Then it is not written in the option.
In the iron womb option it is stated that we only get 4 military influence refunded instead of full, but nothing like this is in the in vitro option.

Natural conception: 9 Military refunded and unit topped up (which gives an additional +1 next turn since you're not paying for it)

In vitro: Unit topped up but you still spent the 9 military this turn. You get an additional +1 next turn because you didn't pay the extra maintenance.

Iron womb: You get back 4 Military but the unit isn't topped up and you have to either top it up next turn or keep paying the cost to slowly fill it up naturally. This costs you additional Military influence and actions or goodwill from your subordinates.

If the baron fulfills his ambition there will be serious bonuses for you later.

Natural conception: 9 Military refunded and unit topped up (which gives an additional +1 next turn since you're not paying for it)

In vitro: Unit topped up but you still spent the 9 military this turn. You get an additional +1 next turn because you didn't pay the extra maintenance.

Iron womb: You get back 4 Military but the unit isn't topped up and you have to either top it up next turn or keep paying the cost to slowly fill it up naturally. This costs you additional Military influence and actions or goodwill from your subordinates.

If the baron fulfills his ambition there will be serious bonuses for you later.
Alright, good enough for me. I'll switch.

[x] Natural conception and gestation (Mech squadron topped off to full, Military influence expended refunded, increased chance of fulfilling baron's ambitions later, chance of annoying the baron's wife, chance of failing to conceive this year, chance of complications)
[x] Have the ex-nomads focus on working with the trading post to bring in more exotic goods (+1 Science Influence, retroactive)

@Academia Nut is it going to be possible to get a Belter Enclave in the near future?

@Everyone Else, I think the best build path going forward is going to be focusing on Science Income in Stonebridge (Since we'll have plenty of Econ) so we can excavate new build slots as necessary and slotting in supplementary facilities like Proving Grounds that we can't currently fit in Razorleaf. Optimization through stuff like Network Centers requires a lot of groundwork to get rolling and requires 9 buildings just to be effective- we should focus on just doing that in the more generalized Razorleaf Meadows where a lot more of that groundwork has already been done, and just use Stonebridge, for the moment, to generate influence and action types that we don't have enough building slots to wring out of Razorleaf yet. Stonebridge still gets built up, just with a more specialized nature. Everyone wins. Cooperative Specialization has a lot of benefits, and generally beats out Generalize Everything in the long-run.

(Note, generalizing everything gives the most bang for your buck in the VERY long run but we're talking about over the course of like a -century- and only for settlements the size of Shattersaw or Owl's Rest. Or considerably bigger. Right now it won't help us at all. And the opportunity costs will sink us. Once we can cram a couple hundred buildings into a single settlement, we can make a lateral shift to generalization, but for right now it's not really necessary. It's only worth doing the networking in Razorleaf because most of the assets are going to be there for it anyway. We can network Stonebridge in like 15-20 years from now when it's finally getting close to its building limit and also has most of the groundwork already done. Trying to network it should NOT be a goal in its own right though).

@George @redzonejoe since you guys like to track this stuff. That's my two cents based on my understanding of the system. No way in hell I'm doing that much math though :p So if there's a better path, you guys will have to find it.

*drools*

Me brain! Me no like brain. George, you brain?

Also, did nobody like my shapers of the apocalypse name drop? I was proud of it.

It would seem that it would be better to make Stonebridge the military focus, what with it primarily being a military checkpoint between Green Owl and the now-failed-state of Diamond Dome full of betrayed and desperate druggies.

[x] Natural conception and gestation (Mech squadron topped off to full, Military influence expended refunded, increased chance of fulfilling baron's ambitions later, chance of annoying the baron's wife, chance of failing to conceive this year, chance of complications)
[x] Have the ex-nomads focus on working with the trading post to bring in more exotic goods (+1 Science Influence, retroactive)

I'm tired now, but I'll debate/consider this tomorrow.
I'd say military + science would be wise for Stonebridge. We've got plenty of Econ + Culture in Razorleaf (and Razorleaf is also more generalized). Grouping the Science & Military buildup more in Stonebridge would be pretty wise. So I'm somewhat with Lailoken here. Military there is good, but Military + Science is best.

Military+Science build, hmm?

Where have have we seen that before?(might as well start calling it Greenbridge as a tongue in cheek:p)

Well, if the timeline is anything like the original, we're going to be stuck in a war economy for something like two decades. Ironically, every settlement is going to need to be balanced in everything except military, which they'll be light on, because we can freely trade anything for military, but can't fill in any other gaps with trade. That goes double if we get special military access from our new ally.

