Solar Auxilia Officer Quest. A 30k Early Great Crusade quest.

I think the Rapier Battery is probably going to be slow enough to not be of very much use in going to aid the Marines will conversely being of a lot of use in helping secure the landing zone, especially if allowed to deploy area denial weapons, so I'd say it'd be good to keep that and maybe a Section at the Landing Zone and take the rest to help the Marines?

You frown at one of the sergeants under Void Sergeant Jeanne's usage of Imperial Gothic in giving commands to his troops instead of Française. The gutter-snipe Jeanne should be teacher her men better. You make a note to report the sergean to the Academie Franç and have him caned once for each word as the Code Militaire dictates.
Et pour les Gothiques, la même chose.

I think the Rapier Battery is probably going to be slow enough to not be of very much use in going to aid the Marines will conversely being of a lot of use in helping secure the landing zone, especially if allowed to deploy area denial weapons, so I'd say it'd be good to keep that and maybe a Section at the Landing Zone and take the rest to help the Marines?
On the other hand, infantry alone is probably not going to be very helpful against the mutants, if the Space Marines are having trouble with them, especially if they've dug into a position with those relic weapons. The Rapier might be exactly what would be needed to force them out of position.

I'm liking both uses for the rapier, if we use it to defend we will have a good chance to hold our position even if we send two section to help the Astartes; instead if we send the rapier to help kill the mutants we would help the marines and also have the chance to recover some DaoT weapons

I have two plan ideas:

[] Plan: A Conservative Approach
-[]Main Access:
--[] First Lasrifle Section. You are in command of this Section.
--[] Second Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Amélie Beaufort
--[] First Rapier Destroyer section. Led by Sergeant Philip "Pip" Bernadotte
-[]Starboard wall:
--[] Third Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Jeanne
-[]The Depths:
--[] None

Strictly speaking, the Tercio's orders are to secure the landing site, not go gallivanting off into the bowels of an unsecured space station at a Space Marine's word. Being known as a glory hound has its pros and cons, but maybe not this early into the battle.

[] Plan: A Bold Move Forward
-[]Main Access:
-[]Starboard wall:
-[]The Depths:

On the other hand, helping to save the pinned Astartes would be a chance to raise our acclaim and possibly grab the relic weapons for the Tercio's use. Plus, helping might make the Marines less likely to see their Auxilia as dead weight.

Last edited:
On the other hand, infantry alone is probably not going to be very helpful against the mutants, if the Space Marines are having trouble with them, especially if they've dug into a position with those relic weapons. The Rapier might be exactly what would be needed to force them out of position.
And it should be noted, Rapiers have this trait:
When Attacking: If the enemy has no Fire Support in the engagement, the attacker shoots fist.

Feeding the Franc Cohorts.
As Soldiers of Franc, the Verdyn Chemical Engineers are very demanding in their cuisine, much to the chagrin of everyone who has to work with them. They insist that fresh produce be transported from Terra in frozen storage, and that the ships that will transports them during the Great Crusade, make special arrangements to transport the Cohort's specialized growth vats of domestic design that include, and are not limited to: Cybernetic cloned cow udders producing copious quantities of milk, Egg Replication machines able to create a steady stream of eggs, wheat-synthesizer, a synth-wine replication machine, and growth vats that grow full animals for butchery so they can be butchered into traditional cuts. With this comes a comprehensive field kitchen that is run by the Cohort members.

The Legate Marshals of the Franc Cohorts have ensured these changes go through by making their demands collectively, to the concern of some on the Imperial War Council, but according to hearsay, great amusement from Malcador the Sigilite.

To the particular disdain of the Jovians, the Franc officers corps regularly insist on bringing real cows and orchards with them on their interstellar expeditions, turning in-ship training areas into orchards and pasture, aquaponics, and requisitioning hydroponics bays for the growing of wheat and barley, and their own ration-repackaging systems. There is also the matter of the space taken up by the stations and staff whom process these foods, producing milk, butter, ice cream, and fresh baked bread.

