Tome of the Orange Sky (Naruto/MGLN)

That was somewhat obvious, a rubber-like material between slats of wood forming what looked to be a junction between the front and rear of the structure. There were four lines of wheels that looked like they had their own ribbed rubber coatings, two axles in front of the junction and two behind it.

You made a bendy bus.

I've ridden on one often enough to spot it.

You made a Bendy Ninja Tour Bus.

while im entirely ignorant of the MGLN source materiel, I do believe that the Tome is an author created device.
chapter one had the device heavily damaged and looking to repair itself. the resulting device after the repairs is the tome we have now.

The original device the tome evolved out of... MAY have been a canon MGLN device, I kind of doubt it, the introductory chapter of this story put the origin device on the planet WAY long ago, and unless I miss my mark COMPLELY, would have been considered a "lost Logia" by the canon cast of Nanoha. its POSSIBLE that the original device was a canon compliant LL, but again I doubt it, its just easier on the author to make a new one.

(especially if the MGLN crossover becomes more than JUST the tome later on in the plot...)
The Tome of the Orange Sky is a sister work of the Tome of the Night Sky, the latter of which is canon. It's also very, very old by Nanoha standards.

Naruto is proving to be like a certain Potter over in Harry and the Shipgirls. If people say something is impossible, it just means a member of their bloodline hasn't tried it yet.

Naruto is proving to be like a certain Potter over in Harry and the Shipgirls. If people say something is impossible, it just means a member of their bloodline hasn't tried it yet.
Well, from what's been mentioned in passing, that habit was sort of the reason Whirlpool got dogpiled by the other Hidden Villages in the first place. (I still wonder if maybe the rumors that Naruto's been promoting are being chuckled over by a group of Whirlpool survivors who've done the whole hermit village schtick for real. They don't see a need to step out in the world, since Kushina's son is doing such an excellent job of carrying on the family traditions.)

There was time shinanigans involved with the last major War, remember. It's possible that there's mulitple hidden Hidden Villages for Whirlpool's survivors.

I saw in your other fic a warning if you don't like Taylor Varga, basically don't read this. Is it true for this fic as well?
I don't mind comedy, but constant gags and unmoving plot bother me.

You know, until I started frequenting forums, I'd never realised one simple thing; The phrase "violently agreeing with each other" makes perfect sense now.

I saw in your other fic a warning if you don't like Taylor Varga, basically don't read this. Is it true for this fic as well?
I don't mind comedy, but constant gags and unmoving plot bother me.
plot is in continuous flow here(because of the butterflies created by the introduction of the crossover element), even when the protagonist isn't directly effecting it.
not really sure about the line between gags and comedy, especially in Naruto where basically every top tier character has some strange quirk/coping mechanism
my advice is to just give it a fair shot, and drop it if you don't care for it.

plot is in continuous flow here(because of the butterflies created by the introduction of the crossover element), even when the protagonist isn't directly effecting it.
not really sure about the line between gags and comedy, especially in Naruto where basically every top tier character has some strange quirk/coping mechanism
my advice is to just give it a fair shot, and drop it if you don't care for it.
Basically I'm asking if it's crack like Varga. I think a line between original Naruto and fics like Varga is clear. I find comedy like everything else, needs moderation. Varga is non stop comedy that keeps getting more ridiculous. Heroes banter, great, godzilla cosplays as Darth Vader while dancing? Yeah, no.

Last edited:
Basically I'm asking if it's crack like Varga. I think a line between original Naruto naruto and fics like Varga is clear. I find comedy like everything else, needs moderation. Varga is non stop comedy that keeps getting more ridiculous. Heroes banter, great, godzilla cosplays as Darth Vader while dancing? Yeah, no.
Definitely not the same tone as Varga. A steady ramping of power and ability which onlookers don't usually comprehend, yes. Intentional gags on the part of the characters, no (beyond Naruto's usual prankster tendencies). Gags on the part of the author, not uncommon, but rarely in your face, rarely drawn attention to, and half the time it seems like an accident of logical progression. Much of the humor is from Naruto+team doing something and failing to realize how bullshit it looks to an outside perspective (which perspective is often provided).

