Insanity State (Currently Recruiting up to eight Players!)

Should I list out some Cults or let you confront them then tell you about them?

• Gimme the details!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Surprise me, Bro!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Zedalb Your math for the Attributes is off. You only have 14 points to spend. You've spent 20.

You start with 1 in everything. 6 Stats +2 in each= 12 spent (each at 3 now) leaving 2 points to make 2 stats "4". That's what I have.

DAMN IT the rules were change he edited that.

Last edited:
That might have been because of my maths affecting it. Oh well, now we just have to be tactical.

I'm liking both concepts. We either have the apocalyptic version of a snake oil salesman, or a preacher who thought Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God was perfect.

I also like our Tyke bomb. Good to have a little murderous mascot.

Edit: I suggest taking a point or two in survival. Just for the food and water gathering. I can't always find an untainted deer.
I would take the survival point, but I'm leaning towards the snake oil salesman type, who has only one INS and a big part of his character is his utter disgust with being forced into that lifestyle .

On that note, here he is. I decided visionary would fit a lot better than governor, and shifted some stats around accordingly, though i still feel like the concept is a bit of an awkward fit. I actually changed the concept quite a bit since it didn't really make sense for someone with no starting money before.

Name: Dorian Mcdowell
Physical Description:
A tall, skinny man, with scraggly blond hair and a build stripped of all fat and most muscle by chronic hunger. Usually trying to look mildly cheerful, except when it would be blatantly inappropriate.
Backstory(How did you survive up till now? Where are you from originally? Did you have to fight? Give me details, man!):
Dorian was luckier than most, really. Born and raised in a tiny town down south, his father was the head of the local militia, and after the bombs fell he turned that power into a position, the head of the local trade caravan. Dorian got it all; the water, the generator, the food. His father did his best to sustain their pre-apocalypse living standards, but while he tried to teach Dorian how to be a good trader, he still tried to shelter his son from the horrors of the new world, even as his boy became a man.

Well, the apocalypse caught up to then in the end. Some Psycho blew the caravan to bits, and no-one had a use for some pampered idiot who'd never had to kill his own food. There were a few of them left, but not enough to pull things back together before another caravan took over their trade route. Dorian spent the next few years lying and stealing his way across the world just to stay alive, but that's not going last forever.

Dorian's gonna climb back up, y'see. Get enough cash, enough contacts, enough reputation to get his own business off the ground, to be the biggest trader this broken world ever saw.

And as for the holes in this dream? The vast gulf between the desperate thief and the successful businessman? Well, who can blame someone for going the slightest bit crazy after everything that's happened?

Stats:
-Body (BOD): 1 (Max: 5)
-Agility (AGL): 3 (Max: 5)
-Charisma (CHA): 3 (Max: 6)
-Intellect (INT): 3 (Max: 5)
-Psyche (PSY): 3 (Max: 5)
-Instinct (INS): 1 (Max: 5)

Derived Stats:
-Survival Points: 8/8
-Radiation levels: 0/6
-Flesh Wounds: 0/6
-Trauma: 0/4
-Sanity: 0/6
-Passive Defense: 1

Skills By Attribute Group:
Body:
-Athletics: 0 (Max: 10)
-Brawl: 0 (Max: 10)
-Force: 0 (Max: 10) (Used for bonus damage in melee combat and raw physical exertion)
-Melee: 0 (Max: 10)
-Stamina: 0 (Max: 10)
-Toughness: 2 (Max: 10)

Agility:
-Crafting: 0 (Max: 10)
-Dexterity: 3 (Max: 10)
-Navigation: 0 (Max: 10)
-Mobility: 0 (Max: 10)
-Projectiles: 2 (Max: 10) (Anything from a thrown rock to a machinegun)
-Stealth: 3 (Max: 10)

Charisma:
-Expression: 1 (Max: 10) (Public speaking and reading people's body language)
-Leadership(Or keeping everyone's shit together): 0 (Max: 10)
-Negotiations: 3 (Max: 10)
-Seduction: 0 (Max: 11)

Intellect:
-Artifact Lore: 2 (Max: 10) (Allows identification valuable artifacts instead of just selling it for the scrap value.)
-Engineering: 0 (Max: 10)
-Focus: 1 (Max: 10) (Used for Survival Points and acts of supreme concentration and calm. If this is upgraded, the Primal Skill is locked permanently.)
-Legends: 0 (Max: 10) (Old stories sometimes contain new insights)
-Medicine: 0 1 (Max: 10)
-Science: 0 (Max: 10)

