Hive Keeper (Worm/DungeonKeeper/WFTO Alt!Power)

I’ve had writers block for over a year on ch16. What solution would you all like to see?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While that would be awesome, it would be a PR suicide for Taylor because killing one of the big 3 is bad publicity because yes there are such things as bad publicity.

That happens in canon; I'm unsure of the details since I've really only read the wiki.

Which is as far as I'm willing to go; canon Worm is a ball of polished horseshit as far as I'm concerned.

That happens in canon; I'm unsure of the details since I've really only read the wiki.
I believe that it avoids being a P.R. nightmare due to a cover-up involving body-snatchers, and Taylor immediately went to prison anyway, and then became a ward but everyone inclined to care could figure it out and knew that she was evil? Then again it was probably Ziz or Contessa who offed her instead of Taylor, given that Taylor didn't have the power to convince a woman with decades of experience in law enforcement(including the humbling of herself and someone else who both came pretty close to being invulnerable) against the enthusiastically violent, to explain her fatal weakness, explicitly goad a violent rebellious kid into murdering her, and to do so with no backup plan to take advantage of the many many things that could reduce bugs and their byproducts to dust and do absolutely no harm to Alexandria. She also lacked the power to asphyxiate someone outside of her range precisely enough to lobotomise them without impairing the regulation of their vital functions. It is pretty much certain that Feral Curtsey Ziz engineered Taylor being the first half of what killed her in order to push Taylor's angst and teen rebellion into maximum overdrive so that she would happily lobotomise herself when it came time to take up Alexandria's quest.

Killing Alexandria is some of the best evidence that Taylor never had any agency throughout the whole story. Which seems unlikely to be the case here, as this doesn't seem like a tale that plans to punch Scion in the face. She also seems to like Capes being generous with their powers so long as there is not too much chaos, so she will probably like that Taylor is running a parahuman haunted house with prizes with The Protectorate/P.R.T/WarDS welcome to join in. I can't see the legal authorities getting hostile beyond Piggot or any possible replacements. Outright hostilities would be more likely from outlaws. I doubt that The Fallen or C.U.I. will be involved, but they would be the likely candidates for big giant bad news. So I expect the conspiracies to keep their distance, because it is already in a satisfactory state, and they have other plans to deal with Gilded Mourning.

Tbh... sounds a bit like you didn't know what you were doing. Which isn't strictly a criticism, because the games are rather opaque.
You're not wrong...
If you drop a Rally Flag directly onto something, minions will prioritize attack that something.
I'm aware of this, but I've had mixed results.
There have been times that it doesn't seem to work. Can they ignore flags to some degree, or is it just that easy to miss a target when clicking (the answer to the latter is at least a somewhat, I'm pretty sure)?

(If trying to grab a minion, at least, I have to click-spam and usually end up with half a dozen others first)
Spamming it several times over is a good way to interrupt minions that don't seem to be paying attention.
Not sure how that works.
There's a huge number of different types of rally flags now too, and they made peace-flagging specific minions much more easily doable such that they wont respond to rallies at all. Means you can set things up to have all your disposables charge into traps while everyone else stays safe (like elementals + ghouls flags only), and you can do stuff like make your succubi, cultists, or trainees not leave their jobs to fight.
I never really figured out how that works. I guess I need to figure it out...
WFTO introduced Moongates to get around the map.
Either I haven't gotten that far or they're a very recent update.
I've nearly cleared the first world of story mode (that is, not to the Heart of Gold expansion yet) but I still haven't seen one.
You can drop minions directly into a room to make them do a specific job, and them hit them with an Obey so they'll ignore their needs long enough to realize they're supposed to be working there.
Really? I have to micromange this badly? I had thought that was a "rush" or emergency mechanic, not... business as usual...
without the issue of her basically being invincible because she can cast spells and summon new minions all day long, all across the city, from the comfort of her bedroom.
Although you might want some method of preparing an area or getting a range buff, because once Hurricane Levi hits, she's not going to want to be up close.

Last edited:
Spoilers again because long responses are long, and it's mostly about the game instead of the story.

I'm aware of this, but I've had mixed results.
There have been times that it doesn't seem to work. Can they ignore flags to some degree
Just have the flag equipped and then just click the same spot 4 or 5 times. I've used it to also get the minions there just slightly faster. don't know if that works or if it's just a placebo.

