Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Am I the only one who's seriously annoyed by the common characterisation of PT Boats (and probably other boats of comparable size) as non-sapient dogs? To me that just breaks the theme of anthropomorphic ships (anthropomorphism = the adding of human traits and characteristics unto a non-human thing/being), and it also misses many possibilities for unique characterisations.

I mean, I know the blue-water navy played a part in the Vietnam war, but it was rather distant from the main action, as far as I understand it. The ones I'm more interested in is the brown-water navy, who actually fought directly against the VC in the jungles themselves, supporting infantry and amphibious assaults, throwing around napalm, and all that other stuff.

If they returned as girls proper instead of animals, I could see quite a bit of friction and culture clash between them and the blue-water, WWII girls. Vietnam, after all, was a radically different conflict than the "Good War", after all.

The way I envision it, these riverine girls will start appearing right around the time that several Abyssals get it in their heads to start hiding out in the small, easily-defensible corners of river deltas and basins like the Mekong, Yellow, Yangtze, Ganges, Mississippi, etc.

Your standard ocean-going shipgals get sent to root the buggers out, but they fail miserably, for the same reason that you don't just sail battleships into rivers. Or use them in COIN operations.

Now, given that a Shipgirl is actually quite a different unit from ships-that-we'd-recognise-as-ships (a.k.a. hulls), you could justify it by making Sparkly Shipgirl Bullshit prevent or heavily impede the passage of your garden-variety sea-going Shipgirl in shallow-water conditions, due to it being "wrong" and them being "not designed for such conditions" (despite the fact that these girls seem to displace less water than a canoe when using their rigging).

But whether it makes sense or not, these small bands of Abyssal guerillas have forced humankind to send in their mundane river-craft up the rivers to deal with them. And you all know how well normal craft tends to do against Abyssals. <makes a throat-slitting motion>

So, finding themselves with their backs to the wall, humanity desperately calling back any riverine ship to help. And what the USN got, in particular: A bunch of foul-mouthed, Jimi Hendrix-blaring, insubordinate, boonie-and-jungle-jacket-wearing lolis that seem even smaller than the very smallest of destroyers.

(Yes, I'm just piling on the Viet-vet stereotypes here, but there'll be time for more nuanced characterisation later)

Or maybe they just summon themselves, saving a hapless cargo ship or attack craft from a sudden ambush. The point is, their here and they're ready to kick Abyssal ass.

As for what distinguishes them visually from the other ship types, that's something I'm still unsure about. I don't think it'll be a good idea to make them even younger than the already damn young-looking loli-stroyers.

So, thoughts?

Last edited:
Dogs are probably a tad less horrifying than what the game decided to go with for the abyssal PT Boats. :V

There's a nice new doujin out on Dynasty Reader:

Starting Today I'm Your Elder Sister.

It's about seaplane-tender Chiyoda who is jealous because her onee-san Chitose must divide her attention between her and another Chiyoda who is remodeled to her CVL form.

Akitsushima then decides to become seaplane-tender Chiyoda's onee-san. Near the end, another Chitose is constructed

Always interesting to see how writers and artists depict the 'multiple copies' concept in their works.

There's a nice new doujin out on Dynasty Reader:

Starting Today I'm Your Elder Sister.

It's about seaplane-tender Chiyoda who is jealous because her onee-san Chitose must divide her attention between her and another Chiyoda who is remodeled to her CVL form.

Akitsushima then decides to become seaplane-tender Chiyoda's onee-san. Near the end, another Chitose is constructed

Always interesting to see how writers and artists depict the 'multiple copies' concept in their works.
can you provide a link i actually want to read this but i cant find it even with multiple searches.

The only time that I have used animals personally is for stuff under 50 tons and even then it's because otherwise you would be talking infants (and I've stated that once they hit an certain age, they might become a shipgirl, similar to how a fox that lives a hundred years becomes a Kitsune).

No. It's basically reducing the people that served on these small craft to animals.
You can't go "must respect the servicemen!" when the basic premise of this franchise is taking boats and making them into cute girls in possibly lewd clothing and/or possibly not-exactly-flattering personalities and then taking the crew and making them into chibis.

Like, come on.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's seriously annoyed by the common characterisation of PT Boats (and probably other boats of comparable size) as non-sapient dogs? To me that just breaks the theme of anthropomorphic ships (anthropomorphism = the adding of human traits and characteristics unto a non-human thing/being), and it also misses many possibilities for unique characterisations.