To the chagrin of the Mechanicus, although the Franc have the technology to provide their troops with a simple but efficient nutrient paste, the Franc insist on instead creating inefficient ingredients they then use for inefficient cooking, and to add insult to injury, the Franc refuse to allow any servitors involved with the food preparation process, not even for serving the troops.

When confronted on his insistence on feeding his troops such complex meals, the Legate Marshal of the 1st Pars Cohort responded by saying that his troops would kill him if he gave them cloned Grox meat or nutrient paste. When asked then if this meant he could not control his men, and should subject them to decimation, he laughed before viciously scolding the Tech-Magos who suggested this. "I will shoot the first man who tries to feed my men grox or slop, you wretched bag of oil and sad failure!"

Attempts to appeal to the Franc Legislature to rein in their Legate Marshals led to a unanimous denouncement across the aisle, resulting in a letter signed by 118 of the 150 representatives of the Franc government, declaring that the nutritional needs of their troops were 'of paramount importance'. All but ten of the representatives who did not sign the petition to the Imperial Palace would lose their next election, of whom two were absent for the vote.

Last edited:
Yeah, if the 9th is bad enough off they're calling for help from us, then I think we need to respond in force.

Because bear in mind, this is the Reverent Legion. It's gonna be bad.

[ ] Plan: Rolling Stock
-[ ] Withhold his wine ration for three days. One for each word.
-[ ] Main Access:
--[ ] Second Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Amélie Beaufort
--[ ] Third Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Jeanne
-[ ] Starboard wall:
--[ ] None
-[ ] The Depths:
--[ ] First Lasrifle Section. You are in command of this Section.
--[ ] First Rapier Destroyer section. Led by Sergeant Philip "Pip" Bernadotte

Risky? Sure, but reinforcements are on their way, so the Sections only have to hold out for a little while. And we're combat engineers, so the barricades can probably be trusted to do their job. And sending a fire support platform out on its own seems like a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
[] Plan: A Bold Move Forward
-[] Withhold his wine ration for three days. One for each word.
-[]Main Access:
-[]Starboard wall:
-[]The Depths:
I like this plan, but I would like the nutrition paste punishment added to it as well. If they want to speak like a heathen they can eat like one

I've got a good compromise between [] Plan: A bold Move Forward and [] Plan: Rolling Stock

[]Plan: To the legion!
-[] Write In: give him the dignity to choose eating shit food or no Wine, he knows what he did wrong
-[ ] Main Access:
--[ ] Second Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Amélie Beaufort.
-[ ] Starboard wall:
--[ ] Third Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Jeanne
-[ ] The Depths:
--[ ] First Lasrifle Section. You are in command of this Section.
--[ ] First Rapier Destroyer section. Led by Sergeant Philip "Pip" Bernadotte
That way we have enough forces to hopefully help the Astartes, and hold the key points we need to hold.

Now, just to keep in mind.

I do not like Quantum Ogres.

The threat posed by the wall, if it does or doesn't exist, IS set down. It might be used to flank, or it might be completely ignored.

I know. You don't. And I am not above a bit of psychological playing. :D

Good luck.

Yes we are!

You've trained your entire life to be the finest fighter of your family, you've attended the finest military academy of Franc, and you're commanding some damn fine troops. You feel the restraint harness of the shuttle shudder as it approaches the dock. It is an ancient habitat orbiting Neptune's moon of Triton, designated for capture and re-use by the Imperium.

Our troops might not respect us at first, but in this engagement we shall show that we are as brave and dashing as we are handsome and debonair!

An ancient relic reclaimed by humanity? A fitting first mission for one of your calibre.

Gods the ego is going to be so much fucking fun.

Soldiers of the Franks! Defenders of the Imperium." The voice of Tercio Lieutenant Richelle resounds in your helmet, her soft but hard-edged tones briefly distracting you. "Our ancestors endured Old Night, so that we could be here today. We shall spread enlightenment and reason to mankind as our ancestors did to the savages of Jermani in millenia past. Ready yourselves, children of the republic! Vive L'Empereur!"

