Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

-- Moving on, Murakumo certainly looks different to the others, especially her outfit.

Murakumo has the temperament of a queen; Of all the starter ships you choose her only to be met with such an unpleasant attitude, so I was afraid admirals would end up hating her when, for example, sortieing her for the first time......
-- I suppose there are many admirals out there who're actually into that sort of thing. *laughs*

She might be suspecting the same, so she has her moments where she behaves like that, and when she finishes a harsh tirade with "Now do your best", you just know that she actually cares about you a lot, don't you think? Yep, even Murakumo is a good girl!

This is very please to read. Hehe.

Murakumo was my starter ship as well, and in fact it was news of her getting Kai Ni that got me started on the game.

Just an offhand idea, not really all that fleshed out, but this song gave me the thought... I would be interested in seeing a Kancolle/Tron crossover, with the Abyssals as a virus of some sort. Plus, the Shipgirls in the Legacy aesthetic would look awesome.

Last edited:
I've only seen the original. Is Legacy any good?
From what I heard, hell no.
I wouldn't say it's great, but its negative reputation is vastly exaggerated. On the most basic level, its music is amazing and it looks awesome. As far as story goes, it's a bit generic in some ways, but it's still actually got a lot of interesting themes and even just plot concepts; it's what it does (or rather doesn't do) with them that holds the movie back. Lots of cool stuff that is looked at but not really explored as in-depth as I'd have liked. Still worth a watch, IMHO.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's great, but its negative reputation is vastly exaggerated. On the most basic level, its music is amazing and it looks awesome. As far as story goes, it's a bit generic in some ways, but it's still actually got a lot of interesting themes and even just plot concepts; it's what it does (or rather doesn't do) with them that holds the movie back. Lots of cool stuff that is looked at but not really explored as in-depth as I'd have liked. Still worth a watch, IMHO.
Of course the music is amazing, they got Daft Punk to do the soundtrack.

What if…

Xander no-middle-name-admitted Harris (from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") finds out one day he is a natural-born kanmusu (kantai musuko). What would his ship likely be?

APA-2 Harris

EDIT: Or if we're emphasizing the Xander-gets-beat-up thing, AKA-6 Alchiba.

Torpedoed twice off Guadalcanal while carrying ammunition and drummed gasoline, Alchiba was beached, burned for five days and was declared a total constructive loss, and still landed 80% of her cargo, was torpeded again while still beached and undergoing temporary repairs two weeks later, burned another three days and was declared a total constructive loss again, but managed to limp to Tulagi, then Espiritu Santo, and finally California for repairs. "Never has the Navy axiom 'Don't give up the ship!' been more faithfully honored. Alchiba survived."

She was sold to the Netherlands after the war for merchant service and had a long and productive civilian career, finally being scrapped in 1973.

Last edited:
My idea for a story with the opening chapter here:

Sydney slowly drifted away from the battle scene. Her bow was barely hanging on by a few girders attached to her main deck. Bloody oil oozed from the ruin that was the port side of her face, the mangled stump of her starboard arm and from the extensive wounds on her back and chest. Her uniform was torn in many places, stained with her oily blood, and charred by fires. Fires burned out of control amidships, centering around the destroyed Walrus on her catapult. Fires also raged unchecked below decks. In the worsening seas, water was pouring into her hull from numerous shell holes and the damaged bow, to the point where she was carrying more than half of her displacement in water. Nearly blind, mute, her remaining arm hanging uselessly at her side, she staggered slowly on her crippled engines. Her crew, all 645 of them, were either already dead or dying.

The fires amidships started cooking off her 4-inch ready use ammunition, and fresh pain wracked Sydney with each explosion. This was nothing compared to the agony that flashed through her as her bow finally tore away in the increasingly heavy seas and sank immediately. Her stern section drifted for a few minutes before swiftly following, as she felt her overstressed watertight bulkheads collapsing and the water rushing in. As she drifted into the dark depths of the Indian Ocean, the only things going through her mind were the pain of the battle, the grief of failing to protect and defend her crew and the anger at the complacency, mismanagement, arrogance and incompetence all around that led up to this moment. She closed her eyes and lay still as she fell deeper into the darkness. Her last conscious thoughts were wishing there was a way to make all those responsible, pay for this in full measure.