It kinda works, in a manner of speaking. They don't move faster per se, but from long hours of playing the game, my impression is that what it does is reset their pathfinding and makes them drop aggro each time, meaning they get repeatedly interrupted from going off-task.

So it works a bit like this: When you drop a rally flag, many times your minions will first choose finish up what they were doing first before responding.

Spamming the flag is essentially making multiple demands, which each time causes them to roll the dice to decide 'do i finish first or do i go now?'. Once they're on the new task (ie go to the rally), rolling 'do i finish first' becomes the same as 'do i go now', so they stay on-task while those who failed their rolls get more rolls to try and swap them over.

That's why it works so well in combat to spam-place flags on specific creatures you want dead — it causes your minions en-masse to break away from their current aggro target and focus on the one you're trying to flag, rather than them trying to finish killing their existing target.

As an aside, minions also tend to attack whatever attacks them if they're busy moving and not attacking. This means that moving the flag to another target just once doesn't get the response you want, because each minion will drop their current task (fight), take a step or two towards the target if they're out of range (move), get whacked by an enemy attack, and so then turn around and start attacking that target instead of the rally target. By spamming several times in quick succession, you can interrupt that process enough for the minion to get into range and change aggro targets to who you want.

On a related note, if the flag isn't attached to a specific target (ie a boss, trap, or heart), minions also default to a kind of generic 'attack any enemy I see' as they run around — which can mean they get intercepted by enemies on the way, or they'll attack whoever they see first, leaning the targets that should be priorities can get ignored. Think of it like 'attack-move' in RTS games.

Really? I have to micromange this badly? I had thought that was a "rush" or emergency mechanic, not... business as usual...

You don't have to. But it's advisable. It's both a sim game and a strategy one so micromanaging is pretty much guaranteed to be far more optimal. I've yet to play any kind of strategy game where fully relying on the AI for various management tasks isn't a vastly poorer choice than doing it manually yourself.

However, that doesn't mean there aren't ways to, well, fake it. All minions have a 'default' room they'll work in, and most of them have a kind of hierarchy of several rooms. Necromancers are a great example — their 'primary' task is to raise ghouls in the crypt. Their secondary is to research in the archive, and their tertiary is to go train in the barracks.

What this means is that a necromancer will first raise ghouls in the crypt until his personal allotment is full, then go work in the archive if there are free spaces. Then, finally, if there are no workstations free there, he'll try and go to the barracks to train.

Thing is... you might not always have corpses in the crypt. This can cause issues, because if, say, said necromancer was dropped into the barracks to train and gets tired/hungry/needs to be paid, he'll stop training, go fill his needs, and then go 'Oh hey, there's corpses available now, better fill up', and once he does that he goes off and starts working in the archive be ause maybe one of your cultists was sleeping at the time, meaning when the cultist wakes up his spot in the archive is filled, so he goes off to train, and now your suddenly splitting training time between two different minions... etc etc.

Where the specific micromanagement really comes in is if you have that issue and want him to break that pattern and instead go train right now, usually because you're trying to speed-level them to lvl 5 so they learn how to raise Wraiths mid-battle.

Otherwise, you should build and manage your rooms with your minions' work priorities in mind. For example, if you only have 3 cultists but a lot of necromancers for w/e reason, don't build a 5x5 upgraded archive (which has 8 slots) if you want the necros to train instead of research, because they'll all end up swapping in and out of jobs a lot.

Oh, and actually, another tip: you can turn off spawning of specific stuff by selecting each of your gates. Including the one in your beast den. I actually often build a massive barracks (like 13x13 or bigger, depending on available space) and either turn Gnarlings entirely off, or just drop them into my crypt (thus killing them and making them necro-fodder) so they don't fill up the barracks 24/7. As far as I'm concerned, if I want cannon fodder, I'll use ghouls, thunderlings, and ember demons :p

(For those who aren't aware, Gnarlings do actually make decent frontliners, as they have both Cleave and Whirlwind -type moves. But they take time to rank up just like everything else, and wasting time on them when I could be leveling, say, a pair of Witch Doctors who can actively resurrect my dying units, powerlevel minions with the XP of the dead, and cast AOE heals, there's kind of a clear winner there :p)

Although you might want some method of preparing an area or getting a range buff, because once Hurricane Levi hits, she's not going to want to be up close.

