I think it's the part where the wounds caused by kamaitachi don't bleed, i.e. the vacuum of the whirlwind sucks out the blood and you don't notice the injury until it's too late.
Uh, no.
The Kamaitachi's cut doesn't bleed because their blades are so sharp and the cut itself happens so fast that your body doesn't notice it, sometimes for several minutes.

Also IIRC "vacuum blades" are a misnomer because it isn't the actual vacuum that cuts, it's supposed to be the air rushing in to fill the vacuum that does the cutting.

Last edited:
Uh, no.
The Kamaitachi's cut doesn't bleed because their blades are so sharp and the cut itself happens so fast that your body doesn't notice it, sometimes for several minutes.

Also IIRC "vacuum blades" are a misnomer because it isn't the actual vacuum that cuts, it's supposed to be the air rushing in to fill the vacuum that does the cutting.

What's with all this actual history in a JoJo thread? After all, there's three reasons I relate to Araki:

1. Loves bright colors and muscles.
2. Doesn't know science.
3. There are actually only two reasons.

I think it's the part where the wounds caused by kamaitachi don't bleed, i.e. the vacuum of the whirlwind sucks out the blood and you don't notice the injury until it's too late.
Uh, no.
I recall the kamaitachi of myth acts in three steps (in fact, some depictions of the kamaitachi claim it's three weasel-youkai working together specifically to carry out all three steps):

1: The kamaitachi rams or trips the target, causing them to stumble and feel the wind displaced by its passing.
2: The kamaitachi slashes with a sickle mid-sprint (hence the name. Kama = Sickle. Itachi = Weasel), leaving the wound.
3: The kamaitachi applies a salve, closing the wound (either the wound re-opens later, or the injury leaves a welt that looks kinda like a recently-closed cut).

Last edited:
bold of you to assume I have any goals beyond accumulating and hording likes, like some kind of twisted AI clone of Scrooge McDuck trained on debate forums
There are legends about a poster that was obsessed with acquiring likes. In time, this desire consumed him, and he was no longer an ordinary poster. He became something... different. In his dark caves, his claws glisten in the dark as he clutches his immeasurable likes, forever cursed to desire more yet unable to leave his lair. Even now Fafnir the Shit-Poster remains vigilant, hunched over his hoards.

S1E16: Lisa Lisa the Hamon Coach
Author's Note: kissanime turned out to have problems of its own. I've moved on to animeplanet, but unfortunately they only have the sub available, so we're back to that at least for now.

I've heard mention of this Lisa Lisa character, generally with mixed sentiments. Based on the thumbnail for this video, Lisa Lisa is the rose petal-trailing woman from the intro, which...well, I've had bad experiences with animu women who expel rose petals behind them, but I'll keep an open mind.

The episode starts off unpromisingly, with the narrator who I swear must have murdered Smokey and taken over his intended season 2 role reminding us that JoJo has two time bombs implanted in his body and a month to train and defeat Wamuu (no mention of Esidisi though, so he's not even doing his job properly) if he wants to live past that. No previous episodes have felt the need to start us off with a bland repetition of "the story so far," so this really just makes it seem like the narrator, personally, has a sort of contempt for the audience's attention span that the rest of the show doesn't share.

Cut to Venice, where JoJo is freaking out over the situation he's gotten himself into. In particular, he's kicking himself for having proposed a one month deadline for their rematch, rather than, say a year or more. Which is a very good point; JoJo should have asked for as much time as possible, and then bargained down as needed until reaching a compromise Wamuu accepted.

Oh...actually, apparently JoJo just completely misread Wamuu on that front, and had been expecting him to negotiate up. He had expected Wamuu to laugh off his promise to improve that much in just a month, and propose something more reasonable himself.

Okay, I really like that. JoJo ended up putting too much faith in his magic predictive powers, and it backfired. Its exactly the kind of mistake someone like him might make, especially in the heat of the moment with a deadly foe standing over him.

An amusing exchange follows from this.

Lisa Lisa the Hamon Coach said:
Caesar: A tip for you, JoJo. Stop screwing around and act like a man! We need to think of something, and fast!

