Sonic The Hedgehog live action movie

Is he supposed to be examining his hands or fondling his chest?

It's from hbomberguy's serious lore analysis of Sonic the Hedgehog. The voiceover for the scene in question:

"Sonic's devil-may-care attitude is a way of dealing with the utmost depression he feels fighting a near-impossible battle as he copes with the loss of his race."

So he's probably staring at his hands in anguish, as you do.

It's from hbomberguy's serious lore analysis of Sonic the Hedgehog. The voiceover for the scene in question:

"Sonic's devil-may-care attitude is a way of dealing with the utmost depression he feels fighting a near-impossible battle as he copes with the loss of his race."

If there's one thing that watching two and a half seasons of JoJo has taught me, its that fondling your own chest is a perfectly normal expression of grief.

I think that was meant to be rhetorical.

This thing needs to be released so it can hopefully bomb and disappear.

Also all of the fan edits that "improve" this trash fire just make it look worse. I honestly think that somehow the first release was one of the best possible outcomes, and that this redo is going to look so bad we'll be begging for what we had before.

It looks exactly as I expected their "Fix" to work, which is to just keep the same fucked up skeleton but stitch a different texture to it. The real takeaway that they should have gotten is "This entire movie is a bad idea and we should just eat the loss and not release it."

It looks fine, to be honest. The live action is weird but I think if they play up the camp it might actually work.

Still images did not convey the awkward horror of the original version, I doubt they sufficiently reveal if this one is actually better to watch.

Also need to see the mouth in action. The human teeth were some of the worst parts of the previous design.

Doesn't have that weird proportionals anymore and is more like his video-gamey self.
Its the uncanny valley effect. He was close enough to human to be creepy before - the only way out of uncanny valley would be either to make him more human - and thus ruin the point of having him be a hedgehog - or less human, and thus more cartoony. They (obviously) went with the latter.

Though how well it works remains to be seen, since we need to see the motion to judge.

This isn't going to go well. All that happened was an increase in budget for a negligible increase in revenue. Even though this wasn't going to go well with the bad look(on a visual outlet that moves no less), they should have just released it anyway.

He doesn't even look like his old game self, the proportions are still fucked. Go look at the sprites or hell even the art for the old games. Sonic's limbs were still long in the 2D era, his body was just a lot rounder. When they moved into 3D they made him bigger overall, taller and slimmer, but the same general shape was still in place. The image that Sonic Team was going for was "sprinter", reflected in the running and posture changes.

This just completely misses the mark. He's short and thick all around, making it look like they just compressed him because they went over the old art and thought "oh we just need to make him shorter, that'll make the fans happy". It doesn't look better at all. And I'm not confident in motion saving this.

Its the uncanny valley effect. He was close enough to human to be creepy before - the only way out of uncanny valley would be either to make him more human - and thus ruin the point of having him be a hedgehog - or less human, and thus more cartoony. They (obviously) went with the latter.

He doesn't even look like his old game self, the proportions are still fucked. Go look at the sprites or hell even the art for the old games. Sonic's limbs were still long in the 2D era, his body was just a lot rounder. When they moved into 3D they made him bigger overall, taller and slimmer, but the same general shape was still in place. The image that Sonic Team was going for was "sprinter", reflected in the running and posture changes.

This just completely misses the mark. He's short and thick all around, making it look like they just compressed him because they went over the old art and thought "oh we just need to make him shorter, that'll make the fans happy". It doesn't look better at all. And I'm not confident in motion saving this.
he looks like some sort of weird Sonic chibi or bobblehead.
It's still really bad, but I can't agree when you say it's not at all better. He... communicates the idea of sonic better even if still very poorly.

But yeah, in motion will be the key. If they're trying to capitalize on all this, though, they'll purposefully hid how he looks from all promo material till after the launch.

Back