Attempting to Subvert the Plan: Dominion Edition

Retcon: Should General Horner (the MC) have been The Magistrate (Starcraft 1 PC)?

• Yes

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • This does not matter to me

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So my Cart Before The Horse thoughts for Q2 in Heavy Industry is 4 dice on NIM, which on average will put it at 300-something out of 400, and does have an outside chance of completing it, and 3 (free) dice on SCV, which on average completes it, if just barely.

And then Q3 would be finishing NIM, Finishing SCV if we need to, and starting on that Mining Complex in earnest. Or something like that.

The big question is if the Tool and Die Factory reduction applies to those first two. Shaving 50 off is a big deal, and would allow us to complete the NIM with 5 dice (1 free) and Vardona SCV with 2 dice (both free) on average.

So my Cart Before The Horse thoughts for Q2 in Heavy Industry is 4 dice on NIM, which on average will put it at 300-something out of 400, and does have an outside chance of completing it, and 3 (free) dice on SCV, which on average completes it, if just barely.

And then Q3 would be finishing NIM, Finishing SCV if we need to, and starting on that Mining Complex in earnest. Or something like that.
I'd advocating switching those dice around - 4 on SCV, and 3 on NIM - since we've already seen that a cost-saving project like the T&D Works can benefit projects undertaken in the same turn. (Hence why the military project effectively finishes this turn already.) And with NIM unlikely to be completed that turn, reducing the dice-assignment by one wouldn't really impact the feasibility of completing it next turn.

Though we should probably wait and see what other projects the T&D Works affects, and what sort of assistance we can hire this turn for their dice boni.

I'd advocating switching those dice around - 4 on SCV, and 3 on NIM - since we've already seen that a cost-saving project like the T&D Works can benefit projects undertaken in the same turn. (Hence why the military project effectively finishes this turn already.) And with NIM unlikely to be completed that turn, reducing the dice-assignment by one wouldn't really impact the feasibility of completing it next turn.

Though we should probably wait and see what other projects the T&D Works affects, and what sort of assistance we can hire this turn for their dice boni.

I think that continued discounting of NIM and continuing, as we have already done this turn, albeit for a good reason, to basically keep on chipping in small numbers of dice into what is in fact a highly critical piece of the Dominion's economy would be a mistake.

But yes, it is also wait and see with what the Tool and Die impacts.

The big question is if the Tool and Die Factory reduction applies to those first two. Shaving 50 off is a big deal, and would allow us to complete the NIM with 5 dice (1 free) and Vardona SCV with 2 dice (both free) on average.
General observation regarding Planquests:

Any tentative outline plan for "we should spend X dice on this and Y dice on that" can be assumed to include the caveat "and if the expected average dice costs of those projects unexpectedly drop, I'll want to spend fewer dice on those projects."

I think that continued discounting of NIM and continuing, as we have already done this turn, albeit for a good reason, to basically keep on chipping in small numbers of dice into what is in fact a highly critical piece of the Dominion's economy would be a mistake.
I'm... having trouble being sure I'm parsing this sentence correctly. Could you expand on this? I'm not even disagreeing, I just want to make sure I get what you're saying fully.

General observation regarding Planquests:

Any tentative outline plan for "we should spend X dice on this and Y dice on that" can be assumed to include the caveat "and if the expected average dice costs of those projects unexpectedly drop, I'll want to spend fewer dice on those projects."

I'm... having trouble being sure I'm parsing this sentence correctly. Could you expand on this? I'm not even disagreeing, I just want to make sure I get what you're saying fully.

Too many commas, will shorten it.

I think there were reasons to only spend two dice on NIM this turn, and I do think it paid off. However, I think constantly short-changing it by lowering the dice invested in it because it is "unlikely to complete" kinda just doesn't make much sense. It's a self-fulfilling evaluation. Constantly shortchange it dice and devalue it, it keeps on taking longer to actually complete, so you can continue to shortchange it.

Like in theory it could have completed in two turns by spending 4 dice on NIM this turn, and 4 next turn.

Instead, I was convinced to offer a plan that invested only two dice into NIM.

And then when I propose investing four dice into NIM, I have it suggested that I should only invest three.