Psyche:
-Cunning: 2 (Max: 11) (Distractions and planning)
-Deception: 2 (Max: 10)
-Domination: 0 (Max: 10)
-Willpower: 0 (Max: 10)
-Reaction: 0 (Max: 10)

Instinct:
-Empathy: 0 (Max: 10)
-Orienteering: 0 (Max: 10)
-Perception: 0 (Max: 10)
-Primal: x (Max: 10) (Raw human emotion and fury. If chosen to be improved, the Focus skill cannot be used. Used for Survival Points.)
-Survival: 0 (Max: 10)
-Taming: 0 (Max: 10) (Used to control, tame and train animals or animal intellects.)

-Sling(5)
-5x Rocks
-Crossbow(25)
-9x Bolts(5)
-Lockpicks (20)
-Flask(10)
-Warm Blanket(10)
-Backpack(15)
-Yellow Chip (Worth $10)

I might put up the Zealot later if i'm still vacillating.

Last edited:
I would take the survival point, but I'm leaning towards the snake oil salesman type, who has only one INS and a big part of his character is his utter disgust with being forced into that lifestyle .

On that note, here he is. I decided visionary would fit a lot better than governor, and shifted some stats around accordingly, though i still feel like the concept is a bit of an awkward fit. I actually changed the concept quite a bit since it didn't really make sense for someone with no starting money before.

Physical Description: (pending)
Backstory(How did you survive up till now? Where are you from originally? Did you have to fight? Give me details, man!):

Dorian was luckier than most, really. Born and raised in a tiny town down south, his father was the head of the local militia, and after the bombs fell he turned that power into a position, the head of the local trade caravan. Dorian got it all; the water, the generator, the food. His father did his best to sustain their pre-apocalypse living standards, but while he tried to teach Dorian how to be a good trader, he still tried to shelter his son from the horrors of the new world, even as his boy became a man.

Well, the apocalypse caught up to then in the end. Some Psycho blew the caravan to bits, and no-one had a use for some pampered idiot who'd never had to kill his own food. There were a few of them left, but not enough to pull things back together before another caravan took over their trade route. Dorian spent the next few years lying and stealing his way across the world just to stay alive, but that's not going last forever.

Dorian's gonna climb back up, y'see. Get enough cash, enough contacts, enough reputation to get his own business off the ground, to be the biggest trader this broken world ever saw.

And as for the holes in this dream? The vast gulf between the desperate thief and the successful businessman? Well, who can blame someone for going the slightest bit crazy after everything that's happened?

Stats:

Derived Stats:

Body:
-Force: 0 (Max: 10) (Used for bonus damage in melee combat and raw physical exertion)

Agility:

Charisma:

Intellect:
-Artifact Lore: 2 (Max: 10) (Allows identification valuable artifacts instead of just selling it for the scrap value.)
-Focus: 1 (Max: 10) (Used for Survival Points and acts of supreme concentration and calm. If this is upgraded, the Primal Skill is locked permanently.)
-Medicine: 0 (Max: 10)

Psyche:

Instinct:
-Primal: x (Max: 10) (Raw human emotion and fury. If chosen to be improved, the Focus skill cannot be used. Used for Survival Points.)
-Taming: 0 (Max: 10) (Used to control, tame and train animals or animal intellects.)

-Sling(5)
-5x Rocks
-Crossbow(25)
-9x Bolts(5)
-Lockpicks (20)
-Flask(10)
-Warm Blanket(10)
-Backpack(15)
-Yellow Chip (Worth $10)

Accepted, if you want to play this.

And breaking news, I MAY have mislabeled Sanity's plus. Instead of Stability, it's Willpower. Also, IC thread shall be put up in a few minutes.

Well, now I know who I go to in order to sell my hunting catches.

Thread info
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/insanity-state.39363/

And with that, the IC thread is up! All accepted Characters, you may post what you say or do! And don't panic! Turns are only completed once everyone posts once or does thier actions. And don't worry, you can still be accepted.

Characters so far(As in completed and accepted):

@Raiu as Alexander Quartermain

@Virian as Valerian Darksky

@racnor as Dorian Blackwell

@Da Boyz as Edgar Rumsfield

@Space Multiply as Aldi J. Laborn (Shall join in later)

Slot open!