JoJo (panic immediately subsiding): I know. This is just how I think.

Caesar (sighs): Well, when you're done with your thinking freakout, I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to do here.

In addition to just being funny, this is a much more tolerable handling of these two's rivalry. Granted, Caesar needed to see JoJo possibly sacrifice his own life to save his own in order to get to this point, but regardless of how we got here this new dynamic between them is infinitely more watchable.

Caesar gives JoJo a little hamon lesson involving manipulating fluids inside of a glass of water, and advises him on ways he can make his energy projection more efficient. This scene feels a little off, though, because we've seen JoJo pull off some pretty impressive ripple feats using exactly these tools (the coke pistol, the plasma-reflecting shotglass, etc), and his inability to do what Caesar is asking here seems like a big step back from those previous instances. True, we've never seen him hold liquid inside of an upside-down glass before like Caesar is asking him to do, but we've seen him make liquid do just about everything BESIDES that inside of a glass container, and we've seen him make OTHER objects stick together, so I'm a little confused as to why this should be beyond his current abilities.

So, its a nice little training scene, and it also serves as a reconciliation between him and Caesar, seeing the latter willing to teach something and (perhaps more importantly) the former willing to learn. But the detail of what is being taught feels off.

We conclude this little lesson with Caesar telling JoJo that he's brought him to Venice to meet the one who trained him (I guess young Caesar found someone more convenient than the Tibetan monks. Maybe another old friend or student of his grandfather's, given the country?), but if he wants to be able to beat the pillarmen in just one month's time its going to take some serious work. I'm a little more optimistic, personally; I don't think it took Jonathan more than a couple of weeks to go from complete novice to decent-ish hamon user, and Joseph has the benefit of many years of informal practice as well as superior learning ability and inventiveness. Even if Joseph doesn't share Johnathan's undefined Chosen One bullshit attributes (which isn't certain), I'd be surprised if his existing foundation didn't allow him to progress at least as quickly.

Unfortunately, JoJo considers the word "work" to be utterly anathema to himself, and howls in despair at mention of it. Though this may just be a symptom of him thinking again, who knows. Cue intro.

You know, there's something I probably should have pointed out at the end of the previous episode. The gang went to Rome in the interest of stopping the pillarmen from awakening and doing whatever evil thing they're planning to do once awake. As a consequence of their initial battle, JoJo is now being forced to confront them again in a month's time to save his own life. But, what are the pillarmen going to do within that month? Or year, if JoJo had been sharp enough to ask Wamuu for more time to begin with?

Presumably, the same thing that made the good guys want to prevent their awakening in the first place.

I don't think this is necessarily a flaw in the story. Their initial battle proved that JoJo and Co can't really do much of anything about the pillarmen for now, so even without the wedding rings of death it would make sense for JoJo to avoid them and frantically train for a while in preparation for the next battle. However, its still a little weird that the primary reason our protagonist is fighting the antagonists now isn't because of the latter's evil plan that he wants to stop, but because of a much pettier and more personal reason that arose through relative happenstance. This is dilluted by the fact that JoJo did originally go to Rome to stop them in order to prevent them from doing whatever thing they're planning, but that's become almost irrelevant at this point, and...well, like I said, its not a flaw necessarily, its just odd.

I think it would have been a nice touch if Caesar had mentioned to JoJo that asking Wamuu for a month rather than a year might actually work to their own benefit, because in a year's time the pillarmen are much more likely to have succeeded at turning themselves into literal gods and eaten half of the world's human population in the process. Forcing them to show themselves again in the much nearer future, when their chances at having made serious progress with their plan are lower, is actually quite a lucky stroke. Ah well.

Fade into the streets of Venice the following morning. JoJo is musing aloud about why a sendo master would be living in a loud, distracting tourist town like Venice as he and Caesar walk along the canals. Upon reaching a wharf, Caesar hails a nearby gondolier and asks how long and expensive Seplina Island might be to boat to. The gondolier completely ignores him at first, but then - when pressed - slowly turns around in the gondola to reveal a creepy, heavily painted mask through which they regard the Caesar and JoJo with silent menace.