How does the saying go? "The Germans and Jews can eventually become friends, but the Germans and French never shall." So good to see that rivalry survived the end of days...triple edition.

I love the feeling of the Napoleonic fervency as well. This is gon be fun.

The shuttle lands. You immediately get to your feet and get into position to charge down the ramp.

You thank the void seal of your armour as the sight before you reached you. The ancient space station's halls are caked with filth and grime, nearly completely concealing the white panelling beneath. Your armour warns you of the toxins in the air and the ambient radiation. Your suit can process the tainted air, but you'll stick to internal recycling for as long as possible.

I wonder how much of that is simple filth and lack of maintenance...and how much of that is what the mutants and other monsters need to breathe to survive...ew.

The hangar bay's deck is littered with corpses that bear the tell-tale wounds of bolter impacts. A bloody trail starting around a boarding pod, but of the Astartes there is no sign. Confusion clouds your thoughts for but a moment. You were supposed to be received by a squad of fifteen Astartes who'd inserted onto the habitat via a boarding pod, aid them in fortifying the bay, then let the Astartes go on their way into the interior while you held their artery of escape or reinforcement open.

Gee, I wonder where the blood thirsty savage legion of space marines went instead of sticking around waiting for their section of the wall of guns? -_- We're going to be spending a LOT of time pulling their rumps out of the roast I imagine.

Also I do have to say, as much as I wish we went with the Scandic fighters with the Iron Warriors, the foppy french with the savage pre sangy blood angles is a nice contrast.

You blink-click to vox the Astartes squad you are supposedly meant to cooperate with. Close=ranged, you do not require the aid of your Vox operator. "Sergeant Khorban, where are your marines?" You vox.

A gruff voice devoid of mirth suddenly broke into the comm with a squeal of static. You can hear bolters, the grind of chainswords, and horrific screaming that you can't be sure aren't Astartes battle cries. "We're not babysitters, mortal. Wait there as we do the real work." A bark of laughter and then the vox dies down.

I wonder...

Sigh. Cue the impending rush into danger when they get overwhelmed in 3...

You inwardly curse the uncouth animals and get about securing the hangar. "Second section, stay in reserve on the left. First and third, target the main access corridor. Rapier section, set up facing the entry."

A Rapier followed by a crew of engineers and a dozen servitors rolls down the lander, accompanied by cargo palettes holding their ammunition and a single levitating stasis casket containing far deadlier payloads. Void-Sergeant Philip signals that the weapon is ready.

Alright, our 'allies' have gone ahead, time to show why Francish discipline shall be the anvil to their gore caked hammer.

As the Auxilia move into position and make ready to sweep the hangar, the deck suddenly starts to shake. Distant roars and screaming fills the air. Distant lights are visible at the other end of the hangar, from the main access corridor.
"Merde!" A trooper shouts as an arm like a support pillar erupts from a deck plate and coils around his feet. The formation wavers for a moment as the massive mutant forces itself up through the deck, smashing the trooper against the ground with a sickening smack.

Yuup, the joys of facing mutants, for all that people try to sermonize on how they are just 'misunderstood'...they can do and become some VERY nasty shit. Living siege weapons at times...but they wouldn't send a biggun like this on its own. I have a bad feeling about this.

The troopers around the beast react on instinct, opening fire on the mutant, tearing large chunks from the beast, even as it reaches out for another human.

You take aim with your Volkite and pull the trigger. A beam of concentrated heat impacts its head and quickly burns through, flash-combusting the liquid in its upper torso in an explosion of red steam.

I'm pretty sure that Volkite were lightning weapons not heat weapons, unless the zappy IS the heat here.

Either way, glad we went with the arms merchant, cause our sidearm was able to blast this fucko into the warpy afterlife.

