Solar Auxilia Officer Quest. A 30k Early Great Crusade quest.

Why are people reacting with amusement to that.

Its someone undergoing high end aesthetic body modifications that don't quite fit their personal comfort just for the sake of meeting societal standards and allow them to hobnob with high society.

:confused:
I mean honestly? Hearing rich people be weirdo's is a kind of entertainment. So many family dinners have conversations started by talking about how weird they are. Remember when Mark Zuckerberg went to the court to answer questions and he drank his water so weirdly. Had all these mannerisms that alone would just be quirks but combined made the "Hes not human Hes a robot!" Memes just match up.

Anyway where was I? Oh yea it's just funny.

The Flaw is a Blood Angels thing, no?
No, Blood Angels' thing is the Red Thirst (which internally they'll sometimes call the Flaw, but more often the Black Rage, post-Heresy), the Emperor's Children had The Flaw, which was put into their geneseed by the Selenite Genecults as a bitter revenge for their conquest. It was the reason why, by the time that Fulgrim was found, they'd been whittled down to a couple hundred marines and practically stuck as an auxiliary detachment to the Luna Wolves instead of operating as an independent Legion.

No, Blood Angels' thing is the Red Thirst (which internally they'll sometimes call the Flaw, but more often the Black Rage, post-Heresy)

Actually the Red Thirst and the Black Rage are two separate things. The Red Thirst just makes them bloodthirsty berserkers that could give the World Eaters post-heresy a run for their money, the Black Rage is much more intense and came about after Sanguinius' death where the Marine believes themselves to be their genefather and see everyone around them as Horus.

No, Blood Angels' thing is the Red Thirst (which internally they'll sometimes call the Flaw, but more often the Black Rage, post-Heresy), the Emperor's Children had The Flaw, which was put into their geneseed by the Selenite Genecults as a bitter revenge for their conquest. It was the reason why, by the time that Fulgrim was found, they'd been whittled down to a couple hundred marines and practically stuck as an auxiliary detachment to the Luna Wolves instead of operating as an independent Legion.
Lexicanum calls it 'the Blight' and the Blood Angel's thing (i.e. The Red Thirst) 'The Flaw'. I think that's where I got intially muddled becuase The Flaw made me thing BAs right away, happy to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:
Actually the Red Thirst and the Black Rage are two separate things. The Red Thirst just makes them bloodthirsty berserkers that could give the World Eaters post-heresy a run for their money, the Black Rage is much more intense and came about after Sanguinius' death where the Marine believes themselves to be their genefather and see everyone around them as Horus.
Yes, I know they're different. I was saying that, post-Heresy, it's the Black rage that the Blood Angels mainly address with the cognomen of 'the Flaw', whereas prior to Sanguinius' death, it would've been used solely for the Red Thirst.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Mayto on Jul 28, 2024 at 11:33 AM, finished with 108 posts and 41 votes.

Ironically the Red Thirst is implied to have come around because the Blood Angels started repressing the tactics and eccentricities they were designed to use. By using it wholesale as the Revenants it wasn't a problem. In modern 40k even the Flesh Tearers who indulge to some extent still suffer.

"Where the mass has burnt and cracked, a thick transparant liquid that defies the near-vacuum flows forward, marble-sized creatures swimming through it. The liquid moves with uncanny purpose, slithering up the legs of Alpha-Tercio's flamers, the creatures adhering to the suits and burning through as they dissolve, allowing the liquid inside.

You mute the vox as the men scream, melting inside their suits into a sludge that flows through the fluid in red patches, even as the suit is dutifully disassembled by swarms of the creatures working in cooperation.

Scaled sections of the hills slough off, detaching and sliding open to reveal arrayed legions of Cymoeba infantry, charging out with precision and drill. They advance through the fluid, unbothered by the antibodies advancing to the edge of the fluid and moving no further. The macro-cells flow up their forms, bringing with them biomass and machinery that begins to augment their ranks.

Emerging from hydraulic elevators of equal parts meat and steel that open like the winking of great eyes, are the enemy war-walkers. The creatures, each the size of a tank, open fire with cybernetic bio-lasers. Great fleshy maws on the tanks open up, sucking down the liquified Solar Auxilia and drinking deep, as they consume this, the creatures weapons begin glowing brighter.

The Battle of Proteus has begun."

...I am really wishing we had best bois as meat shields right now.

I vastly overestimated how long the storm axes would last against...that

Cool! I love this, the exploration of the terrors of the Great Crusade that make it its own horror show compared to the 40k we know.

Now I just have to hope we don't die in it.

I mean quite frankly, we're going to be dealing with the Terrors of Old Night throughout this quest, as the elite proto-guardsmen of the Imperium. The terrors that sometimes turned full fledged crusade-era space marines into cannon fodder. Taking proportionally massive causalities when we come up against an enemy we don't know is just going to be something we have to accept.

Last edited:
And before I retreat into my writing cave:

"You crouch down behind the grey corpse of the Revenant, scooting over so the Apothecary cutting into it can perform his work. After he finishes, he slams down the corpse of the Solar Auxiliary that had covered the Revenant before and re-secures it into the barricade with a spray of armour cement. You feel the body behind you shudder as Cymoeba small arms fire digs into it. Your Volkite chimes and you unplug it from the Marine's backpack."

I mean quite frankly, we're going to be dealing with the Terrors of Old Night throughout this quest, as the elite proto-guardsmen of the Imperium. The terrors that sometimes turned full fledged crusade-era space marines into cannon fodder. Taking proportionally massive causalities when we come up against an enemy we don't know is just going to be something we have to accept.
To be fair, Crusade-Era marines were far less skilled vs 40K ones.

That era, even before the Heresy was more of a 'Roughly genetically compatible and competent, off to be implanted' then any real standards.

To be fair, Crusade-Era marines were far less skilled vs 40K ones.

That era, even before the Heresy was more of a 'Roughly genetically compatible and competent, off to be implanted' then any real standards.
Not to mention, a Tactical Marine in the Great Crusade was the bog standard line trooper, fresh off of the Black Carapace implantation, whereas a Codex Astartes Tactical Marine is someone who has spent roughly a decade on average as a Scout, then as a Devastator and then as an Assault Marine. And then is expected to be able to switch between those roles at a moment's notice with no loss in proficiency.

Last edited:
The Marines who survive a few campaigns were probably the equivalent of Deathwatch veterans due to surviving all kinds of shit. but we're a good deal away from when that becomes normal to see.

Last edited:
The Marians who survive a few campaigns were probably the equivalent of Deathwatch veterans due to surviving all kinds of shit. but we're a good deal away from when that becomes normal to see.
For a moment I was very confused about what the Mariana Trench-dwelling tribes I wrote up before had to with this discussion; you probably meant Marines, right?

Back