I'm calling it: Lisa Lisa either heard about them from Speedwagon, or used some hamon prophecy thing to predict it, and disguised herself as a Happy Mask Boatman to fuck with them as some kind of test.

As JoJo and Caesar watch in confusion, the gondolier (now visibly female, since she's standing up and showing her silhouette more clearly) who is most definitely not Lisa Lisa water-walks out toward the dock and bashes JoJo across the face with a hamon-charged oar,

On one hand, if this IS Lisa Lisa, that's not exactly the most encouraging welcome for a prospective student. Pretty sure old Tonpetty would have raised an eyebrow at this. On the other, if she knows in advance that JoJo is a hamon user, this is probably the best way to get a sense of what he can already do, and his healing factor should make any non-fatal injuries she inflicts a nonissue. Even so...this lady is a character, assuming its her.

JoJo goes flying back, but manages to catch himself on the water's surface and stand on it himself (again, he seemsto be pretty good at this fluid manipulation stuff, so I'm not sure why he struggled with Caesar's cup of water), and prepares to deal with the attacker.

Before he can close the distance again though, Lisa Lisa removes her creepy mask while acknowledging that JoJo seems to have a decent enough base of skill and power for her to work with. Caesar is surprised to see his old coach, as he had somehow failed to recognize her under the mask despite her distinctive silhouette and abilities. You're kind of an idiot, Caesar. JoJo is surprised to see that a woman can use sendo. You're kind of a prick, JoJo.

Speaking of pricks, the narrator chimes in right there to tell us that Lisa Lisa is a mysterious sendo master of unknown origins, and that even her true name is a secret. He also tells us that "she will be JoJo's coach for as long as it takes, or at least for the next month."

Motherfucker, do you REALLY think we need to be told this almost halfway through the goddamned episode? There hasn't even been a COMMERCIAL BREAK as far as I can tell.

This narrator was always an irritation, but he's getting worse. Much worse. He might actually be among my biggest annoyances with the show at this point.

Anyway, JoJo stomps around on the water being sexist at her for a minute, and Lisa reveals that she already knows about his predicament (I'm guessing Speedwagon told her) before hydrokinetically launching herself off of the water's surface and landing on JoJo's shoulders, where she takes the opportunity to roughly attach a gas mask to his head.

Or...not a gas mask, apparently. A "breathing correction apparatus," possibly of Lisa's own invention, that makes breathing impossible unless you do it in perfect hamon rhythm. She rationalizes this with the assertion that if he can't keep his hamon breathing going for a month, then Wamuu is just going to kill him at the end of it anyway, so there's no reason to not risk his life in the interest of maximizing his training. She does tell him he can remove the mask to eat and sleep though, so that's nice of her.

She then says that JoJo isn't her only student at the moment; she's creating a crack squad of elite sendogis in the hopes of killing the pillarmen before they can do whatever they're planning to do. Interesting bit of reflection, here; putting painful masks on people in order to turn them into powerful servants. I wonder if Lisa might have been gazing into the abyss for a bit too long.

This isn't just a post-pillarmen thing either, according to Caesar. He seems to remember these masks from his own training with Lisa, although she wasn't nearly as aggressive about it. So, either she's been dealing with and (perhaps unconsciously) inspired by the stone masks for much longer than the pillarmen have been known about, or its just a rather spooky coincidence.

JoJo splashes into the water until he can regain control of his breathing, and then morosely pulls himself onto the dock as Lisa and Caesar do some friendly catching up. Eventually, Lisa turns to leave, and he makes dejectedly sexist comments at her back. Even Caesar is pissed off, though I think this is less because of JoJo's general sexism and more because he's turning it against someone who Caesar actually cares about.

Sigh...

