Project Ludovico

..... GOOOOOOODAMMIT WWWHHHYYYY!!!!?????

I tried to write a guest review of it. I tried to watch it seven times, nearly threw up for three of them, got very high thinking that might help, wrote 2k words trying to compare the philosophy of the original vs the.....fake, and then nearly drove myself to an actual mental breakdown.

To be fair, the nausea may have partially been the crohn's but I'm not sure.

Edit: What survived of my notes and review.

Last edited:
Wow fuck I don't remember that.

It's funny that watching the movie itself is enraging but I remember like none of it

Presumably your memory blanked out key portions to prevent psychological damage.

Is it worth seeing this if only to appreciate how bad this is? Or should I just drown myself in 2nd Gig again?

Honestly, this movie feels like a shoutout to the idea of "American" being a way to say something is a fake version of the real thing, like American Cheese. Its like a cultural Rorschach test. Lets take a movie and series that reveled in philosophy and questions about life and existence and boil it down to "TECHNOLOGY IS BAD EXCEPT NOT SO MUCH SOMETIMES". Lets grab Kuze and the Puppet Master, and lets jam them together into a single character. They have the same goals and personality right? They're both hu-Ohh right.

You want to know the funniest thing I think about this movie?

If they had just fully gone in on adopting the Kuze arc with Gohda and the central thing being "corrupt government official encouraging refugee terrorism to crack down on immigrants and gain power" it would have worked perfectly fine, "Americanized" the movie without actually throwing away its themes and audience resonance or disrespecting the source material, and probably been relevant enough to be remembered.

The ultimate sin of Live Action Ghost in the Shell is that it is cowardly. It doesn't want to go full-in on Americanizing the setting, but it also doesn't want to stick with future-cyberpunk-Japan. It wants to change visuals and themes to resonate with Americans but it doesn't want to actually change anything which might stop them from duplicating the shots seen in the original anime.

So on and so forth.

Like, here's my high level synopsis of Spectre in the Casing: Number Two Job

Major Jane Clarent, a full body ex-special forces military cyborg leading a paramilitary police team in a future American coastal city, is called in to deal with some terrorism by future refugees from some random future third world country.

She finds out through her hacking skills and the skills of her team that this action is an attempt to remove the Obama-like or Hillary Clinton-like president of the United States by some corrupt Homeland Security official, let's call him Limburger, who is using stochastic terrorism via the power of Big Data to radicalize refugees. But there's a twist! One of her old military friends, Konrad, is the leader of this new terrorist movement.

Will loyalty to friends or loyalty to her country win out? How will she resolve this problem?

And what happens when Limburger seeks political asylum in Russia or something?

Find out in Totally Not Ghost in the Shell: Inspired by Ghost in the Shell.

Hire me, Hollywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like, here's my high level synopsis of Spectre in the Casing: Number Two Job

Major Jane Clarent, a full body ex-special forces military cyborg leading a paramilitary police team in a future American coastal city, is called in to deal with some terrorism by future refugees from some random future third world country.

She finds out through her hacking skills and the skills of her team that this action is an attempt to remove the Obama-like or Hillary Clinton-like president of the United States by some corrupt Homeland Security official, let's call him Limburger, who is using stochastic terrorism via the power of Big Data to radicalize refugees. But there's a twist! One of her old military friends, Konrad, is the leader of this new terrorist movement.

Will loyalty to friends or loyalty to her country win out? How will she resolve this problem?

And what happens when Limburger seeks political asylum in Russia or something?

Find out in Totally Not Ghost in the Shell: Inspired by Ghost in the Shell.

Hire me, Hollywood.

Jane Clarent reporting for print job Number Two!

Yeah, it would make a lot more sense to play that entirely straight; a "this is completely normal" instead of Batou being weirded out. I mean shit, being a chunk of military hardware is a legitimate lifestyle choice in GitS

Yeah, it would make a lot more sense to play that entirely straight; a "this is completely normal" instead of Batou being weirded out. I mean shit, being a chunk of military hardware is a legitimate lifestyle choice in GitS
Doesn't help that my first exposure to a "any body you like" future was one where everyone lived in the Matrix and people just sighed and said "damn kids" when they saw someone piloting an avatar that was literally just a humanoid mass of dicks (all on fire) down the main thoroughfare.

