The Fool can't discorporate its arm to let Jotaro fall without also dropping Iggy, presumably.

It's also worth pointing out that you can see Star Platinum's hand is out, holding on, as well. If nothing else, if Iggy did that Josuke would probably just grab Iggy directly with Star Platinum.

Then Iggy shits in Jotaro's hat. End of episode.

It's not shit, it's gum. Regurgitated gum, most likely, so still disgusting, but still.

It's not as bad as that, though I don't blame you for assuming Araki went with scat humor given his track record. The brown stuff in Jotaro's hat is just pre-chewed coffee gum.

Is that actually true, or is that the result of the localizers not wanting to put in a scat joke?

Or is the coffee gum itself already a joke about poop?

We're getting all poopception in here.

I wonder if Leila Hann's brain would melt if she gave Yugioh the same treatment she's giving Jojos Bizarre Adventure.

Is that actually true, or is that the result of the localizers not wanting to put in a scat joke?

Or is the coffee gum itself already a joke about poop?

We're getting all poopception in here.

I wonder if Leila Hann's brain would melt if she gave Yugioh the same treatment she's giving Jojos Bizarre Adventure.
It's just the way it's drawn. The stuff in Jotaro's hat looks more like gum than poop. Poop usually isn't that viscous and I can't believe I just typed that.

N'doul answers Jotaro's question about why he personally feels such loyalty to Dio. After developing his stand very early in life, he quickly became estranged from society because of his freedom from consequences. He committed theft, murder, whatever he felt like, and lost faith in himself ever becoming anything better than a feral animal in human form (he even compares himself to Iggy in as many words). Dio was the first person to ever both actually intimidate N'doul, and also to ever acknowledge N'doul as a person of substance and worth. Also, he apparently had the hots for Dio's "large and beautiful" body; I'm sure Jonathan would have been flattered. Since his meeting with Dio, N'doul has not feared death, but has only feared that Dio would stop acknowledging him as a person with intrinsic value. He concludes the speech, and his life, with the line "evil people need an evil savior." Jotaro then looks out across the desert at the sunset, wondering who Dio really is. What's actually behind all the reputation and machinations.

Imagine me saying that entire paragraph in the most indifferent, emotionless, deadpan voice ever. Because I don't care about it. I should care. It's normally the kind of theme that does get my attention. But I can't bring myself to, because nothing in this show actually matters. Any sort of arc that's being started here is liable to be forgotten or undone without a second thought.

It's worth noting that this is somewhat consistent with what Dio was doing back in S1 immediately post-vampire transformation. He went and found a bunch of evil dudes who were all incredibly impressed with how much more evil and charismatic Dio was than them so they decided to follow him.

Whether or not it's good or makes internal sense is up for grabs, but it's a thing.

Whether or not it's good or makes internal sense is up for grabs, but it's a thing.

Jojo's never lets "making internal sense" get in the way of telling a good story.

It's unfortunate that Jojo's seems to oppose letting those pesky "good storytelling practices" get in the way of telling a good story.

But you have to keep in mind that this series is going to be completely unapologetic about how it throws internal consistency out the window for the sake of making really cool things happen. The series is going to pretend there is no inconsistencies and hope you forget about it because the poses and the superpowers are really cool and used cleverly. And by "hope" I mean "assume", most likely because it figures all the posing and unfiltered raw MANLINESS will distract you from thinking about the internal inconsistencies of having high school students with biceps bigger then their heads.

It knows the logic makes no sense, it wants to distract you from that fact by making the story cool enough and manly enough and "clever" enough that you forget to pay attention to the bad logic. The bad logic that would prevent the author from telling the really cool story he wants to tell if applied consistently.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that this is somewhat consistent with what Dio was doing back in S1 immediately post-vampire transformation. He went and found a bunch of evil dudes who were all incredibly impressed with how much more evil and charismatic Dio was than them so they decided to follow him.

Um. No.

He did that with one evil dude, as far as we were shown. After that, he indiscriminately turned everyone he could get his hands on.

And they weren't "incredibly impressed with how much more evil and charismatic Dio was than them." He zombified them, forcing them to obey him regardless of what they would have thought of him otherwise.

Um. No.

