Marca Estrella: A Game of Chivalry in the Time of Archengines

Which extra materials do you want for the chapter end?

• Warfare in the Guirlanda: Part 1

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Daily Life in the Holy Ispano Empire: Part 1

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Cofre Del Tesoro: A Brief History

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • The Geneology of House de la Bota

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Design of an Archengine

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Alien Races of the Guirlanda and Frontier

Votes: 25 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My feeling is that he's too good for us to take the lead. Too much aggression would be a mistake, I think, and if he bypasses our protection - say a kidney shot around one of the mantella, we'll feel that. At the same time, I don't think we're going to fool a practiced duelist with many more years than us who ranks in the top 50 duelists in the Empire. My feeling is that he'll see through the ruse and punish us.

However, we have fancy feet, good defense and long-to-medium range weapons. So we should be a little stand-offish here, on the defensive, and get a feeling for his strengths and weaknesses.

[X] Cautiously probe your opponent's defense before trying to launch a decisive strike.

[X] Try to reach an immediate decision, striking with maximum aggression and giving di Gano no time to breath

As an aside, it's pretty great we got the beginning of the duel to line up exactly with Update 20.

[X] Cautiously probe your opponent's defense before trying to launch a decisive strike.

Part Uno XXI: Opening Volleys
[x] Cautiously probe your opponent's defense before trying to launch a decisive strike.

You consider, watching him for any attack. Neither a feint nor an overwhelming attack recommend themselves against your wary, experienced foe. You're not sure you can finish him off quickly, and without knowing his style or plan more than you do, tricking him into attacking you with all his strength is too dangerous. You stow the spezzante and switch to a pistol saber in each hand, shift your stance to protect yourself with the shields fixed to either arm. Magazines full, you begin to strafe left, firing a few shots to gauge the setting of his mantella.

His shield draws up to defend his torso in response, and he begins to circle the other way.You watch your feet as much as the target, careful not to get out of the bounds of the ring. Shots deflect off the mass of the shield and graze his armor, ricochets raising plumes of dust from the stubble, never interrupted by the field of a mantella.

<<High-threshold?>> You ask Avagis.

<<Seems like it. Very high.>>

The Murgley ceases its circling and bounds closer, you raise the bladed armatures of each pistol-sabre and continue to track him as he closes. He hasn't fired back or made a move. What's he doing? <<How many rounds each?>>

<<Seven and eight. Three reloads.>>

You fire again, scoring a few more hits that scatter over the left arm and leg. Solid rounds score the armour, but damage seems to still be fairly superficial. <<Anything on the augurs? It doesn't look like he brought any ranged weapons!>> You roll to one side ahead of him, forcing him to skid to a stop and turn to pursue.

<<Hollow sections inside the arms and legs. It's suspicious. >>

<<Okay. I'm reloading.>> Michael's arms dip down to sheath the two sabres to reload, loading fresh shells. Murgleys holds out its sword as if goading you to attack, then, as you bring the pistol to bear, a hefty projectile launches out from the wrist. You don't see it so much as hear the whine of warning sensors in the milliseconds before they properly launch, and your body responds on instinct, taking a quick step to the right, and hearing it whirr past you. An explosion of dust and heat billows past from behind, where it hit. Murgleys charges forward before you can get away again, lunging to full extension with the compressa.

The lunge is not easy to deflect, especially not from a compressa. You drop the pistol and quickdraw your spezzante for a hard swing, smashing his shield and forcing him sideways to halt the attack. The shield dents and cracks, and the enemy archengine is thrown back and skids back a few steps, turning the motion into a trot, compressa held out before it.

You take initiative and grab the ampio with your left arm, making quick thrusts to force him on the defensive while the spezzante reforms, and then backstep to reestablish twenty meters distance. Murgleys can't do much more than and accepts your maneuver, responding by turning away a half-second and flinging a javelin at you. You have again a second to react, but the finned javelin is a slower and larger projectile.

Avagis chimes in. <<It's made of stealth material. Be careful!>>

How do you respond?

[ ] Evade forward and carry the momentum into a charge.
[ ] Evade to the side and switch back to the pistol-sabres, wearing his armor down until you know a hit will cripple Murgleys outright.
[ ] Parry the projectile and ready a counterattack, since he'll likely rush you down the moment after.
[ ] Defend with the mantella and do a full charge with the spezzante, you've confirmed he can't defend against it.

Hmm... Potentially could follow up with a round from the other wrist or leg, or the same wrist if each hollow has more than one projectile in it. Showed he likes to lunge after off-setting an enemy with a projectile with his wrist shot though, and not having actual ranged weaponry hints that he may prefer that style normally. Unlikely to be the javelin though, to long of a draw, wind-up period unless he already had another one ready in his off-hand, still might be pushing it then.

Then there's the javelins, what could the significance of them being made of stealth material be? Lose sight and he can hit you without you seeing it coming? Make it easy to re-grab them since the sensors/co-pilot need to put extra effort in to keep track of them so he can retrieve them more easily due to the opponent not guarding them as much?

The arm weapon does seem to be pretty strong, but the velocity is high, so I think our mantella should be effective. He definitely has the capacity to attack that way again, but I think we can deal with it. The thing that interests me is how high his mantella setting is if even pistol rounds don't trigger it - there has to be some significance to that.

The javelin will probably ignore our mantella's field, given the emphasis on its slowness as a weapon, and it having stealth materials means that its properties can't be seen. I feel like it's the kind of weapon designed to make you defend against with a shield, to unleash a nasty surprise. I have an idea for this, but it will only work if @Exhack and @FBH are accepting write-ins.

My thought is that we should leverage the Michael's great strength to throw the spezzante along the path of the Baudino's javelin, which should also be in-line with Murgleys. The spezzante's field will deflect the field, and Baudino won't be able to ignore the strength of the attack. He'll either dodge or do something tricky, but I think we can reasonably create an opening - and as we have two mantella we can probably defend against the most likely reaction attack he'll use, his arm cannons. The ampio is a weaker weapon than a compressa, but it should suffice.

[x] Write in: Evade to the side with the spezzante and mantella held upwards, protecting the body as possible, ready to parry that javelin if it has a surprise like rocket boosters and flight surfaces and deflect other possible incoming shots.

Then, if possible, charge at him with a thrust from the spezzante by stopping and pivoting the body of the arcengine at the last moment.

Alright, then my write-in is:

[X] Throw the spezzante to deflect the javelin and attack Mulgreys, then charge him using the mantella to attack again up close.

I think my reasoning above is pretty sound, and plays to our advantages in physical strength, defence and footspeed.

[X] Throw the spezzante to deflect the javelin and attack Mulgreys, then charge him using the mantella to attack again up close.

...Why are we throwing away our best cqc weapon for a move that doesn't play to it's strengths?

No seriously, unless your weapon is geared towards being thrown, throwing it is always a disadvantage.

If you want to throw something, then throw the spear, not the lance.

A Lance is not for throwing.

I'm gonna have to blow in from lurking to agree with Tabron, here. Throwing the spezzante just offers the Mulgreys the chance to use it instead, a weapon capable of busting through our mantella without any real loss of force, while our only other weapons are low-classed sabre-pistols with limited ammo.

Back