Last edited:
Is there any part of my character that isn't conforming to the rules??

Last edited:
Got an invite for this on my profile page, so I figured I would just drop by and let you know that I'm not particularly interested at this time. Thanks, but no thanks.

[QUOTE="Gruber dude, post: 8710131, member: 15374"

Name: Aldi J. Laborn
Sex: Male
Physical Description: A thin, effeminate boy with strange purple hair and glazed dark eyes. Underneath his clothes his muscles are defined like steel cords, and his scar tissue looks to outnumber his normal skin. His body is peppered with dark spots from being thrown into fire to many times. His hair is messy and grows in patches from cutting it himself.

Backstory: Eh? You want more about me? Aren't you gonna be dead meat soon Ms. Petra?

I mean, I guess I could humor you in your last moments. Hey, don't smile! I have to kill you before I leave. It's the end for you either way.

So where do I start! Hm...the very beginning. Grandpa helped Mommy when she had me, and for a long time it was just the three of us. We scavenged for food, Grandpa and Mommy defended us, and when I got older, they started teaching me how to do the same. My memories about that are a bit...fuzzy. The only thing I can remember clearly are the stories grandpa used to tell me by the fireplace. Sometimes, when things were really good, we'd all eat cheese, crackers, and coffee by the flames, enjoying each other tall tales. The closest thing to Heaven in this world.

Of course, eventually the food ran out. We had to start moving. Grandpa was getting on in the years, so most of the heavy lifting was left to mom. They got hurt a lot...more than I was comfortable with. Years went by, I think, and a decent amount of time ago we got separated from each other. Don't look at me like that! I said my part. You thought there was more? Didn't I say my memory was shot?

I'm looking for them. Assholes like you are just wasting my time. I know there alive. I can feel it in my bones. I just have to keep looking for them, and never quit. I'm got a lot better at finding my way around so I don't get lost again. Once I find the everything is gonna be nice and dandy.

Well won't you look at the time! I need to go. Hopefully your friends will find you tasty. Goodbye.

Geez, she didn't even scream. It's no fun when they don't scream.

-Body (BOD): 3 (Max: 5)
-Agility (AGL): 1 (Max: 5)
-Charisma (CHA): 1 (Max: 5)
-Intellect (INT): 1 (Max: 5)
-Psyche (PSY): 5 (Max: 5)

Derived Stats:
-Survival Points: 0
-Radiation levels: 0
-Flesh Wounds: 0
-Trauma: 0
-Sanity: 0

Body:
-Toughness: 0 (Max: 10)

Agility:
-Dexterity: 2 (Max: 10)
-Navigation: 5 (Max: 10)
-Projectiles: 0 (Max: 10) (Anything from a thrown rock to a machinegun)
-Stealth: 0 (Max: 10)

Charisma:
-Expression: 0 (Max: 10) (Public speaking and reading people's body language)
-Negotiations: 0 (Max: 10)
-Seduction: 0 (Max: 10)

Intellect:
-Artifact Lore: 0 (Max: 10) (Allows identification valuable artifacts instead of just selling it for the scrap value.)
-Focus: 0 (Max: 10) (Used for Survival Points and acts of supreme concentration and calm. If this is upgraded, the Primal Skill is locked permanently.)
-Legends: 2 (Max: 10) (Old stories sometimes contain new insights)

Psyche:
-Cunning: 0 (Max: 10) (Distractions and planning)
-Deception: 0 (Max: 10)
-Domination: 3 (Max: 10)

Instinct:
-Primal: 0 (Max: 10) (Raw human emotion and fury. If chosen to be improved, the Focus skill cannot be used. Used for Survival Points.)

Distance: 1

Damage: 1d6+(F/2)

Weapon Crit Qualities:

-Blunt (Reduce Armor Rating by 1.)

Encumbrance: 3

Tech Level: I

Mod Slots: 2

Mods: Nails for Piercing Crit Quality, Chains for +1 to blunt quality, oil and fire for flaming Quality, etc.

Value: 20

Kills Required for Mastery: 15

Durability: Ten days without repair.

Put in the total for Your Derived stats. Other than that, you're good.

Might as well bite the bullet and go with this character. I'll get a picture for them when I'm not on the phone.

Alrighty! Accept- Wait, you're over by three in Attributes.

