The Life and Times of a Half Saiyan King (Thread2)

Eh, your Bubblebeam is actually pretty good as a technique. You are Going to hit at least some of those.
It's a Homing Macrosse Missile Massacre.

Ultra Instinct is a technique that improves your battle prowess within your tier. Ultra Instinct Frieza would get bodied by Buu just as easily.
It is pure martial arts skill, but each individual action isn't stronger than someone without the skill.
Beerus would simply wipe you out with his "I'm a God of Destruction, Destroy."

Ah, guess your right and I'm overestimating Ultra Instinct's usage, silly me.

Also I didn't realize the bubble beam was that good so early....but I'm glad actually :)

Mwahahahaha

Says the guy eagerly reading about an edgy (mentally ~ten) child trying his hardest to be cool.
The arrogant conquer angle from the kid who's able to blow up the planet, kill and eat anyone who gets in his way, and is a literal Legend Made Manifest is cool and actually entertaining.

His twin brother wanting to be Superman or a Yellow Lantern is fucking pathetic.

Ah, guess your right and I'm overestimating Ultra Instinct's usage, silly me.

Also I didn't realize the bubble beam was that good so early....but I'm glad actually :)

Ultra Instinct is still an amazing tiebreaker and method of demolishing peer opponents but it's not the strongest thing in Beerus' arsenal and not very good against stronger opponents like transforming is.

It's a Kamehameha that locks onto the target amped by Green Ki.
Actually it's better than a homing beam because it bursts into a lot of individual seekers, hemming the opponent in and forcing them to take at least some damage.
You got that with a couple crits.

The arrogant conquer angle from the kid who's able to blow up the planet, kill and eat anyone who gets in his way, and is a literal Legend Made Manifest is cool and actually entertaining.

His twin brother wanting to be Superman or a Yellow Lantern is fucking pathetic.

Yellow Lanterns are the bad guys.
And Gohan can actually pull a reasonable Superman impression.
Eyebeams, super strength, super speed, flight, enhanced intellect, other forms of sight, giant 'fuck this' bomb centered around himself.
He just needs to figure out cold breath and learn how to be a reporter. Oh, and a space metal to pretend to be affected by.

Actually it's better than a homing beam because it bursts into a lot of individual seekers, hemming the opponent in and forcing them to take at least some damage.
So it's a Kamehameha-green ki version of the ki blast spam vegeta does....only actually effective?

Yay.

Also the new system is almost done. For real this time, not gonna get nearly done and get distracted with a new shiny system...again...

Basically an XP pool system, so Omake would generally get XP for the pool.
So does that mean cool perks like Watcher and Copycat are no longer a thing?
So it's a Kamehameha-green ki version of the ki blast spam vegeta does....only actually effective?
Yeah, it's like a SUPER version of Light Grenade.

Ultra Instinct is still an amazing tiebreaker and method of demolishing peer opponents but it's not the strongest thing in Beerus' arsenal and not very good against stronger opponents like transforming is.

Yellow Lanterns are the bad guys.
And Gohan can actually pull a reasonable Superman impression.
Eyebeams, super strength, super speed, flight, enhanced intellect, other forms of sight, giant 'fuck this' bomb centered around himself.
He just needs to figure out cold breath and learn how to be a reporter. Oh, and a space metal to pretend to be affected by.
Doesn't change the fact that it's retarded. I'm not going to budge on the fact that Teen Gohan and his superhero obsession was the single greatest piece of character assassination that Toriyama ever wrote. I disperse the entire idea and I'm honestly disappointed that you actually like the idea.

Mwahahahaha

Says the guy eagerly reading about an edgy (mentally ~ten) child trying his hardest to be cool.
Gossard is that special kind of chaotic evil monster we all love. Like Dark Schindler from Bastard!!!! Or Kharn if he did mystical super powered Ki martial arts. Now that I think about it though what would be Khorne's opinion on Dragon Ball martial arts?

