Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Kantai-key Fried Collection
(It's Fusou-licking good)

Yamashiro: "I'd be willing to test that!"
Shigure: "Hey, count me in, too!"
Fusou: "Oh god why"

I need more sleep.

Oh, also, I finally got Chapter 3 of Waves Of Change completed and in a readable state; you can find it here:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Warning: long chapter is long

Last edited:
Okay, I have basically no familiarity with Kancolle fanfics, but I have to ask: has anyone ever done a fanfic with a shipgirl version of the Willie D Porter as the main character? :p

In today's update, Tama got a Kai Ni. Other than general uparming, she got a new camo pattern on her uniform. In addition, an "Arctic camouflage plus Arctic equipment" is implemented, equippable on Kiso Kai Ni and Tama Kai Ni, giving bonus evasion and armour. The uniform's likely to evoke Gangut's due to the 'Northern' association.

The arctic camouflage is based upon the real ship's paintjob; here's Tama with it:

---

Also, I'm working on something.

"It seems that you already have an idea for the club's first subject of discussion, Eldridge!"

"Sure do, White! Here it is! "

White Plains examined the book Eldridge handed over. An icon of an eye stared from its glossy cover, along with the words...

"I really thank ISR for managing to find this book. It's a real rare one, turns out!"

"What? You asked ISR to find this? Eldy, you..."

"Eeeh? What's wrong with that? The Portrait of Markov, the middle book in the Markov Sequence Trilogy, preceded by Markov's Eye and concluded by Chains of Markov, is the greatest uncelebrated gems of the mystery genre in the last twenty years! It even has a video game adaptation released six years ago in late 2017--"

"Okay, okay! Save that for later. I get it already. Have you posted the announcement?"

Last edited:
Something copied over from the Pet Peeves thread.

RE: the teitoku thing, I think there's a decent mix of possible reasons. IIRC didn't people try fighting the Abyssals with conventional forces before shipgirls started showing up in force? Seems like that would probably attrited the pool of officers of any navy that participated pretty badly, so there were probably a lot of early promotions that put people into ranks they look awfully youthful for. That, and there's the possibility that he's an OF-5 that was given an acting rank of Rear Admiral specifically for the purpose of playing nursemaid to a bunch of hormonal warships without needing to dedicate a real OF-7/8/9 to that position (and any potential scandals that resulted from it). Or, hell, maybe he's supposed to be an OF-5 who distinguished himself in combat against the Abyssals, got brevetted, and then had that used as the excuse to put him in charge of the whole mess without giving the person in charge of the shipgirls authority to do much more than relay orders and take care of routine maintenance and therapy.

And my response to this was.

Maybe.........

It doesn't matter whether or not you're in the service and/or whether or not you hold a rank. To the ship girls, you're their admiral/commander, period.

Thoughts?

I agree that the two aren't mutually exclusive. My roster of admirals come from diverse backgrounds: one's a former JGSDF combat engineer, the other is a Russian Army colonel, but once they command Shipgirls they are are Admirals, sort of like the shipgirl chooses the officer she have faith in.

All the examples you listed are your characters that are in service (any retired?) with a branch of their respective nation's armed forces.

Got anyone that's pure civilian, if not from any of the emergency services?

All the examples you listed are your characters that are in service (any retired?) with a branch of their respective nation's armed forces.

Got anyone that's pure civilian, if not from any of the emergency services?

Not exactly. But the in-universe Joint Command has a substantial 'magic', philosophy and cultural research branch called the Cryptarchy, and that branch do have civilians: scientists, philosophers, artists and whatnot who works with certain shipgirls.

Something copied over from the Pet Peeves thread.

And my response to this was.

Thoughts?
Well, duh.
Shireikan and Teitoku mean "Someone who commands a ship/fleet". It's self-evident that anybody who commands a ship(girl) will be a Shireikan (Commander) and/or Teitoku (Admiral) even if they aren't Kaigun-Chuusa (Commander) or Kaigun-Taishou (Admiral).

It's just like how the pilot currently in charge of an airplane and aircrew of 2-3 in a commercial flight is the Captain, even if they are not a Captain.

There's no reason to justify something that doesn't need to be justified. Rank and job are different things.

Last edited:
There's no reason to justify something that doesn't need to be justified. Rank and job are different things.
I agree with your argument. But the caveat is that someone will want to know about how chain of commands and responsibility and oversight. That's how you build responsible organization.

I don't see *how that is relevant?

Or necessary in a story, for that matter.

Last edited:
So I found some translation of Azure lane shipgirls lines and one of Enterprises caught my eye.

Luck is part of my strength? Then can I give a bit of it to my sisters?

That kills me in a way that only someone that has siblings can understand.

A lot of people forgot that behind the Grey Ghost is someone who lost the greatest. Her family.

So her scrapping may have actually come as a relief, cause she could see her sisters again.

Along the same vein I image the Iowa class will be very jealous of because of that.

Salem last of the heavy cruisers is also the last of her class.

USS Kidd, and Sulivans, and any other Fletcher museum went from a class of about 175 to being able to count on one hand. Ditto with the Submarines. with the three different major classes being close enough to be half sisters more or less.

Texas is the last of the super dreadnaughts. Her sister gone for testing, the young ones she train dead or scrapped. Kinda put a different spin on her condition doesn't it? Like she trying to rejoin them.

Alabama and Massachusetts lost both big sisters.

North Caroline lost her younger sister to the torch too.

So the Iowas may have to watch what they say else they may end up hurting their friends by mistake. And they may not realize it until they get punched for being insensitive...

You know, sometimes here we talk about "What might have beens". Here's a bit of an odd one... There is a class of warship known as Monitors, basically put they are shallow drafted vessels with Battleship guns mounted on them. Now, we know that the British used them and even had two up to WWII. So what about the Japanese deciding to build some? As for turrets... apparently they built two turrets for the A-150 class for testing in Kure. Makes one wonder what those as shipgirls would be like.

You know, sometimes here we talk about "What might have beens". Here's a bit of an odd one... There is a class of warship known as Monitors, basically put they are shallow drafted vessels with Battleship guns mounted on them. Now, we know that the British used them and even had two up to WWII. So what about the Japanese deciding to build some? As for turrets... apparently they built two turrets for the A-150 class for testing in Kure. Makes one wonder what those as shipgirls would be like.

Probably be big chested with skinny hips and spindly legs.

Back