He did that with one evil dude, as far as we were shown. After that, he indiscriminately turned everyone he could get his hands on.

And they weren't "incredibly impressed with how much more evil and charismatic Dio was than them." He zombified them, forcing them to obey him regardless of what they would have thought of him otherwise.
Yeah, Dio got his minions through necromancy, not charisma. You know who did get allies through the methods you describe?

Jonathan.

Jonathan didn't accumulate an army, but his allies were fanatically loyal and cited Jonathan as their inspiration to heroism. Speedwagon is the most obvious example, but even Zeppeli saw Jonathan as something of a messiah. Hell, even Dio ended up obsessed with the guy, to the point where he stole Jonathan's body.

What I'm saying is, DIO totally got his cult-developing ability from Jonathan's muscles.

S3E3: Khnum's Oingo and Thoth's Boingo
This episode starts out with us being introduced to the villain's of the week, who I doubt I'm alone in thinking should have had a show of their own. A pair of brothers, one adult (though given the way teenagers are often drawn in this series he could be meant to be Jotaro's age) and the other around 12-13, named Oingo and Boingo. Why Araki decided to have any bad guy besides these two try to molest a preteen girl I really can't parse, not that it would have been a good thing to include in the story either way, but moving on. The introduction immediately lets us know what these two can do and what they're all about. Oingo is a blase and slightly dimwitted tough whose Stand lets him shapeshift himself to impersonate other people. His kid brother Boingo's Stand takes the form of a comic book that shows near future events in a crude and hyper-grotesque style. Their stands are named after Khnum and Thoth; the creator of the human body and the master of knowledge, respectively.

Here we can see them explaining their powers to no one for the audience's benefit. Which is especially irritating because the intro had already SHOWN them use their powers by this point and made this completely unnecessary and intrusive.

After using Boingo's power to get to the city of Aswan in time to intercept the Crusaders and avoid a deadly bus accident along the way (welcome to the Middle East), they disembark and consult Boingo's comic again to see what murder method will produce successful results. The comic shows them serving the Crusaders poisoned tea at one of the Aswan cafes, and them drinking it. So, they go into the cafe, Oingo knocks out (or kills? He cracks him on the head with a frying pan, and there's plenty of blood when he hits the floor, but its not clear if he's actually supposed to be dead or not) the barista and impersonates him, and they wait for their marks.

As they do so, Boingo laughs. He has the weirdest laugh in this entire show, which is saying something. It sounds like he's repeating the words "ooky cooky" over and over again while also choking to death. Even Oingo is weirded out, despite presumably being used to this.

These two are definitely the best antagonists of SDC thus far. Although really, the episode treats them as protagonists, which also helps set it apart from the others in a good way (just to rub it in, their theme music is a goofy remix of Jotaro/Star Platinum's theme). If SDC had changed the format like this more often, it would have helped a bit with the monsters of the week getting redundant.

Jotaro, Joseph, and Polnareff come walking up the street, discussing Abdul and Polnareff's hospitalization for the injuries they suffered in the previous episode. Abdul is going to be fine by tomorrow once his body recovers from the blood loss, but it sounds like Kakyoin is going to be permanently blinded. Previous episodes have sent mixed messages about which senses (if any) he can use through Hierophant's Green, so that might put him out of the action for good. Anyway, Polnareff drops a cigarette butt on the ground and lets it fall where it may to help them choose which of the many functionally identical cafes they should go to, and naturally it leads them to the one that Oingo and Boingo have infiltrated. They start to order black tea (again, as the comic predicted), but then Joseph realizes that with them so close to Dio's base and with his agents everywhere they should be taking precautions against things like poison, so they order some canned soft drinks instead.

Well, on one hand, it makes sense that they're thinking this way. On the other, it makes little sense that they'd only decide that NOW IN EGYPT is the time to start doing so, given how relentlessly they've been attacked all along the way here. It comes across as way too convenient. Like Araki didn't think of Dio's agents trying to just poison their food or kill them in some other mundane way until now, so the good guys and the bad guys both coincidentally realize the possibility at exactly the same time.