Last edited:
I don't remember, what's the viability of building Underground in Dandriss?

Because, honestly, it's tempting to just tunnel up and work on viable weapons/ships/whatever while the enemy throws itself against Dandriss.

I mean, they have trouble finding our settlements already, if we're underground (or camouflaged by growing giant trees/vines over the settlement) we'll be invisible.

Because, honestly, it's tempting to just tunnel up and work on viable weapons/ships/whatever while the enemy throws itself against Dandriss.

I mean, they have trouble finding our settlements already, if we're underground (or camouflaged by growing giant trees/vines over the settlement) we'll be invisible.

Extremely nonviable, you're decades to centuries away from significant underground structures.

As everyone in IRC already knows, I've been gunning for self-sustaining mobile-city mech caravans roving the woods since before the game started. However, I think we're gonna need something like a Foundry District and a couple hundred Econ per turn minimum before we try something like that. Figure 50-ish years from now we might be able to.

In the meanwhile I'm just gonna be crossing my fingers for us to be able to get a Belter Enclave. I want to get a trade block with a bunch of distinct polities' cultures participating.

Only the mechanics do guide the narrative and I'm concerned about the narrative impact of how efficiently Ella runs her settlement. We can pick up a Factory but I just don't think a Factory Block is at all sensible unless the 'advanced goods' are vastly superior to what I expect and getting a Factory soon rather than around turn 12-15 would delay things like a Barracks, Hab, or Research Lab that have their own narrative strengths in an, I believe, unreasonable way.
As a note, foundries provide no income and therefore have no narrative boost to our economy. They only let us build war machines, which we can get other ways.
I don't expect a depletion of military forces to significantly impact our entertainment industry. It's not geared towards them and depending on how we fill our slots it could be a pretty small number of people.

We've been told that Anna wouldn't bother researching the Facemelters if we gave them to her. That's plenty of justification from my perspective for us to not bother either at this time. Maybe when we have an actual research infrastructure and it's just a turn or less worth of income.
I think a piece of steel moving at, ahem, a sufficient velocity is quite sufficiently effective and scary.

All of that aside, the Barracks Block Rush Build Plan I put forth does Culture to Military conversions as the main source anyway.
Yes, how much of the different influence types we produce and have matters. However saying that buildings only matter for the inlfuence gain is wrong. They give us more options for settlement actions and more and different actions for events. For example if we had a proving ground back when Anna started with the laser weapon research we could have tested them and likely gotten a few for our troops. Then there's the repair costs for our mech, if we can repair it ourselves it very likely won't cost as much to repair it.
As for the narrative impact of Ella running the settlements efficiently, that's certainly there else the the upadates wouldn't contain people that complain that she doesn't. In turn four they complained about not enough troops and now they are complaining about an economy to reliant on tourism.
Being able to build (and sell) warmachines is both a narrative and mechanical boost to our settlement. We can spend a combination of economic, cultural and military influence to obtain them, at far lesser cost. For example building a Jaeger company costs 5 economy, 3 military and 2 culture, while requisitioning a Jaeger company costs 20 military. We also can't requisition any troops at the moment, if we want more than our Jaeger companies we will have to build . I expect that a factory allows us to build artillery.
If a build down of troops doesn't affect our entertainment industry, a build up won't either. So either way just building barracks doesn't help with the economy. The state of which people in the narrative have complained about. What it does do is allow us to build more Jaeger companies and it lets Anna deploy troops to the region. The last one does help with the war effort though, combinig it with expanding our production and maintainance capacity would be better though.

Yes we have been told that Anna won't research the Darts, but that's not because they wouldn't be effective. It's because Anna is throwing everything at attaining space flight to contest the orbitals.
Well, I find burning alive to be more scary than getting shot. Especially if cover doesn't do much to prevent getting burned.