I messed up the gif by accidentally not trimming a frame but:

It would be generally offensive in any movie, but this is adapting a universe where you can literally be a tank.
So a joke so lazy it doesn't make sense in universe.

Why is this movie so Technophobic?

Speaking of Anime and American Adaptions, or at least upcoming Adaptions. Have you seen "Your Name", Athene.?

Doesn't help that my first exposure to a "any body you like" future was one where everyone lived in the Matrix and people just sighed and said "damn kids" when they saw someone piloting an avatar that was literally just a humanoid mass of dicks (all on fire) down the main thoroughfare.
I'm halfway sure that's a thing that shows up in Snow Crash. A good book, which I would almost like to see a movie of.

So a joke so lazy it doesn't make sense in universe.

Why is this movie so Technophobic?

Speaking of Anime and American Adaptions, or at least upcoming Adaptions. Have you seen "Your Name", Athene.?

I've bugged her to watch it, it's on the list. I loved that movie.

Edit: Also, the reason it's so Technophobic is because it's been amaricanized. The US, as of the last few decades, has dissonant relationship with technology where it's adopted but vilified in pop culture. I have no idea why people are so afraid of the future. :/

Last edited:
Edit: Also, the reason it's so Technophobic is because it's been amaricanized. The US, as of the last few decades, has dissonant relationship with technology where it's adopted but vilified in pop culture. I have no idea why people are so afraid of the future. :/
Technophobia is the natural outcome of what a Marxist would probably term "false consciousness" in a high-technology capitalist state.

Something to think of btw with all that whitewashing going on:

Note how Hanka Robotics, despite being an asian company, has a white dude as its CEO. Consider how every single person in Project 2501 is Caucasian.

Having watched the movie, I didn't quite hate it, but it felt soulless and mediocre. It was just borrowing the highlights of the 1995 film, only not as good.

I feel disappointed more. This could have been great, but it's mediocre and forgettable.

...I'm not sure what it says when the two things that stand out to me are Aramaki gunning down thugs like a boss or Togusa minding his own business eating his noodles then pulling his Mateba out and dropping two dudes before they get him.

Last edited:
I'm halfway sure that's a thing that shows up in Snow Crash. A good book, which I would almost like to see a movie of.

It's a central theme in Charlie Stross' Glasshouse, too. It's about the protagonist being trapped in an early 21st century body.

I've bugged her to watch it, it's on the list. I loved that movie.

I can at least totally understand it? Some things of the future are definitely uncomfortable, and discomfort and lack of understanding play on fear. There are certainly... cyberpunk-y implications to some of the technology we're exploring right now.

Of course, I'm the guy who isn't interested in having a cell-phone until I was forced to, so maybe I'm just naturally able to understand the suspicion.

Is it worth seeing this if only to appreciate how bad this is?

Not really. The movie isn't 'so bad its good', its 'this is so garbage its terrible'. Theres no real value in watching it unless you want to hurt yourself in the most frustrating way possible.

I have no idea why people are so afraid of the future. :/

Lotta reasons. Automation fer one has left tons of people out of jobs and radically changed economy, souring people on the whole idea. Then you have the internet that, while its had positive effects, has also had extremely negative ones such as the rise of internet harassment. I'm sure there are probably other examples, but you get my gist. These people looked at recent-ish tech and its negative effects while either ignoring or not recognizing the good effects.

I messed up the gif by accidentally not trimming a frame but:

It would be generally offensive in any movie, but this is adapting a universe where you can literally be a tank.

I just thought person A was checking Person B out. still weird but yours sadly makes more sense.

so I take it this isnt indicative of the original? I never watched it due to "hype aversion" but then a friend wanted a vent sponge, and I knocked it a few pages down the list.

I just thought person A was checking Person B out. still weird but yours sadly makes more sense.

so I take it this isnt indicative of the original? I never watched it due to "hype aversion" but then a friend wanted a vent sponge, and I knocked it a few pages down the list.

You should watch the first GITS movie, if only to figure out whether you like it or not and understand what the other weebs are talking about.

You should definitely watch the Stand Alone Complex series, because its a goddamn masterpiece despite some flaws.

Back