Self-Insert Idea Thread

Something to consider:

While the obvious choice to send the Ashen One to are the super-friendly worlds (i.e. MLP, Teletubbies, little kids' saturday cartoon worlds), I'd suggest sending him to a world where there's a clearly defined Bad Guy to fight against (Star Wars, Power Rangers, He-Man...). That will give him something to fight against, where people will praise him for doing so... and the crowd's shock if he strikes someone down for grabbing his shoulder will be that much greater.

Something to consider:

While the obvious choice to send the Ashen One to are the super-friendly worlds (i.e. MLP, Teletubbies, little kids' saturday cartoon worlds), I'd suggest sending him to a world where there's a clearly defined Bad Guy to fight against (Star Wars, Power Rangers, He-Man...). That will give him something to fight against, where people will praise him for doing so... and the crowd's shock if he strikes someone down for grabbing his shoulder will be that much greater.

Ah, but does the Ashen One know who is Good and who is Evil?

Does the Ashen One care about doing the right thing?
Not one bit.

What if the villain got to him first?

What if Rita Repulsa ordered him to kill these Rangers of Power?
Would he refuse? Did you refuse any requests when you played Dark Souls?

I bet you didn't.

You attacked Gwynevere.
You attacked Crossbreed Priscilla.
You pierced Anri in the head.
You didn't think twice to kill Hawkwood for his Twinkling Dragon Head Stone.
You hunted for tongues, no matter the owner.

But you also gave up Humanity for The Fair Lady
You did your best to help Solaire find his sun.
You saved Greirat from the sewers.
You rescued Siegward from the dungeons.
You retrieved the ears of sinners.

And you let the Painted World burn.
You killed the Lords one after another.
And in the end, you made the choice to let the fire Fade.

You could have done nothing.
But in the end, all you did was act on the first thing in front of you.

Which is one of the many interactions I would like ROB to have with the Ashen One.

Hmm...I kinda feel like the Ashen One's going to be something akin to a mix between Archer!Emiya and Kiritsugu, while the ROB's going to be the Irisviel, trying to get the Ashen One to lighten up and ease up.

Hmm...I kinda feel like the Ashen One's going to be something akin to a mix between Archer!Emiya and Kiritsugu, while the ROB's going to be the Irisviel, trying to get the Ashen One to lighten up and ease up.

Well you're not wrong thinking in that direction...

Though I haven't really thought of a base personality for the ROB yet. Could be anything as long as it compliments the Ashen One.

As for the Ashen One, I'd like to think of him as empty, rather than filled with regret like EMIYA or goal focused like Kiri.

Like I said, a man looking for a place to die.

Hmm, got any specific world to send Ashy to planned out?

And about the problem of sending Ashy to worlds where there's a definite evil, and a definite good, why not just drop him right in the good guy HQ, to ensure that the first people he'll meet will be the good guys.

Or, to give a more specific example, drop the Ashen one right in front of Penny or Ruby, who'll probably try their damnest to make him smile, or at least be a constant source of positivity and innocence to the Ashen One?

Then again, I don't know shite about Dark Souls, aside from that the main idea is to throw your head against the proverbial wall, until said wall breaks.

Hmm, got any specific world to send Ashy to planned out?

And about the problem of sending Ashy to worlds where there's a definite evil, and a definite good, why not just drop him right in the good guy HQ, to ensure that the first people he'll meet will be the good guys.

Or, to give a more specific example, drop the Ashen one right in front of Penny or Ruby, who'll probably try their damnest to make him smile, or at least be a constant source of positivity and innocence to the Ashen One?

Then again, I don't know shite about Dark Souls, aside from that the main idea is to throw your head against the proverbial wall, until said wall breaks.

Well, wouldn't that just be lazy?

I mean, yeah I can understand the logic, but will the Ashen One actually undergo character development without things going bad?

In the end ROB will have to leave the Ashen One alone, so ROB must be sure that the Ashen One can handle things himself.