I'm a little more chagrined at happens next though. When Joseph requests that the cola bottles not be opened until they arrive at the table, and that Oingo bring them a specific set of bottles from the refrigerator that he randomly points to, Polnareff tells him he's being too paranoid. After all, how could the Babyeaters possibly know exactly which cafe on exactly which street they'd be stopping at?

Sigh.........

I guess you could excuse this on account of Polnareff the idiot being the one making this argument. But the fact that no one is telling him "Polnareff you idiot we already had LITERALLY THAT EXACT THING HAPPEN TO US" suggests otherwise.

It's such a specific recurrence, and so specifically ignored, and from so recently in the story, that I'm having trouble accepting that Araki forgot this time. It's either self parody, or some kind of trolling. Since this is a comedy episode, the former seems much more likely. Still kind of irritates me though, because it once again raises the question of who the hell Shawarma Steve actually was and how he got to that place and when.

One of the other patrons complains that the cola he ordered is warm. It's not clear if Oingo sabatoged the refrigerator to ensure that the Crusaders would want a hot drink instead, or if this is just a lucky coincidence for him and his brother. The Crusaders decide to go to the cafe across the street, but someone even dumber than Polnareff picked up his still-burning cigarette butt and put it in that cafe's outdoor garbage can.

Boingo's prophecies are unavoidable after all. The Crusaders reluctantly stay where they are and order the hot tea. The risk of being poisoned isn't worse than lukewarm coca cola, I guess.

Jotaro, Polnareff, and Joseph all drink the poisoned tea, bringing one of the panels of Boingo's comic to life, but then spit it out before they can swallow when Iggy steals another patron's meal and creates a big scene. Apparently, the Thoth comic only shows a very short way into the future, and due to the crude and minimalistic style its panels are vulnerable to misinterpretation.

The brothers seem awfully put out about this. I get the impression they haven't had their Stands for very long, and thus don't quite realize the extent of Thoth's limitations. Neither of them being particularly bright is likely also a contributing factor.

The fact that they try a much more reckless plan next, once again without waiting for Thoth to confirm anything beyond the panel that looks like a victory, is another case in point.

Before that happens though, Thoth informs Boingo that his older brother will punch a random passerby because he doesn't like his face, and then opportunistically steal his wallet. Oingo does this even as his little brother speaks, though its not clear if he did it because he heard the prophecy and decided to act on it, or if he wasn't paying attention and the comic was just giving Boingo a realtime update.

Aside from being a little excited at the profits they got from this, Boingo dismisses this as unimportant with regards to their main objective at the moment. Instead, he reads on, and the comic shows Oingo making a small bomb, wrapping it inside a glued-back-together orange peel, and slipping it into the jeep that the crusaders apparently manage to put back together after the Geb battle. The last few panels show them driving to the hospital to check in on Kakyoin and Abdul, and then a close up of an explosion blasting Jotaro to bits.

A couple of disaffected young Egyptians with a penchant for incompetent assassination attempts and homemade bombs.

Oh my.

Confident that this will eliminate at least one of their targets, the Muslim Brotherhood Brothers do as Thoth shows them, making a wire bomb disguised as an orange and slipping it into the back seat of the Crusaders' jeep, where sure enough there's already a bag of freshly bought oranges to put it next to. It's doubtful they wouldn't have noticed anything amiss, considering that the dumbass broke into the vehicle by literally bashing one of the handles off, but it ends up not mattering anyway because Joseph and Polnareff arrive just in time to see someone fumbling around in the back seat.

Guess what Oingo does to prevent them from attacking.

If you were literally the dumbest person ever, then - knowing what Oingo knows, and having his powerset - what would you do?

It's just beautiful in its headdesk-worthiness, isn't it?

Joseph asks "Jotaro" why he's still here when he said he was going to meet them at the hospital (wait, how does that even make sense? How is Jotaro supposed to get there on his own, and why would they separate needlessly when they've just had this conversation about being in enemy territory? Eh, whatever) and why he isn't wearing that school uniform he's doctored into a dorky pseudo-trenchcoat. He's able to wriggle his way out of those questions with stupid answers that they just baaaaarely fall for, and they then usher him back into the jeep and begin driving.