(Admittedly it wasn't helped by the atrocious rolls this past turn for NIM.)

Last edited:
The concern is that if we complete SCVs and NIM next turn, we will discover that with the SCV discount we actually overcompleted NIM, and therefore wasted dice and resources. I don't actually think this is too much of a problem though, as iirc NIM has multiple phases anyway.

Too many commas, will shorten it.

I think there were reasons to only spend two dice on NIM this turn, and I do think it paid off. However, I think constantly short-changing it by lowering the dice invested in it because it is "unlikely to complete" kinda just doesn't make much sense. It's a self-fulfilling evaluation. Constantly shortchange it dice and devalue it, it keeps on taking longer to actually complete, so you can continue to shortchange it.

Like in theory it could have completed in two turns by spending 4 dice on NIM this turn, and 4 next turn.

Instead, I was convinced to offer a plan that invested only two dice into NIM.

And then when I propose investing four dice into NIM, I have it suggested that I should only invest three.

(Admittedly it wasn't helped by the atrocious rolls this past turn for NIM.)
Ah.

Well, my own assessment is that it's generally a good idea to budget dice in rough order of importance, with ease of completion being a factor only insofar as it affects "bang-to-buck" ratios.

Thinking back, honestly... I'm not sure pushing the tool and die works instead of NIM and the SCV factory was a good idea at all. It remains to be seen whether it had enough impact to make it worth diverting 200 Progress worth of die effort from those other, obviously impactful projects.

The question now becomes which is going to be more immediately impactful, the NIM or the SCV factory. My honest instinct is that the SCV factory is going to be more impactful at first, at least until we complete Nephor II Reconstruction, simply because overhauling a factory only does you so much good when the workforce is still living in shanties constructed out of rubble and the planet's power and transportation systems are unreliable.

So yeah, I'd be prioritizing the SCV plant first and the NIM second, but not just because the NIM is the bigger project.

Ah.

Well, my own assessment is that it's generally a good idea to budget dice in rough order of importance, with ease of completion being a factor only insofar as it affects "bang-to-buck" ratios.

Thinking back, honestly... I'm not sure pushing the tool and die works instead of NIM and the SCV factory was a good idea at all. It remains to be seen whether it had enough impact to make it worth diverting 200 Progress worth of die effort from those other, obviously impactful projects.

The question now becomes which is going to be more immediately impactful, the NIM or the SCV factory. My honest instinct is that the SCV factory is going to be more impactful at first, at least until we complete Nephor II Reconstruction, simply because overhauling a factory only does you so much good when the workforce is still living in shanties constructed out of rubble and the planet's power and transportation systems are unreliable.

So yeah, I'd be prioritizing the SCV plant first and the NIM second, but not just because the NIM is the bigger project.

Two points. First, I believe getting started on major industrial production will have a lot of important knock-on effects.

Second, the plan as I am envisoning it already involves spending 4 dice on Nephor II Reconstruction next turn. Neglecting NIM because, "It won't be as impactful because until Nephor II Reconstruction isn't done" seems once again to kinda put things around backward.

Two points. First, I believe getting started on major industrial production will have a lot of important knock-on effects.

Second, the plan as I am envisoning it already involves spending 4 dice on Nephor II Reconstruction next turn. Neglecting NIM because, "It won't be as impactful because until Nephor II Reconstruction isn't done" seems once again to kinda put things around backward.
The way I see it, both the SCV factory and the NIM refurbishment will have a lot of important knock-on effects; it's not a case of one being important when the other isn't. For the kind of specific tasks most needed for huge reconstruction megaprojects, I think the SCVs might actually be immediately more useful, but maybe not, that's speculation.

