Questionably Soteriological: A Puzzle/Mystery Quest with Kids, Science, and Fun!

> Lucy & Kala: Pull off crab heist!
[X] Loan OWEN the CROWN OF POSIDEON so he can command the CRABBY CRAB
-[X] Giggle

"We need a way to distract that horrid little beast so that we can get those tokens," Mari muses, staring pensively through the glass of the AQUARIUM. Owen, seeming like he's just had a breakthrough, leaps to his feet.

"I know! Luce, let me put that crown on."

You're a little hesitant about handing over the CROWN OF POSEIDON, even momentarily, but the amused little smirk that's already beginning to play around Mari's mouth makes it seem worth it. Slowly, you reach out to Owen, who puts it on and strikes a pose which he presumably imagines to be majestic before leaning over the AQUARIUM and clearing his throat. "Mr. Crab," he begins, with as much gravity as he can muster, "As you can see, this crown makes me a very important person, which means you really should be starting to leave post-haste, do you hear me?"

The CRAB stares impassively at him, beady little eyes burning with an antediluvian hate that no vertebrate creature could possibly comprehend.
[x] Combine BALL OF SILVER THREAD with a PARTICULARLY SHINY CANDY WRAPPER
-[x] Try to distract the PARTICULARLY LARGE CRAB away from his treasure pile. Maybe fish it out of the AQUARIUM entirely!
--[x] If it works, make a grab for those SHINY TOKENS and the GOLDEN WATCH while it's away!
While Owen moves on to making weird and vaguely off-putting clicking and squelching noises with his mouth because, in his words, "It probably only speaks Crabese," you tie some of your SILVER THREAD around the PARTICULARLY SHINY CANDY WRAPPER and, casting it out like a FISHING LINE, quickly grab the attention of the CRAB, who scuttles over it and quickly begins attempting to add to its already impressive hoard.

As it scuttles over to the other side of the AQUARIUM, you suddenly doubt your ability to grab the TOKENS or WATCH without it noticing in time to avoid getting your fingers snipped -- but then you see a strange ripple in the water, and Kala flickers into existence besides you, moving quickly enough that she's almost a blur as she pulls the TREASURES free and presses them into your hand before flickering back into her usual semi-visibility. The CRAB, realizing it's been bamboozled, scuttles up to the glass and glares at you with impotent fury. You stick your tongue out at it.
[x] Inspector the Crystals on the Crabs back
The CRYSTAL SPIRES on the CRAB'S shell somehow seem completely natural, like they complement its form instead of seeming like unsightly additions. You'd appreciate them as an AESTHETIC TOUCH if they didn't bring to mind images of similar crystals bursting through the MASS OF BONE AND MUSCLE that made up Mars' body.
[X] Mari: Confiscate STETHOSCOPE and TOOTHPICK as LOCK CRACKING TOOLS to open the PIPE DAD
[X] Use the STETHOSCOPE to listen to the clicking of the DESK DRAWER COMBINATION LOCK. And then uh, try opening the safe.

"Mari, do you think you could use this stethoscope to disarm the--"

"No."