Doesn't change the fact that it's retarded. I'm not going to budge on the fact that Teen Gohan and his superhero obsession was the single greatest piece of character assassination that Toriyama ever wrote. I disperse the entire idea and I'm honestly disappointed that you actually like the idea.
A number of people in this thread like it, so if you dislike the idea that much, you might want to stop reading. I also find it rather darn amusing, and actually hope Gohan can drag Gossard into it somehow. Gossard being the super edgy Super Hero, to Gohans Super Optimistic one. Perhaps Super Edgy Batman to Golden Age Superman.

Kind of?
Basically you do a normal Kamehameha but with Green Ki. Remember Ki begins to lose power at a faster and faster rate after being released but Green Ki increases at a static rate on top of that so it curves up then down into the negative.
But you also tie the Ki into your opponents Ki signature, so it homes towards them. Each individual aspect takes its own path to hit the opponent and since they are all thinking and capable of working together can hem the opponent in.

Vegeta's barrage lacks any homing capability and is made of short blasts. The Bubblebeam take the best part of that (quantity) and adds the best part of a Beam (quality/Chargetime)

So does that mean cool perks like Watcher and Copycat are no longer a thing?

Yeah, it's like a SUPER version of Light Grenade.

They are a thing, just remade. In order to invest XP into a technique, stat or skill you need to have a Training Session.
A Training Session will let you invest (TotalXPtoLevel / requiredSessions) worth of XP into it.
For example (numbers subject to change) if you want to tame the Oozaru form you need 60XP and 2 Training Sessions. If you train Oozaru you can invest up to 30XP. If you train twice you are not taming the Oozaru yet you still need to invest 60XP.
In a turn you have a number of slots that can be used to either generate more XP than your base rate, do training sessions or train your Power Level.

Watcher generates XP and immediately invests it into a skill you Train in, if you have a Teacher for that skill.
Copycat generates Training Sessions for martial arts you fight against.

LEGENDARY but sure.

The execution in DBZ sucked.
Mostly because it made no sense that Gohan would both not train AND become a Superhero.
If Gohan kept up his training and became Saiyaman and was simply a lovable dork trying his best to help people I'd have no problems with that aspect of the Buu era.

They are a thing, just remade. In order to invest XP into a technique, stat or skill you need to have a Training Session.
A Training Session will let you invest (TotalXPtoLevel / requiredSessions) worth of XP into it.
For example (numbers subject to change) if you want to tame the Oozaru form you need 60XP and 2 Training Sessions. If you train Oozaru you can invest up to 30XP. If you train twice you are not taming the Oozaru yet you still need to invest 60XP.
In a turn you have a number of slots that can be used to either generate more XP than your base rate, do training sessions or train your Power Level.

Watcher generates XP and immediately invests it into a skill you Train in, if you have a Teacher for that skill.
Copycat generates Training Sessions for martial arts you fight against.

LEGENDARY but sure.
So, besides things like Copycat, training inherently takes a number of slots to take and even if you got a TON of XP to spend, you can't learn it any faster than you can do those slots.
Are Crits still a thing? Like, if you Crit, could 1 training session count as 2 or some such?
Will PL, and how Martial Arts effect it, stay the same?

The execution in DBZ sucked.
Mostly because it made no sense that Gohan would both not train AND become a Superhero.
If Gohan kept up his training and became Saiyaman and was simply a lovable dork trying his best to help people I'd have no problems with that aspect of the Buu era.

I agree.

The problem i found with buu-saga Gohan is that his entire character boiled down to laziness and silliness. Silliness by itself is fine, as long as the character is still respectable outside of that area. Toriyama however, decided that he would make Gohan both a fucking slacker and the Great Saiyaman at the same time, completely removing any respect i still had for him - And this was particularly disappointing since Gohan was my teenage idol at the time.

Had Gohan stayed badass and useful outside of his saiyaman routine, i likely would've loved it. However, Gohan abandoned any form of self respect once he gave up on the one thing that could possibly protect the human race; His training.