And of course there's the whole 'I'm from another world' thing that's going to be a hassle to explain every single world.
Which is why if I'm ever going to write this, I'll try my best to steer conversation away from topics like that.

Eh, fair point, but is there any in-story reason for the Random OMNIPOTENT Being not to drop Ashy into a situation where everyone around him is quite clearly a good guy?

Probably not.

Haha, well at least you helped me brainstorm.

But now I have like four other stories in my head, all involving Dark Souls.

I should really stop thinking and start typing.

Tomorrow, it's late.

Haha, well at least you helped me brainstorm.
In general, "ROB" is story cancer. As I said several months ago in this very thread:

If the ROB has characterization, then it's no longer a random omnipotent being. If it has to put effort into doing something, then it's not longer a random omnipotent being.

You should write a Specific Powerful Being instead. Call it an SPB, or (better yet) by its name and/or epithets.
Don't write a ROB. Write a character.

Ah, but does the Ashen One know who is Good and who is Evil?

Does the Ashen One care about doing the right thing?
Not one bit.
This part of the post was exactly what I meant. The bits after about 'Doing whatever X asks you to, damn the consequences' is a different thread than what I had assumed, though - but I see your point. Even if I didn't play like that, nor have gotten far enough for that kind of thing (cough caprademon cough).

Given that the SI in question killed their fire keeper, I'm assuming that the Ashen One doesn't care about their relationships with others, only the power they can get; So, using Star Wars as an example, I can see the Ashen One walking through the middle of a fight between Stormtroopers and Rebels on the way to deliver a datachip to Jabba the Hutt, cutting down anyone who tries to blast him.

Reincarnation SI in worm with full memory and cognition in the womb who triggers, multiple times, from the horror of what actually happens in the womb.

... The point being to be pointlessly squicky and or mary sue, going by this description?
Nah, just ran into a bunch of those recently and was a bit annoyed by that... trope? Like a bit of a gimmick to put that trope to bed for good. Or at least explain why it's stupid.

A few lines of vague but emotionally charged description followed by [destination]
[agreement]
[trajectory]
[agreement]
several times, focusing the story on how the full experience of such a thing, including the later experience of an adult mind being a recovering vegetable that is infancy, and the experience of being under someone's thumb that is childhood minus the wonder of discovery or friendship with mental peers, followed by the social Darwinist experience of school (or the life of a runaway) would make for a horrendously fucked up individual. Then give that person scary levels of power. At that point we see if there is an honest way back to sanity and humanity despite also being in worm. Perhaps start in media res later on so the horrors of such things only need to be covered briefly.

Last edited:
Nah, just ran into a bunch of those recently and was a bit annoyed by that... trope? Like a bit of a gimmick to put that trope to bed for good. Or at least explain why it's stupid.

A few lines of vague but emotionally charged description followed by [destination]
[agreement]
[trajectory]
[agreement]
several times, focusing the story on how the full experience of such a thing, including the later experience of an adult mind being a recovering vegetable that is infancy, and the experience of being under someone's thumb that is childhood minus the wonder of discovery or friendship with mental peers, followed by the social Darwinist experience of school (or the life of a runaway) would make for a horrendously fucked up individual. Then give that person scary levels of power. At that point we see if there is an honest way back to sanity and humanity despite also being in worm. Perhaps start in media res later on so the horrors of such things only need to be covered briefly.
Well, for starters, this suggests to me you are working off bad fanon- second triggering is not a straight power up, by canon, and it's also not endlessly repeatable. It's supposed to be a sidegrade (and require worse circumstances than the original, as I recall) so multiple triggers wouldn't actually lead to some kind of 'is super cape'.