However, there's an important point hidden in the blurb text of the actions:

[] Nephor II: Planetary Reconstruction (Phase 1) [Reconstruction]
The industrial world of Nephor II was hit hard by the Great War; while the Zerg presence was minimal, the fighting between the Sons and the Confederates was fierce, especially once the factory workers started taking sides. Many of the world's valuable manufactories are in ruins, its hab-blocks burnt out and abandoned, and productivity is at an all-time low. This is not a workable state of affairs; the Dominion needs those factories, and to restart them it needs housing for their workers.
(Progress 0/500, -10R per die)

[] Nephor II: Nephor Industrial Megacomplex (Phase 1) [Reconstruction]
The NIM was the premier mega-factory in all of Confederate space, allegedly superior to even the forge-world of Moria. Now it sits abandoned, partially burnt out, and in need of serious TLC. In truth, despite its shining reputation, the Megacomplex was subject to a substantial diversion of funds and major corruption even prior to the Great War, and its surviving machines are run-down and out of date. A comprehensive reworking is necessary for it to reach anything like its prior claimed output.
(Progress 0/400, -10R per die, Resource income)

The Heavy Industry NIM project is about updating, replacing, and reorganizing the mega-factory's facilities. The Infrastructure reconstruction project is about restoring the basic facilities as they already exist. To reach the mega-factory's claimed prior output (with the clear implication that those claims were significantly exaggerated) will require the NIM project. But to restore the mega-factory's actual prior output (a less ambitious goal) will clearly require the reconstruction project.

To me, this strongly suggests that bee-lining the NIM project won't get us as far as we'd like. Not because the NIM project is unimportant, but because the infrastructure just isn't there. Because there's no point in putting shiny new machine tools in a factory that has holes in the roof and no utilities connections and no easy immediate way to ship goods off-planet because the spaceport ate a tac nuke during the fighting.

So I suspect that the benefits of NIM refurbishment will be to some extent "strangled" until Nephor reconstruction is complete. First because of "tools to make the tools" issues (many of the machines we want running in the refurbished NIM would themselves best be made at factories on Nephor that are already in need of reconstruction), and second because of general infrastructural deficiencies.

I do not deny that your plan will be working to resolve those issues by working on reconstruction, to be clear, but I do think there is an element of "cart before the horse" at work here.

If we had nothing else of comparable importance to do in Heavy Industry, I would nevertheless favor major investments in NIM. I would favor major investments in reconstructing Nephor II regardless, and I do now, and have in the past, quite consistently. But because we have another heavy industrial investment to make elsewhere that may well prove just as impactful (especially with reconstruction work like the exact work being done on Nephor II), I would tend to favor the SCV factory over NIM at the present moment.

This is simply because I expect both the reconstruction project (which I intend to work hard on) and the NIM project to be impactful, but expect the NIM project not to reach full good effect until after the reconstruction project is done, which means we have a window of opportunity to do other things that are themselves good and impactful.

Last edited:
I was convinced to push back on investment of NIM dice because there's "higher priorities" and because surely the dice could just be invested next turn to complete it.

Now, after a slightly underwhelming dice roll pushes are being made to make NIM secondary under the logic that it can simply be completed Q3.

But if the roll is even slightly underwhelming, why wouldn't we then use the same logic to push it back to Q4? I don't know if I fundamentally trust the impulse, and I think it's more important to make more solid progress on NIM than it is to put too many dice on SCV. On average 3 dice completes SCV and we also have Omakes if we do get close but no cigar.

It's not a loss in one sense if we overflow into SCV Phase 2, but when we're trying to complete both NIM and the Keresh Mining Complex this year, a potential wasted dice on the SCVs could narrow our margins and increase the already high Free Dice total.

I believe we should complete both this year because we need both the income and the headstart on next year's Augustgrad Phase 2, one which we'll almost certainly need.

Last edited:
I was convinced to push back on investment of NIM dice because there's "higher priorities" and because surely the dice could just be invested next turn to complete it.

Now, after a slightly underwhelming dice roll pushes are being made to make NIM secondary under the logic that it can simply be completed Q3.
Well, I can't really speak for any of those "pushes that are being made," since my own line of argument is something else entirely, that I have already described.

With that said, if the SCV factory is likely to complete either way, then from my perspective as a sometime planmaker, my goal is fulfilled. I am not advocating piling more dice on the SCV factory than necessary to give it a reasonable likelihood of completion (say, 60% or more).

Which project I think is more important is separate from the question of whether there is enough to go around to do a good deal for Priority #2 after Priority #1 is met.

Hmm, to compare it.

Currently: Nephor II: Nephor Industrial Megacomplex (Phase 1): 0 + 52 + 10 + 18 = 80/400. Costs 10 R per dice.

