Wyvern - Worm AU fanfic

Armsmaster is about find himself shat upon from a great height. Especially if his grand play allows Shadow Stalker to escape. Piggot will eat him WHILE HE'S STILL ARMORED without salt, and enjoy listening to his screams for mercy as she chews.

Roll a d20 for Armsmaster to take everything the wrong way?
If he fails the dc13 wis check (with a -2 modifier) then he also attacks Wyvern perhaps?

And the Idiot Ball is intercepted! Armsmaster has it at the 30, the 20, the 10!

HE! COULD! GO! ALL! THE! WAA.....

Seriously though, I call Coil shenanigans on this. Too much misinformation too conveniently. Bastard's probably chilling out with popcorn right now.

The only thing that breaks my suspension of disbelief is: how did Armsmaster NOT HEAR the Code: purple? that's a little far-fetched. with a system like the protectorate, any friendlies switching sides like that would be blared like an all point bulletin over the internal networks. the big red Holy Shit button if you would. A lot of things have to dramatically fail simultaneously for that not to work or even be plausible.

And the Idiot Ball is intercepted! Armsmaster has it at the 30, the 20, the 10!

HE! COULD! GO! ALL! THE! WAA.....

Seriously though, I call Coil shenanigans on this. Too much misinformation too conveniently. Bastard's probably chilling out with popcorn right now.

The only thing that breaks my suspension of disbelief is: how did Armsmaster NOT HEAR the Code: purple? that's a little far-fetched. with a system like the protectorate, any friendlies switching sides like that would be blared like an all point bulletin over the internal networks. the big red Holy Shit button if you would. A lot of things have to dramatically fail simultaneously for that not to work or even be plausible.
Oh, he's heard the code purple, but other people are responding to that. He doesn't care about a disgraced soon-to-be-ex-Ward.

Wyvern is in his sights. He's taking the shot.

Interesting. Armsmaster is obviously about to do something stupid. If he's really lucky, he'll just humiliate himself badly.

Incidentally, I found myself thinking that a better call sign for Shadow Stalker would be Shit-Storm. I know, I know, those words aren't actually in the call-sign alphabet. It would still be funnier.

Interesting. Armsmaster is obviously about to do something stupid. If he's really lucky, he'll just humiliate himself badly.

Incidentally, I found myself thinking that a better call sign for Shadow Stalker would be Shit-Storm. I know, I know, those words aren't actually in the call-sign alphabet. It would still be funnier.
It would certainly be apt, given how this is turning out.

Oh, he's heard the code purple, but other people are responding to that. He doesn't care about a disgraced soon-to-be-ex-Ward.

(Mental Facepalm)

Really? Okay Armsy, you do you. Enjoy your Touchdown Celebration....you're in the wrong end zone, but details, whatever.

I'll be at that bastard Coil's place watching this cluster bomb of stupidity on his probably stupidly nice HDTV.
(I'll punch him him in face and steal his beer first, because he's a dick.)

He does know where Shadow Stalker goes to school though, so the timing should honestly give him 2+2 = he's about to be moving in towards that "code purple".

I'm guessing you're going to set it up so he spots Wyvern and doesn't spot Miss Militia and Shadow Stalker, who are right there (and would be a rather big hint) - but it feels like it'd be a bit... contrived? Even if you time it with positioning that it looks like Wyvern is attacking Miss Militia.

I suppose we'll find out, I guess.

He does know where Shadow Stalker goes to school though, so the timing should honestly give him 2+2 = he's about to be moving in towards that "code purple".

I'm guessing you're going to set it up so he spots Wyvern and doesn't spot Miss Militia and Shadow Stalker, who are right there (and would be a rather big hint) - but it feels like it'd be a bit... contrived? Even if you time it with positioning that it looks like Wyvern is attacking Miss Militia.

The whole idea of forcing Wyvern to go back to Winslow was so that she'd lose it and give him grounds to impress her into the Wards.

The whole idea of forcing Wyvern to go back to Winslow was so that she'd lose it and give him grounds to impress her into the Wards.

And out her, of course.

This is a point - if Armsmaster has specifically been trying to out her and make her lose it, then his response is slightly less insane.

Slight less. He's still heading towards the location of a quadruple homicide (4 PRT troops killed) where Miss Militia is dying without medical treatment from the Shadow Stalker Code Purple she called in.

So.

Still absolutely insane and completely off the reservation.

He might know where Shadow Stalker goes to school. Armsy does tend to get over-focused from time to time.