Well, for starters, this suggests to me you are working off bad fanon- second triggering is not a straight power up, by canon, and it's also not endlessly repeatable. It's supposed to be a sidegrade (and require worse circumstances than the original, as I recall) so multiple triggers wouldn't actually lead to some kind of 'is super cape'.
I was under the impression that it removed limitations and restrictions on access to the shard's abilities. As their sensory systems become more developed the experience becomes worse and worse leading to almost unrestricted access to the shard's abilities. And severe, almost catatonia inducing levels of trauma. With no idea what is actually going on the SI may deduce that they are in hell.

I thought it might be an interesting way to deconstruct this trope, examining the real implications of such a thing, but it's sounding less interesting than it seemed in my head.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that it removed limitations and restrictions on access to the shard's abilities. As their sensory systems become more developed the experience becomes worse and worse leading to almost unrestricted access to the shard's abilities. And severe, almost catatonia inducing levels of trauma.
To my admittedly incomplete knowledge we see one second trigger in detail;

13.10 said:
He shook his head, but he didn't offer another explanation.
"Can I ask about the new power, or-"
"Yeah," he interrupted.
There was a pause. I saw him raise his hand and create a slithering mass of darkness around it.
"Feels different," he said, "And I can tell where it is, more. Slower to create, spreads faster."
"But the other powers? I counted at least four."
"One new ability."
I nodded. Didn't want to argue, so I waited.
From the other end of the couch, he raised one hand and pointed it towards my head. I stayed utterly still as a tendril of darkness snaked through the air, taking its time as it approached.
I stood up, abruptly, and he jumped to his feet in alarm. I could see his hands clenched, lines standing out in his neck.
An awkward, tense silence reigned, as we stood facing each other.
I waited until he'd relaxed before I spoke. "Had a bad time with someone else trying to get into my head, not so long ago. Um. Can we- can we just skip the demonstration? Or make it more blunt?"
"Right." It was like a shadow had passed over his face. He stared hard at the shuttered window at the end of the room.
I sat down, pulling my knees up in front of me so I could wrap my arms around my legs, and I waited for him to rejoin me. He'd healed himself, but he hadn't exactly bounced back. It wouldn't be right to expect him to. Was this the kind of interaction Tattletale had wanted to avoid, when she'd urged Aisha to go to Brian, instead of me?
"I've talked to Tattletale about this. My power's always had some effect on capes like Shadow Stalker. Her powers didn't work as effectively in my darkness."
"Velocity struggled, too. He was slower, but I wasn't sure if it was because of the increased air resistance or something else."
"Yeah. So we think I always had some effect in that department. That's stronger now. Affects more powers, according to Tattletale. She's making an educated guess that this aspect of my power is going to be more effective on capes with a physical power."
"Right."
"And when it works, I feel… a circuit? It's like the darkness comes alive, a cord or wire between me and the people in my darkness, and I can actually see it. If I focus on it, it gets bright and hot, and I have access to whatever my power's sapping from them. A fraction of a power, one power at a time."
"So the healing?"
"Othala. I was so worried she'd escape my darkness before I finished giving you guys regeneration. I couldn't just use her power on each of you, because it was only lasting a few seconds after I touched you."
"And the regeneration was… Crawler?"
He nodded. I could see that dark look pass over his face.
"And then the duplicate you created would have been Genesis."
He shook his head. "No."
"No?"
"She wasn't in my darkness, I'm almost positive. And my power's weaker than whatever I'm stealing. It doesn't make sense that I was able to form myself as fast as I did. It wasn't like she's described it, either. Remember, I worked with her when we were dismantling the ABB."
I nodded.
"It was more like… a forcefield. Except not. A hole in reality, and it took something out of me to feed and shape itself."

Bolded the most relevant bit. Grue's darkness, for all the improvements, is slower to create after he second triggers. How much slower is unclear, but the ability isn't purely improved, even aside the 'more fucked mental state' aspect. But no, as far as I'm aware none of what you are saying is true, and, again, it's a sidegrade. A favorable sidegrade, probably, but not an upgrade even if you ignore mental type issues.