Well, that's that idea discarded. However, you suspect that it could be put to better use unlocking the DESK DRAWER -- after all, you did hear all that clicking. You put the STETHOSCOPE on, and briefly strike the kind of pose a COOL DOCTOR would strike on a show where a COOL DOCTOR does a lot of LIFE-SAVING SURGERY and BEING RUDE TO PEOPLE and an unrealistically negligible amount of PAPERWORK before putting it to the drawer and listening intently. This time, the clicks are much more pronounced, and it only takes a few minutes of experimentation to open the drawer. Inside are a PILE OF WATCH PARTS and a SILVER TOOTHPICK.
[X] Does the HAND ROOT LOGO possibly mean that the combination is the square root of five? Anyway that's sqrt(5) = 2.23606798 which means if there's five digits that can be inserted then maybe the answer is 22360, or 23606! Try them out. If they are successful you guys can ROOT around the strongbox to your heart's content.
[X] Pass along the LOLLIPOPS to everyone to keep morale up. Sugar is good for the brain!
There are, in fact, TEN DIGITS that can be entered. Trying the first TEN DIGITS of the square root of 5 doesn't get it to budge, neither does any any variation of it.
Excellent.
[X] Luci: EXAMINE MAGAZINES since Owen clearly does not have his detective snuff up to chops.
Wow, Ornithologist's Weekly really does say that an ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. Cool! Engrossed in the power of mildly interesting trivia, you continue reading for a lot longer than you should. Surely Mari and Owen will make good progress while you're busy, you tell yourself, knowing full well that when you look up they'll be arguing over what the best COLOUR is or something.
[x] Examine the RECEPTIONIST'S DESK
[X] Mari: Examine the LAPTOP. Is it beyond salvaging? Are there any interesting marks or panels on it?
You finally look up from Cool Pictures of Coyotes Monthly to see Mari and Owen arguing over which is the best day of the week (Owen says it's Thursday, Mari thinks it's Friday). Taking a closer look at the DESK reveals very little, except that someone has rearranged the NUMBERS ROW on the laptop keyboard to replace the FIRST FIVE NUMBERS with a FIVE, FOUR, SIX, EIGHT, and NINE from the NUMBER PAD. How curious!
[x] DID the SILVER TOOTHPICK
Something seems strange about these now that you have two of them... after a little careful examination, you realize that they've both got similar notches and grooves at the thicker ends. A few seconds later, you've slotted them together to create a PAIR OF TWEEZERS. Now you can TWEEZE to your heart's content!
[X] DFD the HANDY ICON
The HAND seems like it's taunting you, with its outstretched ROOTS and DIGITS... what could it be trying to tell you?
[X] Lucy: use the SCALPEL on the COUCH CUSHIONS to see what's inside them.
[X] Owen: Mourn the loss of the couch. Truly, it was too innocent for this sinful Earth.
While you're opening the DRESS DRAWER, you hear a COMMOTION from the couch and look over to see Mari triumphantly standing over a BRUTALLY VIVISECTED COUCH CUSHION while Owen looks on in a combination of DESPAIR, SHOCK, HORROR, and INDIGNATION. Mari cackles. You decide you'll leave them to that.

> Lucy, Owen, & Kala: Snack break
[X] DFD the newly acquired GOLDEN WATCH.
- [X] Is it broken? If so, perhaps that highly convenient PILE OF WATCH PARTS will do the trick!
Before you even think to suggest it, Mari has already idly reassembled the WATCH, leaving only an ODD ASSORTMENT OF LEFTOVER GEARS. It ticks magnificently.
[X] Plug the bloody numbers row of the LAPTOP into the SAFE
You input the numbers on the LAPTOP'S NUMBER ROW into the STRONGBOX, - 5468967890. You hear ten NEUTRAL BEEPS and then an eleventh, DISAPPOINTING BEEP. No dice.
[x] Enter 25 16 36 64 81 in the strongbox
Looking down at the ROOT DESIGN on the STRONGBOX, you are struck by a BOLT OF INSPIRATION. "Eureka!" you shout, striking a COOL POSE.

"Isn't that where France is?" Owen asks, as you type the digits 2516366481 and the STRONGBOX makes ten NEUTRAL BEEPS followed by an eleventh VERY ENCOURAGING BEEP. As Mari instantly leaps on the chance to mercilessly mock him, the STRONGBOX opens to reveal a SMALL KEY--

Endless visions. A planet made of glittering crystals, interlaced and fractal and infinite in their recursion. Shattering. Falling among the stars. Being followed. Being followed. You wake up, and you're back on the table, syringe in your arm almost empty but still lingering with the barest traces of glowing liquid, electric blue.

--and a NOTE, which reads 'well done!' in SQUIGGLY, BORDERLINE-ILLEGIBLE HANDWRITING. How nice!
[X] If the SHINY TOKENS happen to be INSTITUTION TOKENS, put enough of them into the VENDING MACHINE to get the ELECRTRICAL TAPE.
[X] Have Mari fix the INTERCOM SPEAKER with the ELECRTRICAL TAPE.
[X] DFD the newly acquired INSTITUTION TOKENS to buy TAPE, CAKE, and CHIPS.
-[X] Pass Mari the TAPE to fix the staticy INTERCOM.
-[X] Hold a SNACK BREAK!
The VENDING MACHINE accepts the TOKENS, and you punch in the numbers for the TAPE, as well as a single packet of CHIPS, which you rip open and are about to eat when Owen reaches over and takes a large handful, which he messily shoves into his mouth. Well, you intended to share anyway! You think about conserving the REST OF THE TOKENS in case they're useful later, but you can see Kala looking wistfully at the two of you and put in YOUR LAST FEW in exchange for a smaller pack of RICE CAKES, which you hand to her -- she looks at it suspiciously, then up at you, then back at it, and then snatches it from your hand only to reappear in the other corner of the room. She looks down at the bag as if to make sure it's still there, and then looks up at you with a small but grateful smile.