This is a "Naruto gets help early on; (mostly) good consequences snowball from there" fic. It's a romp and a power spiral, but while humor is present humor is not the point and is not prominent. "a romp and a power spiral" Did you expect anything different from a shonen story?

In terms of pacing. 5k words a week every week for the past 10 months, 250k words in, and we're in the second chunin exam arc of the fic, Naruto and Hinata are being tested for jounin, and endgame forces have been moving for a good while. Oh, and many of the stations of canon got butterflied out of existence or happened almost unrecognizably.

Given the events thus far, it absolutely could have been written as crack with much the same plot.
The story takes itself much too seriously to be crack. Still fun though.

Given the events thus far, it absolutely could have been written as crack with much the same plot.
The story takes itself much too seriously to be crack. Still fun though.
On a related note, CmptrWz tends to write his stories more seriously than Mppi, with a tendency toward broadly muted protagonists rather than constantly snickering ones. The humor matches this tendency, being of a much more dry and unintentional variety across all of his stories. Intended pranks tend to have unintended positive consequences, and unintended pranks usually are intended positive consequences.

I think Jacen1's assumption is that the premise is that Tome of the Night Sky was one of a class of basically identical devices, not a unique artifact that this one is merely 'similar' to. That had also been my assumption.
More that invention is often an iterative process, so there should be somewhat similar precursors to any device as powerful and specialized as the canon Tome, and possibly later iterations with other capabilities. As such, at least at one point in time, there should have been other Tomes out there, even if each differed enough to qualify as unique devices.

The alternative is that the Tome of the Night's Sky is a VERY lucky prototype, in that most are less resistant or capable then finished production versions, and for some reason no others were ever made...

There was time shinanigans involved with the last major War, remember. It's possible that there's mulitple hidden Hidden Villages for Whirlpool's survivors.
At some point, someone is going to conclude that the 'reborn' Uzushio has hidden itself in the past and that is what caused the time shenanigans in the last war: It was the Uzumaki stashing their new village inside time itself, from the future.

Last edited:
More that invention is often an iterative process, so there should be somewhat similar precursors to any device as powerful and specialized as the canon Tome, and possibly later iterations with other capabilities. As such, at least at one point in time, there should have been other Tomes out there, even if each differed enough to qualify as unique devices.

The alternative is that the Tome of the Night's Sky is a VERY lucky prototype, in that most are less resistant or capable then finished production versions, and for some reason no others were ever made...

Reading this story I've been operating on the presumption that the Night Sky and the Orange Sky tomes were part of a larger run of Devices produced by the Belkan Empire with the Orange being an earlier model.

The Night Tome (and I tend to headcanon that the more correct spelling would be "Knight") was to be the pinnacle crown of the development but when it was completed it went right buggy and the attempt was made to dispose of the other Tomes before they too were corrupted.

While successful in destroying the other tomes, the Orange Tome instead fell to Naruto's world. It also lacked some critical additions to its repair programs that the Night Tome was outfitted with and caused that Tome to go bonkers, so there is no danger of a "Book of Darkness" incident here.

"Good morning," the new Hokage, Shisui Uchiha if A recalled correctly, greeted as he stepped out of the back of the mobile house.

For all the confusion that is a hallmark of your style, I don't buy this. There are only five kage. A would not be worthy of being a chunin if he couldn't name them all for certain, barring a change to the position in the last day or two, so "if A recalled correctly," simply doesn't work as a phrase here.

For all the confusion that is a hallmark of your style, I don't buy this. There are only five kage. A would not be worthy of being a chunin if he couldn't name them all for certain, barring a change to the position in the last day or two, so "if A recalled correctly," simply doesn't work as a phrase here.

The change over was recent. Thus it's believable that not everyone above genin rank in the other villages is aware of who the leader of Hidden Leaf is currently.

