Self-Insert Idea Thread

How about a bitter S.I. that rants all about the pathetic dense MC's and decides to kill them?

-=oOo=-
A teenage boy with short dark brown hair is standing on the side of the road near a phone booth, it is sunny and everything seems all right when the siren blared. He was about to run towards the nearest shelter when he got distracted by a girl with light blue hair, when a giant white feet blocked his view with a bang.

He looked up with trepidation at the colossal monster walked past by, shocking him to the core.

His shock was replaced with worry as he suddenly remembered the girl from before but as he looked back at the same spot and found neither girl nor gore. Shaking his head, worrying for his sanity, he decided to move once more.

Looking at the road he saw a red low rider headed towards his direction.

The car slowed down and he finally saw who was inside, a man with a disarming smile

"Are you Ikari Shinji?" the man asked with a wry smile

"Yes, that's me" Shinji answered feeling relieved that this might be the person to take him to his father and wondering about the woman in the picture, he was going to ask about her...

BANG!

Shinji was shocked by loud sound until he coughed out blood and looked down his chest and he saw blood spreading through his white shirt, as different emotions ran through his mind. He looked towards the man and froze as he saw him holding a gun pointed at him and finally realized that he was shot by the man.

Finally his leg gave out on him and he fell on his back, his body weak and getting cold, his eyes asking why.

Shinji laid there slowly withering away as the man got out of the car, walked to the back of his car and opened up the trunk. The man took out a white plastic container as he opened it while walking towards Shinji.

Standing over Shinji the man looked directly at Shinji's inquiring eyes

"Sorry kid, it's just that I hate you and I specially hate your father but I know that you have already accepted your death and I know all about your suicidal thoughts" the man answered him like he was speaking about the weather. Lifting up the white container, he started dumping its contents all over Shinji's body

"If you are wondering about what am I pouring all over you, let's just say I am dissolving you, would not want your father to clone you or something now would we?, tehee ;P" said the man to Shinji, pretending to be a cute school girl

Tehee!? tehee your mother you psycho tehee your whole family, was the last thoughts of Shinji as he died and started to dissolve into nothingness.

-=oOo=-

Cruising away from the crime scene the man was thankful he met up with an old man named Rick first to get that meltaliquid in exchange for some crystals... crystal meth that is.

In this particular case, murdering Shinji Ikari really does solve most of the large scale problems. He's actually pretty devastatingly important to Instrumentality, in most of the versions of the series. If nothing else, Gendo would likely immediately stop playing along because his reason for assisting with Third Impact has just been removed from the situation, as Shinji is the only one able to pilot Unit 01...Do note that I'm working off a blurred-together mess of different versions of Evangelion, because keeping them straight is spectacularly hard. Just know that there's at least one version where killing Shinji really does prevent Third Impact. Might doom humanity because SEELE are a massive bag of dicks and might break NERV and similar institutions because their plan failed, but it does stop Third Impact.

And this is why jumpchain adding fanfic jump options was controversial: because people were worried that SI writers would get offended at jumpchainers writing stories about SI's getting brutally murdered.

But the only reason that would've been an issue is because of morally and socially horrible SI's in the first place.

Except he's not killing him because of his problems, he's killing him because he thinks its fun and hates Shinji.

Also, it is quite creepy that the story recognizes that a man is pretending to be a teenage girl.

One, the edge is slippery and dulled to a certain point.
Two, might as well since I am lazy
Three, hypocrisy exist in everything, the bashing won't be necessary as long as the cast don't go ooc but stay true to their character without fan bias or fan delusions of what they think that character should have the personality and behavior of.
Four, I fell off the edge a long time ago that all I hear are the shouts of angry marines.

One, no, that is some nanomolecular edge you had there.
Two, I'm not actually the type of person to slam fanfic for grammar...
Three, there's hypocrisy and then there's being Pharisee McPhariseeman from Phariseeville, in the United States of Aphariseeca, on Planet Pharisee in the Pharisee Galaxy in the Hypocrisyverse. This point isn't actually relevant, I was just having fun with it. But seriously, if you're just going to go around murdering characters you don't like, then its by default a shit story because you're doing nothing but bashing and bashing isn't that fun when its all thats holding a story together.
Four, no, you're literally walking on a monomolecular edge.

Seriously, just... there's no real excuse to ever kill an average loner teenager by shooting them in the chest then disolving them in acid.

Last edited:
Seriously, just... there's no real excuse to ever kill an average loner teenager by shooting them in the chest then disolving them in acid.

Unless its Hitler or some other individual that will one day in the future cause mass harm or destruction, Like Megatron or Emperor Palpatine.

Edit: I realize this argument has flaws however it is still an important discussion topic for time travel fics or SI's with foreknowledge.

Last edited:
Unless its Hitler or some other individual that will one day in the future cause mass harm or destruction, Like Megatron or Emperor Palpatine.