But the distraction nearly spells doom for the section, as more mutants swarm up through the entrance the lead creature made. You whistle a command and your sections form a double line, the first crouching and the second standing behind. Fifty-nine lasrifles charge at the exact same time. A volley of las beams scythes through the mass of attackers, rupturing flesh, searing off chitin, and turning limbs to meat stumps. The attack stumbles for but a moment before the next of the attackers reaches you.

I knew it! It was a trap!

Line fire, it went out of style but hey, end of the galaxy can bring out some classics, especially for lasguns when you just want to make a deadly wall of 'fuck you die'.

And yet, when facing outright inhuman monsters that care less for their own lives than the price of butter, even that isn't enough to keep you out of the scrum.

You've never seen such a mass of twisted tainted flesh before, not even in the ruins of Antwer or the Uxemburg charnel pits. Your training kicks in and you perish the thought.
"Elan!" You shout the ancient command. Immediately, each able-bodied soldier mounts their bayonets, forming a wall of steel. You blow your helmet's integrated whistle. The section charges forward, monomolecular spikes thrusting through tainted flesh and firing their weapons just before pulling back.

Yessss, a bayonet charge against a monstrous foe in the name of the Emperor! I love it!

"Vive L'Empereur!" You fire your volkite pistol as your Sub-Tercio echoes the war cry. The beam turns a mutant into an expanding red mist. With the flat of your power blade you stop a blow from a boarding axe, the disruptor field sparking partially against the axe. You slide your blade upwards, cutting through the metal haft. You kick the mutant back, feel your pistol chime to signal its recharge, and fire it at close range.

Very nice, good imagery on Napoleonic tactics and methods making a comeback due to the setting and how crazy it is.

The melee is brutal, but the second and third sections, led by Void Sergeants Amelié and Jeanne, have repositioned and are now firing into the melee, concentrating fire on the hole in the floor, unleashing a crossfire into the mass that breaks the charge. The wave breaks and the last mutant is shot as it peeks its head out over the lip.

Ah yes, flanking fire, anyone who's played a total war game knows just how devastating it can be, let alone anyone who's seen the records of battles IRL. Even with muskets, you'd have lines melting because they're getting pounded front and back.

"Fortify. Secure for advance." You repeat the objective, whistling the commands while making hand gestures and moving behind the line, keeping your soldiers moving. Just as the École spéciale militaire de Imperialis taught you. You can hear your Void Sergeants conveying your commands to the other sections.

Yup, this is going to be a battle of inches that's for sure.

You frown at one of the sergeants under Void Sergeant Jeanne's usage of Imperial Gothic in giving commands to his troops instead of Française. The gutter-snipe Jeanne should be teacher her men better. You make a note to report the sergean to the Academie Franç and have him caned once for each word as the Code Militaire dictates.

He dares not to use the greatest language in the world?! The Language that uses sevel vowels to say "Egg" And all of them WRONG!? Sacrilege!

[] Have the man shot on the spot

Nu, that's a great way to get your men to hate you and kill you.

[] Have him flogged as well for good measure.

Second verse, same as the first. Flogging is very much a shot punishment for the men watching it. If you're going to use it for an example, it needs to fit the crime.

[] Withhold his wine ration for three days. One for each word.

Fitting, although withholding a Franc's wine ration is asking for madness...might make him more effective in battle if we point him at the enemy while doing it though...

[] Downgrade his rations to nutrient paste for three days. One for each word.

Also a good balance, having to eat that...*sludge* would certainly be a memorable moment for any self respecting Franc.

Five minutes later, the full layout of the hangar becomes clear. The hangar is accessible through a main access corridor down which the Astartes disappeared. The first and second sections have the hallway under crossfire, while the Rapier is loaded with frag shells, even as the Phosphex pod is set down and kept at the ready.

Good, good, this should be doable for us to hold with our equipment with minimal troubles.

You glance to the far left, taking in the possible threat to your defence, The starboard wall is torn in a dozen places, patched up with sheet metal, dodgy welds, and glued with blobs of hardened mucus. Your combat engineers believe they can secure the side passages, but can make no guarantees.