Depends on what she's researched. ;) I have plans.

Last edited:
alright both of you cool it and stop this derail, WB has his issues in his writing, the terminal grimderpness and lack of actual knowledge of how the American legal/government works being chief among them. That said the Universe he created gives all of us something to enjoy as writers as it gives us plenty of holes, (much like Harry Potter) to fill in with our own versions

You inspired me to look back into the Dungeon series and noticed something I hadn't known before: The same company also made one of my favorite games back in the late 90s, Starbase Startopia, a sort of Futuristic city builder in space.

So looking at their Steam page and Starbase Startopia is getting a remake!

Story related: Perhaps something Omake worthy would be either her post GM or a descendent somehow getting to a Skylab / MIR / ISS like structure in space and converting it to a Startopia like structure.

"As with all research performed within your domain, you merely need Claim the scrolls or schematics in order to absorb the knowledge within, Mistress.

The word "SCHEMATICS" makes me want Taylor to buy a few textbook, tech manuals, and blueprints to see if adding them to her Archive will improve her minions' crafting abilities, or perhaps let the Nagas Researchers invent spells specifically designed to affect modern technology*.

Heck, many blueprints are posted online (pistols, pipe bombs, Ford Pintos, etc.), Taylor just needs to print it off, put them into a binder or folder, and hand them over to the Nagas.

Chemistry books might unlock Alchemists or Potion-Brewers.

Mechanics and engineering books for better craftsmen.

*Possible silliness where a crystal ball has an internet connection, or a scrying pool that can steal cable TV.

"Don't worry, I'm fully planning on working out a deal with the PRT to hire them out for... reasonable compensation."
She's also asked some questions on PRT policy and the legal aspects regarding the sale of tinkertech. Not just to us, but to law enforcement and civilians as well."

If it turns out Taylor can add conventional schematics to her Archives, she might be tempted to barter for Tinkertech blueprints.

Even Leet's defective blueprints would be valuable. To paraphrased Wildbow, "it's not just garbage, it's ADVANCED garbage!"

Taylor’s Currently Known Powers
Got tired of losing my place when trying to reference what stuff Taylor currently has, so decided to organize things and post it here so I can look at it while using Scrivener, which I really wish had tabs on mobile :eyebrow:

Major Spoiler Warning: If you are not caught up on the story, STOP unless you do not mind spoilers regarding Taylor's current research progress.

For the rest of you, behind the spoiler is a listing of Taylor's current unlocked rooms / minions / spells / etc, intended for people who have already hit the end of the current chapters and want to refresh their memories.

It does include material mentioned in comments, but not in the story.

It does include a small few very basic (ie 'first unlock' or 'known by default') rooms that Taylor began her career with, but have not been mentioned yet.

It does not include things Taylor herself is unaware are possible as of yet. (Like reinforced walls and brute-rated doors)

It does not necessarily contain everything she started with. I'm fairly confident there shouldn't be anything else that needs to be added, unless people want a section for things like the Hand Of Evil, her Fog of War, a list of active core effects (OK that one I should probably do), etc. But I could be wrong; maybe I've missed something incredibly basic that really ought to be in the list.

The list will be updated as we go along, unlike the 'Maps & Minions' updates which will be entirely spoiler-free as long as you stick to looking at the ones for your current chapter, They will be kept static with new entries posted every so often so that readers who are moving through the story can view them as they go without worry about spoilers.