Bolded the most relevant bit. Grue's darkness, for all the improvements, is slower to create after he second triggers. How much slower is unclear, but the ability isn't purely improved, even aside the 'more fucked mental state' aspect. But no, as far as I'm aware none of what you are saying is true, and, again, it's a sidegrade. A favorable sidegrade, probably, but not an upgrade even if you ignore mental type issues.
So, basically it's a game of russian roulette, except that the revolver is loaded with different add-ons that might either help a lot, help a little, change things, or fuck you up, that about right?

Also, yeah, haven't really read Worm, so I can't really offer any help in regards of the Triggerings, but yeah, if the SI is fully 100% conscious even in the womb, then yeah, I'd say there'd be some mental scarring, especially once you're popped out, and you're covered in blood, so ehh, might cause a Trigger event.

And if it does cause the SI to Trigger, then I think that might cause the SI to be somewhat of a celebrity, since I don't think the canon has someone who Triggered upon being born.

Although that might also draw some bad attention, especially if the SI's powers are pretty strong, or really useful.

So, basically it's a game of russian roulette, except that the revolver is loaded with different add-ons that might either help a lot, help a little, change things, or fuck you up, that about right?
Triggering is supposed to basically give you superpowers that superficially solve your problems but actually entrench them- so you get physical powers for physical threats and mind control powers for social threats type of thing, with the caveat that the whole 'is supposed to entrench your problems;' thing means between mental effects and how they work they probably won't actually be a perfect solution.

While it's not explicitly stated anywhere, to my knowledge, I believe second triggers take your existing powers and apply the same problem solving paradigm- this would be why they often remove limits, if I'm right. Because that limit being lifted bailed you out. Looking at Grue, the Second Trigger we see directly, he second triggers while... well, nailed to a wall and incapable of acting physically, to keep it short. He goes from being able to generate sense blocking darkness that is sorta mildly disruptive to some powers to it still blocking senses but now also siphoning other cape's powers- by 'coincidence', this gets him, under the initial circumstances, a power that projects a forcefield clone thing that looks like him (letting him intervene in the immediate cause of his distress), a regeneration power to recover from that, and a healing power to fix the damage to his allies.

Just like a normal trigger event, it bails him out of the specific bad spot he is in.

And actually, thinking more on it, the way trigger events work, even assuming you could trigger in the womb, that would probably count as an environmental threat (which tends to yield powers, naturally, for affecting your environment) which would tend to imply a power that protects you from said environment (possibly with lethal consequences to the mother), which is a central problem with the idea- powers are targeted to solve the immediate problem in a sort of idiot savant way.

Ergo, they would 'solve' the 'horrors of the womb' in a way that might be entirely unpalatable to you or I, but would end the ongoing situation.

And actually, thinking more on it, the way trigger events work, even assuming you could trigger in the womb, that would probably count as an environmental threat (which tends to yield powers, naturally, for affecting your environment) which would tend to imply a power that protects you from said environment (possibly with lethal consequences to the mother), which is a central problem with the idea- powers are targeted to solve the immediate problem in a sort of idiot savant way.

Ergo, they would 'solve' the 'horrors of the womb' in a way that might be entirely unpalatable to you or I, but would end the ongoing situation.
Aaaand now I'm getting some "Alien" flashbacks, the belly of the pregnant mother bursting wide open.

But yeah, the kind of power I'm thinking would form would be something akin to a barrier, or a blast that's meant to, well, bust open "cages", that about right? And unless I remember wrong, that would classify as a...blaster, I believed to be the term for long range, pew pew-type abilities?

Aaaand now I'm getting some "Alien" flashbacks, the belly of the pregnant mother bursting wide open.

But yeah, the kind of power I'm thinking would form would be something akin to a barrier, or a blast that's meant to, well, bust open "cages", that about right? And unless I remember wrong, that would classify as a...blaster, I believed to be the term for long range, pew pew-type abilities?
Inasmuch as the classification system is coherent (I have low opinions of it, but that's another topic), energy barriers and other wide area environmental type effects are 'Shaker' powers (which, if I recall correctly, are supposed to be caused by generally hostile physical environments) while long range attacks are Blaster regardless of other details.

