Hive Keeper (Worm/DungeonKeeper/WFTO Alt!Power)

I’ve had writers block for over a year on ch16. What solution would you all like to see?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Burnah: Tinker who thinks his speciality is flamethrowers. Pyromaniac. Hates short jokes. Asthma. Self worth issues. Loves playing Pyro in Team Fortress. Uses the same drugs he sells to others. Keeps developing new dependencies.
That one is just begging to be used, but under the name "Bong."

Mosh

Master / shaker / trump field that gives everyone around him aggression issues and a minor brute package.
Does not grant HIMSELF a brute rating.
Mauling Snarks already did this one. He hired himself out for movies, and spent the rest of the time in a furnished bunker under a skate park -- they made enough money off of replacement skateboards that it was worth it to pay him to live there.

Mauling Snarks already did this one. He hired himself out for movies, and spent the rest of the time in a furnished bunker under a skate park -- they made enough money off of replacement skateboards that it was worth it to pay him to live there.
Ohhhhhh yeaaaaaa.

I was more thinking of something I'm probably misattributing to More Than Meets the Eye. The one I'm thinking of was a Nazi and started soccer riots for fun.

Mosh

Master / shaker / trump field that gives everyone around him aggression issues and a minor brute package.
Does not grant HIMSELF a brute rating.

Moshpit in one story that I read where Panacea and Taylor went to an action movie for a date. Wish I could remember which one. Panacea for the Soul, maybe

Edit: Imp'd.

Last edited:
There are actually a few details on some of the 'free-floating capes' in the vicinity of Brockton Bay: Dovetail with the power of flight and slightly inconvenient force field bubbles, Sere with the frankly fucking terrifying power of non-Manton limited hydrokinetic dehydration 'blasts' and Adamant with short-ranged metal manipulation that he uses to equip himself with mechanized heavy armor and weapons and beat the shit out of people.

So one of those might well show up, seeing as they are supposedly in the area all along despite not showing up until very late in the story.

So, I just found this fic, and I thought I'd put my 2 cents forward. It's fun. I like it a lot. The premise is great, the characters are decent, and it looks to be going down the rarely touched upon possibility of a mostly or partially Rogue Taylor, which is always a delight. That said, its main issue is the pacing. It basically feels like a 50k word tutorial to the Dungeon style of game, and that is quite frankly both frustrating and- because of the update pace- mildly disappointing. When I got to the last chapter and Taylor and Danny were finally going to visit the Protectorate, I was excited because it looked like we might finally see some character interaction... and then they got sidetracked with yet more power testing. It's slow, it's dull, and- because most of us are at least passingly familiar with the Dungeons games- it's not even anything new or interesting.

It's slow, it's dull, and- because most of us are at least passingly familiar with the Dungeons games- it's not even anything new or interesting.
In the interest of those who aren't familiar with the Dungeon Keeper/War for the Overworld games, it still needs to be gone over with at least some degree of detail, though. I'll tell you this: there's nothing more annoying to me than a crossover story that just goes and assumes that everyone who reads it will already know everything about both settings involved, making it completely impenetrable to anyone who doesn't.

Also, "how do the weird video game mechanics map to the real world" is honestly part of the fun of these stories to me.

It basically feels like a 50k word tutorial to the Dungeon style of game,
In the interest of those who aren't familiar with the Dungeon Keeper/War for the Overworld games, it still needs to be gone over with at least some degree of detail, though.
I'm vaguely familiar with the game series through free games and demos, but the refresher and DEPTH covered in these first few chapters helped me refresh and expand on what I knew.

The problem is just that it's front loaded, once the story is 100k words the necessary early chapter info dumps seem like less of a problem.

As I've said before, I've liked the story so far and have not had any issue with the pacing, and it's honestly feeling a bit wierd that several people have felt the need to complain about it.

and it's honestly feeling a bit wierd that several people have felt the need to complain about it.
No lack of consequences for voicing their opinion, and sometimes a feeling of entitlement and/or 'I know best' attitude. Mixed with some honest constructive criticism that's worded poorly.

I like the story so far. I do like scenes where somebody is figuring out what they can do with their powers and trying to leverage it.

Considering that I know nothing about the crossover, I like the information dump.

Also, since Taylor doesn't know the game either, isn't all of this just us watching her figuring out how to play?

Based on the games I do play, it takes a while to learn to munchkin them. It's not the noob's fault the other more experienced gamers are watching the livestream of her first game.

Finally caught up, after falling behind sometime shortly before the XF2 move...

in whichever state Rachel's foster house was (California? Florida? note actually sure)
Almost certainly Maine.