Current a/o Ch15
——————————————————

Baseline Starter Rooms:
All Basic Lairs

• Beast Den (WFTO Beast Lair)
  • Graveyard (D3 Undead Lair)
  • Hideout (D3 Horde Lair)
  • Lair (DK 1/2 and WFTO Universal Lair)
  • Vortex (D3 Demon Lair)
All Basic Research
  • Archive (WFTO Research)
  • Library (DK 1/2 Research)
  • Lecture Hall (D3, Variant: Unlocks upgrades)
All Basic* Manufacturing
  • *Does not include D2 Alchemy Lab or Spider Den, which will require research.
  • Foundry (WFTO Parts)
  • Workshop (DK 1/2 Parts)
  • Tinkerer's Cave (D 2/3 Parts)
All Basic* Foods
  • *Does not include other needs rooms, nor food processing outside the campfire.
  • Campfire (Custom, Basic Cooking)
  • Gobbler Farm (D 2/3 Horde Food)
  • Hatchery (DK 1/2 Food)
  • Slaughterpen (WFTO Food)
  • Pasture (Custom, provides cows/sheep)
All Basic* Storage
  • *As all the games bar D1 have a 'treasure deposit' room with the exact same functions, I didn't list them all. They're assumed.
  • Stockpile (Custom, Resource Storage)
  • Vault (WFTO Fancy Treasury)
  • Treasure Room (Works like D1 — requires resources to 'fill', provides incentives/compulsions to those who reach it)
Miscellaneous
  • Training Room (DK 1/2 Baseline)
  • Barracks (WFTO Baseline)

——————————————————

Known Researched Rooms
  • Brewery (via Distillery)
  • Tavern (via Meat Cannon)
  • Prison

——————————————————

Known Unlocked Minions

Beasts
  • Oculus
  • Skarg
  • Giant Fly
Demons
  • Demon Spawn (DK1)
  • Fire Mephit (D3, See End Note Spoiler)
Humans
  • Warlock (DK 1/2)
  • Cultist (WFTO)
Hordies
  • Gnarling (WFTO)
  • Goblin, All (Amalgam)
  • Naga (DK 3)
  • Orc, Purple (DK)
  • Orc, Green (D2/3)
  • Troll, Green (DK 1/2)
Undead
  • Skeleton
  • Skeleton Archer
  • Banshee
Workers
  • Imp
  • Snotling
  • Forgotten
  • Servant
——————————————————

Known Unlocked Spells

Baseline Unlocks

• Annex
  • Call To Arms
  • Create Imp
  • Firebolt
  • Impasse
  • Thunderbolt
  • Possession
Researched Keeper Spells
  • Armour
  • Demon Portal
  • Heal
  • Rebound
  • Reskin
  • Transfer Creature
Known* Creature Spells
  • *Includes Both Researched and Default Starter Spells
  • Arcane Bolt (Naga)
  • Fireball (Warlock)
  • Healing Ray (Naga)

——————————————————

Known Unlocked Defenses

Baseline Misc
  • Door, Wooden
Baseline Traps
  • None
Researched Traps
  • Blade Lotus
  • Bombard
  • Gas Trap
  • Tar Trap

——————————————————

Known Unlocked Constructs

Baseline Unlocks

• Basic Matter Manipulation (Props)
  • Create Dungeon Core
  • Replacement Earth
    • *Note: can also build floors/ceilings
Researched Unlocks
  • Meat Cannon (Unlocks Tavern)

——————————————————

Known Potential Unlocks
These are things that Taylor has at least some information about in her catalogue, or has been told about by Almaric that she can do. Note that this list, unlike the others, is solely limited to things that have been mentioned in the story. They are also not necessarily immediately acquirable by Taylor, she just knows that they could be done, eventually.
  • Creatures:
    • Arcanist
    • Archon
    • Bone Warrior
    • Crackpot
    • Dark Angel
    • Democorn
    • Fairy
    • Nightmare
    • Succubus
    • Unicorn
    • Witch Doctor
    • Wizard
  • Rooms:
    • Arcanium
    • Sanctuary
    • Spirit Chamber
  • Spells:
    • Resurrection
    • Shackle
  • Structures
    • Research Shrine
——————————————————

Spoilered Major Notes, For The Interested

So this one needs a little explaining. 'Imps' in DK 1&2, WFTO, and D2 are workers. Why they're calling humanoid, squat, gremlin-things 'imps', don't ask me, but that's what DK decided and most of them stuck with. Problem is... 'most'.

See, D3 has an 'Imp' minion that isn't a worker, which is the demon faction basic unit you unlock with the Vortex (the demon faction version of a lair). And they're good for long-range, glass cannon dps, so I don't want to just leave them out.

They look like your pretty stereotypical 'imp' type of demon' apart from their size — hunched, horns, wings, spit fire, etc. But I can't call them 'imps', and the only thing even remotely close that I can think of is Mephits, which I know well from D&D, but they're elementals in D&D lore, not demons.