Edit: I realize this argument has flaws however it is still an important discussion topic for time travel fics or SI's with foreknowledge.
... No? That still doesn't justify jumping straight to horrifically killing them. It presupposes a kind of double-fatedness, where they are both guaranteed to go evil, and irreplaceable for their role. You are condemning someone to death for things they haven't even done without even trying to fix their situation, to set them on a better life path, and assuming it's a fix, rather than that a replacement will rise.

There are, sure, times where a charismatic leader creates a cause, but often they merely rise to the top of a popular, like-minded group.

So. You kill Megatron. Someone else takes his place. You've now murdered an innocent (robot)man 'for the greater good', without even trying a path other than murder, and not even accomplished your goal.

Moreover, even from such a Greater Good perspective, the death should be made as clean and pleasant as possible- after all, you are killing an innocent as a necessary evil, right? Vindictive torture death over misplaced blame can not be justified as 'pragmatism'.

... No? That still doesn't justify jumping straight to horrifically killing them. It presupposes a kind of double-fatedness, where they are both guaranteed to go evil, and irreplaceable for their role. You are condemning someone to death for things they haven't even done without even trying to fix their situation, to set them on a better life path, and assuming it's a fix, rather than that a replacement will rise.

There are, sure, times where a charismatic leader creates a cause, but often they merely rise to the top of a popular, like-minded group.

So. You kill Megatron. Someone else takes his place. You've now murdered an innocent (robot)man 'for the greater good', without even trying a path other than murder, and not even accomplished your goal.

Moreover, even from such a Greater Good perspective, the death should be made as clean and pleasant as possible- after all, you are killing an innocent as a necessary evil, right? Vindictive torture death over misplaced blame can not be justified as 'pragmatism'.
These leaders were usually the only thing that elevates these groups to the threats they become. You kill them and while a new leader may arise they will not have the same charisma, passion, or supernatural powers that the original had. For palpatine killing Darth Plagius would be a possible work around and megatron was always evil. As for torture deaths a normal assassin would be pragmatic about doing the deed, but a victim or someone deeply affected by their actions would probably be more... emotional while doing the deed.

GAH.

I've had this plot bunny bouncing around in my head and taking up brain space, of a multicross SI that is pushed towards transhumanism far faster than he'd like and is pushed outside of his comfort zone to the point that he loses his humanity. The sticking point in my head is how they become a gene-modded cyborg.

Thing is, just a general "Transhuman" theme is too broad. It needs to be narrowed down in some way, like pure genetic evolution through consumption a-la primal zerg or some shit. But I still want to keep the whole genemodded cyborg bit. I just lack a good solid core to build his evolution / transhumanism around.

Like how Megaman sucks at melee comparatively, and always gains new primarily ranged weapons when he beats bosses that are limited by ammo and he can charge up, or how Zero from the X series has a Z buster, but is primarily focused around his saber and utilizing it in new and interesting elementally based techniques based on the enemies he defeats. Or how Sora from Kingdom Hearts has the keyblade, but basically all of his attacks / techniques are either movement based, or pushed through the keyblade (magic) as pure energy (Explosion, energy trails, etc) or just straight superhuman badassery, nothing inhuman.

I'm looking for something to build this SI idea around, some sort of strong core trait / ability / system. It's just a good practice to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nanites/Second Personor thing to provide surgery.

He also could be a technomutant with the ability to absorb tech.

These leaders were usually the only thing that elevates these groups to the threats they become. You kill them and while a new leader may arise they will not have the same charisma, passion, or supernatural powers that the original had. For palpatine killing Darth Plagius would be a possible work around and megatron was always evil. As for torture deaths a normal assassin would be pragmatic about doing the deed, but a victim or someone deeply affected by their actions would probably be more... emotional while doing the deed.
Great, sure. This is the self insert idea thread. Saying that killing a character you previously knew as fictional in a significantly vindictive manner, both intentionally making the kill non-clean and mocking them while spewing how much you hate them, as is the case that brought this up, can't really be justified as anything good.

Not only that, but we ain't talking about Palpatine. Again,

How about a bitter S.I. that rants all about the pathetic dense MC's and decides to kill them?

-=oOo=-
A teenage boy with short dark brown hair is standing on the side of the road near a phone booth, it is sunny and everything seems all right when the siren blared. He was about to run towards the nearest shelter when he got distracted by a girl with light blue hair, when a giant white feet blocked his view with a bang.

He looked up with trepidation at the colossal monster walked past by, shocking him to the core.

His shock was replaced with worry as he suddenly remembered the girl from before but as he looked back at the same spot and found neither girl nor gore. Shaking his head, worrying for his sanity, he decided to move once more.

Looking at the road he saw a red low rider headed towards his direction.

The car slowed down and he finally saw who was inside, a man with a disarming smile

"Are you Ikari Shinji?" the man asked with a wry smile

"Yes, that's me" Shinji answered feeling relieved that this might be the person to take him to his father and wondering about the woman in the picture, he was going to ask about her...

BANG!

Shinji was shocked by loud sound until he coughed out blood and looked down his chest and he saw blood spreading through his white shirt, as different emotions ran through his mind. He looked towards the man and froze as he saw him holding a gun pointed at him and finally realized that he was shot by the man.

