Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

So one thing I've been wondering about
What's the deal with Shigure? It seems she's really really popular, but I can't quite tell why, or get a read on her personality from the fanworks I've seen with her in them, and all the wiki offered was something about PTSD over Night Battles. Could someone here explain her better?

Also due to how game mechanics work, Shigure's high luck means she is the go-to ship for night battle torpedo cut-ins so in those first few events when a new(ish) admiral is bashing their head against the last boss, quite often Shigure's torpedo cut-in will be what clears the map/event for the player and those are the kind of things that make a girl stand out over others.

True, Shigure does not have the highest luck stat, but with how early most admirals get her and the tendency of the ships that drop early to be the highest level ships, she ends up being the goto ship for cut-ins until an admiral really starts focusing on increasing the depth of their DD roster.

D.

Technically, Shigure as a ship was already famous even before Kancolle, having been given the monikers of "Shigure of Sasebo" or "Unsinkable Shigure" who fought through a lot of battles and emerged as the lone survivor.

Kancolle extrapolates this as having the second highest Luck stat of all the destroyers, however the reason she's endearing as a Kancolle character is simply because she's portrayed as a rather soft-spoken and gentle personality who nonetheless hides quite the steel within her.

Last edited:
Iowa has arrived at the 4Koma base, called the Kongous 'pretty', ate huge amounts of ice cream, and set up a BBQ grill in the yard.

Apparently Mutsu's going to be a premium in WOWS. I would post source but it's on a FB page and I'm on mobile.

She's not forgotten just yet.

EDIT: let's try this

Last edited:
So one thing I've been wondering about
What's the deal with Shigure? It seems she's really really popular, but I can't quite tell why, or get a read on her personality from the fanworks I've seen with her in them, and all the wiki offered was something about PTSD over Night Battles. Could someone here explain her better?
A bunch of reasons. First, she was popular before Kancolle – with a notable wartime record – as @CompassJimbo and others have discussed above. Next, @AnonymousRabbit is writing a Kancolle Let's Play on SV in which she's a central character, starting from even before she arrived on base. A certain amount of her popularity here comes from him and that work. Third, as others have mentioned, she's a generally useful ship in-game with one of the highest luck stats. Incidentally, this is both why she's tied for second highest level destroyer I have and why she's part of my fleet for beating down 4-4.

Its because she survived through several battles where she was the only surviving ship, including the battle of Surigao straight.

Next, @AnonymousRabbit is writing a Kancolle Let's Play on SV in which she's a central character, starting from even before she arrived on base. A certain amount of her popularity here comes from him and that work.

Not to knock on AnonymousRabbit, but that particular bit I think it more due to Shigure being popular enough in the first place such that he's doing a Let's Play, and of course it can't be used to explain the popularity of Shigure with the Japanese.

Last edited:
If anyone needs inspirations on Abyssals, the story "Thing That Drifted Ashore" by Junji Ito is an excellent source of inspiration for the horror angle of it.

"What do you suppose they saw in the deep ocean, through that transparent skin?"

There's a comic on Danbooru called 'The Beginning' which is a fairly interesting attempt to explain game mechanics in an in-story kind of way which also plays up the horror angle of the Abyssals well.

Problem is, she stayed lucky when there was no one left to leech it from, so it probably wasn't Nivenesque to start with.
Um... When?

There were still a lot of US ships that got sunk or heavily damage during late to early 42-43, which was during her Enterprise VS Japan thing, a lot of which were either in or were in the same task force as her...

Last edited:
Vampiric Luck is not often a USN ship trait. Enterprise was more a right place/right time sort of ship who never ate the fatal hits that other carriers of her era got hit with.

Vampiric Luck is not often a USN ship trait. Enterprise was more a right place/right time sort of ship who never ate the fatal hits that other carriers of her era got hit with.
Vampiric luck is never a ship trait for any nation.

What happen to the Enterprise is the same thing that happened to Shigure or Yukikaze or any other ship. Which a combo of their crews being that good and being lucky.

Last edited:
Um... When?

There were still a lot of US ships that got sunk or heavily damage during late to early 42-43, which was during her Enterprise VS Japan thing, a lot of which were either in or were in the same task force as her...

Actually, they weren't, because Enterprise vs. Japan was a period with no carrier battles. Ships from her task force saw action (Washington and SoDak plus destroyers, for example) but not in company with her.

Back