I'll never forget what they did to my childhood role-model, erasing 100+ episodes worth of character development and lessons on life and morality; Make sacrifices when you need to, grow into something respectable and make sacrifices for the greater good. Kids shouldn't be taught to give up on something on a whim, ignoring their responsibilities when said responsibilities have been established as protecting people's very lives.

Sure, it's also important to be personally happy, but sweet christ, they didn't have to butcher his established character in order to allow for this. To end this overly long rant, please make sure that the rest of Gohan is serious as fuck and actually relevant outside of his Great Saiyaman persona.

For the love of god, establish this Gohan as somebody worth respecting, even into his adulthood. I'm pretty sure your Gohan is the only one fleshed out enough to rival the original in relevance, and is therefore my only hope at rectifying his shattered image. I need my childhood hero back man, his violated corpse has been rotting away in my brain for years now...

So, besides things like Copycat, training inherently takes a number of slots to take and even if you got a TON of XP to spend, you can't learn it any faster than you can do those slots.
Are Crits still a thing? Like, if you Crit, could 1 training session count as 2 or some such?
Will PL, and how Martial Arts effect it, stay the same?

Yes, though obviously some things require less slots /XP than others. Basic stats like Intelligence for example take 2 training slots per point forever, but the XP cost goes up more and more
Not for Training Sessions. The "Generate XP" Slot is a roll that can crit yes, and some training sessions get a roll to learn various other things (Training in Turtle Style can give the first training session of Kamehameha for example and other Turtle style techs) but they don't typical crit.
At the moment yes, though how you train will be different it will still be based on Potential which is influenced by how many Martial Arts you've learned.

Martial Arts penalties are more formalized too.
You can learn 1 Martial Art, with each one over that mark costing +1 Training Session and *2 XP for the first 5. Personal Styles (the one you make yourself, ie Turtle for Roshi, New Crane for Tien) doesn't count for this.
Every 5 INT reduce the penalties by 0.1 (so it costs +0.9 TS and *1.9 XP with 5 INT) to a maximum of +0.1TS and 1.1XP.
Since you have 28 INT and 2 Styles you get +1 TS to work through and a new Martial Art costs 2* as much XP as usual

After the first 5 Styles the penalties become more extreme, adding 2 Training Sessions and *5 XP modifiers, and only being negated by 0.1 every 10 INT. This goes to 10 Styles
Then it goes from there, 3 TS and *10XP per style negating every 15INT etc.

I may be overcomplicating things again... Eh, this is all behind the scenes.

I agree.

The problem i found with buu-saga Gohan is that his entire character boiled down to laziness and silliness. Silliness by itself is fine, as long as the character is still respectable outside of that area. Toriyama however, decided that he would make Gohan both a fucking slacker and the Great Saiyaman at the same time, completely removing any respect i still had for him - And this was particularly disappointing since Gohan was my teenage idol at the time.

Had Gohan stayed badass and useful outside of his saiyaman routine, i likely would've loved it. However, Gohan abandoned any form of self respect once he gave up on the one thing that could possibly protect the human race; His training.

I'll never forget what they did to my childhood role-model, erasing 100+ episodes worth of character development and lessons on life and morality; Make sacrifices when you need to, grow into something respectable and make sacrifices for the greater good. Kids shouldn't be taught to give up on something on a whim, ignoring their responsibilities when said responsibilities have been established as protecting people's very lives.

Sure, it's also important to be personally happy, but sweet christ, they didn't have to butcher his established character in order to allow for this. To end this overly long rant, please make sure that the rest of Gohan is serious as fuck and actually relevant outside of his Great Saiyaman persona.

For the love of god, establish this Gohan as somebody worth respecting, even into his adulthood. I'm pretty sure your Gohan is the only one fleshed out enough to rival the original in relevance, and is therefore my only hope at rectifying his shattered image. I need my childhood hero back man, his violated corpse has been rotting away in my brain for years now...