This story would be about HMAS Sydney, and her turn to the Abyss. On November 19. 1941 Sydney approached what her captain thought was a lost Dutch freighter in Australian home waters. It turned out to be the German raider Komoran. Coming within 1,000 meters of Komoron, Sydney was savaged by deadly accurate gunfire and a torpedo within 30 minutes. Sydney succeeded in setting Komoran on fire and Komoran was sunk when the mines she was carrying exploded. In the meantime, Sydney drifted away, not to be seen again for 67 years. Sydney was the largest Allied warship lost with all hands, and the loss of her entire crew accounted for more than a third of all RAN casualties in the entire war.
This story is about her turn to the Abyss, and her effect on the war, her former compatriots, and herself.

Wikipedia on the battle:
Battle between HMAS Sydney and German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran - Wikipedia

Last edited:
So under the assumption that I can finish the current chapter of WoC in the next week or so, I'm looking at writing a quick fluffy oneshot for Valentine's Day. I have a few different thoughts that I can't pick between, though, so what would people be most interested in seeing?

-Second half of the Yura/Yuudachi thing I started a while back
-Fubuki/Akagi
-Mutsuki/Kisaragi
-Kaga/Zuikaku
-Kongou/Teitoku
-Shouhou/Self-Insert Female Admiral (Worth a shot, right? :V )
-Kitakami/Ooi, Kitakami/Abukuma, or Ooi/Kitakami/Abukuma
-Musashi/Kiyoshimo
-Kagerou/Shiranui/Hayashimo
-Akashi/Yuubari
-Other?

I have weird ships.

Last edited:
So under the assumption that I can finish the current chapter of WoC in the next week or so, I'm looking at writing a quick fluffy oneshot for Valentine's Day. I have a few different thoughts that I can't pick between, though, so what would people be most interested in seeing?

-Fubuki/Akagi
-Mutsuki/Kisaragi
-Kaga/Zuikaku
-Kongou/Teitoku
-Musashi/Kiyoshimo
-Other?

I have weird ships.
Umikaze and Oyashio

-Fubuki/Akagi
-Mutsuki/Kisaragi
-Kaga/Zuikaku
-Kongou/Teitoku
-Musashi/Kiyoshimo
-Other?

I have weird ships.

From the list, Fub/Akagi. Or if we are looking for something new:

- Teste/Mizuho
- Musashi/Maya or Musashi/Taihou due to my personal bias.

-Fubuki/Akagi
-Mutsuki/Kisaragi
-Kaga/Zuikaku
-Kongou/Teitoku
-Musashi/Kiyoshimo
-Other?

I have weird ships.
See my list of ships in the Belated Battleships thread. It's the first post on page 482. I have it bookmarked so I can refresh my memory at any time.

I'm only loosely familiar with Umikaze and know virtually nothing about Oyashio, but I can look into them and see if I can come up with something!

From the list, Fub/Akagi.
Sweet, alright!

I might be able to give this one a shot, already have some ideas for it.

See my list of ships in the Belated Battleships thread. It's the first post on page 482.
Heh. Maybe someday myself and Shouhou can be added to that.

This would be sweet.

I'd also be interested in this one.
Yay, thanks!

I have a few different thoughts that I can't pick between, though, so what would people be most interested in seeing?
Of the ones you mentioned, these are the ones I'm most interested in: (list is in order)
  1. Kagerou/Shiranui/Hayashimo
  2. Mutsuki/Kisaragi
  3. Shouhou/Self-Insert Female Admiral (Worth a shot, right? :V )
  4. Kitakami/Ooi, Kitakami/Abukuma, or Ooi/Kitakami/Abukuma
  5. Second half of the Yura/Yuudachi thing I started a while back
  6. Akashi/Yuubari
As for why? Shiranui is cute and I'd like to see more of her. I'm interested in an exportation of these two Mutsuki, especially why they get the same boiler as Amatsuskaze, even if I like their sisters Minazuki and Satsuki more. (Maybe they could appear?) Shouhou needs more screen time. Similarly, I like Abukuma and want to see more stories with her. (I also feel like Kiso might work in this.) You should finish what you start. Akashi is at the bottom because I'm upset with her for not showing up.

Back