Finally his leg gave out on him and he fell on his back, his body weak and getting cold, his eyes asking why.

Shinji laid there slowly withering away as the man got out of the car, walked to the back of his car and opened up the trunk. The man took out a white plastic container as he opened it while walking towards Shinji.

Standing over Shinji the man looked directly at Shinji's inquiring eyes

"Sorry kid, it's just that I hate you and I specially hate your father but I know that you have already accepted your death and I know all about your suicidal thoughts" the man answered him like he was speaking about the weather. Lifting up the white container, he started dumping its contents all over Shinji's body

"If you are wondering about what am I pouring all over you, let's just say I am dissolving you, would not want your father to clone you or something now would we?, tehee ;P" said the man to Shinji, pretending to be a cute school girl

Tehee!? tehee your mother you psycho tehee your whole family, was the last thoughts of Shinji as he died and started to dissolve into nothingness.

-=oOo=-

Cruising away from the crime scene the man was thankful he met up with an old man named Rick first to get that meltaliquid in exchange for some crystals... crystal meth that is.

This is what raised the argument I the first place. The star wars equivalent would be something like murdering Anakin or Padme, and making it a torture kill, to foil Palpatine's plans. Supposedly.

The horrific murder of someone who won't even become evil, even if you assume predestination.

These leaders were usually the only thing that elevates these groups to the threats they become. You kill them and while a new leader may arise they will not have the same charisma, passion, or supernatural powers that the original had.
And yet the allies decided not to assassinate Hitler during the end of WWII because he was being stupid and interfering with the ability of his generals to do their own jobs. Martyrs are a thing. Yes, killing someone before they get involved in the movement is one thing, but let's take Hitler as an example: people think Hitler was smart because he managed to take a country full of destitute people who were forced to accept blame for WWI, and whip them up into a genocidal, world-conquering frenzy. Germany was gasoline-soaked straw waiting for a match then. Anti-sematism was already there, and Hitler just told the masses what they wanted to hear.
Kill Hitler and someone worse would have taken his place. Misattributing an entire movement to a single person is pretending that they had more reach, influence, and power than they actually had.

If the Borg nanites aren't operating under his control and he has very limited ability to control them, is that appropriate for this?

Yeah, pretty much. Given how dangerous you're probably going to be making it for me I'd expect some augmentation to start happening through the rest of his body (as the nanites were modified to only do things to other borg nanoprobes and damage, so they're not continuously assimilating him) as he gets injured all over. So he starts by losing his arm and that's why it's the most heavily augmented section of his body.
That could work. Ima pencil that in as a possibility.

Another suggestion I've gotten was "tentacles", unironically mind. Like, robotentacles that are used for cables, ports, shock prods, mechadendrites, mind-jacks, etc. Another was "Regeneration", but that wasn't enough of an active thing to build around.

Nanites/Second Personor thing to provide surgery.

He also could be a technomutant with the ability to absorb tech.
Ah, misunderstanding slightly. I'm more trying to figure out how the various abilities, magics, and technology are expressed. Like, every time he goes to a new universe / world, the abilities he gains are focused through the lens of XYZ.

The Lens of XYZ being something like a gun arm, or the robotentacles that Plotvitalnpc suggested or as "sword techniques" the way that Zero from Megaman X adapts. It doesn't matter if it's magic, enchanted, psionic, or whatever. The key point here is the focused usage of new abilities as opposed to just "ALL THE THINGS IN EVERY WAY". Like, if the Gun-Arm version got the Force, it'd be expressed as a shockwave blast, a laser blade, and a lightning gun using a Sith Alchemical construct to focus it or some shit.

Stop: HOW ABOUT NO?
Shinji was shocked at the murder fantasies.
how about no? Badly done hatefics written purely for the purpose of graphically murdering characters you don't like is pretty specifically against the rules here. 'Don't talk about how great it would be if someone was raped, tortured, maimed, etc.' and 'Revenge fantasies (Internet Tough Guy-ing) - whether against fictional groups, like the Na'vi, or against real groups, like the Taliban - are unacceptable.' are right there under Rule 2.

And that one was terrible. It's bad enough when people do them for the villains of pieces, like Space Hitler of Zeon, or Game of Thrones characters. It's just bizarre when people do it to an abused kid for not being 'tough enough'.

So @neobenm, have 25 points and three days out from the thread to think about why that was a bad idea, and don't do it again.

That could work. Ima pencil that in as a possibility.

Another suggestion I've gotten was "tentacles", unironically mind. Like, robotentacles that are used for cables, ports, shock prods, mechadendrites, mind-jacks, etc. Another was "Regeneration", but that wasn't enough of an active thing to build around.

Ah, misunderstanding slightly. I'm more trying to figure out how the various abilities, magics, and technology are expressed. Like, every time he goes to a new universe / world, the abilities he gains are focused through the lens of XYZ.

