech Arena (Mech Tilting Grounds Block) [Cost: 20 culture, 20 military, 5 economy; requires 4 Mech Tilting Grounds + at least 1 Foundry)
  • Network Center (up to four buildings per centre that produces +1 <Influence> produces +2 so long as the +3 producing version is also in the settlement) [Cost: 30 science, 20 economy; requires at least 1 +3 generating building and 1 +1 generating building]
    • Network Block (up to four blocks produce an additional 50% Influence so long as they each have a paired building (or potentially a paired block), i.e. a Trading Post Block would produce 100% of its total normal influence with 1 Factory building present. Special: A District and its paired Block both receive the benefits, i.e. A Reactor District would produce 150% Influence and its paired Research Block would produce 100% Influence. Special: Habs can only be paired if they are the larger of the pair and their pair has to be a +3 type building [Cost: 30 science, 20 economy; requires at least 1 Block and 1 Building that can be paired with it]
  • College Campus (Research Labs produce +1 Culture) [Cost: 50 culture, 20 science; requires at least 1 Research Lab block and 1 Entertainment complex)
  • Rail line caravan (+2 Economy, do not occupy building slots but are more vulnerable to attack) [Cost: 15 economy; requires at least 1 Factory and each caravan also requires a Trading Post (extra caravans can be supported by blocks and districts using the same bonus multipliers)]

[] Initiate research project
[] Donate science - Send Science influence to the duchy level, generating goodwill

[] Build new military unit (3/3 currently supported)
  • Jaeger company [Cost: 5 economy, 3 military, 2 culture]
[] Requisition new military unit (3/3 currently supported)
  • Jaeger company [Cost: 20 military]
  • Artillery company [Cost: 50 military]
  • Light mech squadron [Cost: 50 military]
  • Medium mech [Cost: 60 military]
  • Heavy mech [Cost: 100 military]
  • CAS fighter-bomber [Cost: 80 military]
[] Patrol rail lines - Assign a unit to ensure the security of travellers in the rail lines. Current chance of encounter: LOW
[] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem. Current chance of encounter: MODERATE-HIGH
[] Mercenary work - Assign a unit to mercenary work, spending Military Influence to gain Economy Influence. Requires Min. Military Influence of 10

[] Hold a major festival - Hold a major cultural event, with the potential to generate Economy and regain Culture spent. Requires Min. Culture Influence of 20, Costs a min. of 5 Culture Influence

[] Initiate Sociology research - Because of buildings and skills possessed, you may spend Culture influence as Science on Sociology projects
[] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.

Due to an influx of personal resources, you also have the time for three personal actions this year...
[] Study war - Chance to advance Officer education
[] Study politics - Chance to advance Politician education
[] Study <stat> - Chance to advance selected skill. Specialty stats are easier than secondary stats are easier than primary stats

[] Throw a party - Hold a major social gathering
[] Seek allies - Look for people among the community and in the wider polity
[] Seek a husband - Among the nobility one's spouse(s) is of importance for establishing allies and pedigree

[] Hunting - On Dandriss hunting animals with war machines is considered fair to all parties involved

So, with our current position, can we revisit the automatic party situation? It's currently 2/5? actions and, I think, our social capital with Massie and Sea.
I think we may also have just enough room to start towards dedicated effort studying something?

[X] Study politics - Chance to advance Politician education
[X] Seek allies - Look for people among the community and in the wider polity
[X] Hunting - On Dandriss hunting animals with war machines is considered fair to all parties involved

[X] Nomad Diplomacy
[X] Patrol the Forest.
[X] Advertise for business
[X] Advertise for business
[X] Promote innovation

Last edited:
[x] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[x] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.
[x] Promote the arts - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Culture influence
[x] Construct Building - Hab
[x] Patrol rail lines

[x] Throw a party - Hold a major social gathering
[x] Seek allies - Look for people among the community and in the wider polity
[x] Seek a husband - Among the nobility one's spouse(s) is of importance for establishing allies and pedigree

About time for marriage I think. We can start on the education trait once we have the dynasty secured

[x] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[x] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.
[x] Promote the arts - Spend Economy influence to attempt to produce additional Culture influence
[x] Patrol rail lines

[x] Seek a husband - Among the nobility one's spouse(s) is of importance for establishing allies and pedigree

About time for marriage I think.
You don't want to wait for a more firm and prestigious position so that we have a better market to shop in?

I agree we're settled enough at the moment that it's an option, but I'd rather upgrade to a new position, get settled in that one, then find a truly excellent husband/ally.

Okay we're going to be building an Entertainment Complex this turn, and then a Hab comes next. We're actually going to wind up at 24/25 Culture for the hab, but we should make that up just by passive actions by then. If not, we'll bloody well buy it the turn before.

That said we should NOT be drawn by the lure of the major festival. It won't do us as much good in buildup as just pumping out our buildings on-schedule. Let's please not jump on every shiny option. We'll have plenty more opportunities to do it a few buildings from now.