That is not how Autism works
Autism works in very different ways, of which Asperger's syndrome is only one. There's a reason why it's called the "autism spectrum".

In fact, autism as such (as opposed to Asperger's) isn't that far (in terms of symptoms) from Rachel's situation; Asperger's, on the other hand, is indeed not much like Rachel at all, but very much like Greg Veder.

I was figuring that you'd be back soon. I only mark a story as probably dead if it's been about a year since there were any updates. I've learned my lesson -- there are a number of stories I've previously read that update REALLY slowly!
And if Ack is the author, never assume a story is dead unless you found a post where he explicitly says it is; the way his schedule works out means that stories can easily stay unupdated for as much as two years, and then update anyway.

(Though I admit that even his stories can sometimes be on hiatus, as MirrorVerse had been since 2016.)

Which... does actually beg the question why Bakuda wasn't involved in Lung's attempt on the Undersiders, actually. Or at even mentioned. Probably 'WB hadn't settled on the gang's members, yet', I'm guessing.
The reason that Bakuda didn't come after the Undersiders is threefold.
1. Under normal circumstances, Lung's MORE than enough.
2. They were trying to hide her membership.
3. She was probably busy Tinkering.
I didn't think of option 2, but that works too; 3 is the one I would expect, with a possible side of 1 (except not really, because Oni Lee was involved).

In addition, she might not have entirely established the Brockton Bay version of her Tinker base yet.

That is to say, Bakuda didn't join the ABB until March 23. It is only early January, ergo she probably isn't even even in Brockton Bay yet.
In early January, Bakuda might not have even triggered yet; though probably she had - my best estimates put her trigger sometime in late December or very early January.
The Cornell bombing would probably have happened around early to mid February (so almost definitely not yet at this point).

If that's any consolation, the exact same continuity error (including Bakuda way before she could have been around) was also done by the author of Heromaker's Legacy.

(Also, wow, March 23? I thought it was in the first few days of April.)

As I've said before, I've liked the story so far and have not had any issue with the pacing, and it's honestly feeling a bit wierd that several people have felt the need to complain about it.
Heavily seconding that. I thought the pacing was just fine.

Granted, I might have thought differently if I was reading in it one go, though I suspect that even then I would have had no problem with the slow exploration... I like slow exploration, and think that it's unfortunate that it's not a thing that happens more commonly.

Almost certainly Maine.
Really? What do you base that on?

In fact, autism as such (as opposed to Asperger's) isn't that far (in terms of symptoms) from Rachel's situation; Asperger's, on the other hand, is indeed not much like Rachel at all, but very much like Greg Veder.
IIRC the reason Asperger's was dropped from the official list of diagnosis was that the doctors couldn't agree on how it differs from autism.

Really? What do you base that on?
The skirmishes and retreats across Maine? If she started her run in Florida, never mind California, there would have been no reason for her to end up in Maine, on the exact opposite end of the country.

I suppose in principle it's possible that technically she started in New Hampshire, Vermont, or perhaps even New York, but I suspect that Maine is by far the most likely.

(Fun fact: this line is sometimes quoted as proof that Brockton Bay is not in Maine [and thus has to be in either New Hampshire or extreme northeastern Massachusetts]. Having looked at it, I would rather have interpreted it in the opposite way. I still tend to use a New Hampshire location, though.)

IIRC the reason Asperger's was dropped from the official list of diagnosis was that the doctors couldn't agree on how it differs from autism.
I thought it was eventually considered a variety of autism, on the extremely high-functioning end of the spectrum, but with many of the same symptoms otherwise.
Presumably there were some intermediate cases with symptoms of both?

I don't actually know enough about the subject to comment further; to the best of my knowledge, autism (of any variety) is not diagnosed at all in my country (or, at least, is not an accepted adult diagnosis).

I thought it was eventually considered a variety of autism, on the extremely high-functioning end of the spectrum, but with many of the same symptoms otherwise.
No, TheUnicorn is correct about this. Asperger's syndrome was removed from the DSM-5 (the definite index of psychiatric illnesses and affliction in the English-speaking cultural sphere) because it cannot be meaningfully told apart from "regular" high-functioning autism. Since you literally cannot tell the difference between them and what it gets called in your case often depends on nothing more than which doctor was writing the diagnosis, they decided to just fold it into the spectrum as a whole.

Asperger's is an old diagnosis and a term that stems from a time when it was not really understood yet what autism actually is. Getting rid of it in favour of a more unified approach was a sensible decision that just makes things easier on everyone.