Meanwhile, Mari has been hard at work on the INTERCOM. After a few more seconds of CRACKLY STATIC, you can hear a more coherent sound from it: a viola, being played with admirable skill, and a singing voice in a very curious accent that sounds like a mix of Central European and East Asian. The voice, unlike the viola, is about as far from pleasant as Central Europe is from East Asia.

"My father makes book on the corner, my mother brews illicit gin, my sister sells kisses to sailors, my God how the money rolls in!"

Mari takes a step back and scowls at the intercom, turning to you and whispering "Dr. Geneva." Kala looks very nervous for a few seconds, and then flickers out of existence. Mari then leans in to press a button on the intercom, lighting up a little green light. The meaning is clear: it's on.

[] Introduce yourself politely
[] Ask him to stop singing
[] [Write-in]

> Lucy: Sing along
[X] Sing along. Make up the words, if you have to, of course.
[X] Put on our METAPHORICAL CRITIC'S HAT and provide an in depth critique on Geneva's musical abilities.
[X] And then show him how it's done!
[x] Join in with your violin because it's been FOREVER since you played, but also try to interrupt his singing bits with an improvised introduction of you in song form because honestly nobody sings like that seriously.
[x] This is DETECTIVE CALLOWAY, and I am making a CITIZEN'S ARREST! Um... as soon as I figure out a way out of this room?
After a moment's consideration, you pull out your trusty VIOLIN. It's been a while since you've gotten the opportunity to play it, but any worries that you might be rusty are quickly vanished as you begin to play it and it suddenly feels as natural as riding a bicycle, as natural as breathing, as natural as seeing the possibilities unfold and expand and unravel in front of you in thousand and thousands of directions. You don't play the same melody -- it's a simple one, after all, 'My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean', so instead you play a countermelody, complementing and contrasting to the viola, adding in little flourishes that may be a little extravagant but serve the very important purpose of showing off.

As he's about to launch into another, probably very rude verse, you interrupt.

"I'm sorry if I'm interrupting,
Though I'm afraid that I have to insist,
'Cause what I have to say is important,
And your singing voice will not be missed!"

The viola comes to an abrupt stop, and you stop in turn, feeling a little triumphant. "It's very nice to make your acquaintance, Dr. Geneva, even if it is through a scratchy intercom. My name is Lucy Calloway, private investigator, and on behalf of myself and my client I would like you to be aware that I fully intend on bringing you to justice for all your crimes!" You strike a cool pose, before pausing awkwardly. "Although it would help a lot if you could help us figure out how to get through this door."

"Pretty please," Owen adds.

There's a somewhat concerning silence, and then Dr. Geneva replies, sounding amused more than anything. "Oh no! The long arm of the law has finally caught up with me. Or rather, the short arm, yes? I would say it is nice to make your acquaintance, but I already know all of you test subjects. Whoops! Did I say test subjects? I meant children. Ha ha. Young Marinette, how are you doing? Hopefully better than your father is!"

Mari looks like she's about to reply to that, scowling, so you quickly step in and pre-empt her.

"I'd take us seriously if I were you, Dr. Geneva. I'll have you know that I've got a long track record of solved cases, and I fully intend on being back home for supper." Given the TIME, you don't think that's a very realistic goal, but it sounds cool, so you say it anyway. Sometimes being a JUNIOR SLEUTH means that dramatic impact takes precedence over fact-checking.

"Oh, don't worry, I am very aware of what you are all capable of. Why do you think I've trapped the door? It certainly wasn't to keep my fellow faculty out of my wing, not that that hurts. I mean, nothing personal against you, but I had no way of knowing that you weren't elaborate alien killing machines by the time you got up here, yes? Call it a precaution."
[X] Tell Dr. Geneva that one of you is injured and ask for medical assistance.
[X] Ask if he can help Owens wounds

As Dr. Geneva talks, Owen looks down at his injury nervously, and then at you, and then at the large sign that reads MEDICAL WING. You remember Dr. Ankara's advice on Geneva, and nod.

"Dr. Geneva," you say, keeping on your best JUNIOR SLEUTH COOL, "One of us is injured. You're a medical professional, aren't you?"

"Well..." he begins, but you cut him off.

"Your..." you look to Mari for assistance, and she mouths 'hypocritical oath' to you. "Your Hypocritical Oath means that you're bound to treat someone injured, which means you have to help us get through this door."