SCV Factory: 153/300. Costs 15 R per dice.

Version #1

Q2: 4 dice on Nephor, 1d100+9 per die, average result of 236+80=326
3 Free Dice on SCV Factor: Average result 1d100-1=147+153=300/300, with as much as 15 wiggle room owing to Omake.

Q3, if SCV doesn't complete.

SCV: 1 dice, to almost assuredly complete
NIM: 2 dice, to complete.
Keresh: 3 dice, 2 Free, average progress 144/300

Q3, if SCV does complete.

Keresh: 4 dice, 2 free, average progress 196/300
NIM: 2 dice.

Resource Cost for the two turns: 145-150 R
Free Dice Cost: 3 free dice in Q2, 2 Free Dice in Q3
Keresh at average of 144 or 196 out of 300, will certainly complete Q4.

Version #2

Q2

1 dice, 2 free dice on Nephor, average result of 177+80=257/400

4 dice on SCV: Average final result 349/300

Q3

3 dice on Keresh, average progress 144/300
3 dice on NIM, outside chance of not completing the action.

So I think the big difficulty is that there's less of a chance for being able to put 4 dice on Keresh in Q3 with Version #2, and there's some risk of not completing NIM in Q3, whereas Version #1 absolutely 100% completes NIM and SCV in Q3 barring terrible luck.

Though neither 'build' will be, like, the end of the universe.

This draft doesn't take into account the bonuses from Hire Advisors. Nor the Progress cost reductions from Tool and Die Works nor any cost reductions from Neotextile Fabrication Plant. So it is pessimistic about project completion chances, though it does factor in the impact of omake bonuses.

It's a start.

Now, we're going to have (probably) a one-off surge of R from finishing the Brontes cleanup, and we're going to have some income from the refugee workshops on Tyrador IX. We have 95 left over from the Q1 budget. And we have 305 RpT from the Q1 budget alone, not counting the slush fund, which I am leaving out of this plan for now.

So, minimum plausible budget, and I am being quite pessimistic here, would be 410 R. There will probably be more than that, since I doubt that both Brontes and the refugee workshops are good for only 5 R each. However, we should probably not plan on spending all 410 at once, unless we have a lot of really attractive projects to spend them on.

Again, this is still kind of skeletal. It is also extremely aggressive about the Nephor II reconstruction project, which I see as higher priority and more worthy of Free dice than the megacomplex overhaul project over in Heavy Industry.

I am open to suggestions. Right now I've got ten dice fallow. Unless we're better off than I dare to hope on income next quarter some of those will stay fallow, but probably not all. For instance, I don't really have a firm opinion on one to even do in Light Industry.

Budget:
290/410 R
4/4 Free dice

[] 2507Q2 Draft Plan Attempting to Pick A Light Industry Project
-[] Infrastructure (5/5 dice + 4 Free, -3 penalty, 90 R)
--[] Korhal: Capital City Augustgrad (Phase 1) 143/300 (2 dice, 20 R) (17% chance)
--[] Nephor II: Planetary Reconstruction (Phase 1) 78/500 (7 dice, 70 R) (17% chance)

-[] Heavy Industry (4/4 dice, -3 penalty, 55 R)
--[] Vardona: Ardonin Heavy Vehicle Factory (Phase 1) 153/300 (3 dice, 45 R) (58% chance)
--[] Nephor II: Nephor Industrial Megacomplex (Phase 1) 80/400 (1 die, 10 R) (1/7 median)

-[] Light Industry (0/4 dice, -3 penalty, 0 R)
--[] Four dice fallow
--[] Open to suggestions
--[] I suspect that the big vespene operations get a lot easier once Nephor II is running
--[] You need big capital goods facilities to build big resource extraction ops

-[] Environmental (4/4 dice, -8 penalty, 20 R)
--[] Korhal: Regreening Effort (Phase 1) 0/200 (4 dice, 20 R) (40% chance)

-[] Services (2/4 dice, -8 penalty, 20 R)
--[] Re-Establish the Universal News Network 2/100 (2 dice, 20 R) (52% chance)
--[] Two dice fallow, budget issues. May fill in later.