I mean, I know the blue-water navy played a part in the Vietnam war, but it was rather distant from the main action, as far as I understand it. The ones I'm more interested in is the brown-water navy, who actually fought directly against the VC in the jungles themselves, supporting infantry and amphibious assaults, throwing around napalm, and all that other stuff.

If they returned as girls proper instead of animals, I could see quite a bit of friction and culture clash between them and the blue-water, WWII girls. Vietnam, after all, was a radically different conflict than the "Good War", after all.

The way I envision it, these riverine girls will start appearing right around the time that several Abyssals get it in their heads to start hiding out in the small, easily-defensible corners of river deltas and basins like the Mekong, Yellow, Yangtze, Ganges, Mississippi, etc.

Your standard ocean-going shipgals get sent to root the buggers out, but they fail miserably, for the same reason that you don't just sail battleships into rivers. Or use them in COIN operations.

Now, given that a Shipgirl is actually quite a different unit from ships-that-we'd-recognise-as-ships (a.k.a. hulls), you could justify it by making Sparkly Shipgirl Bullshit prevent or heavily impede the passage of your garden-variety sea-going Shipgirl in shallow-water conditions, due to it being "wrong" and them being "not designed for such conditions" (despite the fact that these girls seem to displace less water than a canoe when using their rigging).

But whether it makes sense or not, these small bands of Abyssal guerillas have forced humankind to send in their mundane river-craft up the rivers to deal with them. And you all know how well normal craft tends to do against Abyssals. <makes a throat-slitting motion>

So, finding themselves with their backs to the wall, humanity desperately calling back any riverine ship to help. And what the USN got, in particular: A bunch of foul-mouthed, Jimi Hendrix-blaring, insubordinate, boonie-and-jungle-jacket-wearing lolis that seem even smaller than the very smallest of destroyers.

(Yes, I'm just piling on the Viet-vet stereotypes here, but there'll be time for more nuanced characterisation later)

Or maybe they just summon themselves, saving a hapless cargo ship or attack craft from a sudden ambush. The point is, their here and they're ready to kick Abyssal ass.

As for what distinguishes them visually from the other ship types, that's something I'm still unsure about. I don't think it'll be a good idea to make them even younger than the already damn young-looking loli-stroyers.

So, thoughts?
You don't like PT Corgis?
I will say that I love the idea of the Abyssal invading various rivers and basins.

But then again, me a cat person. :V
In other words, worshipper of the Spawn of Satan. :mob:

I also don't like PT boats portrayed as animals, even if they are portrayed as dogs. For me, it breaks the theme. Also, the excuse of "they'd look like small children/toddlers" doesn't fly. Some DDs have quite the mature look, though I will agree none look older than 18.

And now for some reason, I have the mental image of PT-109 being a loli that makes Iku blush.

So, thoughts?
Maybe they're chibis rather than looking like actual people? Or does that still have the same problem?
Or you could just give them adult proportions but sub-destroyerloli size.

For reference:

It gets a tad problematic if you flip that to shipgirls.
Dogs are less traumatic, and have more or less the same level of sapience and intelligence.

You could do allied PT Boats as normal-looking PT boats but scaled to proportion and manned by fairies.

The whole PT corgi thing is a bit of follow the leader from the old days.

planefriend did it first in the kant-o-celle question largely because planefriend loves to screw with his players. It then spiraled out from there.

One of the main problems with the kancolle fannon, is that there is no established fannon. Bits and pieces will vary between stories simply because there is no right answer. This leads to stories borrowing pieces from each other, and certain tropes taking on a life of their own (like the PT-corgies, or taffy 3 must be memetic badasses).

Honestly it all comes down to author preference. If you want to make a story using your specific interpretation of things, go ahead. It will be just as right as all the other kancolle stories out there.

This is unrelated to the discussion but I found it interesting that the three Abyssal PT individuals have subtle differences as if in different stages of development.

The first one, left-most, appears to have a human head, encased within the black helmet.

The middle one only have a human lower jaw; the upper jaw is one with the helmet.

The last one have no human features completely on its head.

Also, here's Arcade update trailer, featuring Kongou and Hiei Kai 2, and Oboro.

Last edited:
Note to self: Never let the destroyers know about the existence of Ice Cream Burrito.

what is wrong with you American

or it is Mexican

who ever invented that

Back