Actually, there is an explanation for that, admittedly one that I wasn't expecting to come up nearly this often when the Let's Watch started. Namely that David Productions did stupid stuff again. The shadow meld thing wasn't ever used in the manga, Dio just jumped away. They apparently decided to give him a new power that breaks the usual thematics of Jojo vampires to make one scene look slightly better.

On the plus side they actually significantly reduced the size of the exposition about the backstory of the Knights and removed a second entirely extraneous segment of it about Bruford in particular being legendary for bypassing a massive test of strength and endurance (best 77 enemy knights in a row, taking a weight off of each of them) by just using his hair to win despite that. Also his hair was significantly more hardcore in the manga, in that it actually burrowed into the executioner's flesh, killing him. So Bruford's ridiculous murder hair is apparently all natural, only bloodsucking added by the vampirism.

So in the manga Dio was less ridiculous and everyone else was moreso, basically?

Last edited:
I don't suppose the manga includes any kind of explanation for how exactly his prehensile hair works, if it's not a vampire power. Is there some kind of Hamon hair-styling power?

The English have a racial ability to conduct vital energy through their hair, in this setting. Blueford took a feat chain that lets him use that to move and manipulate his own hair, and Speedwagon took another that lets him animate objects through it.

I don't suppose the manga includes any kind of explanation for how exactly his prehensile hair works, if it's not a vampire power. Is there some kind of Hamon hair-styling power?

It's just stated that it's a technique he somehow developed in order to complete the Challenge of 77 Rings without being as huge and strong as Tarkus and the other 3 winners of the challenge. It's the kind of logic that makes JoJo characters just the best.

"Hmm, all this weight will make me unable to move, so how can I win? I know, I'll train the ability to wield a sword with my hair. This is clearly the most logical course of action."

Last edited:
Bruford's hair is akin to Speedwagon's hat and ability to smell evil. Apparently within possibility for a normal human in this world. There's an explanation of how becoming a zombie made it even stronger, but nothing on how it works in the first place.

This explanation just amounts to muttering about Trugor Pressure. Because apparently being zombified made his hair gain the qualities of plant cells. Or something. This too is excluded from the anime, presumably for making less sense than just not explaining it.

Why do they even bother trying to excuse Dio's ice powers with some nonsense about evaporated blood when the whole series basically already runs on "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit"? :p

Why do they even bother trying to excuse Dio's ice powers with some nonsense about evaporated blood when the whole series basically already runs on "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit"? :p
It generally tries to explain the actual powers. It just also sometimes throws in "mundane" skills that it doesn't feel the need to explain because they're not connected to the Mask or Hamon. Like Johnathan's ability to block fists with his face.

What's the point of elementary-school backyard PvP LARPing without trying to one-up the ridiculous bullshit your friends improvised with your own ridiculous bullshit that perfectly counters it? That's the essence of JoJo right there.

Bruford in particular being legendary for bypassing a massive test of strength and endurance (best 77 enemy knights in a row, taking a weight off of each of them) by just using his hair to win despite that. Also his hair was significantly more hardcore in the manga, in that it actually burrowed into the executioner's flesh, killing him. So Bruford's ridiculous murder hair is apparently all natural, only bloodsucking added by the vampirism.
what the fuck

What's the point of elementary-school backyard PvP LARPing without trying to one-up the ridiculous bullshit your friends improvised with your own ridiculous bullshit that perfectly counters it? That's the essence of JoJo right there.
I remember seeing some kid on a forum RP used earth spirit powers as a jumping off point to grant himself omnipresence and teleportation.

Back