The Lens of XYZ being something like a gun arm, or the robotentacles that Plotvitalnpc suggested or as "sword techniques" the way that Zero from Megaman X adapts. It doesn't matter if it's magic, enchanted, psionic, or whatever. The key point here is the focused usage of new abilities as opposed to just "ALL THE THINGS IN EVERY WAY". Like, if the Gun-Arm version got the Force, it'd be expressed as a shockwave blast, a laser blade, and a lightning gun using a Sith Alchemical construct to focus it or some shit.
One way would be something like a cursed sword/armor that makes it so that you can become stronger, but you'll be built to use that sword/armor more efficiently.

Say a super big curse sword of Adaption. Everytime you invoke it's power you get an adaption that will solve that problem, but that would also make you a better murder hobo.

A Friend or Foe Identication, Hud Display, Stronger body, etc so on and so forth. The specifics would be dependant on what would best generate conflict but I'm mostly sure that's a good tool,?

Great, sure. This is the self insert idea thread. Saying that killing a character you previously knew as fictional in a significantly vindictive manner, both intentionally making the kill non-clean and mocking them while spewing how much you hate them, as is the case that brought this up, can't really be justified as anything good.

Not only that, but we ain't talking about Palpatine. Again,

This is what raised the argument I the first place. The star wars equivalent would be something like murdering Anakin or Padme, and making it a torture kill, to foil Palpatine's plans. Supposedly.

The horrific murder of someone who won't even become evil, even if you assume predestination.
Oh I'm not defending the hate fic, Shinji already gets tortured enough in canon, its just since the beginning of time travel stories and SI fics the question is always raised about killing a certain character in order to prevent *insert plot point*. It would be a more interesting story if the angel accidentally stepped on Shinji and the other characters have to adapt to the new situation rather then murdering a 14 year old boy for not handling abandonment issues, PTSD, and abuse very well.

And yet the allies decided not to assassinate Hitler during the end of WWII because he was being stupid and interfering with the ability of his generals to do their own jobs. Martyrs are a thing. Yes, killing someone before they get involved in the movement is one thing, but let's take Hitler as an example: people think Hitler was smart because he managed to take a country full of destitute people who were forced to accept blame for WWI, and whip them up into a genocidal, world-conquering frenzy. Germany was gasoline-soaked straw waiting for a match then. Anti-sematism was already there, and Hitler just told the masses what they wanted to hear.
Kill Hitler and someone worse would have taken his place. Misattributing an entire movement to a single person is pretending that they had more reach, influence, and power than they actually had.
The one thing that I believe most historians can agree on was that Hitler was charismatic. Killing him wouldn't kill the Nazi party, killing him would simply put a damper on the movement and greatly hinder the groups rise to power. I'm sure some other far right government would have risen eventually. However, without Hitler I doubt we would have seen another holocaust or World War 2. Anti-Semitic laws and deportation sure, a war with France most certainly, but something as insane as Hitlers plan for Europe would never be realized or attempted. Japan would have still attacked Pearl Harbor, but Europe would remain Nazi free.

Last edited by a moderator:
but Europe would remain Nazi free.
Not... Likely. Like, anti-Semitism was trendy and popular throughout Europe and America until everyone saw the horrors of Nazi Germany. While it's debatable what, precisely, would happen, a less horrific example of Anti-Semitic Nation may well have lead to Nazis as an accepted part of the status quo.

Not... Likely. Like, anti-Semitism was trendy and popular throughout Europe and America until everyone saw the horrors of Nazi Germany. While it's debatable what, precisely, would happen, a less horrific example of Anti-Semitic Nation may well have lead to Nazis as an accepted part of the status quo.
I agree, however given the chance I believe I would at least try to stop the Holocaust from happening if I went back in time. Say what you will about the Holocaust ending mainstream antisemitism, but I don't think I could just let six million people die for something that can be achieved through activism and education of the masses.

Dunno if many watched Re:Creators-anime, but the whole premise had me wonder if to attempt an SI mainly based on my deep interest with the given subject - Fictional Characters living in our world and interacting with the idea that they're fictional. Been also intrigued by concept of SI-centric fics lately, so yeah.

One idea I had was that SI is an author of light novel that sorta is tongue-in-cheek stab on infamy and criticism towards " MMO power fantasy"-related fiction such as Sword Art Online and Ready Player One, mainly through it's main character that would be both loved or hated for being a basically a male power fantasy that has also possesses ton of gamer knowledge. Basically take the "Gary Stu"-criticism that Kirito created with his overall character and how Ayato from Asterisk War took that to it's most logical conclusion.

This MC would be transported to the real world, but finds himself suddenly lacking any of the powers he could do in his MMO, upon which he has to find the SI, his Creator, and both must to figure out what has happened.

From what I thought of revealing later would be that this is because of the skewed believing on the MC: tons consider him a bad self-insert from the author itself (the SI), only having certain special powers through plot armor and other asspulls to the point of ruining the suspension of disbelief from the story for them - meanwhile others like the character for that very same reason, but that's because "it's cool". So the character is popular (which is how he got out to the real world according to Re:Creators-logic), but can't conjure powers to defend himself or anything because overall suspension of disbelief from the detractors prevent it from happening. Thus the Author has to go rewrite him for better in his next novels, while figuring out what's making the phenomena happen that brought these two together - not his Creation is not only defenseless, but starts to bit get to an inner turmoil about himself after finding out he indeed is just "a poorly-written power fantasy for basement-dwelling otaku at best".

