Tome of the Orange Sky (Naruto/MGLN)

Wait... your teenage ninja got splashed with a formula and mutated into turtles? I sense hijinks.

<edit> And I was ninja'd in turn. How... appropriate.

Presumably forensics can tell that, but do you want to use a sabotage based MO when you just finished establishing the team as artillery in kumo, which you just left?
Forensics can probably tell you that the seals overloaded, but probably can't tell the difference between "Uzumaki Sabotage", and "Missing-nin are incompetent at sealing"… Or, depending on the sabotage used, just "wall was hit with more force than the seal could safely absorb".

"...who the hell reads that on what sounds like a simple mission?"

"Anyone who wants to be sure that it is a simple mission," Kiba retorted.
This was a sick burn on Kiba's part and I'm pretty sure Hayate is going to be feeling it for a while as he's really supposed to know better as a Jonin. Other than that, great chapter as always and I look forward to Yoko becoming her own person.

They need to a) breathe fire and b) fly. Anything else is unacceptable.
Within this story, Gai and Lee being Gamera-Nin is the only acceptable outcome
Considering that both things are already being taught in the village........
It's happening, and while not in the preferable way, We're gonna get Gamera-Nin
And Rock Lee is naturally a Teenage Turtle Mutant Ninja
Yup

Of course, they're also still trying to recover their speed. They're a lot harder to hurt, but don't like that their lap times more than doubled overnight.
Considering how important speed is to a ninja, this has to had hit them pretty hard.
IIRC, part of the reason why turtles/tortoises are so slow, is because evolution itself never required them to be fast.

Herbivores so they never had to chase their food – and in the case of omnivorous breeds, if the prey does escape, they seldom bother giving chase – plus their shells (and ability to retract their limbs) made them armored enough to not need to run away from predators.

Plus, their physiology is very much not designed for speed – they have to plant one front and one hind leg as anchors, while lifting the other two stubby little limbs fully off the ground in order to take a single step. Incredibly dense muscles, as a direct result, however that same muscle density is also significantly taxing on their (highly limited, due to their slow metabolisms) energy reserves.

Honestly, probably the best solution for Gai and Lee right now, would be for Naruto to give them each a seal that boosts their metabolisms – bring it back up to human-standard, so that they have the energy to lug around all that extra natural weight.

Or... they just take off the excessively heavy training weights they always wear on their legs.
Why would you announce such an unyouthful suggestion? The decrease in speed from the transformation is merely another challenge, another step on the path, another log on the bonfire that is their FLAMES OF YOUTH. *sunset-of-youth genjutsu in the distance"

Why would you announce such an unyouthful suggestion? The decrease in speed from the transformation is merely another challenge, another step on the path, another log on the bonfire that is their FLAMES OF YOUTH. *sunset-of-youth genjutsu in the distance"

Which is better... asking for a highly experimental seal that probably doesn't exist and that could do irreparable harm, or taking off the leg weights that crater the ground if dropped from waist height?

I swear there were comments here before I refreshed the page...
Someone decided a joke was too stupid to leave visible.
Presumably forensics can tell that, but do you want to use a sabotage based MO when you just finished establishing the team as artillery in kumo, which you just left?
...forensics? By whom? They're in the Land of Fire and the building was openly demolished by Konoha shinobi at the Daimyo's request. Who the hell is going to be digging the rubble out of the sinkhole to figure out if there was more to the destruction than the obvious?

Especially when the shinobi looted the place ahead of time, so there isn't even anything valuable to grab. :V
Perhaps she forgot that this is his resting chakra level after spamming a couple dozen (or couple hundred maybe) shadow clones and each of those has at least enough chakra on their own to rank mid-level genin?
Unless I misunderstood and you can still refill up to max after using the shadow clone jutsu?
He refills to max more quickly than he has any right to. As does Hinata.
I expected this to go a different direction when I started the paragraph, with Naruto wanting to hide how strong he is a little less if Tsunade didn't already find him frankly terrifying, at least in the long run. He's already getting effective years of training for every day that passes, after all, so the gap in skill between him and Tsunade is shrinking rapidly.
...this is a Naruto who had his arm torn off by A recently. Yes, he's a terrifying opponent...but he isn't actually top-tier bullshit strong yet.

