Sonic The Hedgehog live action movie

The people who wrote the Sonic movie, basically:

I saw the movie on Friday, and it was honestly... fine? Normally I'd complain about the filmmakers being cowards for adding in a bunch of random human sidekick characters a la Bayformers, but this is a Sonic movie so instead I'm going to complain about the filmmakers being cowards for not letting Sonic have an explicitly romantic relationship with a human.

He definitely does things for profit. Albeit, granted, I think the profit is more about the joy of hosing people than about actually having money. Quoth his PA announcements from his amusement park in Colors

When you're going to that much trouble to transparently extort people, I feel like it's less a profit-making scheme and more performance art satirizing capitalism.

I saw the movie on Friday, and it was honestly... fine? Normally I'd complain about the filmmakers being cowards for adding in a bunch of random human sidekick characters a la Bayformers, but this is a Sonic movie so instead I'm going to complain about the filmmakers being cowards for not letting Sonic have an explicitly romantic relationship with a human.

You mean like this?

Last edited:

Did anyone get a Thanos with the infinity gauntlet feeling from Sonic absorbing his power?
I could have sworn Thanos did the exact same motions in one of the movies he was in...

Apparently this movie was good? I guess I'll admit to being wrong on the internet then.

Nah but it's cool that it's not a trash fire and will spread the magic of blue hedgehogs to future generations. Good work I guess.

Sonic is so weird. It hasn't gotten a good game in a while and this movie is not only good, but may even surpass Detective Pikachu??? And Sega didn't release a game during this time period to bank in the opportunity???

As a non-fan and casual player, this franchise is cursed.

Sonic is so weird. It hasn't gotten a good game in a while and this movie is not only good, but may even surpass Detective Pikachu??? And Sega didn't release a game during this time period to bank in the opportunity???

As a non-fan and casual player, this franchise is cursed.
Sonic Mania isn't that old.

I dunno, do you want Sonic 2020: Son of Sonic 2006? Because that's the cursed path to that sort of thing.

Also Sonic 30th is next year. Nothing releasing right now is for the best tbh.

The thing about Sonic 2006 is that it should have never been released when it was. But it was the 15th anniversary and Sega wanted to make bank by releasing it in winter 2006...after Yuji Naka finally had enough of Sega, fucked off, and took enough staff along with him to leave a skeleton crew behind.

Then Sega had that skeleton crew split in half, one side working on Sonic 2006 with a rookie director and less than a year to put out a finished game after there was only a demo to show for TGS 2005, the other side working on Sonic Wildfire - the project that was released as Secret Rings for the Wii.

There's just so...much that happened with Sonic 2006.

So obviously what happened was that Yuji Naka cursed the Sonic brand and the spell would only be lifted once they made a live action movie.

Last edited:
The thing about Sonic 2006 is that it should have never been released when it was. But it was the 15th anniversary and Sega wanted to make bank by releasing it in winter 2006...after Yuji Naka finally had enough of Sega, fucked off, and took enough staff along with him to leave a skeleton crew behind.

Then Sega had that skeleton crew split in half, one side working on Sonic 2006 with a rookie director and less than a year to put out a finished game after there was only a demo to show for TGS 2005, the other side working on Sonic Wildfire - the project that was released as Secret Rings for the Wii.

There's just so...much that happened with Sonic 2006.

So obviously what happened was that Yuji Naka cursed the Sonic brand and the spell would only be lifted once they made a live action movie.
They broke it earlier with Colors and Generations, the curse just resumed immediately afterwards. It'll be back.

So I just watched the film, and it was actually...kinda fun? I'd personally rate Detective Pikachu higher, but I genuinely love that film.

Sonic's personality isn't quite like the ganes or other adaptations, but from the film timeline and how he acts I'm pretty sure this version is a bit younger than normal, so that actually works. How the US government want to completely ignore Robotnik's existence and everything he did at the end was kinda funny, kinda weird.

All in all, is it bad that I actually really want a sequel?

Tails is here! He's actually as fast as he's meant to be! And he's hoping he's as smart, too.

Did anyone get a Thanos with the infinity gauntlet feeling from Sonic absorbing his power?
I could have sworn Thanos did the exact same motions in one of the movies he was in...

I strongly suspect Movie!Sonic is a living Chaos Emerald or somehow got the power of one as an infant, would explain the echidna assaulting him and Long Claw, the unlimited power his body seems to produce, and might mean that scene is something of a precursor to a Chaos Control

Edit:
Sonic having human love interests has a long and moderately disturbing history. Don't forget to include primary heroine of the Sonic OVA, Sara, who is technically a cat person of some kind, but only really in a Halloween costume kinda way.
Wait, Sara was a cat?

Last edited:
Back