Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

I'll admit, I have come across a Yamato/Fubuki pic that made me consider it. And if I ever write that Admiral Fubuki fic then it might be a Fubuki/Kongou...

Alright, so here's my plan.
-Umikaze and Oyashio, potentially. I'll look at them and see if any ideas come to mind, but I'm not too familiar with either.
-Musashi/Maya, probably. I have an idea for this one already.
-Fubuki/Akagi, probably. I have a fairly solid idea for something with them, that would also kind of relate to the Yura/Yuudachi thing.
-Yura/Yuudachi Part 2, definitely. I should finish what I started, after all.
-Kitakami/Ooi-and/or-Abukuma, probably. I don't really have an idea for this one, but the interest seems to be there.
-Kagerou/Shiranui/Hayashimo, potentially. I have vague ideas, but nothing really solid.

So the most likely one is the latter half of Muted Colors/Gentle Colors, and then some others if there's time. And of course, this all depends on if I can get through this rough spot in WoC quickly enough.

Speaking of WoC, I was thinking about a bunch of stuff today, and kind of mentally solidified some of my ideas regarding the story's thematic elements and how much or how little* I'll be addressing IRL historical context. I'll leave the full ramble for when I get to those points in the actual story, but the TLDR version is that in a roundabout way, my take on the Abyssals represent the past, rigidity, and resentment, while the Kanmusu represent the future, second chances, and forgiveness.

*My end conclusion was that the history is going to be addressed, and again plays a part in the thematic backbone of the story as per the aforementioned symbolism, but isn't going to be discussed as frequently or blatantly as in fics like Belated Battleships or Changing Destiny. Great stories, of course, but I'm taking a different tack with WoC, and that lack of being a central focus most of the time itself plays into the aforementioned theme.

Last edited:
-Umikaze and Oyashio, potentially. I'll look at them and see if any ideas come to mind, but I'm not too familiar with either.
-Fubuki/Akagi, probably. I have a fairly solid idea for something with them, that would also kind of relate to the Yura/Yuudachi thing.
-Kitakami/Ooi-and/or-Abukuma, probably. I don't really have an idea for this one, but the interest seems to be there.
-Kagerou/Shiranui/Hayashimo, potentially. I have vague ideas, but nothing really solid.

So the most likely one is the latter half of Muted Colors/Gentle Colors, and then some others if there's time. And of course, this all depends on if I can get through this rough spot in WoC quickly enough.

Speaking of WoC, I was thinking about a bunch of stuff today, and kind of mentally solidified some of my ideas regarding the story's thematic elements and how much or how little* I'll be addressing IRL historical context. I'll leave the full ramble for when I get to those points in the actual story, but the TLDR version is that in a roundabout way, my take on the Abyssals represent the past, rigidity, and resentment, while the Kanmusu represent the future, second chances, and forgiveness.

*My end conclusion was that the history is going to be addressed, and again plays a part in the thematic backbone of the story as per the aforementioned symbolism, but isn't going to be discussed as frequently or blatantly as in fics like Belated Battleships or Changing Destiny. Great stories, of course, but I'm taking a different tack with WoC, and that lack of being a central focus most of the time itself plays into the aforementioned theme.

Looking forward with enthusiasm. While I try to wrangle my own writing.

Excellent. Love me some vanilla Kancolle.

I loath to post piecemeal without anything very substantial again but here goes - some of it may be interesting, may be not.

The themes of TWSF will be a major point of discussion in the upcoming post. Those themes are:

1. Family.

2. What each faction represents. The Shipgirls represent death and destruction, but also rebirth and change. Abyssals represent life and existence, but also malignancy and emptiness; that is, the desire to continue existing and to reshape reality to match that existence.

3. The relationship between the created and the creator. We touched a bit on this with the post about the Striders.

4. It is no longer a secret, I think, that the magic and technology in this universe (or rather multiverse) is inextricably linked; that is, magic has always been sufficiently advanced technology.

5. The use of simulated iterations of reality to gain a form of limited prescience. That is; the war is prosecuted also on the statistical and simulational front, a race of knowledge and research to defeat each other. Get this; the reason Kurosawa's command is revolutionary and why he basically wrote the book on Counter-Abyss warfare is that he understands the war's scope as transcending physical, logistical, and ideological realms, but also within the numbers; that is, the war is a clash between two opposing statistical processes.

"The purpose of research is to turn mistakes into insights, the purpose of science is to turn defeats into victories."

