Wyvern - Worm AU fanfic

Assuming this is still in January, Leviathan shows up in canon in the middle of May. He is an adult man, 4 months is not a particularly large amount of time in his career.
A lot of Worm fan fiction never get beyond Leviathan, so it can feel like the timespan is longer than it truly is.
And let's not also forget that Taylor has personally melted his halberd and F-bombed him so hard he went deaf.

He might have a few issues.

I definitely like the flow of this one better, @Ack. Armsmaster's line of thought fits him a lot better, and him noting the second call-in that Shadow Stalker was captured really helps sell what he's aiming at and why he's not really thinking about other sources for the fire.

He clearly had issues before she showed up.

Pretty much everyone on Earth Bet has Issues. Capes expand that into subscriptions.

He'd registered and logged the Code Purple, noting that Shadow Stalker was involved. He didn't know the Ward personally, having rarely worked with her, but he seemed to recall that she'd been a vigilante before entering the Wards on a provisional basis. Something about nearly murdering someone? He'd have to check the files when he had the chance.

This edit implies that he's not interacted with the Wards AT ALL. Which I guess is good considering his social skills, but it also means he had no part in Sophia's initial capture/impressment into the Wards, nor has considered countermeasures 'just in case' for her.

Which really makes no sense, because this is the guy who spends DAYS cramming that one extra thing in his gear for that <1% event possibility. Obviously this is fanon Halbeard, but him being this out of touch is unusual to see.

Doesn't make him any less of a dick though.

Last edited:
Piggot took the Wards from the Protectorate, so if that was before Sophia was conscripted, Armsmaster wouldn't have interacted with her much.

The thing about canon Colin is that he's very good in a crisis. But if he wasn't able to handle Imago and the E88, just like he failed to handle Lung and E88 in canon, he's seeing his chances of joining the Triumvirate slowly melt away, just like in canon. So he's feeling the same pressure to prove himself that led to claiming credit for Lung and then leading Leviathan through Kaiser.

Having read this over on fanfiction dot net before coming over here, I have to say this about Armsmaster: he's nuts if he thinks that this will in any way end with Taylor in the Wards and him getting the credit for getti g her into the Wards.
At best, I think he'll have his position as Protectorate Leader stripped from him.
At worst, a demotion and a transfer to another Protectorate/PRT district.

Pretty much everyone on Earth Bet has Issues. Capes expand that into subscriptions.

This edit implies that he's not interacted with the Wards AT ALL. Which I guess is good considering his social skills, but it also means he had no part in Sophia's initial capture/impressment into the Wards, nor has considered countermeasures 'just in case' for her.

Which really makes no sense, because this is the guy who spends DAYS cramming that one extra thing in his gear for that <1% event possibility. Obviously this is fanon Halbeard, but him being this out of touch is unusual to see.

Doesn't make him any less of a dick though.
Which really makes no sense, because this is the guy who spends DAYS cramming that one extra thing in his gear for that <1% event possibility.
Also fanon.

There's no indication that he's made up countermeasures Batman-style for any of the Wards or other Protectorate members. Why would he? They're superheroes too, just like him. (Besides, his halberd has a taser as far as I know).

But right now, as far as he's concerned, Sophia is aomebody else's problem. Because she can't help him kill an Endbringer.

Wow. Piggot will be also spitting fire when this one unfolds. How is the man that divorced from reality? We know he did a lot of rather stupid stuff in canon (incuding sabotaging the Leviathan fight and trying to kill people there) but this is earlier in his career before his inferiority complex unfolded so much! (On the upside, I bet this makes New Wave go active again. Brandish may be a not-great person, but she's not going to let her new member get poached like that for being a bystander!)
As a victim like Taylor, I can say that sometimes you get an authority who is prejudiced against you. They get it in their heads that you are actually the troublemaker, not the victim, you are just playing "poor persecuted me" with them. They will then misinterpret facts to fit their world view and find an excuse to punish you.
They are also the type that never admits to the person they punished that they were wrong or made a mistake and will not apologize for their attitude. They want to "prove" that the person isn't rally a victim and persecute them.

It was getting a nice strong signal, which was good. We wouldn't have been able to pull this off in Arcadia, with the Faraday cages around the buildings.
-Faraday cages are isolation, not damping. A signal from inside could still be picked up from instde. Wether or not Taylor knows or not is up to you.-
the melted globs of foam could easily give him third degree burns.
some nasty

Thomas Calvert leaned back in his comfortable office chair and indulged himself by steepling his fingertips just a little. He didn't go so far as a maniacal cackle; he had some standards, after all.
Then again...after a few moments he reconsidered. Calvert split off a timeline, then spent a full minute cackling like a madman before dismissing it. What was the point of being able to create throwaway timelines if you couldn't indulge yourself in them a little?

I get the idea is to have Armsmaster find Taylor looming over MM, looking like she's about to end her or whatever, but how Taylor is staying draked? Is she hyperfocusing on the possibility that Shadow Stalker is still around and the risk she could pose, after seeing her murder the troops?