Gohan is serious about training, unlike Gohan from canon he knows if he slacks off it is actively endangering the Earth.
Gohan isn't as serious about fighting and likes to make things interesting and fun if he can but in a true life or death situation will step up to the plate and be Future Gohan.

If he becomes the Great Saiyaman (probably) he won't stop training and despite his goofiness will be a clear and obvious help to the world. Sure he'll pose and do the thing, but he will also save every person in that burning building, disarm the hostage-taking bank robbers and do enough Ki training to deal with the next threat against the Earth.
After all, if he doesn't then Gossard will get into another situation and go nuts.

Without some pretty major character development in a really bad way, Gohan will never stop training to defeat the Next Threat. He will just do it in an interesting and possibly silly way because dammit just because he is saving the world doesn't mean he can't have fun doing it.
He wants to Help people and Save people. He doesn't want to be normal or let his skills rust.

In order of importance:
1. Family
2. Saving people
3. Having fun and being silly

He will sacrifice for the greater good. He can stop being silly, but he won't if it's unnecessary. Sacrifice only when you need too, but when you need too do it gladly.

Yes, though obviously some things require less slots /XP than others. Basic stats like Intelligence for example take 2 training slots per point forever, but the XP cost goes up more and more
Not for Training Sessions. The "Generate XP" Slot is a roll that can crit yes, and some training sessions get a roll to learn various other things (Training in Turtle Style can give the first training session of Kamehameha for example and other Turtle style techs) but they don't typical crit.
At the moment yes, though how you train will be different it will still be based on Potential which is influenced by how many Martial Arts you've learned.
so theres no chance now of future training sessions critting and getting us something like the bubble beam? and we'd have to spend extra training sessions and XP on coming up with new techniques (which would probably require a write in to describe the technique we'd want to come up with rather than you making it like you did with the bubble beam)?

Martial Arts penalties are more formalized too.
You can learn 1 Martial Art, with each one over that mark costing +1 Training Session and *2 XP for the first 5. Personal Styles (the one you make yourself, ie Turtle for Roshi, New Crane for Tien) doesn't count for this.
Every 5 INT reduce the penalties by 0.1 (so it costs +0.9 TS and *1.9 XP with 5 INT) to a maximum of +0.1TS and 1.1XP.
Since you have 28 INT and 2 Styles you get +1 TS to work through and a new Martial Art costs 2* as much XP as usual

After the first 5 Styles the penalties become more extreme, adding 2 Training Sessions and *5 XP modifiers, and only being negated by 0.1 every 10 INT. This goes to 10 Styles
Then it goes from there, 3 TS and *10XP per style negating every 15INT etc.

I may be overcomplicating things again... Eh, this is all behind the scenes.

Gohan is serious about training, unlike Gohan from canon he knows if he slacks off it is actively endangering the Earth.
Gohan isn't as serious about fighting and likes to make things interesting and fun if he can but in a true life or death situation will step up to the plate and be Future Gohan.

If he becomes the Great Saiyaman (probably) he won't stop training and despite his goofiness will be a clear and obvious help to the world. Sure he'll pose and do the thing, but he will also save every person in that burning building, disarm the hostage-taking bank robbers and do enough Ki training to deal with the next threat against the Earth.
After all, if he doesn't then Gossard will get into another situation and go nuts.

Without some pretty major character development in a really bad way, Gohan will never stop training to defeat the Next Threat. He will just do it in an interesting and possibly silly way because dammit just because he is saving the world doesn't mean he can't have fun doing it.
He wants to Help people and Save people. He doesn't want to be normal or let his skills rust.

In order of importance:
1. Family
2. Saving people
3. Having fun and being silly

He will sacrifice for the greater good. He can stop being silly, but he won't if it's unnecessary. Sacrifice only when you need too, but when you need too do it gladly.

Thank fucking god. I didn't doubt you beforehand, but concrete assurances are massively relieving.

I definitely support your Gohan 100% now.

You know looking back at what Chaos has said...the highest one can go in one line of forms would be Perfect[Form name] Grade 2+3 at the same time.