-[] Military (3/5 dice, -3 penalty, 30 R)
--[] Nephor II: Fort Horner Marine Training Camp 0/200 (3 dice, 30 R) (21% chance)

-[] Research (2/4 dice, -8 penalty, 40 R)
--[] Broken Mesa Xenobiology Institute 50/200 (2 dice, 40 R) (13% chance)

-[] Bureaucracy (4/4 dice, -3 penalty, 35 R)
--[] Truth and Reconciliation Committee (I) 146/200 (1 die, 5 R) (54% chance)
--[] Conduct a Dominion-Wide Census 42/300 (3 dice, 30 R) (0.7% chance)

I'd be shocked if the Refugee Workshop wasn't giving more like 25 R.
My gut feeling is that the refugee workshop will only provide about 10-15 RpT, enough that the project takes, say, 4-8-ish turns to pay for itself. A 25 RpT surge would mean those workshops are so profitable that they totally recoup the cost of construction within about 6-9 months, and that just feels excessive to me.

But the one-off salvage reward for clearing the Brontes orbitals could be something pretty nice, like 40-60 R, I'm guessing.

When it comes to budgeting for draft plans, I'm being deliberately pessimistic just to avoid blithely budgeting 450 R or something and then realizing "oh shit, that's all we have" because it turned out projects weren't as nice as I expected.

Even so, I'm actively looking for some things to do in Services, Research, Military, and Light Industry, it's just that I don't want to totally overbudget by doing expensive stuff in all those categories when it isn't strictly required.

My gut feeling is that the refugee workshop will only provide about 10-15 RpT, enough that the project takes, say, 4-8-ish turns to pay for itself. A 25 RpT surge would mean those workshops are so profitable that they totally recoup the cost of construction within about 6-9 months, and that just feels excessive to me.

But the one-off salvage reward for clearing the Brontes orbitals could be something pretty nice, like 40-60 R, I'm guessing.

When it comes to budgeting for draft plans, I'm being deliberately pessimistic just to avoid blithely budgeting 450 R or something and then realizing "oh shit, that's all we have" because it turned out projects weren't as nice as I expected.

Even so, I'm actively looking for some things to do in Services, Research, Military, and Light Industry, it's just that I don't want to totally overbudget by doing expensive stuff in all those categories when it isn't strictly required.

5 R was noted as being an incredible lowball for the Keresh Mining. It being only 15 R would be pretty weird if the 5 R from Keresh was meant to be an incredible lowball.

-[] Light Industry (0/4 dice, -3 penalty, 0 R)
--[] Four dice fallow
--[] Open to suggestions
--[] I suspect that the big vespene operations get a lot easier once Nephor II is running
--[] You need big capital goods facilities to build big resource extraction ops
What about Phase 2 of Refugee Workshops? It shouldn't be particularly expensive in terms of budget, and we could always use more income. Neotextiles might also appeal given we have a good amount of overflow from it this turn, and our poor budgetary situation.

I definitely can't support this plan. I do like its Environment and Bureaucracy decisions, but putting only a single die into NIM Q2 basically guarantees that it won't be completed until the end of the year, which is honestly just a terrible decision when we need more Resource income.

Nephor Reconstruction is cool, and so putting seven dice is neat, but, like. Not so sure there.

What about Phase 2 of Refugee Workshops? It shouldn't be particularly expensive in terms of budget, and we could always use more income. Neotextiles might also appeal given we have a good amount of overflow from it this turn, and our poor budgetary situation.
I'm not saying 'no,' though part of me does want to get started on the Canis refinery soon. Our economic fundamentals rely on having plenty of fuel and so on, and I suspect Canis will turn out to be a more important project than we think. At the same time, I suspect it's going to be a lot more practical to build the place after we finish work on Nephor's reconstruction, on the megafactory improvements, or both, much as in Blackstar's "Soviet Planquest" it was a lot easier to make progress in the petrochemical sector after producing major factory complexes at places like Uralmash and Gorky.

I definitely can't support this plan. I do like its Environment and Bureaucracy decisions, but putting only a single die into NIM Q2 basically guarantees that it won't be completed until the end of the year, which is honestly just a terrible decision when we need more Resource income.