There's a pause. "Well, you've got me there. The world might be crumbling around me, but what would I be without my self-respect as a physician, yes? I will treat your friend, no problem. However, you might want to disarm the bomb on the door first. It's simple. The passcode to get it open is 1113, and then you simply have to cut... the blue wire. Or is it the red wire? Or is it the green wire? Or... does it matter? Perhaps the bomb's chances of going off are completely random no matter which wire you cut." You can hear the grin in his voice. "It's fun! Like playing roulette, yes?"

> Lucy: Trust Mari
[X] Lucy: Use interrogation for imbeciles to review the conversation.
[X] Use Interrogation for Imbeciles further on Dr. Geneva. You're not like, DOUBTING, the good doctor of course, but are being totally respectful of his ability to lie because well, he did say he was wary of potential elaborate alien killing machines coming up. (Idk if I can put all of these in here but I'm putting down some of the ideas I have.)

CLASS MACHINATION ACTIVATED: [INTERROGATION FOR IMBECILES]

Try as you might... without being able to see Dr. Geneva, with just his voice coming through the STATICKY INTERCOM to go by, you're not quite sure you can detect any LIES he might be telling you. It's a scary feeling, being given little option but to trust someone entirely untrustworthy.
[X] Trust Mari To disable the bomb
[X] Mari: Take of the panel of the PIPE DAD.
[X] Mari: HIW on the innards of the PIPE DAD.
[X] Lucy: DFD on the innards of the PIPE DAD.
Unless, of course, you have the option of trusting someone else. Marinette is already hard at work, inputting the code with a rapidfire series of BEEPS to accompany her work. The cover of the thing pops off, revealing a MESS OF WIRES AND ELECTRONICS. It's clearly something put together on short notice, you can tell just by looking at it.

"Whoever made this had fast hands," Mari comments, "But had absolutely no idea what they were doing mechanically."

"Well, that's just rude. You're hurting my feelings," laments Dr. Geneva through the intercom.
[X] "Children shouldn't gamble. Are you being a bad influence?"

As Mari continues to appraise, you turn your mind back to the conversation.

"I've never played roulette — and I think it's very inappropriate to tell me that it's fun, Dr. Geneva."

"Shame on you," adds Owen, seriously.

"Well... it's not supposed to be fun for you," he replies, accented voice still tauntingly sing-song.
-[X] Ask how often he encountered evil alien children that he has to prepare for that now?
-[X] How capable did you think this PIPEDA-er, Bomb Thing, would be at stopping monster alien children from entering anyway?
-[X] If you know us, how WELL do you know us, my Good Doctor Sir Doctor? EVIDENCE is key, how can we believe your claims upfront *GasP*.
"Are we supposed to be violent alien killing machines?" you ask, a little alarmed, before bringing it back with the cool and collected demeanour that's such a vital part of being a SLEUTH. "What do you know about all of this, anyway? And, uh, remember that anything you say can and will be used against you!" Over your years of experience, you've learned that informing people of that fact is a VITAL part of JUSTICE. Why, it feels like only yesterday that you tricked the JUICE BOX BANDIT into accidentally revealing his crimes in front of Mrs. Presley and getting detention for a week.

"Ahahaha... I will try and keep it in mind, young lady. You are... the most successful subjects. The final product, one might say. You are what we have been trying to create! It was much more difficult than we anticipated, of course, because... well. Let me explain it to you by analogy. Imagine that you find a... how is it called, a flash drive, and on it is an advanced antivirus software that you need to defend your computer from a virus that you know is going to be released. But it can only run on certain hardware, and if you run it wrong, you risk destroying your hardware, as well as incurring... collateral damage. In our case, what is supposed to be our antivirus software has unfortunately been released into a rather uncontrolled environment, and is running around the facility asking handsome doctors silly questions and solving puzzles. So it is a real predicament, ja?"

Andelevion said:
[X] AND how are YOU feeling, Dr. Geneva?

As you try to process what you've just heard, Owen chips in to fill the silence. "So, uh. My name's Owen."

"Ah, I don't care. As far as I am professionally concerned, you are Mercury."

"Oh," Owen says, seeming a little put off but valiantly trying his best anyway. "You're very smug for someone who's barricaded himself in with an explodey murder machine wotsit. Having a good day?"

"Not particularly, no."

"Will it be made any better if you explode us by not telling us which wire to cut?"