Which I found neat. Along with re-reading that Green forms can't support themselves without another color (apparently using Violet)

You know looking back at what Chaos has said...the highest one can go in one line of forms would be Perfect[Form name] Grade 2+3 at the same time.

Perfect is basically the two Prestige forms combined. So yeah.
Ultimate Super Saiyan + Ascended Super Saiyan = Perfect Super Saiyan.

Which I found neat. Along with re-reading that Green forms can't support themselves without another color (apparently using Violet)

It's more that Violet is a corrupt form of Green like Cyan is a corrupt form of Blue. This is due primarily to backlash unlike Cyan which is due to the nature of The Saiyan not meshing well with Individuality. How the Saiyan uses Green is focused too much on [Spoilers]. They are too similar but lack key links which causes Green to destabilize.

I just call it Green instead of Violet cause I'm not using actual Green for anything and it'd just cause confusion. I'd call Cyan Blue if Humans didn't use Blue Ki, but they do so I need to make distinctions.

so theres no chance now of future training sessions critting and getting us something like the bubble beam? and we'd have to spend extra training sessions and XP on coming up with new techniques (which would probably require a write in to describe the technique we'd want to come up with rather than you making it like you did with the bubble beam)?

Not Bubblebeam, but if you are training Techniques then some Combo-Techs will unlock. Like how training Martial Arts can (with a dice roll but not needing a crit) unlock their related Ki attacks.
Bubblebeam being a crit Combo-Tech of Kamehameha and Collective (Green) Ki. You probably wouldnt have gotten Bubblebeam with this system. It would probably just be a Homing Beam, similar to the Bending Kamehameha but on autopilot.

I will probably put up a few Techniques you could invent, but invention is a write-in yes. Just like how I gave a few science experiments way back when.

Not Bubblebeam, but if you are training Techniques then some Combo-Techs will unlock. Like how training Martial Arts can (with a dice roll but not needing a crit) unlock their related Ki attacks.
Bubblebeam being a crit Combo-Tech of Kamehameha and Collective (Green) Ki. You probably wouldnt have gotten Bubblebeam with this system. It would probably just be a Homing Beam, similar to the Bending Kamehameha but on autopilot.

I will probably put up a few Techniques you could invent, but invention is a write-in yes. Just like how I gave a few science experiments way back when.
Yeah i figured, it makes sense but it's a shame we won't occasionally get crazy techniques Gossard invents on his own rather than requiring write-ins for every non canon attack.

Definitely a more stable system now but unfortunately a bit of the fun's been lost.

It's more that Violet is a corrupt form of Green like Cyan is a corrupt form of Blue. This is due primarily to backlash unlike Cyan which is due to the nature of The Saiyan not meshing well with Individuality. How the Saiyan uses Green is focused too much on [Spoilers]. They are too similar but lack key links which causes Green to destabilize.

I just call it Green instead of Violet cause I'm not using actual Green for anything and it'd just cause confusion. I'd call Cyan Blue if Humans didn't use Blue Ki, but they do so I need to make distinctions.

Ahhh, I think I understand it now. So our Legendary form is technically 'Green' but doesn't actually become Green/stabilize until it's mixed with another color to support its conceptual weight?

Last edited:
Hmm... what was it that essay said.

Goku was the one who achieved Enlightenment. Vegeta was the one with the Potential, but who lost his way in Reality. And Gohan was the Prodigal Son who wasted his talent.

I think that was the gist of it and where and why Toriyama took their characters (or someone's breakdown of their character's?). It's a... Buddhism thing.

Sorry, it's really late and I'm very tired.

Quick question LordChaos, are you taking ideas for martial art styles from the thread? I'm curious

Hmm... what was it that essay said.

Goku was the one who achieved Enlightenment. Vegeta was the one with the Potential, but who lost his way in Reality. And Gohan was the Prodigal Son who wasted his talent.

I think that was the gist of it and where and why Toriyama took their characters (or someone's breakdown of their character's?). It's a... Buddhism thing.