Might make this cross with the actual canon of the series, perhaps having to do with the Military Uniform Princess and her followers and the main cast opposing her.

Last edited:
To be fair, most of those can be accomplished by a 2nd War DK who decided to go a bit more Dark Shaman(Dominating Decay, rather than Harmonious Spirit like normal Shaman) than full on Warlock. Because binding the souls of the dead is literally how they're made. Shove a Warlock's soul into a dead Alliance hero to use the soul of the Alliance hero as a power supply. Involving Elementals in their magic, which can be extremely forceful and corruptive without Fel magic through what's justifiably called Decay, could confer the "living" feeling to their magic, as Elemental forces have a pretty shocking habit of becoming actually alive when concentrated. Just ask the Stormstouts, who accidentally made booze elementals. One of which was a dungeon boss made by attempting to attain enlightenment by perfect booze. I wish I was joking, Pandaria has weird stuff like that all over the place.

To be fair, the "better" you describe was basically the case for the 2nd War Death Knights, who had more of a field commander role than even the 3rd War DKs. They even have the ability to be brought back at least decades after "death," like WHFB Vampires (seriously, the blood sucking buggers have actually been "dead" for centuries and came back. They're basically impossible to keep dead short of direct soul destruction).

I brought up Nature/Void magic mixes as an example of how mixed types of magic change properties. The Emerald Nightmare offers abilities only tangentially related to the Emerald Dream, with the resemblance being pretty hard to find. Similarly, mixing stuff with Fel magic in a manner similar to how Necromancy in Warhammer Fantasy works could result in very different properties.

Actually not nearly as large as it seems, if you mix and adjust the right lore. One of the big things is that all the "civilized" magic users descend from a single tradition. Probably Troll in origin, related to Voodoo's tendency to mix literally everything able to be found, because the Elves of Warcraft are descended from a specific group of Trolls. Specifically, the Highborn established the tradition as it stands currently, while the War of the Ancients eventually led to the surviving, exiled Highborn becoming the High Elves. The High Elves, much like Warhammer Fantasy, were the ones who taught humanity how to use magic, and this extended to Dwarves, Gnomes and basically everyone that didn't have a previous tradition for it, like Trolls. Even the freaking Kobolds and Gnolls use self-taught variants of that tradition.

Something I've seen in several fanfics that might be drawn from the RPG books (it has to be from some canon source, the writers are too spread out and Warcraft fanfiction isn't as degenerate and self-referential as popular storytelling series. People play WoW to RP and grind, rarely for the story) is that Arcane magic is "purified" Fel magic, and this is what the Elves know. Ordering the corruptive mess into safe to use energy that can be used for a wide variety of tasks. Rather similar to High Magic and Dhar, only in this case it's more like extracting the stuff of the Winds from Dhar, then casting High Magic off of that. Something that only the Slann should even be attempting to pull off, but this is Warcraft, not Warhammer, so stuff like that gets some degree of a pass. Light magic is drawn from some omnipresent field, rather than any sort of current. Druidic magic, canonically, is from the Emerald Dream, which had its last canonical origin (to my knowledge) being "artificially shaped dreams of the world-soul of Azeroth." Fel magic is drawn raw from the Twisting Nether, and sometimes generated by self-sacrifice of a rather corrupting variety. Or sacrificing others, the blood rituals don't care if it's you or some poor sod you strapped to a ritual slab.

Once you divorce the relevant forms of magic to the native's interests (Fel and Arcane) from what swapping Leylines for Winds causes, you can have your direct counterpart setup work with little issue. You also have to somewhat divorce the idea of Winds of magic from a specific origin point, but the magical typing works for all the Winds if you have them be based on the dominant magical association. The only Wind that should be relevant is Shyish, the Wind of Death. I'd counterpart it with Decay, with "sources" being heavily Sha-tainted portions of Pandaria(disharmony among Elementals is a symptom of Decay presence. Azeroth's general inter-Element hostilities are from a Spirit deficiency because the world soul is eating up all the spare Spirit) and places where unquiet dead lie/walk/generally do mad science(WTF, Royal Apothecary Society? You had one job, and did the exact opposite with your Blight!)/live semi-normal lives. Like most of Lordaeron, so you wouldn't have any issues with access while in Forsaken territory :V

Using Leyline-derrived magic to act as a buffer for Fel magic is nothing particularly revolutionary, conceptually. After all, Trolls mix literally every form of magic in the world they have access to into a single form of use that requires their regenerative blessings to survive use of in the long run, or even short term, and they suffer no characteristically ill effects(no tentacles or mad ravings, just severe body strain) from the Void magic involved(and there is Void Magic, their ancestry goes back to Old God domination of Azeroth, so they can and will use it). And probably Fel, too, they've had the whole time since the War of the Ancients to get that in their mess of a discipline they call Voodoo.
Don't you mind If I use this for future reference?