If I were Oingo, I think this is the point where I would resume my natural form and surrender. Joseph and Polnareff might still kill me, but they also might not, and at the very least I'd know for an absolute fact that it won't be me getting blown to pieces. But, as we've repeatedly established, Oingo is a caliber of moron that even Polnareff and possibly even the person who threw Polnareff's cigarette in the trash should be in awe of. He goes along with them, while desperately trying to think of a way to escape death by explosion. Boingo, who's slightly less dumb than his older brother, shouts fruitlessly after the jeep in a way that's...actually kinda sad and touching, despite the dark comedy that this episode has been successfully shooting for.

But also, just look at this:

JOTARO EMOTING.

It's not actually Jotaro, of course. But just seeing any expression on a face that looks like his other than mild irritation or stoic neutrality is just...man, it makes me think about all the emotions that our alleged protagonist could have been feeling this entire time, but hasn't.

What's more amazing and kind of frustrating isn't what I'm seeing, but what I'm hearing. Daisuke Ono is a talented voice actor who has played a very diverse list of roles in various anime over the last eighteen years, and this episode drives home what an absolute waste it was to cast him as Jotaro Kujo. Hearing Jotaro's voice actually emote, actually rise and fall, feels almost uncanny after twenty-six episodes of brooding monotone. And maybe its just me, but somehow it just sounds like Daisuke is really having fun while voice acting Jotoingo in his rising distress and desperation. I can't help but wonder if he was just getting bored of this damned show and delighted at being allowed to actually use more of his skills for this one precious episode.

Well, Jotoingo tries throwing the orange out the window, only for Iggy to foil the plan once again by grabbing the orange and jumping into the jeep with it. I guess Iggy can run as fast as a jeep, or was using the Fool to glide after it, whatever. His reaction to this is incriminating enough that Polnareff and Joseph start to suspect that this might not actually be Jotaro after all. Honestly, they should have suspected that much earlier given that an enemy stand user has already tried to impersonate a party member back in Singapore, but previous episodes didn't happen except when they did. I'd expect them to ask Jotoingo to summon Star Platinum to make sure it's really him, but instead they...um.

Well, this is a comedy episode, so I suppose this is more appropriate. But I have some issues with the way it was done.

Polnareff tells Jotoingo to do his "special trick" that we've never seen, heard of, or even had alluded to up until this moment. Apparently, Jotaro can do something like the Audrey Horne oral sex audition trick from Twin Peaks, but with lit cigarettes instead of cherry stems (if you still really want the cherry stem version, don't despair, Kakyoin is still around). And, to make sure it's really Jotaro, Polnareff asks him to do it with five cigarettes simultaneously.

My god seeing these expressions on "Jotaro's" face is just 100/10

If this cigarrette trick had been alluded to earlier, I'd be much more satisfied with this. As it is, it not only seems like a very artificial gag (if the audience was expecting Polnareff to ask him to summon Star Platinum, but it turns out that no, its that stupid cigarrette trick we saw that one time fifteen episodes ago, it would have been much funnier), but it also feels distinctly out of character for Jotaro. When have we ever seen Jotaro do tricks, show any interest in tricks, or behave frivolously or playfully in general? He's the last member of the party that I could imagine showing something like this off, with the possible exception of Abdul. So, not only is this trick something we've never seen before and thus have no reason to put faith in, but it's also something we have trouble imagining even could have happened offscreen. It's a blow to what little consistent characterization Jotaro still has.

On the bright side, when Jotoingo is stressing out over trying to get the cigarrettes turned around in his mouth while eyeing the orangebomb in terror out the corner of his eye, we get the best piece of imagery in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure bar none.

I'm skeptical that the show is ever going to manage to top this going forward.

Well, except for maybe this one, I'm starting to get seriously afraid of hitting SV's image limit before I can finish the episode:

Sure, it requires a bit more context to understand the humor of this picture. But still, goddamn. Oingo is the Bad Luck Brian of JJBA.

Splitting the review due to SV's image limit.

Last edited:
It would be kinda amazing if the cigarette trick was not actually a thing, and Joseph and Polnareff were just fucking with an obvious impersonator. Would also be a callback to that sea episode where Jotaro has exposed the captain by bullshitting about Stand users' noses (come to think of it, that time also involved cigarettes).