"I am not trying to explode anyone, Mercury. I only want to get out of this day alive, prevent the world from being ended, and go back home to see my husband. Cutting any wire will result in a 50% chance of the device exploding. But I wouldn't be too worried. I suspect, between the three of you, you have ways to deal with that, yes?"

[x] DFD the WATCH
[x] DFD the LEFTOVER GEARS
The WATCH seems perfectly innocuous, if fancy. Mari leans over to whisper to you. "If you give me those gears, I think I'd be able to disarm this more safely. Although I'm not making any guarantees."
causticAccolade threw 3 100-faced dice. Reason: i just learned i can do this Total: 182
60 60 97 97 25 25

Last edited:
> Mari: Disarm PIPEDAD
[X] Lucy- Get Mari geared up
[X] Mari- keep the bomb, obviously
[X] Lucy- pass Mari the Leftover Gears
[X] Mari- use the gears on the bomb, smugly

[GUMPTION CHECK: SUCCEEDED!]

Using the tweezers and scalpel, Marinette cuts several wires and quickly begins to modify the PIPEDAD, looking intensely at it with a focus so singleminded you feel like she could cut through the entire door like a laserbeam with it. After a few seconds of tense silence, she looks up with a smile. "It's safe," she says, evidently proud of herself.
[X] Ask if Mari can read the note or recognizes the handwriting.
"Oh, that's just Dr. Geneva's handwriting. Father always complained about how he made it illegible on purpose."

"I would never," Geneva complains over the intercom.
[X] Owen- Ask why their named after planets instead original code names.
[X] Wait, what do you mean "prevent the world from being ended"? Why would the world end?
"Can you please call me Owen? Isn't Mercury, like, the stuff they put in speedometers?"

"Thermometers," mutters Mari, rolling her eyes.

"Shut-up-Mari-nobody-cares-o-meters."

"Children, please," Geneva says, tone one of easy amusement. "Each serum we administered had a different... active ingredient, let us say. Since they came from the stars, our old project director — your mother, may she rest in peace — thought it fit to name them after the planets."

While this conversation goes on, you finally finish thinking about something Geneva said. "I hope you don't mind me asking, Mr. Geneva,"

"Doctor."

"Doctor Mr. Geneva, why do you think the world is in danger?"

"Ah. Let me tell you a story."

You don't particularly want to hear a story, but you've learned over the years that when an adult wants to tell you a boring story instead of just getting to the point and answering a simple question, you couldn't even stop them by killing them.

"Two hunters are out in the woods, when they see a wolf, running as fast as it can, out of the undergrowth and past them. One of the hunters begins to run in the same direction, and the other one laughs. 'Hey, the wolf is gone, why are you running?' he asks. And the other huntsman calls back, 'I don't want to stick around to meet whatever a wolf is running away from!'"

> Lucy, Owen & Mari: Confront Dr. Geneva
[X] If you and the other adults are the hunters, then what were the wolves? And just what were the wolves running from?
[X] Given how wolves tend to be the top predators in their environment, probably more hunters. Why do you assume that whatever scared off the scary thing you saw running away is itself hostile? I assume there's something, because you seem very sure that the world faces doom.
[X] Lucy- congratulate Mari on not blowing us up and ask if any of this sounds familiar
[X] Owen- Ask how turning us to space children helps the problem we're not super heroes.

"Alright, so in this metaphor, you're the hunters," you say.

"Correct," Dr. Geneva replies over the intercom.

"And the wolves?"

"The wolves are the symbiotes."

"What's the forest," Owen whispers, and Mari elbows him.

You decide to pretend you know what SYMBIOTE means, but from context clues you can only assume it means SCARY CRYSTAL SERUM THAT GIVES CHILDREN SUPERNATURAL POWERS.

"And what are the wolves running from?" you ask.

"Total annihilation. Although I suppose the wolves are not simply running... ah, but dear Melody understood that better than I did. She understood it all better than anyone did, which made it such a terrible shame when she died. My condolences, Marinette. We are not playing guessing games in the dark, children. We had a lot of information to work with."

"How is doing any of this to us meant to help!" Owen says, voice indignant. "I'm not gonna-- not gonna stop any kinda annihi-thingy! I'm just a kid!"

"Well, for now, yes, you are. But you're also more than that, are you not?"

A silence lingers in his air as you all consider how human you really are.