I have a question though. Is that particular Tome actually a part of MLGN lore, or is it an author-created device? I only ask as what I know of Nanoha is due almost entirely to fanfic and fanom-based osmosis. Really should watch the show at some point.
It's, as others have pointed out, based on MGLN lore, but is itself not present in MGLN canon.
You made a bendy bus.

I've ridden on one often enough to spot it.

You made a Bendy Ninja Tour Bus.
Bendy RV more than a bendy bus. :p
The Night Tome (and I tend to headcanon that the more correct spelling would be "Knight") was to be the pinnacle crown of the development but when it was completed it went right buggy and the attempt was made to dispose of the other Tomes before they too were corrupted.

While successful in destroying the other tomes, the Orange Tome instead fell to Naruto's world. It also lacked some critical additions to its repair programs that the Night Tome was outfitted with and caused that Tome to go bonkers, so there is no danger of a "Book of Darkness" incident here.
The original Tome of the Night Sky was perfectly fine. Up until someone messed with it to try to seal the Tome of the Purple Sky away, anyway. Only then did things get corrupted and the Book of Darkness come about.

...that there are two canon "Tome of the ___ Sky" devices hints at it being a larger series.
A likely spent the bulk of his shinobi career with the Hokage being Hiruzen Sarutobi, minus a few months where it was Minato Namikaze. "Hokage" and "Hiruzen Sarutobi" are likely very much connected in his normal thought processes because of that. Official duties generally referring to the position, and not the holder of it, means he doesn't need the current name as often either.

It's one thing to say "there are only five (major) Kage, so each of them should know the names of the other four" but another entirely to overcome decades of "the only (living) Hokage is named Hiruzen Sarutobi." Doubly so when most paperwork mentioning the Hokage likely literally refers to "the Hokage" as a position and not as a name.

It's one thing to say "there are only five (major) Kage, so each of them should know the names of the other four" but another entirely to overcome decades of "the only (living) Hokage is named Hiruzen Sarutobi." Doubly so when most paperwork mentioning the Hokage likely literally refers to "the Hokage" as a position and not as a name.
I should also point out that all the Raikages are named 'A' at some point. It implies that to the Raikage, a kage doesn't have an identity beyond being a kage. The Raikage might care about other kages' bloodline abilities or signature techniques, but their given names would be a lot less important.

Seen it stated in other Fanfics as well
Well, from what's been mentioned in passing, that habit was sort of the reason Whirlpool got dogpiled by the other Hidden Villages in the first place. (I still wonder if maybe the rumors that Naruto's been promoting are being chuckled over by a group of Whirlpool survivors who've done the whole hermit village schtick for real. They don't see a need to step out in the world, since Kushina's son is doing such an excellent job of carrying on the family traditions.)
yup
And I'm still wondering if the Madman\woman in a Box or some other Time-Traveler is the reason why all the Temporal Fuckery didn't result in everything unravelling
This is a "Naruto gets help early on; (mostly) good consequences snowball from there" fic. It's a romp and a power spiral, but while humor is present humor is not the point and is not prominent. "a romp and a power spiral" Did you expect anything different from a shonen story?
Seen a few BNHA\MHA Fanfics go that way
At some point, someone is going to conclude that the 'reborn' Uzushio has hidden itself in the past and that is what caused the time shenanigans in the last war: It was the Uzumaki stashing their new village inside time itself, from the future.
Okay, that statement makes me think that the Uzumaki had help from The Doctor Him\herself in their concealment plan
Bendy RV more than a bendy bus.
So like this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVl9mZjy2wQ
A likely spent the bulk of his shinobi career with the Hokage being Hiruzen Sarutobi, minus a few months where it was Minato Namikaze. "Hokage" and "Hiruzen Sarutobi" are likely very much connected in his normal thought processes because of that. Official duties generally referring to the position, and not the holder of it, means he doesn't need the current name as often either.