Ew, definitely mutant patchwork, not sure we can or should rely on this being secure.

"Raise the Argent Heart" You command your Vox officer. He nods, adjusting the bulky equipment attached to his void armour, he makes a hand signal to confirm the signal is coming through. "Hangar Beta-Twenty is secure. Requesting reinforcements to secure the beachhead."

There is an audible click as the return signal is received. The Vox Officer's helmet betrays no emotion as he ensures your message is transmitted. "Acknowledged. Be advised. Sub-Cohort Gamma, Tercio Delta, has secured all sub-tercio objectives, and is the target of the primary landing. Reinforcements will arrive with the next available shuttle."

Ah futz, so we are behind. Not good. If we are to earn our way to Nobility then we need to do better and be faster, more efficient!

You nod in approval. The attack is proceeding well if the primary landing is already happening. Although a part of you is disappointed that you were unable to secure the honour of securing a landing space for the main assault.

"This is Squad Tertius. We require reinforcements. The mutant overseers have brought up heavy weapons and aberrant beasts. I am down three marines. Transmitting my coordinates."

Indeed, tis most sadge, but hey, looks like the Marines got in a pickle, losing...EIGHTY PERCENT?! They lost EIGHTY PERCENT of their squad, holy fuck on a stained glass window...okay we got shit to do.

Your helmet's heads up display shows a hololith of the station. The marines are far ahead of your positions, down labyrinthine passageways and forced into what looks like a dead end. Your orders are to hold the landing zone, but if the marines perish, it will look very badly on your record, and you will be the next target. Cogs turn as you calculate how fast you can get to the marines, and if you should just let them all get eaten or not.

Fuuuugh, so we can let them die but that would just hurt our relations in the future as well as leave us without any space marines in case we need someone big and stompy for big threats. Ngl, I'm for going after them because leaving them to die just feels like planting the seeds of them returning the favor.

If you are to aid the marines, then you'll need to leave before the reinforcements arrive. You glance at the starboard wall which is still being closed off further. The work looks solid. But you can't be completely sure it won't be breached. The surest path would be to send a section in and hold it at the point the side tunnels originate from.

So yeah, we're going to have to divide our forces and take risks unless we want to play it completely safe.

7th Verdyn Chemical engineers Cohort
Sub-Cohort Quintus
Tercio Primaris
Sub-Tercio Delta.

-First Lasrifle Section. You are in command of this Section.
-Second Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Amélie Beaufort
-Third Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Jeanne
-First Rapier Destroyer section
. Led by Sergeant Philip "Pip" Bernadotte
*Equipped with a quad mortar that can fire either frag shells or Destroyer Weaponry. Will use Frag Shells unless ordered to use Destroyer Weaponry. Uses the Destroyer Weapons trait.*

So this is our army, such as it is, four units one one of which is designed to say "To whom it may concern." with Phosphex love letters, noted!

Orders:Your orders are to hold the Hangar so it can be used as a landing site for troops moving into the habitat. Launching a pre-emptive attack on the mutants attacking the marines falls within those orders.

Okay, so at least we're not disobeying orders to do this. That's good.

[]Main Access:
You are defending a long hallway and numerous vents and other passages from the riled mutant population inhabiting the habitat. The firing lanes are good, but enough mutants can pass through that a single Section might not be able to hold the enemy at range alone.
-Write in which Sections you will deploy.

I'm thinking we leave the destroyers here so that way they can leverage their long ranged Phosphex cuddle bombs.

[]Starboard wall:
The starboard wall is littered with holes and passages, but these all originate from a central corridor. If you do not guard it, you will have to hope and trust in the barricades and barriers put up by your troops to keep the mutants out.
-Write in IF you will deploy troops and if so, how many.

Hmmm, i think leaving one group here just in case works, because if there is someone that comes out, we'll need to have them fall back to the destroyer section so that they can keep the vital location clear.