Turn 7
Culture 12
Economy -2
Science 3
Military 10

Culture +11
Economy +10 (+9)
Science +6
Military +4

Turn 8 Culture -> Military + ClF3​ (30->39/50)
Culture 23->0
Economy 7
Science 9->0
Military 14->37

Culture +11
Economy +10
Science +6
Military +4

Turn 9 Build Barracks #1 [Stonebridge] + ClF3​ (39->45/50)
Culture 11
Economy 17->12
Science 0
Military 37->22

Culture +11
Economy +10
Science +6
Military +7

Turn 10 ClF3​ (45->51/50)
Culture 22
Economy 22
Science 0
Military 29

Culture +11
Economy +10
Science +6
Military +7

Turn 11 Barracks #1 [Razorleaf] + Factory #1 [Razorleaf]
Culture 33
Economy 32->2
Science 6
Military 35->20

Culture +11
Economy +13
Science +6
Military +10

Turn 12 Hab
Culture 33
Economy 15->10
Science 12
Military 35->20

Culture +12
Economy +14
Science +7
Military +11

Turn 13
Culture 45
Economy 24
Science 19
Military 31
Turn 9 Barracks, Turn 11 Barracks and Factory and Turn 12 Hab. In Turn 13 more Barracks, Proving Grounds can be build or another Hab can be build. In Turn 14 a Lab can be build, if no Proving Grounds has been build in Turn 13 or an additional Hab. (Edit: A Foundry can also be build in Turn 14)

Turn 7
Culture 12
Economy -2
Science 3
Military 10

Culture +11
Economy +10 (+9)
Science +6
Military +4

Turn 8 Culture -> Military + ClF3​ (30->39/50)
Culture 23->0
Economy 7
Science 9->0
Military 14->37

Culture +11
Economy +10
Science +6
Military +4

Turn 9 ClF3​ (39->45/50)
Culture 11
Economy 17
Science 0
Military 41

Culture +11
Economy +10
Science +6
Military +4

Turn 10 Factory #1 [Razorleaf] + ClF3​ (39->51/50)
Culture 22
Economy 27->2
Science 0
Military 45

Culture +11
Economy +13
Science +6
Military +4

Turn 11 Barracks #1 [Razorleaf] + Barracks #1 [Stonebridge]
Culture 33
Economy 15->5
Science 6
Military 45->15

Culture +11
Economy +13
Science +6
Military +10

Turn 12 Hab
Culture 44
Economy 18->13
Science 12
Military 25

Culture +12
Economy +14
Science +7
Military +11

Turn 13 Foundry
Culture 56
Economy 27->2
Science 19
Military 36

Culture +12
Economy +17
Science +7
Military +11
Turn 10 Factory, Turn 11 two Barracks, Turn 12 Hab and Turn 13 Foundry. In Turn 14 a Lab can be build, as well as two Habs.

Edit: With both plans we can start to build units to fill out or troops. In Turn 15 or 14, respectively.

Last edited:
As everyone in IRC already knows, I've been gunning for self-sustaining mobile-city mech caravans roving the woods since before the game started. However, I think we're gonna need something like a Foundry District and a couple hundred Econ per turn minimum before we try something like that. Figure 50-ish years from now we might be able to.

In the meanwhile I'm just gonna be crossing my fingers for us to be able to get a Belter Enclave. I want to get a trade block with a bunch of distinct polities' cultures participating.

Nomadic roving state is basically a failure state. It's better than being wiped out completely but it's straight up worse than fixed infrastructure.

It would seem that it would be better to make Stonebridge the military focus, what with it primarily being a military checkpoint between Green Owl and the now-failed-state of Diamond Dome full of betrayed and desperate druggies.
My concern is with putting assets like Proving Grounds, Foundries, and Mech Tilting Grounds in an area that could potentially be recaptured. I think it makes more sense for those to be further towards the center of the territory. I'm in favor of Barracks and military forces in Stonebridge, but I balk at an actual military focus there for security reasons.

1. Build up Research Labs aggressively to contribute to beating the Mantis back down the line
  2. Rush Barracks Block(s) to contribute a staging ground to the coming ground war
  3. Work on the Reactor Block and Hab Block alongside the Factory to get a Foundry and the income to use it and contribute material assets to the coming ground war
Strike 1 due to lack of support. Inclined to strike 2 for similar reasons and inelegance - I'm inclined to build Barracks in both settlements without any conversion, at least for 2-3 total Barracks. I'll draft an example plan of 3 later today and go over what Arbit came up with.

It's a trap!

I just realized that this choice is being presented when any natural birth is going to mean gestating the fetus with the nightmare cube on. @Academia Nut you sneaky bastard.

We really should have pursued our most promising ally sooner.

It's okay. As far as we've been told, the important thing is that Ella selects a candidate. The Baron wants to be selected for the sake of his own aspirations. The child just seals the deal, and beyond that is superfluous. If Ella makes it known that she conceived and perhaps birthed the child, but then something unfortunate happened before the child had a chance to tear a screaming rent into the fabric of reality, well, everybody already has what they want and knew going in that natural conception had a higher risk of complications.

We should first name her after grandma, of course.

Back