This could help me alot when planning on what write in the story.

I've been on and off pondering a My Hero Academia SI. having trouble with the story, though. So many strange variables to account for, y'know? That kinda stuff plays hell on my writing nerves, and then that makes it even more unlikely to get written and put up somewhere. I digress, however, so back to the most recurring idea.

Basically, it's a power armour-fic. The SI has an electricity-based Quirk- he can generate a constant energy output, provided he's in physical contact with whatever he's meant to be powering. So, for example, the Power Armour itself. Provided he's inside the armour, he can keep it running for a while- certainly around 2-3 hours. However, that's only if he's powering it enough to actually move. If he intends have it combat capable, it's cut down to maybe an hour, tops.

That's at the start of the series, by the way. The issues I've had with the idea?

1: What does the armour actually look like? Well, that was actually a major thing for me. The examples of power armour in MHA all have them bulky-looking, so in order to keep in theme I ruled out 'slim' armour like Iron Man. Eventually, I settled on having the armour basically being a downscaled Landman Rodi, except modified so it looks like it can actually be worn like armour. The problem is I can't actually describe it with words that make sense to me.

2: So which characters actually play a part? The most prominent canon characters playing a part would likely be Mei and Power Loader. The former because she's effectively a walking bank of possible upgrades for the Armour, and the latter because his Quirk most likely is his Armour. Problem is? I can't actually write people, and Mei is... very much a person. And we don't really know all that much about the latter. Those are the only two who come to mind when it comes to key characters.

3: How do you want the story to start? This. This is the main problem for me. I already know how I want the story to start- with the SI testing out the armour. He's been around long enough to be somewhat used to the more bizarre-looking Quirks out there, but not long enough to make him seem like a native to MHA. The problem is that I can't figure out how to write it- the actual acquisition of the armour.

How does he find the armour? I mean, for cheapness it could just be in the back of a truck, being transported towards some villainous lair for dubious purposes. He could find it just laying there, abandoned and in need of some patching up in some warehouse or other. He certainly didn't make it.

So yeah, at its most base level its the fact I have some kind of writer's block preventing me from writing it. I know, however, where the block's coming from- the inability to put words to the page because I just can't make my idea stick. Any help, guys?

Dunno if many watched Re:Creators-anime
I have and have written an SI for it crossing it over with Kamen Rider.

Your idea seems pretty cool though.
I've been on and off pondering a My Hero Academia SI. having trouble with the story, though. So many strange variables to account for, y'know? That kinda stuff plays hell on my writing nerves, and then that makes it even more unlikely to get written and put up somewhere. I digress, however, so back to the most recurring idea.

Basically, it's a power armour-fic. The SI has an electricity-based Quirk- he can generate a constant energy output, provided he's in physical contact with whatever he's meant to be powering. So, for example, the Power Armour itself. Provided he's inside the armour, he can keep it running for a while- certainly around 2-3 hours. However, that's only if he's powering it enough to actually move. If he intends have it combat capable, it's cut down to maybe an hour, tops.

That's at the start of the series, by the way. The issues I've had with the idea?

1: What does the armour actually look like? Well, that was actually a major thing for me. The examples of power armour in MHA all have them bulky-looking, so in order to keep in theme I ruled out 'slim' armour like Iron Man. Eventually, I settled on having the armour basically being a downscaled Landman Rodi, except modified so it looks like it can actually be worn like armour. The problem is I can't actually describe it with words that make sense to me.

2: So which characters actually play a part? The most prominent canon characters playing a part would likely be Mei and Power Loader. The former because she's effectively a walking bank of possible upgrades for the Armour, and the latter because his Quirk most likely is his Armour. Problem is? I can't actually write people, and Mei is... very much a person. And we don't really know all that much about the latter. Those are the only two who come to mind when it comes to key characters.

3: How do you want the story to start? This. This is the main problem for me. I already know how I want the story to start- with the SI testing out the armour. He's been around long enough to be somewhat used to the more bizarre-looking Quirks out there, but not long enough to make him seem like a native to MHA. The problem is that I can't figure out how to write it- the actual acquisition of the armour.

How does he find the armour? I mean, for cheapness it could just be in the back of a truck, being transported towards some villainous lair for dubious purposes. He could find it just laying there, abandoned and in need of some patching up in some warehouse or other. He certainly didn't make it.

So yeah, at its most base level its the fact I have some kind of writer's block preventing me from writing it. I know, however, where the block's coming from- the inability to put words to the page because I just can't make my idea stick. Any help, guys?
Hmmm... Maybe your character picks up the armor from a former superhero who had a bad run in with Stain? My rule of thumb is to set it at least a month prior to the events BnHA or even concurrent with BnHA, but not necessarily following the same plotting.

I mean isn't that Denki's quirk just without the short circuit aspect?
Apart from that I'd say power armour doesn't really fit the setting MHA. MHA is around the same tech level we have, but any type of power armour is way beyond what we currently have.
So you'd then have to answer the question of who built this power armour and why there aren't more future tech type things in MHA.