[]The Depths:
The Revenant Legion squads at the heart of the station have called for assistance, mentioning mutants with relic weapons capable of killing Astartes. A force sent to assist will not be able to aid in holding the main access corridor.
-Write in IF you will deploy sections if so, how many.

We go here with our troops and one other section, maybe Jeanne's section. This would be, functionally speaking, splitting our force into 2: Two sections holding the general area of the landing, 2 pulling the monster bois out of the fire.

When asked then if this meant he could not control his men, and should subject them to decimation, he laughed before viciously scolding the Tech-Magos who suggested this. "I will shoot the first man who tries to feed my men grox or slop, you wretched bag of oil and sad failure!"
"...I unclog my nose in your direction, child of a toaster! So, you think you could out-clever us Franc folk with your silly, knees-bent, running about, advancing behavior! I'll wave my private parts at your aunties you... greasy leather, second-hand, electric grox bottom biters!"

Tech Magos: "IN THE NAME OF THE OMNISSIAH, YOU WILL CONTROL YOUR MEN!"

Taunting Franc Legate Marshal: "No chance, Martian bed-wetting types! I burst my pimples at you and call your discipline request a silly ting! You... tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms!"

Malcador: *Trying and failing not to laugh*

I'm sorry this line of text had me scrambling for the Python.

Last edited:
Indeed, tis most sadge, but hey, looks like the Marines got in a pickle, losing...EIGHTY PERCENT?! They lost EIGHTY PERCENT of their squad, holy fuck on a stained glass window...okay we got shit to do.
I'm pretty sure the Sarge is saying he's lost three marines, not that he's only got three left.

[X] Withhold his wine ration for three days. One for each word.

[X] Plan: Rolling Stock
-[X] Main Access:
--[X] Second Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Amélie Beaufort
--[X] Third Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Jeanne
-[X] Starboard wall:
--[X] None
-[X] The Depths:
--[X] First Lasrifle Section. You are in command of this Section.
--[X] First Rapier Destroyer section. Led by Sergeant Philip "Pip" Bernadotte

Last edited:
[X] Give him the dignity to choose between nutrient paste or no Wine, he knows what he did wrong.

[X] Plan: Monstrous Magnificence
-[X] Main Access:
--[X] First Rapier Destroyer section. Led by Sergeant Philip "Pip" Bernadotte, they are use their Phosphex rounds to seal off sections if the press of mutants becomes a risk of taking the landing zone.
-[X]Starboard wall:
--[X] Second Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Amélie Beaufort, she is to keep watch on the wall, fall back to Rapier Section if press is too much or Rapier needs reinforcements.
-[X]The Depths:

--[X]First Lasrifle Section. You are in command of this Section, Third Lasrifle Section. Led by Void Sergeant Jeanne: Your force will go to the aid of the Space Marines, focus firing on any relic using Mutants and otherwise proving fire support to let the surviving Space Marines finish the mutants.

----------------

Logic of this plan

The Landing zone is too important to risk the enemy taking, and the destroyer section with its artillery can balance out the matter of the clear firing lanes, especially if we grant them leave to FIRE as it were.

Having a section at the walls allows them to act as flanking reinforcements for Rapier section if need be and ensure that the walls can be held against any mutant fuckery if they do try something. Worst comes to worst they can perform a fighting retreat to Rapier to hold until reinforcements come.

Sending Ourselves and Jeanne to the space marines works because we aren't the main focus of the scrum yet, so having our troops go in with the focus of taking out any relic using mutants, and large clumps will allow the space marines to take over the momentum.

I'm pretty sure the Sarge is saying he's lost three marines, not that he's only got three left.

Then you're wrong

"This is Squad Tertius. We require reinforcements. The mutant overseers have brought up heavy weapons and aberrant beasts. I am down three marines. Transmitting my coordinates."

"Down to three." I certainly hope the other 12 didn't take time for tea like the Emperor damned british.

Glad to be wrong, I wasn't sure if three Space Marines would last, still means we have little time to furk around.