Of course, individual powers can fall under multiple categories.

Player characters, the self inserts of a RP, are traveling on islands in the Astral Plane of a Fantasy Setting such as Dungeons and Dragons. They are embued by various powers from The ROB.

To my admittedly incomplete knowledge we see one second trigger in detail;

Where I got my information from:

WOG said:
As a general rule, the second trigger effectively breaks down walls or limits that were in place prior. - Wildbow on Spacebattles

Venom 29.7 said:
What information do you desire, Weaver? What insights on the entity could win this for us?"

I swallowed.

"Second Triggers," I said.

The Doctor frowned. "Too many people have come to me about that. It's a promise of more power that manifests just often enough to tantalize, infrequently enough to leave countless disappointed."

"What is it?" I asked.

"When powers manifest, they come with safeguards. The same programmed safeguards that I seek to circumvent or ignore with these foreign agents." She tapped the desk. "The agent, the power, seeks to protect the host, so it prevents the host from harming itself. It's a crude measure, one the agent applied with broad, general strokes. Not every agent can receive individual attention, and the ones that do, I believe, were more hampered than not. With the second trigger, the agent reaches out, makes contact with others, networks and draws on collective information to refine the restrictions and save its host."

"Is it always around other parahumans, then?"

"Not always, but frequently. Circumstances tend to mirror the original trigger event. The resulting power ignores restrictions that were previously set."

The shaking of the machine began to slow.

"You're involved with a lot of powerful parahumans," I said. "Do you have a means of causing second triggers?"

"We've done it for several clients in the past, with varying degrees of success. Because of the time it takes, and the arrangements involved, we put a high premium on it. We've had more clients die trying to collect the funds for this premium than we've had clients go through with the procedure," she said.

"A catch twenty-two, if you will," the Number Man said. "If you're powerful enough to have the necessary funds, then you don't need a second trigger to thrive. If you need a second trigger, you lack the funds."

"I get the feeling you didn't devote much attention to this," Golem said. "Why not?"

"Because reducing the restrictions that are in place only gives us a power that has less restrictions, when we need powers with none"

On the other hand you're mostly right

"Another WOG" said:
Generally the trigger cause fits in the same general category. Brian had his second trigger for much the same reason he had his first. They can differ in nature. What's happening is that the entity is drawing from context and exploring/conceptualizing new uses for the powers (which are still in the metaphorical computer's memory, but not in the hardware that burned out in the trigger process). The entity begins splitting off, ready to find a generally young & similar host to target (piggybacking off the parent's context & experience for an easier triggering process/analysis) but then a major event prompts it to catalyze and consolidate in the current host instead.

If it's in an adult before finding its way to the child, it can begin this splitting-off process (generally requiring time or a degree of stress to allow for the maturation).

They are exceedingly rare (two noted in-story. Taylor didn't second-trigger in the last arc, to be clear), and generally speaking they do more harm than good. If it's a straight power-up, you're probably doing it wrong. - Wildbow on Spacebattles

In as much as the classification system is coherent (I have low opinions of it, but that's another topic), energy barriers and other wide area environmental type effects are 'Shaker' powers (which, if I recall correctly, are supposed to be caused by generally hostile physical environments) while long range attacks are Blaster regardless of other details.

Of course, individual powers can fall under multiple categories.
So, this'd have both Shaker and Blaster rankings?

But yeah,Tactical Tunic, what kind of power did you have in mind?

Also, who here have watched Aldnoah. Zero, and read Eyes in Seed? Well, I have a little fic idea that's been brewing in my head, and I'd like to hear you guys' opinion on it.

Head Height:
-21.4 m (Ground Mode)
-24.8 m (Normal Mode)

Base Weight:
-60.9 t

Power Source:
-GN Drive

Armor Material:
-E-Carbon

Propulsion System:-
GN Vernier

Crew: