Ehhhhh ... nooo?
I just made a pun and said how they have characterized yang as someone who likes puns, but who has only made one in all his time on screen.
Edit:I did not mean to compare you with yang.
I never watched RWBY, but I was under the impression that Yang's reputation for punnery was at least partially based on her VA goofing around in commentaries and interviews and such.

Rule 3 and 4 Violation: I fail to see how this relates to the JoJo watch thread, but it's fairly rude.
And by "spooks", you mean "it's not a one-sided bashing circlejerk". Bloody cowards...

Last edited:
Imma stop ya there bud
And by "spooks", you mean "it's not a one-sided bashing circlejerk". Bloody cowards...

well this is certainly an interesting opinion But's pretty darn rude. And it has nothing to do with the JoJo thread whatsoever. So I'm gonna stop you before this blows up into something I don't have the patience to see.

As for everyone else...well, just make sure you stay on topic, alright? This thread is for JoJo, not RWBY.

I mean, you aren't entirely wrong, but don't overstate it.

To be fair otaku is basically the Japanese equivalent of the nerd who lives in their mothers basement surrounded by action figures.

an anime basically lets anime swallow their life whole sale.

Someone who enjoys reading manga casually isn't really an otaku.

To be fair otaku is basically the Japanese equivalent of the nerd who lives in their mothers basement surrounded by action figures.

an anime basically lets anime swallow their life whole sale.

Someone who enjoys reading manga casually isn't really an otaku.

Part of the reason there can be really out-there premises about all kinds of sports, hobbies and games is partly because of how widespread the readership is, yeah. It's not uncommon for, say, a salaryman to read manga on his way to or from work, and it isn't really considered any weirder than reading a newspaper.

Of course, that's specifically manga; anime is often still stuck in the mindset of "for kids/teenagers/man-children" at worst and "something you watch with your kids" for stuff like Studio Ghibli, kind of like Disney.

I must be out of the loop, where is that face from anyway?
To be more precise, it's a spoof off of a rendition one of Stirner's contemporaries drew of him- IIRC, it was actually Engels- that has morphed into a sort of memetic depiction of the man.

He's relevant, of course, because he established the concept of a 'Spook'- Something similar, but somewhat distinct, to the concept of a 'Meme' put forwards by Dawkins over a hundred years later- which I had referenced.

To summarize the idea to a ridiculous extent, a 'Spook' is an unquestioned axiom which an individual holds. Stirner proposed that people were 'Haunted' by these spooks, in essence being controlled and made to act in certain ways by the ideas which they had absorbed from their surroundings, their society and culture, and that any legitimate questioning of these 'spooks' would lead to harsh condemnation of the questioner by all individuals who were 'haunted' by that particular idea.

That said, this isn't a philosophy discussion thread, so.

To be more precise, it's a spoof off of a rendition one of Stirner's contemporaries drew of him- IIRC, it was actually Engels- that has morphed into a sort of memetic depiction of the man.

He's relevant, of course, because he established the concept of a 'Spook'- Something similar, but somewhat distinct, to the concept of a 'Meme' put forwards by Dawkins over a hundred years later- which I had referenced.

To summarize the idea to a ridiculous extent, a 'Spook' is an unquestioned axiom which an individual holds. Stirner proposed that people were 'Haunted' by these spooks, in essence being controlled and made to act in certain ways by the ideas which they had absorbed from their surroundings, their society and culture, and that any legitimate questioning of these 'spooks' would lead to harsh condemnation of the questioner by all individuals who were 'haunted' by that particular idea.

That said, this isn't a philosophy discussion thread, so.
no.

dis is spook >: V

stop lyin

Last edited:
S1E6: Tomorrow's Pluck
This episode picks up an instant after the last one left off, with JoJo blasting Sir Blueford clear out of the lake with a water-propagated overdrive attack.

It doesn't just vaporize him like what happened to Jack the Ripper, though. At first I thought that this was down to either water being a less optimal medium than stone, or to Blueford just being that much tougher than Jack. However, a moment later the show clarifies that while the visuals didn't suggest it, Blueford launched himself out of the water just before the leading edge of the blast could do more than graze him.

This show really needs to get better at visual storytelling. They easily could have actually DEPICTED this via slowmo or the like. It even would have probably saved screentime, since 2-3 seconds of slow motion would probably have come out shorter than the babbling after-the-fact explanation we need to hear from JoJo when he emerges himself a moment later.

JoJo surmises that he'll need to land a direct, skin-to-skin punch on Blueford to ensure he doesn't just keep evading. Blueford, meanwhile, takes a moment to be openly, vocally impressed with JoJo's trick back there. Team JoJo had a pretty disappointing first showing, but now that he's proven his mettle JoJo has actually earned the undead knight's respect. As the previous episode already suggested, the Dark Knights seem to have retained the sense of chivalry and honorable combat that they possessed in life.

Blueford invites JoJo to another round of head-to-head dueling, this time without dirty tricks like trying to drown or water-hamon each other. JoJo, confidence seemingly renewed by having drawn blood where his aqua-blast grazed the zombie's head, accepts. The two come at each other once again, and are frozen dramatically mid-charge for the episode's intro to begin.

Sono chi no sadame.

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

And we're back.

JoJo tries to use Consecutive Normal Punches on Blueford, but the latter uses his extendable hair to bind him again...and an instant later, the camera cuts back to reveal that JoJo hadn't even been standing near Blueford when he started punching, so I don't know what he was trying to accomplish by flailing his fists like that. Blueford uses his hair to fling JoJo against the trees and rocks while simultaneously drinking his blood (fortunately, his hair seems to be somewhat slower at this than the usual vampiric feeding methods. Which...well, I suppose one would expect? I dunno, I'm really not sure WHAT to expect when it comes to vampiric hair, come to think of it). Things are looking bad for JoJo; his arms and legs are tightly bound while Blueford is mauling him, and - as Zeppeli reminds us - hamon can only be projected from the extremities. Once he's bashed JoJo around a bit, Blueford draws his sword again (by hand this time) and advances on the hair-bondaged JoJo with the words "Here's your coup de grace, pup!"

That feels sort of discontinuous. A second ago, Blueford was extolling JoJo as a worthy foe who it was an honor to fight, and referring to their battle as a fight between heroes. Now he's being derogatory? Weird. Dunno if this is an Araki problem, or a translation problem. I suspect the latter, but I'm not sure.

Either way though, JoJo was actually holding back this whole time. Knowing that he has graphene muscles, neutronium bones, and an entropy-defyingly infinite supply of blood, JoJo was willing to let Blueford fling him around for as long as it took to get him overconfident. As the dark knight charges, JoJo tears himself free of the hair and kicks his foot into the side of his incoming sword to send another overdrive blast through the dense, highly conductive material of the weapon and into Blueford's flesh less than a foot away.

Well played, JoJo. Well played indeed. You're getting much better at this whole "tactics" thing, though you should still consider branching out into ones that don't require letting yourself take damage. I know you're indestructible, but there's no need to keep rubbing it in.

Meanwhile, Zeppeli and Speedwagon are having a staring contest against Tarkus.

Speedwagon gibbers spastically about how Tarkus is about to kill them, but as far as I can tell he's been nothing but true to his word. Motionlessly keeping his eye on them to make sure that his bro can have the 1v1 he requested with JoJo. Speedy, I know your whole "thing" is being a sort of Drama Empress who rules over a court of drama queens, but this is just starting to feel meanspirited. You're still butthurt over the narrator, aren't you?
By the way, one of you commented that Tarkus is the size of the biblical Goliath. Sorry, but no. According to the oldest available versions of that story, Goliath was supposed to be around six feet and nine inches (or about 206 centimeters) tall. A giant of a man, to be sure, but still within the known human range. Going by the visuals here, Tarkus is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 feet tall, which isn't remotely human. He's well into the "fantasy giant" range.

He wasn't that big in the historical flashback that showed his living self. I'm not sure if this is just stylized visuals to emphasize his brute strength, or if he's actually supposed to have a growth power. I think its the latter. Blueford has a unique ability in the form of his hair-thing, so it would only make sense for Tarkus to also have one.

Blueford's sword arm is completely disintegrated when his hilt turns into the equivalent of solid sunlight, and his hair goes limp. Either not realizing how badly he's been hurt or possessed by a vampiric bloodlust in response to the damage, Blueford comes at JoJo again, and this time JoJo's Consecutive Normal Punches are delivered at close enough proximity to actually land.

Speedwagon, how are YOU used to that sound? You were barely even around when JoJo was training. Are you really just THAT paranoid about giving the narrator a chance to butt in again? Fucking christ man, I'm on your side here but get over it.

Blueford, his body smoking and covered in burns, shakily gets to his feet. He proclaims that even though he's in immense pain, his honor will not permit him to die on the ground. He picks up his sword with his left hand and advances again, but JoJo doesn't fight back this time. He doesn't even try to defend himself.

You see, I wasn't the only one who noticed that Blueford didn't appear to feel any pain (or even notice at all) when his arm got vaporized. But now, after having his whole body suffused with JoJo's low-intensity sendo barrage, he's actually feeling pain.

Sure enough, Blueford charges, but then stops himself before his blade can connect. He realizes that he's no longer a vampire, and that his free will has been restored to him. By dropping out of his combat stance and not reacting to this next advance, JoJo was giving Blueford a chance to realize that he doesn't have to fight either, as Dio is no longer compelling him.

Around Blueford's feet, some wilted flowers start blooming, just like they did when JoJo accidentally charged up that dead tree back in "Overdrive." Apparently, JoJo's vitalizing touch power - which is either unique to him, or just exceptionally rare - can turn zombies back into living humans.

That's a HUGE risk that JoJo took, there. Perhaps even an insane one. Blueford could have been tricking him. Or, even if he wasn't, he might not have realized he was free until after the blow connected, and JoJo would have then been guilty of ruining a valuable 16th century artifact when the sword shattered against his neck. However, its also completely in character. He did more or less the same thing when he first encountered Speedwagon and Co on Ogre Street, after all.

I definitely admire JoJo's dedication to his moral code. However, I take some issues with that moral code itself, even if the show has validated it so far.

If the battle against Blueford had taken place in isolation, I'd say that JoJo did the morally correct thing by risking his own life for a chance to redeem his opponent. However, in context, JoJo seems to be forgetting that he's functionally a soldier within a larger struggle against Dio. Its not just his own life that he's gambling with when he takes these kinds of chances. Its also Speedwagon and Zeppeli's lives, once they're down a heavy-hitter and still faced with Dio and his undead army. And if that causes them to fall as well, then its the lives of countless other people too once Dio starts making his dreams of conquest a reality. There doesn't seem to be anyone else with a reasonable chance of stopping him before he causes horrendous damage to England.
(I'm not sure if I buy that Dio could actually conquer the world with ease once this group is out of the way. As we'll learn later in this episode, Zeppeli isn't the only sendogi out there, and I imagine that once Dio starts attracting enough attention the rest of the occult underworld will start making concerted efforts to put him down. But think about how many lives he's likely to consume in the meantime, and how much chaos is likely to be left in the aftermath of such a war)

So, like I said. I admire JoJo's dedication to his ideals, but I don't think he actually did the right thing here. The stakes were just too high for him to risk it all on an optimistic hunch with only a little evidence in its support.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical.

Sadly, although JoJo's revivifying power has restored Sir Blueford's mind and humanity to him, the hamon-powered punches also had their normal effect on Blueford's body before it could transform back. His leg, half-disintegrated by hamon burns, falls apart a moment later under his weight, bringing the knight to the ground. He has only minutes at best to live, but he spends them talking to JoJo.

Its as intense a moment as you'd expect. Blueford is now even more impressed by JoJo's courage and moral fortitude than he is by his combat prowess. Despite his immense pain, and the short time he was forced to spend in unholy servitude, he now considers it worth it for him to have met the likes of JoJo and had the ability to fully appreciate that experience restored. Before dying, Blueford hands JoJo his sword, which was given to him by Queen Mary, which has the word "luck" inscribed into its hilt. That word never ended up fitting his career very well, but he'll make it a better one for JoJo; he uses his own blood to add a P at the beginning, making it "pluck," an archaic synonym for "courage."

Blueford wishes JoJo the best, and proclaims that its time for him to return to the souls of his liege lady and everyone else he knew and loved in his own era. He dies, and his body crumbles away to nothing.

With that, Sir Tarkus approaches, expresses his disappointment with Blueford "going soft" by crushing the remains of his armor underfoot, and turns to JoJo with a raised sword.

And herein lies the biggest missed opportunity, not only of the episode, but probably of the entire show thus far. The good guys are going to spend the rest of this episode fighting Sir Tarkus, and they never even raise the possibility of there now being another option open.

To be fair, its not guaranteed that there is, in fact, another option. Maybe this wouldn't actually work. But I'm disappointed that the characters - especially JoJo, with the moral code he seems to be working under - didn't even think to attempt it.

JoJo has just demonstrated the ability to use his hamon-revitalization thing to turn undead back into living. And they have another undead knight on their hands. Restoring Sir Blueford also killed him, but that at least appears to have been because it happened along with a sendo ATTACK that ravaged his body before it could be turned human again. What if JoJo now tried to lay a hand on Tarkus like he did to that dead tree, using his vitalizing touch without it being part of an attack?

Maybe it wouldn't work. Maybe Tarkus' undead physiology would just shrug it off unless its already been heavily weakened. Or maybe it would do the opposite, and just cause too much systemic burning in advance of the revitalization for him to be able to survive it, and he'd die in the same manner as Blueford. But it seems like there's at least a chance that he could be turned human again, and survive it.

If JoJo tried to do this, and it didn't work, then it would be another nice character moment for him. If JoJo tried it and it DID work, though? Just think about the story potential! A sixteenth century knight resurrected into the late nineteenth? A new party member with insider knowledge of Dio's operation, and a new set of complications for the other heroes due to his outdated worldview and ethics? Hell, I'd be looking forward to the breather episode AFTER Windknight's Lot more than anything else, just to see the others dealing with Tarkus and trying to acculturate him to the contemporary world.

And come on. This is a BIZARRE adventure. The party already includes a street tough with a ridiculous hat, an Italian wuxia sorcerer with an even more ridiculous hat, and Gentleman Hulk. Fish-out-of-water Elizabethian knight would be a perfect addition!

Unfortunately, the possibility isn't raised by any of the characters even hypothetically, and the way that the episode's ending is going to frame things makes me doubtful that it'll happen in the next ep either. Like I said, a missed opportunity, both for JoJo's heroic doings and for the show to have a potentially great new subplot added to it.

That's where I'll leave it for now. Part two of this review should be up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back