Okay, minor spoilers? Coil set this up. Pulled strings to get Taylor shoehorned back into Winslow. Sent Armsmaster an anonymous message about how if he hears a call for the fire department for Winslow, it's Taylor going nuts there.

Armsmaster has sunk enough time and effort into recruiting Taylor (and been humiliated by her, and seen how powerful she can be) that he can't not respond to this.

If he can recruit her, and train her up to be powerful enough to help him take out an Endbringer, his reputation will be forever stellar. (So he thinks). [After all, she's already far more powerful than Dauntless ...]

Coil has set the whole thing up with the expectation that it will blow up in the PRT and Protectorate's faces. Make them look bad, just by pulling a few strings and pushing a few buttons.

Like other moustache twirlers, he likes win-win plans. PRT gets humiliated or Wyvern gets drafted so she'll later be under his command when he takes over.

Trust Armsmaster to screw up an already unpleasant situation. By the time he gets there, he will see the fire, a partially transformed Wyvern, an unconscious Shadow Stalker, and a bleeding an unconscious or nearly unconscious Miss Militia. Going in with the assumption that Taylor is at fault, he will jump to every wrong conclusions there is to be made. It appears that he will most likely be going home with slag instead of a halberd and power armor. Knowing him, his only complaint would be about how inefficient it will be to have to rebuild his armor and halberd. (Queue audience facepalm)

Coil has set the whole thing up with the expectation that it will blow up in the PRT and Protectorate's faces. Make them look bad, just by pulling a few strings and pushing a few buttons.
And he is absolutely right. If that works.

Sadly, it should go horribly right for him, because that kind of shitstorm would mean going over everything with a fine-toothed comb. Which might out his involvement (best if it outs his involvement as Calvert, not Coil... Wouldn't that be fun? :) )

Well, sadly for Coil and thus happy for literally everyone else...

Worst case scenario. He think that Wyvern is one, who killed troppers and wounded Miss Militia. So he will PERMANENTLY remove this dangerous parahuman, before she ramps. So... What reaction will be, when people learmns that wArd goes carrie. PRT killed parahuman bullied by that ward. And tells peple that all of this is Wyvern fault?

Worst case scenario. He think that Wyvern is one, who killed troppers and wounded Miss Militia. So he will PERMANENTLY remove this dangerous parahuman, before she ramps. So... What reaction will be, when people learmns that wArd goes carrie. PRT killed parahuman bullied by that ward. And tells peple that all of this is Wyvern fault?
He wants to recruit her, not execute her.

Also, she has no kill order. He wouldn't even try to go that far.

Trust Armsmaster to screw up an already unpleasant situation. By the time he gets there, he will see the fire, a partially transformed Wyvern, an unconscious Shadow Stalker, and a bleeding an unconscious or nearly unconscious Miss

There's still time for MM to pass on that Wyvern is peacefully onsite, was targeted by SS, and for that to be communicated to Armsmaster; he can pivot to securing Stalker and giving medical aid to MM without giving away his initial intention.

Last edited:

Of course, that's him ignoring that the "disgraced soon-to-be-ex-Ward" is a living example of why trying to force angry superpowered teenagers into the Wards is a bad idea. It was a demonstrably bad idea with Shadow Stalker, and it's a bad idea with Wyvern even if he was right about what's happening.

It's simply a bad idea all around.

Honestly I figured it was Coil already, he's the only person with the means and motive to pull this off in this particular way.

He might know where Shadow Stalker goes to school. Armsy does tend to get over-focused from time to time.

Okay, minor spoilers? Coil set this up. Pulled strings to get Taylor shoehorned back into Winslow. Sent Armsmaster an anonymous message about how if he hears a call for the fire department for Winslow, it's Taylor going nuts there.

Armsmaster has sunk enough time and effort into recruiting Taylor (and been humiliated by her, and seen how powerful she can be) that he can't not respond to this.

If he can recruit her, and train her up to be powerful enough to help him take out an Endbringer, his reputation will be forever stellar. (So he thinks). [After all, she's already far more powerful than Dauntless ...]

Yeah, I guessed he was at fault once the anonymous tip was mentioned - although it's a bit curious, thinking about it, that he's predicting a fire department call for Winslow. I suppose he was guessing it would be Taylor at fault, sooner or later (perhaps with some judicious prodding behind the scenes), rather than at this precise moment.

Thinking some more though, it's a bit odd that Armsmaster wouldn't catch on to something being fishy about that kind of tip though. How would the tipster know in advance?

Given that Miss Militia is there and knows the whole story, I'm guessing that the author is just setting Armsmaster up for egg on his face again and we aren't transitioning to "the PRT think Wyvern tried to burn down the school".

Back