Hrm, I think I know what I'm doing for the Transhuman SI. Combining many of the suggestions. His focus is through his robotoc arm and accompanying robotentacle and his directed energy effects. His 'chord', which is initially a grapple hook, but eventually becomes a robo-tentacle and evolves from there with additional ones added over time. He probably also gets bio tentacles for his left, organic arm from somewhere else as well. But his focus will be on using those for most of his tasks. Spider-manning about, yanking enemies close or throwing them, shocking them, or hijacking them through the chords. Other things that he picks up like magic or such just enhance those things, like making it enflamed, or add to his support / caster style. Most of his proper offense is his directed energy effects, either psionics or spells or genetic effects or ki or whatever, just straight blasty power.

Initial arrival? Xcom. Discovers his psionic gift and ends up being genemodded to help him leverage that in saving humanity. He'd develop his psionics, likely edging into the Xcom 2 style psionics even during the first game, to the point that he'd be chosen as the Volunteer. Escapes the exploding Temple Ship at the end by leaping through the universes. Next arrival? Borg ship. He's able to suppress the nanite injection through his psionics, but mostly by containing them. He can't purge them because he can't differentiate between the Borg nanoprobes and the Meld in his system, the latter of which is keeping him alive. Even if he keeps it contained, it still takes a long time to deal with it properly, and by the time he does that, he's likely already got other problems chasing him.

As has been mentioned, where the fuck does he get power armor? Even the most brilliant inventor of hero style equipment in Japan as of right now isn't making stuff on the level of a full suit of power armor.

As has been mentioned, where the fuck does he get power armor?

Power Armour is my go-to phrase when it comes to any "armoured" character in a Superhero setting, so I do apologise for that misconception. Then again, Power Loader and... That one dude from the second OVA, have some kind of armoured hero aesthetic- even if, for the former it's more along the lines of an exo-skeleton, and the latter uses what is stated to be a mech-suit. I suppose I kinda wanted to be the "In-between" in that regard?

I checked the latest rendition of my notes- the armour is, at time of acquisition, "Just a suit of armour with some fancy mechanics inside. There's no actual power source in the armour at the time." Later in the notes I tried out various origins for the suit.

For example, were it to be the "built for villains" route, it'd be battery operated, via some manner of vehicle-mounted, EVA-esque "Umbilical Cable". The Operator would've been some Quirkless guy who used it to be able to fight against Heroes. The SI would acquire the suit before it reached wherever the EVA-battery would be located. The "abandoned in a warehouse" route would have the power source either in or nearby the Armour, but in such a state as to be unusable. Like I said, this origin embodied the whole "Plot Expediency" thing.

Either way- the SI would effectively become the power source himself. The Armour would be modified so that he was connected to a "battery pack" that would, hopefully, lessen the strain he put on his Quirk.

I mean isn't that Denki's quirk just without the short circuit aspect?

For whatever reason, my mind completely discounts Denki. It basically just blanks what his Quirk does outside of "Making him go Wheeey!" a lot. In essence, the SI's Quirk is now another problem to be fixed- which shouldn't take too long.

The drawback was different- if he strained himself too much, his skin would start blistering wherever he was in contact with the Armour. Given his "pilot suit" boiled down to a cycling outfit with a hole in the back to connect him to the "battery pack" via some equipment or other, that meant blistering on his arms, legs, and his back certainly. My mind was most likely going for an Alaya Vijnana-style attachment, minus the life-threatening injections, naturally. Like, the connector part just fits into the hole on the back of his outfit, and from there attaches to the battery pack.

Hmmm... Maybe your character picks up the armor from a former superhero who had a bad run in with Stain? My rule of thumb is to set it at least a month prior to the events BnHA or even concurrent with BnHA, but not necessarily following the same plotting.

The idea was to have the Insert testing out the suit about... five months or so prior to the Entrance Test? I never actually put a timestamp for the story start in the notes. Long enough that he can be somewhat used to the Armour when he participates.

Crippled Hero origin? Hadn't really thought of it. Then again, that's how my muse generates ideas- it flashes an idea, I try my best to attempt it, and typically I fail somewhere down the line shortly afterwards. At 5-6 months, this is probably the longest I've had an idea running without actual failure.

Last edited:
Dunno if many watched Re:Creators-anime, but the whole premise had me wonder if to attempt an SI mainly based on my deep interest with the given subject - Fictional Characters living in our world and interacting with the idea that they're fictional. Been also intrigued by concept of SI-centric fics lately, so yeah.

One idea I had was that SI is an author of light novel that sorta is tongue-in-cheek stab on infamy and criticism towards " MMO power fantasy"-related fiction such as Sword Art Online and Ready Player One, mainly through it's main character that would be both loved or hated for being a basically a male power fantasy that has also possesses ton of gamer knowledge. Basically take the "Gary Stu"-criticism that Kirito created with his overall character and how Ayato from Asterisk War took that to it's most logical conclusion.

This MC would be transported to the real world, but finds himself suddenly lacking any of the powers he could do in his MMO, upon which he has to find the SI, his Creator, and both must to figure out what has happened.