The skirmishes and retreats across Maine?
I was asking for a cite for that. Never mind, found the line in insinuation-2-2.

IIRC Aspergers was always part of the Autism Spectrum but initially it was a distinct syndrom within the spectrum, except that you had issues with different doctors offering differing diagnosis for the same patient and the doctors couldn't agree on a rule that would define Aspergers as distinct from other types of Autism.
to the best of my knowledge, autism (of any variety) is not diagnosed at all in my country (or, at least, is not an accepted adult diagnosis).
Seriously? That seems very odd...okay, I am now VERY happy I don't live in Russia.

Asperger's is an old diagnosis and a term that stems from a time when it was not really understood yet what autism actually is.
Technically true, but quite misleading (and makes me feel old, so stop it :) ). While the term was coined in the 1940s, it was officially recognized in only 1994 so I doubt there was any real relationship between the two.

Last edited:
Seriously? That seems very odd...okay, I am now VERY happy I don't live in Russia.
OK, after some googling, it appears that there possibly are some Russian adults officially diagnosed with some form of autism, though if so there are very few of them (probably about a hundred or less - and, yes, very possibly none).

The situation with children is less ridiculous; as of 2018, over 30,000 children were diagnosed with autism in Russia.
(This is up from about 14 thousand as of 2014; though other sources give a figure of 7500 as of 2015, so perhaps the larger figures include other related diagnoses.)

However, upon reaching age 18 (and sometimes earlier), most children officially diagnosed with autism had their diagnosis "upgraded" to schizophrenia and/or mental retardation (with the corresponding negative consequences).
That said, the sources I've seen tended to say "most" rather than "all", so it isn't unlikely that some got through - thus my estimate above (accounting for most diagnoses having been given to children much younger than 18).

EDIT: OK, there definitely are adults with an official autism diagnosis in Russia; here's an article about the first such case in Voronezh Oblast (in 2017).
Apparently the necessary changes to allow autism diagnoses for adults came through in 2014, but clinics outside Moscow were very slow in accepting them. It is possible that there are actually more than a hundred such adults in Moscow (though almost certainly less than a thousand).
I personally didn't know about the 2014 changes before I started looking stuff up for this post, so "autism is not a diagnosis for adults" was just obsolete data (though true until 2014).

EDIT 2: after further research, the 2017 Voronezh case might well have been the first such case in Russia; but I couldn't find any data on how often it happened after that. My estimate of "yes, but probably less than a hundred" stands.

However, upon reaching age 18 (and sometimes earlier), most children officially diagnosed with autism had their diagnosis "upgraded" to schizophrenia and/or mental retardation (with the corresponding negative consequences).
That's kind of horrid - schizophrenia and autism are nothing alike even at the lowest-functioning end of the spectrum and need to be treated (and medicated) entirely differently. I don't envy you guys there.

Personally, I am an undiagnosed case of high functioning autism. Problem I have is, there are zero doctors who can and will diagnose an adult for A.S.D at all due to it being primarily a developmental disorder. As such, I have been out of luck since 1993. I can't be considered disabled because I don't have a diagnosis, and can't get a diagnosis because I am too old, at least according to everyone I can afford to talk to...and yes, I can see a lot of what I go through in Rachel Lindt, though it was twisted by her trigger...and subsequent treatment.

If you aren't professionally diagnosed then you don't actually know that, just to point that out here. There's a reason this kind of diagnosis requires a trained medical professional, and that reason is that laypeople aren't qualified to just do it for themselves.

In the case of A.S.D. an actual diagnosis requires an extended period of observation. As a result, even if you have a psych tell you, "In my opinion, you are an undiagnosed Autism Spectrum Disorder case," you are not officially diagnosed.

And when all the qualified docs answer that they can't diagnose you with what is a developmental disorder because you are over 18, even if you match all the symptoms as far as a psych with a DSM V can tell, you are out of luck.

In the case of A.S.D. an actual diagnosis requires an extended period of observation. As a result, even if you have a psych tell you, "In my opinion, you are an undiagnosed Autism Spectrum Disorder case," you are not officially diagnosed.
Fair enough. Having gone through that process myself, it always just kind of bothers me when it seems to me like someone is doing the whole "yeah, I read about it on the internet, I'm totally autistic" thing. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Personally, I was 31 when I was diagnosed, but then I don't live in Texas. You might want to consider looking for clinics or practitioners out of state. Maybe ask local autism support groups for help with finding a psychiatrist who can perform that kind of evaluation, too.

Back