The Life of a Half-Saiyan (Thread1) (DBZ)

I can only hope to truly convey Gossard's reaction both accurately and poetically. The sheer breadth and depth of the reaction shall truly be my most challenging piece of writing.

Hopefully Gohan is gonna be strong enough to resist Gossard's attempt to make him stop :p

Then again why would a side character get any say in what the MC does :p

Last edited:
[X] I Reject this outcome, I want a thrilling Fight Scene and I will GET ONE dammit!

I don't think I like orange anymore :(

Last edited:
Gossard: Gohan! THE FUCK!

Seems to be the most eloquent speech Gossard can produce at such a moment.

You watch with abject horror as a physical duplicate of your own body contorts in humiliating ways. You hear a needle-scratch somewhere as the universe itself rebels against such...such...
"Do you like it Gossard?" The mentally unstable Half-Saiyan asks as you privately wonder if perhaps he was adopted, from another Saiyan/Human marriage perhaps.
"Gohan..." you force the words out, your mind's eye unwillingly replaying those...those...Poses again and again "The Fuck?!?!"

You watch with abject horror as a physical duplicate of your own body contorts in humiliating ways. You hear a needle-scratch somewhere as the universe itself rebels against such...such...
"Do you like it Gossard?" The mentally unstable Half-Saiyan asks as you privately wonder if perhaps he was adopted, from another Saiyan/Human marriage perhaps.
"Gohan..." you force the words out, your mind's eye unwillingly replaying those...those...Poses again and again "The Fuck?!?!"
Gossard: You're doing it all wrong, this is how you pose.

Jokes on all of you! Gossard joins in and becomes a supervillain with plans of conquering the world! He'll be the greatest adversary Gohan The Great Saiyaman will ever have.

Last edited:
Well while we're usagi tier.

[X]Reject all the negative shit of our mistakes and Kami's. Reject Kami's death and the fact that rejecting that mean Piccolo aint super. Reject the loss of knowledge of martial arts due to king piccolo. Reject any damage due to wish energy. Reject the effects of Garlics Wish on everybody.

[X] I Reject this outcome, I want a thrilling Fight Scene and I will GET ONE dammit!

It also, like all of the latter works, completely ignores the fact that going off their stated feats and power, Gohan is practically Omnipotent and Omnipresent. I mean, HOW THE HELL IS GOHAN EVER LATE!

Well, if I'm talking about the series from an analytical standpoint rather than from the perspective of a system to be used in a Quest format, the basic truth is that power consistency isn't really important to Dragon Ball.

I mean, it's important for there to be Threats, and those Threats have to be Bigger Than Anything We've Faced Before, but the series (until Battle of the Gods, anyway) had no particular inclination to increase the scale of the fights substantially after Frieza. Dragonball Z is fundamentally a martial-arts manga; drifting into the realm of galaxy-spanning energy beams, laser attacks and combat involving celestial bodies reduces the close-up grit of the fights, makes them feel less personal and the characters, by extension, less grounded.

Power levels are completely meaningless; in reality, characters are sorted into the categories of "Comic Relief", "Non-Comic Relief Unexceptional", "Exceptional Side-characters", and "Main or Temporary
Main Character". Villains are sorted into similar categories, which tend to be a half-step above their heroic counterparts. In any given scene, the abilities and skills of the highest-categorized character present will always be Enough for the situation. They will be able to accomplish whatever task is necessary, and will almost certainly shock everybody from a lower category while doing so-- and then, maybe, be comically undercut so the audience doesn't find them unrelatable.

Which, of course, is why Gohan is always late. It doesn't matter how fast he can 'actually' fly, the important fact is he can fly there in some impressively low amount of time (a 5-hour drive distance in 10 minutes, if I recall correctly), while still being able to slip up and show a vulnerability. It's also why he can sense enemies and react to bullets fired at him, but be surprised by Videl hiding behind a locker. His strength is a conceit dictated by the plot; his strength is always "enough" to solve the current problem (because he's been established as Powerful already and is categorized accordingly as a Main Character), but not so much that it completely ungrounds him, or comes without caveats.

That said, the IC explanation of "he didn't train because it's peacetime and Gohan doesn't enjoy fighting" is logical enough. Despite their feats, DBZ characters fundamentally get their powers from fictionally exaggerated Martial Arts, and you can only keep your peak performance in real world Martial Arts through constant practice and conditioning. Slack on that for even a few years, and you'll lose a shocking amount of the ability.

