Son Quest (Dragon Ball)

I'm not that good at making plans, but I do think that some insight might be useful.

In JRPG boss battles, what's the best path to success?

Party Roles.

Designate who's going to be support and who's going to be offensive and make sure they stick to their roles.

In this case, JIn, with his Ki healing, would be support.

And, although it might be dishonorable, a quick retreat to help Yamcha might be useful.

[X] Plan Annoyance

[X] You'll put on the phoenix cap.
[X] Combine your martial arts with ki to fight Raion offensively and defensively.
[X] Goku will hang back to assist you with his martial arts when fighting.
[X] Afterwards, use Gale palm and Thunder Hammer together if necessary. Goku can use janken-po afterwards to help you if his Ki goes low instead.
[X] If Yamcha recovers soon, he can assist you with his martial arts too.

We can't heal fast enough to help Yamcha, and even if we could, leaving Goku to face Raion alone isn't a good idea.

Edit:
Vote changed from Plan Teamwork without trickery to Plan Annoyance.

Last edited:
I'd ask if people would think very about Raion's attributes as well as ours; we need to max out Jin's and Goku's chances to counter this...

Raion

KI Sheild-6 -->1.8

Might-8
Ki-6
Wit-6
Speed-5
Skill-6
Martial Arts-8
Awareness and reflex = 9

With the above in mind, whatever we do should involve Jin and Goku's best attributes for dealing with that monstrous 16 check until Yamcha get's back.

Last edited:
There's not really much difference between any of Goku's attributes (they're all basically 5), though if possible, we should try blocking his attack with Martial Arts, and combine Gale Palm with Thunder Hammer.

Edit:
We could also try to get the staff so we can burn our weapon attributes and hit Raion for massive damage, then throw it away afterwards.
Doubleedit:
Actually, changing my vote above to "Plan Annoyance".

Last edited:
There's not really much difference between any of Goku's attributes (they're all basically 5), though if possible, we should try blocking his attack with Martial Arts, and combine Gale Palm with Thunder Hammer.

Edit:
We could also try to get the staff so we can burn our weapon attributes and hit Raion for massive damage, then throw it away afterwards.
Doubleedit:
Actually, changing my vote above to "Plan Annoyance".

You can't burn Weapon attributes for that exact reason. Well, you can, but only for the base score, not the score as adjusted by the weapon.

You can't burn Weapon attributes for that exact reason. Well, you can, but only for the base score, not the score as adjusted by the weapon.
Makes sense. Could we still burn skill and speed for a normal weapon attack (or do those use weapon ki)? Burning the latter might be risky, and burning the former for a combat benefit sounds abuse-y (and since Jin's Weapon Skill cap is based on Martial Arts, probably won't and shouldn't be allowed..so sorry for asking about this in the first place).

Last edited:
this works I guess

[x] Jin and Goku will close to melee range and attack simultaneously. Goku will use Thunder Hammer.
[x] The two will stay close together and aid each other in evading Raion's counterattack, using the Gale Palm and Nimbus as necessary.
[x] Work as a team and look for more opportunities to make joint attacks, while buying time for Yamcha to recover.

We're not gonna hit Raion unless we use Gale Palm. Goku's check for Thunder hammer is going to be about nine, and even if we added half of Jin's highest attribute, Martial Arts, the total check is going to be 13,5, not enough to beat Raion's check of 14 (his defense last time we attacked him), so having Goku using Thunder Hammer is a waste of ki unless Jin uses Gale Palm.

Edit:
Nevermind, if Goku counts as assisting Jin with Thunder Hammer, then we can hit him.

Last edited:
I think a big part of the problem was the fact that everyone jumped on the 3 vs. 1 bandwagon. without thinking that teamwork takes time then we got written into a corner where we could not come up with a decent plan people could all agree would work with any real of success

Last edited:
I think a big part of the problem was the fact that everyone jumped on the 3 vs. 1 bandwagon. without thinking that teamwork takes time then we got written into a corner where we could not come up with a decent plan people could all agree would work with any deal of success

If we had word of god that the nimbus would show up fast enough to assist in this fight, I would vote for plan TWT. It seems like its designed to buy time rather than actually score a good offensive check against Raion. I mean the first check doesn't look like it will even push past 14 or 15. Maybe I'm not seeing something?

If we had word of god that the nimbus would show up fast enough to assist in this fight, I would vote for plan TWT. It seems like its designed to buy time rather than actually score a good offensive check against Raion. I mean the first check doesn't look like it will even push past 14 or 15. Maybe I'm not seeing something?
Erm, Teamwork Without Trickery doesn't use the Nimbus. In no small part because it would inflict a -1.5 penalty on us, and we have no idea whether the penalty inflicted on our opponent would equal or exceed that to actually make it worthwhile.

Erm, Teamwork Without Trickery doesn't use the Nimbus. In no small part because it would inflict a -1.5 penalty on us, and we have no idea whether the penalty inflicted on our opponent would equal or exceed that to actually make it worthwhile.

I know that it uses the nimbus for evasion not for distraction. I want to know if the plan more about staying out of touch than actually hitting Raion and confirmation the nimbus will reach in time to evade at all.

Plan Teamwork = uses the Nimbus
Plan Teamwork without Trickery = no Nimbus

I get that its not to be used for blinding but for evasion. I'll take it as a yes that it'll reach Goku and JIn in time when goku calls for it though.

Plan Teamwork without Trickery
[x] Jin and Goku will close to melee range and attack simultaneously. Goku will use Thunder Hammer.
[x] The two will stay close together and aid each other in evading Raion's counterattack, using the Gale Palm and Nimbus as necessary.
[x] Work as a team and look for more opportunities to make joint attacks, while buying time for Yamcha to recover.

We get -1,5 point on an unspecified number of checks "when attempting to commit dishonorable, underhanded or deceptive actions."
Leingod already said that blinding him with the Nimbus would count as such (similar to flinging sand into his eyes, for example), and we really can't afford the penalty.

Last edited:
Ah, that might be. Have to admit I made that in a bit of a rush and just copy-pasted the previous plan/vote without the bit about using Nimbus to try and obscure Raion's sight.

Hope it doesn't matter too much? If Nimbus isn't available/fast enough, feel free to just ignore it. :)

Back