It would be kinda amazing if the cigarette trick was not actually a thing, and Joseph and Polnareff were just fucking with an obvious impersonator. Would also be a callback to that sea episode where Jotaro has exposed the captain by bullshitting about Stand users' noses (come to think of it, that time also involved cigarettes).

It would be funny, yeah. But also very stupid of them, considering that the last impersonator type enemy the group encountered also had a subtle and slow-acting killing method built into his stand (Yellow Temperance, one of the eps I skipped).

Last edited:
Oingo and Boingo are the perfect examples of something that a friend once said about Jojo's. "Fate is real in this series, and it's fond of jerking villians around." You're on the top of your game, think you've won it all, everything has been going your way? Nope, Joeseph's arm is gonna hit you in the throat/you'll be caught in a car with your own bomb, you get the idea. Oingo and Boingo literally put their trust in fate, destiny and prophecy to get them through problems without having to worry too much, relying totally on Toth to plan their actions, but even a 100% reliable oracle isn't perfect in the JoJo world. Especially when it's filtered through these two.

In Polnareff's defense, this can be chalked up to coincidence. Dan actually does have a part-time job as a street vendor and his stand ability only requires his targets to be in the same city, not right in front of him. Stalking the Crusaders or figuring out what path they may take through Egypt is a lot easier than figuring out which of two identical restaurants they'll go to.

In Polnareff's defense, this can be chalked up to coincidence. Dan actually does have a part-time job as a street vendor and his stand ability only requires his targets to be in the same city, not right in front of him. Stalking the Crusaders or figuring out what path they may take through Egypt is a lot easier than figuring out which of two identical restaurants they'll go to.

How did he know they'd stop in that town?

How did he know they'd decide to get shawarma instead of buying groceries?

Do we really know that there was only one shawarma stand in that town anyway?

He just happened to be working in the one exact restaurant along the entire goddamned India/Pakistan highway route that they'd be going to?

Did Dio know that there'd be enemies approaching through that specific vector when he recruited Dan however long ago?

How did he know they'd stop in that town?

How did he know they'd decide to get shawarma instead of buying groceries?

Do we really know that there was only one shawarma stand in that town anyway?

He just happened to be working in the one exact restaurant along the entire goddamned India/Pakistan highway route that they'd be going to?

Did Dio know that there'd be enemies approaching through that specific vector when he recruited Dan however long ago?
I'm pretty sure he's saying that the crusaders stopping at his stand didn't matter either way. Even if they'd just driven by him he still would have pulled the same shit. Presumably them passing through that town was an educated guess based on the last assassin's reported location.

I... totally misread that as Dio having a part time job as a street vendor, and I was trying to picture how exactly DIO would handle trying to sell food to passersby.

It probably involves a lot of shirtless posing and taking advantage of Jonathan's physique to earn more sales.

Oingo and Boingo are the perfect examples of something that a friend once said about Jojo's. "Fate is real in this series, and it's fond of jerking villians around." You're on the top of your game, think you've won it all, everything has been going your way? Nope, Joeseph's arm is gonna hit you in the throat/you'll be caught in a car with your own bomb, you get the idea. Oingo and Boingo literally put their trust in fate, destiny and prophecy to get them through problems without having to worry too much, relying totally on Toth to plan their actions, but even a 100% reliable oracle isn't perfect in the JoJo world. Especially when it's filtered through these two.

In their defense, Thoth hasn't yet been shown to be wrong - everything it depicts does happen, it just lacks in the surrounding context and is in the hands of a pair of dumbasses who don't appear to realize how powerful a tool perfect prophecy can be, even with the limitations involved.

In their defense, Thoth hasn't yet been shown to be wrong - everything it depicts does happen, it just lacks in the surrounding context and is in the hands of a pair of dumbasses who don't appear to realize how powerful a tool perfect prophecy can be, even with the limitations involved.
Oh sure, but even villians like Dio or Kars aren't immune to the winds of 'Fate' even if they don't directly interact with it like Oingo and Boingo. These two are just being jerked around directly by the winds of fate, rather than having intermediaries like 'luck' or the heroes ruin their hard work. I suspect that, in the hands of a more canny and cunning user, Toth would be even more cryptic and misleading.

Back