Sorry, it's really late and I'm very tired.

Goku didn't achieve Enlightenment, Tien did. It's why he has the 3rd eye :p
And yeah I'm not using Buddhism, mostly cause I'd need to completely change how Transformations work and Im not that knowledgeable about it.

Quick question LordChaos, are you taking ideas for martial art styles from the thread? I'm curious

Sure, though I will point out "Invent a Martial Art Style" is essentially a quest-chain that requires an Adult PC to do and can't be repeated.
So any MA would need to find an existing practitioner to learn it from. But I might add them in as alien Martial Arts you can track down or have others invent it (Chaotzu can still develop a Martial Arts for example same with the Saiyans who apart from Nappa haven't invented their own personal style yet).

This seeme's like a excessive and obscene amount of metaphysics for a Dragon Ball quest. Not that I'm complaining:D

I over-worldbuild. It's always been my second biggest flaw as a writer (the first being my lack of dedication and focus before flitting away or procrastinating).
But in my defense, Dragonball has a lot of metaphysics, I simply linked everything up and changed things to fit the themes.

Which was meant to be facing your inner self and coming to terms with it letting you face the world. And ended up as something something Duality.

Yeah i figured, it makes sense but it's a shame we won't occasionally get crazy techniques Gossard invents on his own rather than requiring write-ins for every non canon attack.

Definitely a more stable system now but unfortunately a bit of the fun's been lost.

I think the only non-canon Tech he uses is Bubblebeam which was a crit.
And the only Other non-canon tech I've used (AFAIK) is the Kamehame Dodon Pha which is simply mixing the Dodon Pa with it's weaker but more efficient cousin both of which are canon.

Sure, though I will point out "Invent a Martial Art Style" is essentially a quest-chain that requires an Adult PC to do and can't be repeated.
So any MA would need to find an existing practitioner to learn it from. But I might add them in as alien Martial Arts you can track down or have others invent it (Chaotzu can still develop a Martial Arts for example same with the Saiyans who apart from Nappa haven't invented their own personal style yet).

Alright, it's not much but it had been in my head for awhile so I wrote down some of it.

Black Warrior School: The style is "a tortoise and snake" way of combat. A school of patience, standing your ground but when on the attack striking fast with their KI Venom fangs. This school teaches the Energy Barrier, the Venom Fangs, and Venom KI (Modifier)

Venom Fangs - By taking one's ki and 'sharpening' it like a fang they can not only pierce their enemy but also inject their Venomous Ki inside them.
Venom Ki (Modifier) – The second basic technique of the Black Warrior style, by churning and imparting upon their Ki a venomous quality to help wear down the opponent. At a basic level, your Ki gains a tint of acid green around it and you must take care less you poison yourself. You can't kill a person with it except VERY high doses. At higher levels, the green dulls into a clear color and can more easily kill a being.

That's the...basic idea of it at least, It's lacking range options but it does have the potential for variations in their Modifier. I know it needs work though

That looks like more of a Technique, but I suppose a style built around the technique works.
Bonus to counters and a bigger bonus to attacks with the Venom Ki Modifier probably.
Venom Ki can only be applied to a Counter that counters a Physical attack or with a Physical attack (aka either counter a punch or your counter IS a punch)

It's one of the styles Frieza uses, since he has Paralytic and Slowing Ki attacks. He now also has the Black Warrior school and poison Ki.

+5 XP to Gossard

That looks like more of a Technique, but I suppose a style built around the technique works.
Bonus to counters and a bigger bonus to attacks with the Venom Ki Modifier probably.
Venom Ki can only be applied to a Counter that counters a Physical attack or with a Physical attack (aka either counter a punch or your counter IS a punch)

It's one of the styles Frieza uses, since he has Paralytic and Slowing Ki attacks. He now also has the Black Warrior school and poison Ki.

+5 XP to Gossard

I made the Tyrants even more powerful...all according to plan!

Back