Personally, I'd have liked it if Gohan actually became the main character like they were hinting all through the end of the Cell arc and beginning of the Buu one, but that was more to do with reader's obsession with Goku as the series' iconic protagonist than anything to do with Gohan himself.

Last edited:
Well while we're usagi tier.

[X]
1. Reject all the negative shit of our mistakes and Kami's.
2. Reject Kami's death and the fact that rejecting that mean Piccolo aint super.
3. Reject the loss of knowledge of martial arts due to king piccolo.
4. Reject any damage due to wish energy.
5. Reject the effects of Garlics Wish on everybody.

1. You uh, kind of need specifics for that.
2. Legit but Why? Also who is Kami, you clearly arent referring to Gottex.
3. I guess you mean 'retcon in an extra action studying Demon King'? A bit too large a scale right now.
4. Thats a bit beyond you, rejecting Wish energy is something Gods have struggled with for millenia.
5. The wish is basically null anyway, but you can't do it for others or yourself outside the form. Your Potential is back to full if you don't redo the fight, same as everyone elses.

1. You uh, kind of need specifics for that.
2. Legit but Why? Also who is Kami, you clearly arent referring to Gottex.
3. I guess you mean 'retcon in an extra action studying Demon King'? A bit too large a scale right now.
4. Thats a bit beyond you, rejecting Wish energy is something Gods have struggled with for millenia.
5. The wish is basically null anyway, but you can't do it for others or yourself outside the form. Your Potential is back to full if you don't redo the fight, same as everyone elses.
1. Is a header.
2. So that we get Super Namek piccolo and a orange star ball tender but okay. No. Wait. Kami is the Guardian before Gottex that Piccolo ate and was magic doctor on you and would Teach Gottex while you study with Piccolo. He's fouth wall brreaking so he can read this.
3. No. I mean recreate the schools demon king Piccolo wiped out while Kami was not kicking his ass. By Possibly undeadifying the students.
4. Can we move it to another planet?
5. So everyone on the planet is fixed? We don't need to make a wish on venus?

Well, if I'm talking about the series from an analytical standpoint rather than from the perspective of a system to be used in a Quest format, the basic truth is that power consistency isn't really important to Dragon Ball.

I mean, it's important for there to be Threats, and those Threats have to be Bigger Than Anything We've Faced Before, but the series (until Battle of the Gods, anyway) had no particular inclination to increase the scale of the fights substantially after Frieza. Dragonball Z is fundamentally a martial-arts manga; drifting into the realm of galaxy-spanning energy beams, laser attacks and combat involving celestial bodies reduces the close-up grit of the fights, makes them feel less personal and the characters, by extension, less grounded.

Power levels are completely meaningless; in reality, characters are sorted into the categories of "Comic Relief", "Non-Comic Relief Unexceptional", "Exceptional Side-characters", and "Main or Temporary
Main Character". Villains are sorted into similar categories, which tend to be a half-step above their heroic counterparts. In any given scene, the abilities and skills of the highest-categorized character present will always be Enough for the situation. They will be able to accomplish whatever task is necessary, and will almost certainly shock everybody from a lower category while doing so-- and then, maybe, be comically undercut so the audience doesn't find them unrelatable.

Which, of course, is why Gohan is always late. It doesn't matter how fast he can 'actually' fly, the important fact is he can fly there in some impressively low amount of time (a 5-hour drive distance in 10 minutes, if I recall correctly), while still being able to slip up and show a vulnerability. It's also why he can sense enemies and react to bullets fired at him, but be surprised by Videl hiding behind a locker. His strength is a conceit dictated by the plot; his strength is always "enough" to solve the current problem (because he's been established as Powerful already and is categorized accordingly as a Main Character), but not so much that it completely ungrounds him, or comes without caveats.

That said, the IC explanation of "he didn't train because it's peacetime and Gohan doesn't enjoy fighting" is logical enough. Despite their feats, DBZ characters fundamentally get their powers from fictionally exaggerated Martial Arts, and you can only keep your peak performance in real world Martial Arts through constant practice and conditioning. Slack on that for even a few years, and you'll lose a shocking amount of the ability.