From what I thought of revealing later would be that this is because of the skewed believing on the MC: tons consider him a bad self-insert from the author itself (the SI), only having certain special powers through plot armor and other asspulls to the point of ruining the suspension of disbelief from the story for them - meanwhile others like the character for that very same reason, but that's because "it's cool". So the character is popular (which is how he got out to the real world according to Re:Creators-logic), but can't conjure powers to defend himself or anything because overall suspension of disbelief from the detractors prevent it from happening. Thus the Author has to go rewrite him for better in his next novels, while figuring out what's making the phenomena happen that brought these two together - not his Creation is not only defenseless, but starts to bit get to an inner turmoil about himself after finding out he indeed is just "a poorly-written power fantasy for basement-dwelling otaku at best".

Might make this cross with the actual canon of the series, perhaps having to do with the Military Uniform Princess and her followers and the main cast opposing her.

Reverse SIs are what they are called iirc

Don't you mind If I use this for future reference?

This could help me alot when planning on what write in the story.
Go ahead. Just remember that wikis are a thing. Gamepedia seems to be where the people who give a damn about the lore update stuff, while WoWhead is where the game mechanics are focused on.

Power Armour is my go-to phrase when it comes to any "armoured" character in a Superhero setting, so I do apologise for that misconception. Then again, Power Loader and... That one dude from the second OVA, have some kind of armoured hero aesthetic- even if, for the former it's more along the lines of an exo-skeleton, and the latter uses what is stated to be a mech-suit. I suppose I kinda wanted to be the "In-between" in that regard?

I checked the latest rendition of my notes- the armour is, at time of acquisition, "Just a suit of armour with some fancy mechanics inside. There's no actual power source in the armour at the time." Later in the notes I tried out various origins for the suit.

For example, were it to be the "built for villains" route, it'd be battery operated, via some manner of vehicle-mounted, EVA-esque "Umbilical Cable". The Operator would've been some Quirkless guy who used it to be able to fight against Heroes. The SI would acquire the suit before it reached wherever the EVA-battery would be located. The "abandoned in a warehouse" route would have the power source either in or nearby the Armour, but in such a state as to be unusable. Like I said, this origin embodied the whole "Plot Expediency" thing.

Either way- the SI would effectively become the power source himself. The Armour would be modified so that he was connected to a "battery pack" that would, hopefully, lessen the strain he put on his Quirk.

For whatever reason, my mind completely discounts Denki. It basically just blanks what his Quirk does outside of "Making him go Wheeey!" a lot. In essence, the SI's Quirk is now another problem to be fixed- which shouldn't take too long.

The drawback was different- if he strained himself too much, his skin would start blistering wherever he was in contact with the Armour. Given his "pilot suit" boiled down to a cycling outfit with a hole in the back to connect him to the "battery pack" via some equipment or other, that meant blistering on his arms, legs, and his back certainly. My mind was most likely going for an Alaya Vijnana-style attachment, minus the life-threatening injections, naturally. Like, the connector part just fits into the hole on the back of his outfit, and from there attaches to the battery pack.

The idea was to have the Insert testing out the suit about... five months or so prior to the Entrance Test? I never actually put a timestamp for the story start in the notes. Long enough that he can be somewhat used to the Armour when he participates.

Crippled Hero origin? Hadn't really thought of it. Then again, that's how my muse generates ideas- it flashes an idea, I try my best to attempt it, and typically I fail somewhere down the line shortly afterwards. At 5-6 months, this is probably the longest I've had an idea running without actual failure.
Ok so if your set on wanting power armour that will open up a lot of plot holes in your story.
For starters you get quirks at latest age 6, so you'll have about 10 years of training with your quirk. If you get power armour that would completely change any semblance of a fighting style you have going.
Now there are the technical problems of it.
What do you do when the power armour gets fucked up in a fight? If it's a thing that's totally unique it'll be almost impossible to fix.
How does your power armour fit you? Unless you make the power armour yourself it's not going to tailored to your exact size which is kind of important. Even if it is, you will still grow so you'd need to make modifications every couple months as you grow taller.
Overall I don't think you can really go the power armour route unless you build it yourself, which unless you're already a technicality genius you won't be able to do without a different quirk.

One idea I've toyed around with a bit is A Connecticut Programmer in Count Dooku's Court, in which the SI appears on Cato Nemoidia and is pressed into service writing software for the military industrial complex. And introduces such things as structured programming, object orientation, etc to a society that thinks assembly language is a bit too high level.

He thinks he can program better than a civilization that views what is effectively fully sapient Battledroids as disposable and stupid? I mean seriously, even the dumb as all hell B1 Battledroids are better than anything we've managed so far and they're the lowest end popcorn cheap grade Droids.

He thinks he can program better than a civilization that views what is effectively fully sapient Battledroids as disposable and stupid? I mean seriously, even the dumb as all hell B1 Battledroids are better than anything we've managed so far and they're the lowest end popcorn cheap grade Droids.
Yeah. My recollection is we are explicitly told in Episode 1 that they are economy designs, with a low price as basically the entire justification for them existing/being used.

Back