Nephor Reconstruction is cool, and so putting seven dice is neat, but, like. Not so sure there.
5 R was noted as being an incredible lowball for the Keresh Mining. It being only 15 R would be pretty weird if the 5 R from Keresh was meant to be an incredible lowball.
I think these two statements sit strangely together.

The minimum budget required to activate all our dice is roughly 400-450 R. We're at 305 RpT. We can expect to complete multiple projects between now and the end of the year that will boost income (such as phase 2 of the workshops, such as a mine here or there; there are a variety of possibilities).

If you expect each individual significant project to product something like 25 RpT for 400 Progress worth of initial investment, then we're going to be pretty close to where we need to be if we just keep working along peaceably in any of a variety of ways. So either you're overestimating the profitability of the workshops, or there isn't as much of a problem as you think with the NIM upgrades being finished.

Moreover, I think you've mis-diagnosed the problem. Our heavy industrial sector (centered on Nephor) is a wreck not just because we haven't modernized Nephor's machines, but because we haven't repaired Nephor itself. You're focusing on modernizing the machines as the solution to the problem, but what needs doing most is repair of the infrastructure. There are other Heavy Industry projects that will make our lives easier and let us get things done too, and pursuing those is not a bad idea.

Though if it's any consolation, my own plan would be to focus Free dice on whatever I think is going to have the most general benefits to our heavy industrial sector. Right now I think that's reconstruction of Nephor, specifically because I think we need to rebuild the planet back up to its level of actual output under the Confederacy before we can hope to have a first-rate advancement of its output to higher desired standards. Next turn, with Nephor II's reconstruction (or Phase 1 of it) being within shouting distance of completion, Free dice priority shifts to Heavy Industry, in particular to throwing a lot of dice at NIM.

I'm just not seeing this as likely to end badly the way you do. I think the positive impact of the SCVs in the short term, when there is so much large scale civil engineering work to be done just to repair the facilities that already exist, is more important than getting a bunch of shiny new machines into factories that are still bombed-out wrecks.

While we're at it, who "noted 5 RpT as an incredible lowball?" I must have missed something. Is this special Discord-only stuff that I'm only now hearing about? I can believe I missed something. But I think you're overestimating how lucrative certain projects are.

Last edited:
I don't remember where it was said but Etranger did say that most of Keresh's output is earmarked for Augustgrad

While we're at it, who "noted 5 RpT as an incredible lowball?" I must have missed something. Is this special Discord-only stuff that I'm only now hearing about? I can believe I missed something. But I think you're overestimating how lucrative certain projects are.

It might be Discord-only, but Etranger basically said that getting 5 R from the Keresh Mining was because the large majority of the income gained from it was basically nonexistent because it was all going to Augustgrad. So I suspect it's at least 20 R, IMO. I'd place it at 15-20 minimum, especially since it's a much bigger bit of work (400, as opposed to 200).

Last edited:
It might be Discord-only, but Etranger basically said that getting 5 R from the Keresh Mining was because the large majority of the income gained from it was basically nonexistent because it was all going to Augustgrad. So I suspect it's at least 20 R, IMO. I'd place it at 15-20 minimum, especially since it's a much bigger bit of work (400, as opposed to 200).
Well, maybe I'm in for a pleasant surprise.

But my own interpretation is that the mining complex is focused on stuff that, while very useful for bulk heavy construction, isn't exactly rare material. Things like raw rock for aggregate, or iron ore for steel. Stuff that it would be pointlessly expensive to ship in from off-planet (seriously, imagine an interstellar freighter whose purpose is literally just to deliver a pile of rocks to the Augustgrad construction site). But the mine wouldn't necessarily be producing a ton of R if we'd just built it somewhere else, because I doubt the Dominion actually has that big of a shortage of bulk iron ore and aggregate and whatnot. It's only in short supply on Korhal because Korhal is a totally barren wasteland.

It's like how "in situ resource utilization" in space can be a huge cost savings for space missions, even though the resource utilization in question is often very small scale production of very basic things. Because it's disproportionately profitable to make materials on-site when you would otherwise have to ship them in at great expense from a long way away.

Also, I'm not sure projects in different categories are fully commensurate in terms of probable return on investment. A mine and a sweatshop aren't the same thing and don't do the same things.