EDIT: Oh..... My bad. Yeah accepted!

Last edited:
I think you might have counted something twice. I have four stats at 3 and two stats at 1. 2x1+4x3=14.

Also I modified my build again to try and conform with the rules... Is it accepted now?

Name: Valerian Darksky
Physical Description: A 25 years old Army s Captain... 188 cm tall, white of Slavic descent . Has dark hair and Brown eyes, Has a scar on his chest from when he wrestled with a bear.
Backstory: Born from whore and a unknown father Valerian was at the time of his birth and until 5 considered a girl by his mother that was so high she didn't even notice her daughter'' was in fact man and used to call her Valeria... When she( and several others) died of an overdose during an orgy, When he entered an orphanage the people there realized the mistake and called him Valerian... His slavic features come from his father and his eyes from his mother. Even to this day he doesn't know who his father is. Due to the American system not fucking up this time he got a remarkable love and loyalty to the country and he decided to join the military at 18, 7 years later he is a captain and can probably defeat anyone in a pure contest of strength but don't let his looks deceive you he is more perceptive than you realize.

Stats:
-Body (BOD): 5
-Agility (AGL): 2
-Charisma (CHA): 0
-Intellect (INT): 2
-Psyche (PSY): 2
-Instinct (INS): 3

Derived Stats:
-Survival Points: 6
-Radiation levels: 6
-Flesh Wounds: 11
-Trauma: 7
-Sanity: 4

Body:
-Athletics: 0(Max: 10)
-Brawl: 3(Max: 10)
-Force: 1(Max: 10) (Used for bonus damage in melee combat and raw physical exertion)
-Melee:3(Max: 10)
-Stamina: 3 (Max: 10)
-Toughness: 3(Max: 10)

Agility:
-Crafting: 0(Max: 10)
-Dexterity: 0 (Max: 10)
-Mobility: 0(Max: 10)
-Stealth: 0(Max: 10)

Charisma:
-Expression: 0 (Max: 10) (Public speaking and reading people's body language)
-Leadership(Or keeping everyone's shit together): 0(Max: 10)
-Negotiations: 0 (Max: 10)
-Seduction: 0 (Max: 10)

Intellect:
-Artifact Lore: 0 (Max: 10) (Allows identification valuable artifacts instead of just selling it for the scrap value.)
-Focus: 1(Max: 10) (Used for Survival Points and acts of supreme concentration and calm. If this is upgraded, the Primal Skill is locked permanently.)
-Medicine: 0(Max: 10)
-Science: (Max: 10)

Psyche:
-Cunning: 0 (Max: 10) (Distractions and planning)
-Deception: 0(Max: 10)
-Willpower: 1(Max: 10)
-Reaction: 0(Max: 10)

Instinct:
-Perception: 3 (Max: 10)
-Primal: 0 (Max: 10) (Raw human emotion and fury. If chosen to be improved, the Focus skill cannot be used. Used for Survival Points.)
Is this build allowed?

Bite, Punch , Kick
Hand Axeb-50
Throwing Axe-50
Arrows/Nails x30-30
Blow Gun-30
Capes and Cloaks-40
Fishing Gear- 5
Cooking Gear-30
Repair Kits-30
Flint And Tinder-20
Flask-10
Sleeping Bag/Warm Blanketx2-20
Backpack- 15
Tent:-120
Keep the rest of the money for when I meet civilization

I finished editing is this build accepted?

Accepted!

Physical Description: (pending)

Stats:

Derived Stats:

Body:

Agility:

Charisma:

Intellect:

Psyche:

Instinct:

-Sling(5)
-5x Rocks
-Crossbow(25)
-9x Bolts(5)
-Lockpicks (20)
-Flask(10)
-Warm Blanket(10)
-Backpack(15)
-Yellow Chip (Worth $10)

Accepted! You and @racnor can now post in the IC thread!

Last edited:
Expect plenty of references to movies from the late 60s to early 70s.

Also, no, I'm not ditching the sleigh. I payed good chips for it, and it's my way to carry back the bigger game that I manage to take down.

Risking the horrific double post here, but @Virian, the American Army that Quater is referring to is a band of "military wackjobs" that basically drove him from his hunting grounds in Yellowstone and started his journey to Oakland.

However, I kinda like this mistaken identity bit, and I doubt Quarter would have told you terribly much about himself at the time, so let's keep it in!

Back