Which says something about what "top-tier bullshit strong" means in the Naruto setting.
Really? Ninja Turtles? Do they develop a fondness for pizza?
There's japanese, essentially.

So if anything, shouldn't that be a fondness for okonomiyaki? :p
Honestly, probably the best solution for Gai and Lee right now, would be for Naruto to give them each a seal that boosts their metabolisms – bring it back up to human-standard, so that they have the energy to lug around all that extra natural weight.
This assumes that their metabolisms were affected at all, compared to their problems being almost entirely connected to having a heavy and inflexible shell now.
Or, in case Naruto is present in the mission, to not get blindsided by the tendency of Naruto's missions to jump ranks midway.
All out of village missions have a tendency to randomly jump ranks midway. Reading the paperwork tells you if there's any hint of why known in advance, but random high-level missing nin sometimes run into teams without any justification beyond "happened to be in the same area".

What's next, flying carpets? Extracting the screams of children for energy?
A Greek Demigod

Counterpoint -> Pizza Gyoza
All out of village missions have a tendency to randomly jump ranks midway. Reading the paperwork tells you if there's any hint of why known in advance, but random high-level missing nin sometimes run into teams without any justification beyond "happened to be in the same area".
Swear there was this one Fanfic I've read where C-Ranks are called Curse-Ranks

...this is a Naruto who had his arm torn off by A recently. Yes, he's a terrifying opponent...but he isn't actually top-tier bullshit strong yet.

Which says something about what "top-tier bullshit strong" means in the Naruto setting.
I think he probably actually is top-tier bullshit strong...in his actual specialty. Which isn't dueling. In recon infiltration alone his accomplishments are mistaken as having taken an entire village intelligence department working for an extended period, and to have been terrifyingly effective under that assumption. He treats 95% or so of a ninja village's security like it's a single security camera that is already unplugged.

It was more that Tsuande didn't think he was going to be a monster from what they already knew about him before his most recent developmental revelations, not that he was a monster right now. Then again, does she know about the Tome and all of the actual stuff going on with Naruto. I'm fairly certain I remember Hiruzen, Jiraiya, and Shisui coming up as knowing, but don't recall whether Tsunade was included, given how small a number they're letting know much of anything about what's really going on.

Pizza is fairly popular in Japan, they just use different toppings. I've considered making one with some things like corn that I can see liking, though a lot of the toppings they like have no place on my list of even tolerable flavors, much less desired ones. I do get the joke, but the kinds of topping the TMNTs like on their pizzas, on top of their martial arts, suggests they may have been Japanese from the beginning, just picking up a different accent.

Oh, also, Naruto alone is probably second only to the Tome crew (which most people don't know is distinct from him) for bullshit-tier, world-changing seals.

I think I remember the curse of the first C-rank mission for a team playing a role in most Naruto fics by TheBeardedOne.

I forget the name of one, but it had team 7 all being essentially cursed to have interesting lives. Sasuke wound up stuck in Konoha for a while, only doing missions, patrols, etc. inside the walls. Every other ninja in town fought to keep him as far away from them as they could manage. Working as a gate guard, they found three saboteurs, a couple of spies, had some civilians break into a fight as they were signing in.... all in one day. Sasuke, naturally, thinks they're crazy to think he's cursed, as that all seems perfectly normal to him.

Another fic I recall had the central character deliver a set of mission documents to the mission desk to be scheduled/given out, and they bemoan that she's cursed the entire pile by touching it. The curse of missions going bad can be played for comedy, drama, implied that it's only the bad ones that get chosen to write about, and more. A number of fics have the first C rank always go horribly wrong for the majority of teams, but I can't recall one where all C-ranks were considered cursed. Now I want to read that....

Back