I get the idea is to have Armsmaster find Taylor looming over MM, looking like she's about to end her or whatever, but how Taylor is staying draked? Is she hyperfocusing on the possibility that Shadow Stalker is still around and the risk she could pose, after seeing her murder the troops?
She doesn't need to be constantly stressed to stay in wyvern form, she just needs the stress for the change. She needs outright relaxation and safety for the change the other way, which I doubt is happening at the moment.

"The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault". Harry Dresden reference?
Absolutely. I kind of added it in at the last moment.
I thought it was a reference to the Dirty Pair (almost any episode).
Although that usually involved more explosions and property damage. The building having a small fire would be considered an improvement over the norm when they are involved.

-Faraday cages are isolation, not damping. A signal from inside could still be picked up from instde. Wether or not Taylor knows or not is up to you.-
some nasty
Taylor doesn't know.

And yes, definitely nasty.

Then again...after a few moments he reconsidered. Calvert split off a timeline, then spent a full minute cackling like a madman before dismissing it. What was the point of being able to create throwaway timelines if you couldn't indulge yourself in them a little?
... yeah, he'd probably do that. If he wasn't running another timeline for something else altogether.

She doesn't need to be constantly stressed to stay in wyvern form, she just needs the stress for the change. She needs outright relaxation and safety for the change the other way, which I doubt is happening at the moment.
Yeah. It's not a matter of, "Once the danger is over, I switch back". It's more "the switch is difficult either way".

Although that usually involved more explosions and property damage. The building having a small fire would be considered an improvement over the norm when they are involved.
I've read a lot more Dresden than Dirty Pair, so definitely the former rather than the latter.

The question has arisen in the SB thread for this story of how Armsmaster got promoted to his position with his issues. Since I can't answer there I'll express my opinion here; I think he's a pretty classic example of the "Peter Principle" in action.

The Peter Principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.
Armsmaster is a powerful Tinker and a skilled fighter, which got him promoted to a leadership position. But he's bad at leadership, especially past the purely tactical level. Armsmaster is great in the tech-support and front line roles, but really needs a minder to keep him in line; he's subordinate material, not leader material.

Plus, he's not all that self aware, and his pride makes it unlikely he'd even consider that he shouldn't be in his position anyway so it's an unaddressed flaw.

Can't be the Lovely Angels. The city is still intact. For that matter, the planet is still intact.

If this is how he normally operates, then the question becomes: How did he ever manage to become the leader of a Protectorate team if he is fundamentally incapable of handling more than one thing at a time when he gets focused on something?

Being a manager/leader is all about handling multiple things and multiple subordinates through the day/week/month/pay period.
My personal head-Canon is that Dickmaster has been an arse at his previous posting and the only way to get rid of him was to promote him out.
I believe that is called the Dilbert Principle. And I've seen it happen in RL.

And as @Avernus mentioned, the Peter Principle is another possibility.

Another thought for you: he knows other units are on their way before he started moving. which means he is quite likely to have an audience of PRT agents and possibly other protectorate heroes who already know what's actually happened when he tries his stunt, none of whom will support him. Not to mention additional police, firemen, ambulance crew, students, school staff, and any other civilians recording things.

Last edited:
*reads newest chapter*

Wow Colin, you are about to fuck up in a MAJOR way. Especially since there are eye witnesses that it was Sofiea Hess that went on a rampage and started the fire. Eye witnesses that include Miss Milita herself. Also ample evidence who went on the rampage.

*reads newest chapter*

Wow Colin, you are about to fuck up in a MAJOR way. Especially since there are eye witnesses that it was Sofiea Hess that went on a rampage and started the fire. Eye witnesses that include Miss Milita herself. Also ample evidence who went on the rampage.
being honest, the level of competence Armsmaster shows here rivals with his infamous canon level of humilty (pre levithan)

but i wonder: what will be the level of pissed pigot wll be?

He's the leader of the protectorate for an entire region. That does include the Wards, which are the Jr division. Yet he is unaware of how or why Sophia Hess had joined the Wards, or anything about her beyod "is a Ward, may have been violent" on account of not personally working with her?! That is not being a leader, that's proving that you can't lead. He should already be well aware of someone who was forced by court order into the Wards program in his city, not having to read the file (presumably for the first time) after she went rogue and killed several PRT troopers, tried to kill Miss Militia and police officers.

Shadow Stalker went rogue, attacking the PRT and got relabeled a villain at the place that's currently on fire? Gee, could those events possibly be related?

And what the hell does he think he's going to acomplish with this? He shows up and tries to arrest Wyvern without confirming just what the hell is going on, it's not going to make his career. New Wave are not going to happily agree that Wyvern needs to be in the Wards over this. They might however cheerfully decide that there needs to be a restraining order issued against Armsmaster.

As for Coil, wow is he arrogent. No backup timeline because it's a "win-win" situation? Oh, really? What happens when the the PRT starts to ask how Armsmaster knew the building was on fire before the Fire Department was called in? Let alone why he was automatically assuming a member of New Wave was the one burning the place down? A "mystery informant" that has information of events that havent actually happened yet? That's so damn suspicious that it's not funny. Which means that tip will get followed up on, especially since it's making a fool of someone with an ego as massive as Colin "Armsmaster" Wallis. And no Calvert, that 'tip' isn't as untracable as you think it is.

Back