Jace911 "Reviews" Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Now, I was spoiled before I first watched it, but it's still an absolutely amazing anime.

Also, watching Jace watch it brings up good memories of torturing Bob.

More fun facts about the scene:

The writer for the manga says that Sayaka killed those men.
The animation director says Sayaka did not kill those men.
Gen Urobuchi doesn't have an answer.

The first is my headcanon because it's just that kind of show.
To be fair the Manga seems a bit more on the sinster side then the anime so it may very well be that in the Manga she killed them while in the anime she didn't.

If you count the recap movies, I think I've rewatched the series about... 3 or 4 times now?

And I'm not the sort to get really emotional for either fiction or real life, but I still tear up at Sayaka's witchout at the end of episode 8.
Every. Damn. Time.
"I'm such an idiot."

Since the hilarity of people reviewing or watching PMMM for the first time has been brought up, are there any links to any other good rectionthreads etc.?
Would love to read more like this.

Mark Watches Puella Magi Madoka Magica

He's one of my favorite bloggers and his reviews are gold. He's watched a lot more stuff, too, both anime (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Princess Tutu, Cowboy Bebop, etc) and not (Veronica Mars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, etc). He also runs another site in which he reads books which is just as good. Go!

Last edited:
Since the hilarity of people reviewing or watching PMMM for the first time has been brought up, are there any links to any other good rectionthreads etc.?
Would love to read more like this.
No thread, but a story of showing it to one of my friends. We watched it, marathoned up to episode 10. At that point we took a look at his face, decided we were bored and watched the BRS OVA instead. It was bloody priceless.

I've watched most episodes many, many times. Never got around to marathoning the whole thing in one shot though.
@Jace911 I have no idea of the delay between your watching and posting, so I'll put this up now. Before you watch episode 10, rewatch episode 1 again. It won't be a waste of time, and you'll appreciate 10 even more.
Previously, I said to pay attention to the lyrics of the OP, if you're rewatching ep 1, pay attention to the lyrics of its ED as well. You'll know why by the end of the series.

I love Mark Reads/Watches, but I cannot into his site right now due to mad malware warnings. Wtf?

He's one of my favorite bloggers and his reviews are gold. He's watched a lot more stuff, too, both anime (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Princess Tutu, Cowboy Bebop, etc) and not (Veronica Mars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, etc). He also runs another site in which he reads books which is just as good. Go!

Seconding this; watching the Mark Watches vids more or let set me off marathoning PMMM all over again (I've... lost count how many times that's happened though admittedly)

Sadly Vimeo screwed him on the actual review videos (his reaction to the end of episode 3 is amazing, and ep 8 is pretty much 'this is what shell shock must look like').

@Jace911 Just a random fyi that I'm not sure that anyone has shared, that conversation on the train was apparently Urobuchi quoting some real guys he heard on the train while working on the series. At least in the original japanese, I admit I haven't seen the english so I'm not sure how well they translated it.

@Jace911 Just a random fyi that I'm not sure that anyone has shared, that conversation on the train was apparently Urobuchi quoting some real guys he heard on the train while working on the series. At least in the original japanese, I admit I haven't seen the english so I'm not sure how well they translated it.
As an addendum to that, there are statements from the creators of the series regarding whether sayaka really killed those guys ot not. Only they have said different things, so its still up in the air.

Im alternating between laughing and crying here, good luck to you brother.

Ah, such delectable suffering, both on the viewers part and protagonists part. :D

But let's make with some funnies. Downfall parodies in particular:

Also, a classic for those who were watching it live:

When you get to episode ten, I've got some period speculah that came out of weeks and weeks of waiting for the final eps waiting for your perusal. Part of the fun in suffering through Madoka is trying to nail the ending before you see it. Hopefully without being spoiled. I'll make sure to pass it by a mod to make sure it won't spoil you unduly, but since they're period speculah (IE, produced before the ending) they ought to be fine.

I keeps getting hit by a virus when I try to go there.

You guys should probably check your virus status.

Heh. It can only get worse from here.

I really should rewatch it. I have it, I just need to find a time when I'm entirely too happy.

I still have not been able to bring myself to watch it a second time. It hit me pretty hard.
You see a ton of stuff that you missed or didn't recognize the first time through on a rewatch. It's seriously worth it.

*Edit*

BTW, Jace, "wallpurplesnot" is "Walpurgisnacht". It's German for "Walpurgis Night" which, IIRC, is a witches' festival. :)

Last edited:
Back