[X] LUCY: Bust down the door for a dramatic entrance!
[X] Owen: Shut the door
[X] Owen: Bust down the door for a dramatic entrance!
With the PIPEDAD no longer posing a direct danger, there's nothing stopping you from entering the MEDICAL WING. Looking over at Owen's injuries, it seems like the best course of action, even if it means coming face to face with a DASTARDLY, MALEVOLENT DOCTOR. You turn to whisper to Owen and Mari. "Alright, we're going in on the count of three," you begin,

"Wait, so we go in on three, or after three?" Owen whispers back, "And can I be the one that busts the door down, all dramatic-like?"

You stop to consider both these questions very carefully. As a JUNIOR SLEUTH, you really feel like you should be the one busting doors down, but whether to go on three or after three is a much more serious matter that merits your EXTENSIVE CONSIDERATION. It is while you are thinking over these TRICKY CONUNDRUMS that Mari quickly says "Onetwothree!" and shoves the door open herself, stepping forward with her typical brand of EXTREME CONFIDENCE. Well, that works too, you suppose.

As you and Owen step in after her, you're confronted with the sight of a TALL, LANKY MAN in a BLOODSTAINED DOCTOR'S COAT laying back with his feet up at a desk, a variety of PUZZLES sitting on the desk, most of them solved. You can appreciate a WELL-SOLVED PUZZLE, but not enough to discount the fact that putting your feet up on your desk is unforgivably rude, not to mention the fact that he's been a part of CHILD KIDNAPPING AND EXPERIMENTATION, which, while you're not sure most social etiquette guidelines account for this possibility, is something you're more than happy to decide is quite possibly the rudest thing one can do.

"Oh," DR. GENEVA says in that peculiar accent of his, grinning lopsidedly, "You solved my explosive puzzle. Very well done."

You're about to say something CUTTING and CONFIDENT when you're interrupted by Marinette walking directly up to the doctor's desk and jabbing him pointedly in the chest with her index finger, a gesture that seems to leave him a little taken aback.
[x] What happened to the rest of the children injected with the serum?
[x] What does Dr. Geneva know of Gaia?
[x] How do we get to wherever Gaia is kept before Sol does?
[X] Is there anyway of helping the kids who went "crazy"? There must be something we can do right?
[X] Do you have any potential theories as to why it didn't work? Maybe, that might help.

"Where's the rest of them," Mari says, "Sol and Venus and Gaia?"

You furrow your brow a little. It seems like Mari might have known more than she was letting on.

"Venus is somewhere in the west wing, and the reason that the other entrance to this wing," he gestures vaguely through a door on the opposite side of this room, "Is also trapped. Sol and Gaia are on the top floors. Along with what I can only presume will be your next topic of inquiry, your father and his brother. As far as I know."

Mari closes her mouth halfway through what was clearly intended to be the exact question that just got pre-empted. You take this opportunity to step up with your arms crossed confidently, standing next to Marinette so that the two of you are collectively STRIKING A COOL POSE as a TEAM. After slouching with his hands in his pockets for a few moments, Owen realizes what's going on and hurriedly stumbles forward, trying a few different poses before deciding they look silly and just crossing his arms slightly less decisively.

"I hope you don't mind me asking this," you begin before rethinking it and amending, "Actually, you're a thoroughly nasty man, so I don't really think it's important if you mind, but what happened to everyone else? Other than myself, and Owen, and Mari, and Kala? All the ones you injected with the serum?"

"What happened," Owen specifies anxiously, "to Moth?"

"Ah, yes. Mars. Well, that's an unfortunate case. You see, as the symbiote establishes itself more and more firmly, its nature can take hold in ways where, ah... the software conflicts with the hardware. Mars in particular is... combative, belligerent, destructive, aggressive. Despite the compatibility, this did not lead to the healthiest of bonds."

"Can we help him?" Owen asks, tugging at the end of one of his bloodsoaked sleeves.

Dr. Geneva shrugs. "I'm going to be perfectly honest, I do not know. Reversing or minimizing the effects of the serum was never one of our priorities."

"Well, go to hell," Mari says with surprising force. "Why shouldn't it be!!

Dr. Geneva gives another limp shrug, before tilting his head to one side, grin expanding ever so slightly. "Now, now, as much as I'd love to spend all day arguing, your young friend there is losing quite a lot of blood. Allow me to treat him, then perhaps I can answer some more questions." His eyes are unblinking, his grin taut. You look at Owen, who is starting to look progressively paler and woozier, and then back at Dr. Geneva.

[] Accept Dr. Geneva's medical help.
[] Refuse Dr. Geneva's medical help.

Back