Well, she takes them to her island, which is thirty minutes from Venice and has a giant spooky cathedral on it. Also, It must be surrounded in some kind of supernatural doom cloud, because the sky has sunny and cloudless when they left but now, well:

Cut to Speedwagon having tea with Peach and Smokey. SMOKEY COME BACK WE NEED YOU THIS NARRATOR SUCKS. Speedwagon fills them in on what's been happening, but doesn't mention the wedding rings of death (among other reasons, JoJo threatened to beat Speedwagon unconscious if he tells Peach about that. And honestly, I think it really would be a bad idea). This scene lasts for two damned seconds before we cut back to La Isla de Spoop.

As phase one of JoJo's training, and to improve on Caesar's (wait, that doesn't make any sense...) Lisa bodily throws the two of them into a pit of slippery oil and tells them they need to climb a sheer stone pillar for twenty-some meters if they want to stay down there until they starve. JoJo is still wearing the mask. Caesar isn't (presumably because he's already done that part). They try hamon-ing their way out, but it seems that this oil's slipperiness is harder to modify than the traits of water, wine, or coca cola, so they don't make it far. JoJo manages to magic a rope out of nowhere, and for a moment it seems like he might have figured out that this was really a test of cunning rather than raw hamon skill, but then Lisa throws a knife into the pit to cut the rope in half so I guess not.

Caesar tries to help JoJo, but its clear that he needs all the energy and attention he can spare if he's just going to have a chance of getting himself out of the pit. JoJo asks Lisa if she's really going to let them die if they can't get out, and she just stares at him coldly and walks away. JoJo's response to this is to make angry sexist comments and bemoan the fact that Lisa's hotness just makes her behavior even more intolerable.

Of all the things you could be complaining about Lisa for, JoJo, I'm not sure her sex or appearance should be anywhere near the top of the list.

I also have to kind of raise my eyebrow at Lisa. Assuming she actually is serious about letting them die if they can't make it...Lisa, can you even afford to do this right now? The pillarmen are on the loose. Shouldn't you be trying to minimize attrition among your students, so that you'll have as big an army as possible during the coming battle? Even if your normal procedure is to let all the ones who can't make it die, because Edgy Training From Hell yada yada, I don't think that NOW is the time to be indulging yourself (or your traditions, whatever) in that way. Even having a few extra weaker hamon users around might tip the scales, if you field them alongside your star pupils and use tactics that maximize your numerical advantage.

...or actually, maybe I'm wrong. If it turns out that pillarmen can make zombies or something the way that vampires can, which would hardly be surprising, then minimizing the number of targets available to them would actually be a smart move. Okay Lisa, I take it back, your training can be as edgy as you want.

That brings us to the halfway point. This episode is...bewildering? I think that's the word.

Last edited:
Lisa Lisa is the best female character we'll get for a while. In that JoJo at this point tends to forget females exist.

...or actually, maybe I'm wrong. If it turns out that pillarmen can make zombies or something the way that vampires can, which would hardly be surprising, then minimizing the number of targets available to them would actually be a smart move. Okay Lisa, I take it back, your training can be as edgy as you want.

I mean, they either have access to or created the Stone Masks, so technically they can do you one better than that.

Apparently Lisa Lisa's entire existence can be accredited to the way Hamon works or more importantly where it draws its energy from. when Araki was coming up with the character and design of Joseph's Baron Zepeli equivalent he realized that, having created a magic martial art based on breathing, a Hamon wielder did not have to be a musclebound Fist of the North Star style goliath or old master archetype but could in fact be anyone. So why not have a woman as one of the primary Hamon Martial Artists in Battle Tendency, in fact why not take it a step further and have the woman be the Hamon expert who was teaching Joseph rather than a rival or random background character.

Regardless of the actual execution of Lisa Lisa's character her existence caused extensive ripple effects in both Araki's future work and Shonen in general causing a shift away from the hulking wandering martial artists body type to a more mystic approach that in author's minds allowed for both child protagonists and woman as fighters that could be taken seriously. Main characters whether enemies or allies could eventually look like whatever the author wanted them to look like without having to worry about breaking a readers suspension of disbelief thanks to this shift towards a more fantastic approach.

Whether or not the idea of woman only being equal to men in a fight when supernatural arts are there as an equalizer is sexist is of course its own can of worms.

Last edited:
Back