Sonic The Hedgehog live action movie

The internet bullied a film into not being ugly, huh?

I mean, it still looks goofy, but a better goofy then before.

Well now I got a real ethics based reason to avoid this movie instead of "they made it less of a trashfire". So theres some silver lining.

Wow, and here I was seriously considering going to see this.

I'm not about to give those assholes my money when they do this to the people that saved the movie.

I get what you're saying but at the same time...

This movie being a success would be better for the animators in the long run, I believe. It will be easier to get a job in the future if they have a big hit in their resume instead of a failure.

But yeah, is difficult to support them when you know that part of the money will go towards people that honestly don't deserve the huge checks they get.

This movie being a success would be better for the animators in the long run, I believe. It will be easier to get a job in the future if they have a big hit in their resume instead of a failure.
Not really, at that level it's more your portfolio work and general design than the success or failure of projects you were on. The only way the failure of a project could be bad for you is if the failure was in the art production side, and that failure was the project not coming out.

Well I was going to eat my words about the design being bad and I still should. Seeing it in full it's vastly better.

That said I saw this coming the moment they delayed the movie twice to extend their goofy Mulligan. Whether it turned out good or not, the only way they were going to achieve this was by putting workers through the electric wall, and here we are.

Classic deflection has already begun, with people saying that they were working on other projects too. That makes this worse, galaxy brains. Corporate pushing extra hours to redesign the lead character that their cash grab is built around because they couldn't be assed to have a proper delay or like, have designers with brains in their heads (good job getting a hold of Hesse well after the fact, omega good job really) is in fact not something you should be mentioning other than as sarcastic praise.

There are obviously a lot more moving parts to this, but I'm not shocked that between the parent company and clients like Disney and Paramount, everyone wanted to save money so they sacrificed the animators on the altar of capitalism.

It probably won't be worth it either. This still looks dumb and it's coming out in literal February.

What in the fuck?

Okay, now I'm not going to watch this movie. Fuck this industry. The directors were just fucking bragging about how their art team was puling extra hours of work to redesign sonic and then they just kick them out?

Fuck this industry.

All that good shit about how the animators TOTALLY wouldn't be fucked over, even on VFX channels like Corridor Crew, I was starting to believe it 😒

Oh right, this goddamned thing is coming out this weekend, isn't it? Early reviews are in and, well...

A feature-length episode of Sonic Boom probably would've been a better use of the money spent on this.
This is just one review. And to be honest, other reviews are more positive. At the moment, the film on RT has a freshness rating of 68%.

Personally, based on a review from people I trust, I can't wait for the film to be released in Russia.

Its currently at 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, which if it holds up would make it the 2nd western videogame adaptation ever to get a Fresh rating from critics, though Detective Pikachu is still 1st overall, and Rampage got a Fresh from fans whom I suspect will be less forgiving of Sonic.
... that is quite frankly a more terrifying statistic than I expected.
I mean, are video game movies really so bad off that this film* is the second to breach the low bar of "a watchable film"?

* Which as far as I can tell is mostly good because Sonic has had such a varied history of both backstory and quality from its other installments that there is plenty of room for mediocre to be on the better side.
His setting is for one thing fairly hard to mess up simply because every possible take has already been tried to some degree, so there is always something you can point to and say "sort of like that one time".
And theres setup for a sequel
*spoiler media*
Holy shit they did the one thing I worry about any take on Sonic not doing:
They actually made Tails fast. It is the thing I would first expect any new film, cartoon, or even game adaptation to miss, but such a core part of the character to me that I actually cannot forgive doing so.

Last edited:
Holy shit they did the one thing I worry about any take on Sonic not doing:
They actually made Tails fast. It is the thing I would first expect any new film, cartoon, or even game adaptation to miss, but such a core part of the character to me that I actually cannot forgive doing so.
yeah
i mean, while he's not as fast as sonic, he's usually able to keep up with him,

Back