Last edited:
Then i sit corrected, 20% isn't as catastrophic but still not good.

Yes it does, they're with us. I will edit as @Mayto might require but from the example, doesn't look like each section is meant to be separate.

Last edited:
[X] Give him the dignity to choose between nutrient paste or no Wine, he knows what he did wrong.
[X] Plan: Monstrous Magnificence

Last edited:
As Soldiers of Franc, the Verdyn Chemical Engineers are very demanding in their cuisine, much to the chagrin of everyone who has to work with them. They insist that fresh produce be transported from Terra in frozen storage, and that the ships that will transports them during the Great Crusade, make special arrangements to transport the Cohort's specialized growth vats of domestic design that include, and are not limited to: Cybernetic cloned cow udders producing copious quantities of milk, Egg Replication machines able to create a steady stream of eggs, wheat-synthesizer, a synth-wine replication machine, and growth vats that grow full animals for butchery so they can be butchered into traditional cuts. With this comes a comprehensive field kitchen that is run by the Cohort members.

This is so...Yes, all the yes. It's not just that they have to have good food, they have to have their good food, because nothing else will do. Not to mention they have to cook it themselves.

The Legate Marshals of the Franc Cohorts have ensured these changes go through by making their demands collectively, to the concern of some on the Imperial War Council, but according to hearsay, great amusement from Malcador the Sigilite.

Malcador probably has lived long enough to remember just how far back this stretches and yeah, I'd be amused too if one of their sticking points was a demand for French Cuisine.

To the particular disdain of the Jovians, the Franc officers corps regularly insist on bringing real cows and orchards with them on their interstellar expeditions, turning in-ship training areas into orchards and pasture, aquaponics, and requisitioning hydroponics bays for the growing of wheat and barley, and their own ration-repackaging systems. There is also the matter of the space taken up by the stations and staff whom process these foods, producing milk, butter, ice cream, and fresh baked bread.

Bah, spacers with paste numbed taste buds, they'd probably go into sensory overload trying to handle real food. Good food is vital to morale, and as such, no expense can be spared. If a man must face against horrors unimaginable, then let him do so with a full belly and a happy heart therein.

To the chagrin of the Mechanicus, although the Franc have the technology to provide their troops with a simple but efficient nutrient paste, the Franc insist on instead creating inefficient ingredients they then use for inefficient cooking, and to add insult to injury, the Franc refuse to allow any servitors involved with the food preparation process, not even for serving the troops.

How can you expect a corpseborg to handle cooking?! IT is a skill, an art, one that must be honed and trained for years. You cannot simply program a servitor to cook. Why, even letting them serve it can put a man off his meal if a bit of oil, or Emperor forefend, rotting meat, were to taint the dish. Twould drive a cook to despair!

When confronted on his insistence on feeding his troops such complex meals, the Legate Marshal of the 1st Pars Cohort responded by saying that his troops would kill him if he gave them cloned Grox meat or nutrient paste. When asked then if this meant he could not control his men, and should subject them to decimation, he laughed before viciously scolding the Tech-Magos who suggested this. "I will shoot the first man who tries to feed my men grox or slop, you wretched bag of oil and sad failure!"

That they would kill him for such poor rations is not a sign of their poor control, but that they are such fireblooded Francs that they hold even their highest of command to the same standards that all true Francishmen and women must stay true to. For what are we fighting for if not to ensure that our culture, our way of life, in which the very sustenance we take is so important?

Those with the minds of calculators gone made from tech manual nursery rhymes cannot fathom what a sane man will do in order to have a good meal.

Attempts to appeal to the Franc Legislature to rein in their Legate Marshals led to a unanimous denouncement across the aisle, resulting in a letter signed by 118 of the 150 representatives of the Franc government, declaring that the nutritional needs of their troops were 'of paramount importance'. All but ten of the representatives who did not sign the petition to the Imperial Palace would lose their next election, of whom two were absent for the vote.

As well they should!

Back