The Leila Hann Let's Watch Spoiler Thread: Seriously, Stop Spoiling Stuff

Her reaction to the first story of Bakemonogatari has been positive, though with the expected issues regarding character sexualization. She's able to have an overall positive opinion of the show, though we'll soon hit the next hurdle with Mayoi. If she manages to go through that and still be willing to analyze monogatari like she has so far, then Bakemonogatari at least should go smoothly.

Well, I had convinced myself that, after she so heartily disliked Captain Simian and Mighty Max, which I recall as being among the better cartoons of my childhood, she'd hate King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, which I recall as being fun but not particularly great, but she did like it, so who knows.
I remember her mostly being positive about Captain Simian. there where some really low points and the racism is, well, pretty damn racist but she was pretty hype about the set up they did.

So, Leila just did the first episode of the Magnus Archives, and one thing that stuck out was this.

Finally, one thing I really respect about this story was that it lived up to Simms' initial caveat: of the investigations that don't turn out to be hoaxes, the majority only yield more questions rather than any answers.

I've tried my hand at writing horror, and one of my biggest weaknesses in that genre is that I feel compelled to explore and explain everything. That's an impulse that gets in the way of the fear of the unknown, which is a more potent fear than just about anything you can actually visualize. There's nothing you could attach to that anglerfish lure deeper in the alley that would be more disturbing than, well, nothing. We'll never learn what that creature was. Or why it was active in a certain neighborhood in Scotland for five years before vanishing. Or whether there are more than one of them. What makes it a horror story rather than a dark fantasy or scifi thriller is that the monster won. Completely won. It wanted to snatch victims and remain hidden from the public, and it did. CAN you even fight something like this? Will it EVER appear in a place and time where people could be ready for it? We don't even know if it's a ghost, or a biological creature, or something weirder. Or whether its human-shaped lure was a projected hologram, a telepathic illusion, or what. Just what it did.

Honestly, I really enjoyed the Magnus Archive, and the reason why my desire to keep listening has kind of gone down with it is entirely because it's kind of lost this element to it. Especially since apparently every monster can be traced back to one of like a dozen Dark gods which are themselves apparently an extension of something else. At least with the SCP Foundation, no matter how well the lore is developed there's always room for just things that are totally inexplicable. Or at least, nothing is forcing you to accept the lore connecting everything.

So, Leila just did the first episode of the Magnus Archives, and one thing that stuck out was this.

Honestly, I really enjoyed the Magnus Archive, and the reason why my desire to keep listening has kind of gone down with it is entirely because it's kind of lost this element to it. Especially since apparently every monster can be traced back to one of like a dozen Dark gods which are themselves apparently an extension of something else. At least with the SCP Foundation, no matter how well the lore is developed there's always room for just things that are totally inexplicable. Or at least, nothing is forcing you to accept the lore connecting everything.

It's true that it becomes an entirely different sort of story but in my opinion the shift to the focus on the Entities - and the later, fairly radical shift in the status quo for season 4 - opens the series up to other, equally interesting types of horror and exploration of different themes.

I can see why someone who signed up for one type of horror would be put off by the shift to another framework, though; I suppose it is a matter of taste.

I can see that, and I do enjoy it a bit anyway and will probably push through and catch up eventually.

Though I'm really looking forward to her doing the next episode.

I was motivated to start listening to the Magnus Archives after Leila put this up on patreon, and I enjoyed it alot... until the end of season 2. The whole dark gods and entities thing just sucked the fun out of it, even leaving aside my dislike for the actual dialogue from the silly things. Cosmic horrors shouldn't have lengthy dialogue, it takes them from unknowable monsters to irritating smug fuckos in my mind.

But it really was very fun until the metaplot annoyed me too much, so I'm glad I started it.

As someone who likes cosmic horror... Yeah, once they start talking a bunch, they almost invariably just come off as people instead of unknowable things.

It was sad to have the mystery fall away after the first few seasons. It was still good afterwards (well, I wasn't the biggest fan of season 5 tbh, especially the ending, but other than that), but it was a very different experience.

Not having seen the show, the main thing I got out of that meme is that these siblings actually look related, unlike many anime brothers and sisters.

Well, that and that Senjo is going to have more teasing fodder later.

So...is there context that I'm missing? I'm not quite getting it.

Edit: Ah, autocorrect for Bakemonogatari?

Edit edit: the joke

my head

Last edited:
Leila is doing exactly the right amount of theorizing for Monogatari, and looking up the literal meanings of "mayoi" and "hachikuji" was a smart move. (Though she missed the simpler "hachi ku ji" = "89 temples," which itself dovetails into a sign of misfortune in Buddhism and won't matter for about 70 episodes.)

She just latched onto her first idea (not a bad one, to be fair) and completely missed the meaning of the imagery in the OP. The shot of OP!Mayoi trying to balance-beam on a cliffside safety rail and falling the wrong way isn't subtle.

Last edited:
Looks like her opinion of monogatari has been trashed by the second arc. I imagine we'll still get some good analysis in bits, but we can probably expect her reviews from this point to be heavily coloured by the feelings she has towards it now and by what she feels its made for. That's completely fair in my opinion, though I was feeling a bit hopeful that we could get that first arc quality effort for later arcs.

Back