The good news is, if you're right, we can probably just keep spamming Light Industry dice into the workshops and get something like another +30 or +40 RpT more on top of the +20 or so RpT we're already getting, which is enough to close much of the gap in our resource output and let us activate nearly all dice by the end of the year even if we get nothing from any other projects.

We also need to finish it before the end of plan anyway.
In this context, "end of plan" is a pointlessly distant deadline; the concern is whether we're going to be able to cram Keresh Mining Complex Phase 2, Nephor Industrial Megacomplex Phase 1, and Ardonin Heavy Vehicle Factory Phase 1 into the three remaining turns of Heavy Industry dice we have this year.

Optimistically we can hope for some additional bonuses (from Horner's literacy improving if nothing else), but we can expect roughly 50 Progress per die on average. So expect 6-7 dice on the megacomplex, 6 dice on the Keresh mines, and 3 dice on the SCV plant, roughly. That's about fifteen dice when we only have twelve to play with, making it quasi-mandatory that we invest significant Free dice if we want all three projects on the desired schedule.

To @The Laurent , it is evidently vital that we get the NIM facility upgraded and the mines done within this current year, so for him it's vitally important that we front-load that, even at the expense of dice on the SCV plant

My own feeling is that the real 'killer app' there is reconstruction on Nephor II, so I'm willing to take a little more risk, plus I'm taking for granted the investment of Free dice into Heavy Industry in 2507Q3 and 'Q4 to wrap up the Keresh mines on Korhal and if necessary the NIM upgrades. To me, the NIM upgrades are very important but not nearly as critical as restarting the existing factories at all by rebuilding the planet's infrastructure. The Confederacy was able to function without the upgrades we're talking about doing here, at least more or less, so we can too, at least for a while.

Turn 3 (Q1 2507): Personnel Subvote
February 17, 2507
Dominion Treasury Building (Temporary)
Vardona

The time has come once again to expand your legion of minions, to whom your every whim is an ironclad command, to whom your barest sigh is sharp condemnation, to whom every fractional smile is reason enough to keep living another day...

Okay, maybe you need to cut back on the triple espressos.

Anyway, your inner office is due to expand again, this time with a set of personal advisors outside the Treasury proper. More advice can't possibly hurt, especially the kind that doesn't come with bureaucratic power plays or palace intrigue.

Pick one of the following:

[] Cruikshank and Taylor
The oldest law firm in the sector, C&T are the handmaidens to power, standing to the left and just behind every Confederate Speaker and Magistrate of note for the last two hundred years. Generational change and the depredations of the Great War have left them with a new and dynamic executive committee made up of young (well, relatively; they're in their 40s and 50s) lawyers seeking to make their mark on the new Dominion. Putting them on retainer would give you some serious legal firepower.

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe: +5 to all Infrastructure, Bureaucracy, and Personal dice
Center of Power: +5 to all Vardona projects (will change to Korhal after completion of Augustgrad Phase 2)

[] Koprulu Disaster Relief Committee
Edward Fitzsimmons' old NGO is still up and running, providing food, shelter, and other resources to the massive population of refugees across the Fringe Worlds. Their personnel are hardened veterans of the Great War refugee exodus and can offer a broad spectrum of helpful advice, particularly given their widespread acceptance in otherwise untrusting Fringe frontier settlements.

Crisis Management: +5 to all Infrastructure, Environmental, and Services dice
Frontier Contacts: +5 to all Fringe Worlds projects

[] Milspec Ltd.
Having failed to secure a government position, Jamie Winston has teamed up with their old work group from the Sons and gone into the private sector. As Milspec Ltd., they specialize in military engineering, ruggedization, survival infrastructure, and various related fields. Winston's own tendency to occasionally get blown up by or caught in the jaws of whatever they're researching has been thoroughly mitigated by an entire team of safety experts and other babysitters. Consequently, they are prepared to offer their expertise as consultants.

Legion of Geniuses: +5 to all Infrastructure, Research, and Military dice
Innovation Specialists: +5 to all Tech projects

No moratorium; feel free to begin voting immediately. I'll close this after a day or so, or if I see a decisive majority/plurality.

Last edited:
Back