And this quote from Immortal Defense:

"There is one thing you can rely on - and that is being wrong as often as you are right. So whether you are right or wrong - be exceptional at it."

also, a final piece:

The shipgirls are the way they are because it is the only way they can survive. They are the result of a selective pressure in a near-godlike cognitive environment where the individual mind is statistically insignificant on a cosmic scale but collective transcendent cognition on a noospheric scale inevitably collapses.

Last edited:
Vanilla Kancolle with just the in-game girls. Focusing on them and nothing else. Unlike the other stuff you'd see.
OH, yeah
Like without all the USN OCs and stuff?
Yeah, I personally prefer to stick with what's in the game as of yet.
Which is why I want them to hurry up and add Hood so I can ship her with Bismarck
Anyway
Vanilla is good. :)

Seriously, why are you so obsessed with this pairing (or pairings in general)? Just asking.
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I think the appeal of that particular pairing is because of the idea of them, starting as mortal enemies, being able to grow past that and become very close. That's how I see it, anyway.

you know I have come to notice something in regards to the kancolle crossovers there seems to be next to nothing in regards to fantasy it usually ends up as sci fi or a modern crossover as such i would like to pose an idea.

She had felt something grab hold of her. That fel monstrosity had grabbed her and was had sent some of her deck crew falling to their deaths. This Would not stand. seeing her king fall to stab the monster that had killed her crew filled her with light and rage. She didn't even notice when she began moving past Genn one of her temporary crew members and leapt off her deck. Using her rotors to slow her decent she began moving past the blasted landscape of the broken shore towards her king's position. What she saw filled her with rage Her king the one who was willing to sacrifice everything for her and her crew was being dragged towards the cause of all of this suffering by legionaries beaten but alive. Glancing to the ground she saw the rallying blade on the ground, she moved her hand toward it picking it up and it was then that she had made her decision. He had told her to go but now she was going to help him. Raising the blade she charged giving her peoples eternal battle-cry.

"FOR THE ALLIANCE!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so yeah I saw the broken shore cinematic from the alliance perspective and immediately thought yeah that ship is so becoming a shipgirl after that display of badassery. Also flying ships from WOW that just screams USE US PLEASE GIVE US SOME LOVE.

We tend not to send shipgirls to fantasy worlds given that it's basically worthy of a Vlad Tepes Award. Sticking the Fubuki sisters atop the walls of Helm's Deep would result in 10,000 deader than dead Uruk-hai. Dumping Sendai into the Northern Water Tribe when the Fire Nation besieged it is just asking for the fleet to be wiped out as Aang scratches his bald head. Sending Ashigara alongside Itami and Company into the Special Reigon would ensure that Bad Thingstm​ happen.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I think the appeal of that particular pairing is because of the idea of them, starting as mortal enemies, being able to grow past that and become very close. That's how I see it, anyway.
While we don't have that in game, we do have the following similar pairings:
Iowa/Katori
Saratoga/Ryuujou
Inazuma/Miyuki (I've seen some cute stories about this.)
Many, but not all, of those involved in Mogami's unlucky experiences. This includes:
  • The time she and Fubuki unleashed the most devastating torpedo volley on record (on an IJA landing force).
  • The time Mikuma ran into her (and then sank the following day).
  • The time Saratoga bombed her.
  • The time Mutsu exploded when they were both in port.
  • The time Nachi ran into her.
  • The time Akebono scuttled her.
I'm pretty sure there's a similar list for Aoba, and someone could make a list of scuttling pairs.

I've honestly never much been a fan of making pairings based entirely on one moment in their ship histories. Hood and Bisko is common, but the one time I've written both in a story (Indy) they're just friends. Close friends, but friends. Because one blowing the other up does not a relationship make. I can easily see them bonding over being symbols and their shared history but I just...don't see a love blossoming from it.

Similarly, pairing Enterprise and Yamato makes no sense outside GG and even then...the unevenness of that relationship makes me go eeeeeehhhh.

Or Sara with any Japanese ship really. RJ and Sara never even saw each other. Nagato and her may find something in common, but I don't see it going anywhere remotely romantic. There's just not enough common ground there.

It's reasons like that why I prefer Enterprise and Zuikaku for an example. There's a lot of shared history and experiences between the two 'lucky' carriers.

Or- if you're not someone who ships her with me :V -pairing Sara with Vicky (Victorious). She's an outsider, which lessens the somewhat squicky Sister Sara stuff that prevents me from pairing her with any American carriers. But they have the connection and shared airgroups during the war which is probably a hell of an intimate thing in ship girl terms.

Back