Makes sense
I should also point out that all the Raikages are named 'A' at some point. It implies that to the Raikage, a kage doesn't have an identity beyond being a kage. The Raikage might care about other kages' bloodline abilities or signature techniques, but their given names would be a lot less important.
Heard implications that it's a Father\Son thing, arguably like the 4th​ and 5th​ Kazekages and what might've been the case in some Universe where Minato and Kushina survived and raised Naruto to be the Unholy Mixture of the two of them A.K.A. knowing Shadow Clones, the Rasengan, and having a pretty good grasp of Fuinjutsu so that he can pull off the Hirashin and maybe unfuck the Hyuugas as the Bride-Price\Dowry\whatever for Hinata's hand in marriage

Heard implications that it's a Father\Son thing, arguably like the 4th and 5th Kazekages and what might've been the case in some Universe where Minato and Kushina survived and raised Naruto to be the Unholy Mixture of the two of them A.K.A. knowing Shadow Clones, the Rasengan, and having a pretty good grasp of Fuinjutsu so that he can pull off the Hirashin and maybe unfuck the Hyuugas as the Bride-Price\Dowry\whatever for Hinata's hand in marriage
Yeah, but here he's done all that already, except now he's fixed it so he hardly has to do any paperwork, because some other sucker got stuck with the Kage's desk.

Reading this story I've been operating on the presumption that the Night Sky and the Orange Sky tomes were part of a larger run of Devices produced by the Belkan Empire with the Orange being an earlier model.

Not much is known about the Tome of the Night Sky's origins, but there is some information.

When it was first created, it functioned as a benign storage medium for magical spells.

However, at some point later, some unknown mages fucked with the Tome of the Night Sky in order to use it as a prison to seal away the Tome of the Purple Sky and its lord Yuri Eberwein. While they succeeded in this, turning both the Tome of the Purple Sky and Yuri herself into subroutines of the Book of the Night Sky, but in doing so they broke the Book's security protocols and also accidentally turned Yuri into a multi-part entity that would come to be known as Unbreakable Dark.

Unbreakable Dark claims to be the actual reason why the Tome of the Night Sky was renamed the Book of Darkness; as after the mages fucked up the Tome it became the prison of Unbreakable Dark, and Unbreakable Dark claims that it was her rampaging energies that were the true cause of the Tome's security protocols going haywire. However in one of the movies it is revealed that after Yuri was sealed in the Book of Darkness, she actually took on the role of preventing NachtWal, the Book's corrupted Defense Program, from running rogue; as according to this version of the story Yuri had been created by an archaeologist with 'full knowledge of Ancient Belka' as a Guardian System to control and restrain NachtWal.

Which of these two versions is the truth (or perhaps, both are) is unclear.

Incidentally, the reason why Yuri didn't show up during the Book of Darkness Incident is because the page containing her subroutine had somehow gotten removed from the Book and cast into the Dimensional Sea, where it crystallized, so by the time of the Book of Darkness Incident she was no longer in the Book and thus unable to restrain NachtWal.

All of that said, we can conclude from the existence of the Tome of the Purple Sky that multiple Tome of the X Sky Devices were indeed created. As such the Tome of the Orange Sky is 100% canon compliant.

e:
Okay, that statement makes me think that the Uzumaki had help from The Doctor Him\herself in their concealment plan
Or maybe it's the other way around; the Time Lords did acquire the power of Regeneration from the Timeless Child rather than creating it themselves after all, perhaps they got their technology from the Uzumaki.

Last edited:
Or maybe it's the other way around; the Time Lords did acquire the power of Regeneration from the Timeless Child rather than creating it themselves after all, perhaps they got their technology from the Uzumaki.
And maybe the reason why The Doctor keeps getting disappointed that he isn't a Redhead whenever he Regenerates is because he was originally a Uzumaki a Long-Ass way back

It's the same for anyone looking at the Tsuchikage. Onoki has been Kage uninterrupted, unlike Hiruzen, for the last 45-50 years at this point.

Back