[X] Construct Building
-[X] Entertainment Complex (+3 Culture) [Cost: 20 culture]
[X] Patrol rail lines - Assign a unit to ensure the security of travellers in the rail lines. Current chance of encounter: LOW
[X] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem. Current chance of encounter: MODERATE-HIGH
[X] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[X] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.
[X] Study war - Chance to advance Officer education
[X] Hunting - On Dandriss hunting animals with war machines is considered fair to all parties involved

Keep patrols up to keep the Reavers out and to cement the feeling of safety. Work on smoothing out the situation with the nomads, make sure that no other players in town are making a move on us. Now that we're in a dominant position we can leverage it against potential threats before they BECOME threats.

For personal actions, I mostly agree with @Hangwind, but we should work on our Officer education rather than our politician one, I think. We've seen just how nasty the combat can get and I suspect it won't be infrequent (and that's before taking into account things like the mech tournaments that have become key to our culture and the nobility. Crazy, but it's something we want to be good at). I think we're already really strong on both management and diplomacy, and need to work on our ability to lead and fight. We are after all a military governor.

I'm good with the hunt, keep working on our prestige on that front after taking down reavers, maybe blow off some steam while we have the time to, and securing allies while we're on top and the Mayor's hold on other social circles is shattered just seems logical. Besides, we can't afford to keep having a huge party EVERY year.

[x] Patrol rail lines

About time for marriage I think. We can start on the education trait once we have the dynasty secured
Are you looking at some future turn?

We can't afford a hab, our build-curve is faster with an Entertainment Complex anyway. It's a bit early to be husband-hunting. We're still growing fast both personally and as a settlement- our pickings will be much better in a few years. We don't need to tweak any of our incomes yet by the Influence Exchange options (remember we can only be guaranteed ONE. We can't predicate a hab this turn on it. It would still need to be next turn if I'm understanding correctly. And we still accelerate the growth curve more by doing an Ent Comp first anyway). And I don't think we have a good reason to do a party like we did last turn. It hit some nice synergy points there but it's going to get beyond our wallets if we keep doing it all the time. I say we pull back and work on honing our combat. Officer Education, Hunting, Allies.

[X] Construct Building
[X] Patrol rail lines - Assign a unit to ensure the security of travellers in the rail lines. Current chance of encounter: LOW
[X] Patrol forest - Assign a unit to patrol the forests, seeking to eliminate dangerous wildlife or alien reavers before they become a problem. Current chance of encounter: MODERATE-HIGH
[X] Intrigue sweep - The mayor is down and reeling but there may be other threats out there
[X] Nomad diplomacy - The nomads are currently camped outside your settlement and there is some friction between them and the locals. You might want to sort that out.

[x] Study war

@veekie
Strongly disagree about marriage.
We are a small fish right now - let us truly come into our own, at least getting fuLl control over the settlement and make the settlement relevant, this will change the marriage candidates significantly, giving us far better choices.

Last edited:
@veekie Why would we want more culture when that's what we have the most of anyway?

Current plan is to build our Economy and Science until the current research projects are done, then start analyzing this new stuff from the nomads. Getting that first ought to seriously help our economy, at which point we can really work on expanding.

Are you looking at some future turn?

We can't afford a hab, our build-curve is faster with an Entertainment Complex anyway. It's a bit early to be husband-hunting. We're still growing fast both personally and as a settlement- our pickings will be much better in a few years. We don't need to tweak any of our incomes yet by the Influence Exchange options (remember we can only be guaranteed ONE. We can't predicate a hab this turn on it. It would still need to be next turn if I'm understanding correctly. And we still accelerate the growth curve more by doing an Ent Comp first anyway). And I don't think we have a good reason to do a party like we did last turn. It hit some nice synergy points there but it's going to get beyond our wallets if we keep doing it all the time. I say we pull back and work on honing our combat. Officer Education, Hunting, Allies.

Mobile

Blargh

[X] Construct Building

[X] Throw a party - Hold a major social gathering

Changed votes on discussion

Last edited:
[X] Construct Building

I'm going to trust @Ekans Ekans Ekans on the settlement actions and agree on what we should study. I think with the influx of personal resources and no current planned use for Massie and Sea that I'm aware of, we can pull off automating parties and that managing this now will open up strong options with Seek Allies, Find a Husband, and with flaunting what we manage to Hunt down the road.

Mobile

Blargh

[X] Construct Building

Changed votes on discussion
You forgot to cut two social actions when you added two.

Last edited:
@veekie Why would we want more culture when that's what we have the most of anyway?

Current plan is to build our Economy and Science until the current research projects are done, then start analyzing this new stuff from the nomads. Getting that first ought to seriously help our economy, at which point we can really work on expanding.
Because Culture is the primary resource that goes into building Habs, and we're going to need a LOT of habs in the long run. Also, we're a culture-focused place, as a resort town. It's important for us to build it up a lot right now. We're going to want to get to an Entertainment Complex Block, a Reactor Block, a Hab Block, a Network Center, a Lab (at this point, we do the Facemelter Research the very next turn), a Factory and a Barracks. After that we build towards a Lab Block and a Trade Post Block while excavating along the way. After that comes Factory Block, Foundry Block, Hab District, Network Center Block etc. etc.

[X] Construct Building

Back