Personally, I'd have liked it if Gohan actually became the main character like they were hinting all through the end of the Cell arc and beginning of the Buu one, but that was more to do with reader's obsession with Goku as the series' iconic protagonist than anything to do with Gohan himself.

for me, the biggest let down was the way they handled their own story telling:

as a young teen watching DBZ i found myself following gohan the most out of the z fighters. he may not have wanted to become a fighter, and he may have whined a whole lot about it, but at the end of the day, he persevered. he went through brutal training, starved isolation, drawn out battles and eventually toppled mighty villains - despite no love for battle. watching gohan's journey was truly an experience. he went from terrified weakling to the most powerful individual on earth; not because he wanted to, or because he loved fighting - but because he needed to, in order to protect others. his transformation into a warrior symbolises mankind's ability to overcome obstacles in order to protect your friend/family/loved ones. to strive against the impossible because of whats right. throughout the series, gohan transformed into someone with unbend-able will and the ability to make a difference for what he believed. after cell he was no longer afraid of himself or the dangers of the world; he had accepted the fact that he must fight for what he believes in so that his loved ones can stay safe. he had accepted the need to persevere in the face of discomfort in order to grasp your own dreams - the safety of innocents, in gohan's case. i admired him for his determination and bravery, due to this. at the end of the cell saga, i thought he had made it - that he had gained status as earths protector in goku's stead, training so that he can protect his dreams next time evil arrives. i thought he'd accepted full responsibility, completing the transformation.

instead, they throw it all out the window and go; gohan didn't gain anything from his experiences - he still is a whiny kid who wats to avoid training. what a giant kick to the nuts, man. it basically told me: do what you want, and if the going gets to tough, give up! i followed gohans story for the struggle to overcome odds and do what you dislike in order to achieve your ideals. this was very similar to the battle against depression i was going through; get up in the morning and go to college despite how much you want to lie down and die, in order to achieve success and carry out your ideals. i dont't care about goku and vegeta who love to fight and require no perseverance to complete training.

gohan hated his trials, but struggled to complete them anyway, and that is why i loved him. seeing his values desecrated so much in the buu saga was a death blow, sapping a lot of motivation in life. it said; gohan wasn't really fighting for his beliefs that whole time - he was fighting because he was forced to. this was the opposite of what i envisioned, and was heartbreaking to discover. it told me; you shouldn't overcome any hardships at all - take the easy way out and put in no effort unless you are forced to by someone else.

maybe gohan wanted to to be a scholar, and that's okay. but to give up training entirely? is that all gohan's journey adds up to? giving up when the going gets tough? should i give up when the going gets tough? basically, gohan was my role model during my early teens, so to see his character wrecked so utterly? i hated it.

[X] GOTTEX! Go check up on her

Now that was pretty damn amusing and I loved the reactions to the 4th Wall breaking.

Last edited:
he kinda forgot how to transform.
Bringer of Death, a fanfic where Vageta goes Super Saiyan first, brings that up. It's not so much forgetting how as much as it is forgetting how to control it. That fic has Final Form Cold be higher that canon Final Form Cell... But has such massive control issues that outright exploding is what would happen with a split second loss of control...
2) Gero is kind of bullshithaxxor
Actually, Gero built the computer that made Cell. Said computer was made solely for the purpose of making Cell. Gero's bullshithaxxor is in robots and cyborgs, rather than messing with fleshy stuff directly.

Bringer of Death, a fanfic where Vageta goes Super Saiyan first, brings that up. It's not so much forgetting how as much as it is forgetting how to control it. That fic has Final Form Cold be higher that canon Final Form Cell... But has such massive control issues that outright exploding is what would happen with a split second loss of control...

Actually, Gero built the computer that made Cell. Said computer was made solely for the purpose of making Cell. Gero's bullshithaxxor is in robots and cyborgs, rather than messing with fleshy stuff directly.

He made Cyborgs. Both the later series (17/18) and earlier (Red Ribbon Army PL* is much greater than should be possible without either the Crane or Turtle style martial artist training)
I have expanded his scope to all Humanoid style things. Be they Gengineered beasts like Cell, Enhanced Humans like 18 or true Androids like 16.

Also I kind of need it for my plans to work...

*PL that isn't called out as undetectable, though I'm not sure if Ki Sensing was a thing yet, it might have been just after this? The DK Piccolo Saga.
It's clearly before Gero invents his Artificial Ki though

Last edited:
Well, that was surprising.

I didn't expect my OPM jokes would end up with this outcome. However, even Saitama had interesting battles (once in a blue moon), so I demand a second round.

This update felt too much like a crack omake though I like Orange being tripping balls reality warping me likey:grin::D

Last edited:
[x] I Reject this outcome, I want a thrilling Fight Scene and I will GET ONE dammit!

If nothing else, we know that going Orange can make us a 4th wall breaking reality warper... Which will be helpful if we get in a situation where we simply don't have enough power, so making the world into what Gossard wants is the best way to go. I specify Gossard and not us, because we seem to have only limited control over him at the moment...

Back