But that led me to an interesting thought: Namely, in WFTO, elementals are demons. That is to say, they all come from the same place the Underlords and their realms originated from: The Aether. And, even better, the 'Weaver' class of elementals all have elemental variants just like Mephits do. (Frost, Magma, etc)

Thus, I came to the decision that I would turn the D3 'Imp' into a 'Fire Mephit', and might as well leave allowance for Taylor to acquire other variants (if she puts in the work) just like the player can for Chunders and Weavers, in case it ends up being useful for her.

Also, just for my own easy reference, a list of 'what is being researched right now, and by whom?'

Note: The inline spoilers are the names of what's actually getting researched, assuming I've decided and needed to note it down. So treat inline spoilers as actual spoilers.

Current Research (in order)

Foundry
  • All Goblins — Free Projects (Undecided. Default behavior is typically to build parts until room stockpile is full, first.)
Archive
  • Almaric + Nagas (In Order)
    • Prophecy
    • Sanctuary
  • Fire Mephits -- Arcanium
  • Banshees -- Crypt
  • All Minions (In Order)
    • Complete own projects
    • Assist with other projects until all are finished
    • Work towards research shrine
    • Free study
  • On Hold (Free Study w/ Priority List)
    • Any One Invisibility (Invisibility)
    • Any Resource Acquisition (Alchemy Lab, Avarice)
Library
  • Currently Unused. (Tentatively reserved for Empire-aligned minions)

Edit, Copied from later post:

And, both for the curious and for myself so I don't have to keep searching my notes to find it, here's the general formula for how long it takes to research something. Note that this is a bit subjective, and I'm likely to fudge things a bit for pacing purposes now and again. So it's not a hard rule, but more of a 'guideline' to help me plan.
The formula for total research time is as follows:

Code:
T = f(b) / (2R + 1 + 0.15(n-1) + 0.3(s) + 0.9(R*S))
  • T = Total time required, expressed in hours.
  • f(b) = Base timeframe, which is based on rarity, complexity, and position in the game tech tree. In practice, this is subjectively assigned by myself, with twelve hours being the baseline for 'common, simple, easily acquired'. Jumps in rarity and complexity have a fairly large impact. Two examples would be the ultra-common Reskin taking only 2 hours for a single non-specialist, versus the high-difficulty, moderately-rare Resurrection taking roughly a full month.
  • n = Number of researchers.
  • s = Number of applicable specialities possessed by non-shrine researchers.
  • R = boolean; presence or absence of a research shrine.
  • S = number of applicable specialties possessed by shrine researchers.
  • Note — Multiple counts of the same specialty do not apply, and shrine researchers' specialties take priority over those of non-shrine researchers for the purposes of the value of S and s.

Last edited:
Ah, I saw a bunch of people were pretty quick to jump in to look at the new informational post, so for those of you who did, there's now a 'current research' spoiler as well, which I just edited in.

I might suggest having it mention 'as of threadmark such and such' just as an extra clarification, if you want to make multiple versions of this post, to be a 'progress log' or something.

I actually did just that a second ago with an edit to the church map (which is now actually relabeled as the 'Maps & Minions' series) :p

I also do it in my notes already, at least for a few files that list the background mechanics of how Taylor's power work, so I can list off what's canon as of what chapter, and what's me throwing out potential ideas.

The full unlock list won't have multiple versions. At least, not unless this gets to be so long I feel it's warranted.

I note that the Archive and the Library are noted down as separate buildings. Can I ask what the actual difference between the two of them are? I can see how the Lecture Hall would be different, but the Archive and the Library both just seem to be book research places of essentially the same stripe.

Or are they actually basically the same, just styled differently for Keepers with different tastes?

Whoops, you are correct. I always seem to just call the cultists warlocks in my head :p
They are extremely similar, I like to headcanon that Cultists are apprentice Warlocks; since they don't get as many abilities and they do a lot of 'grunt' ritual work in groups, whereas Warlocks prefer solo research and get grumpy when non-researchers bumble about in the library.

Or are they actually basically the same, just styled differently for Keepers with different tastes?

They're almost literally the same room, just one is from Dungeon Keeper (Library) and one is from War For The Overworld (Archive). They even more or less provide the same unit (Warlock vs Cultist) and function (that is, researching new toys).

In-story, there's no real difference, I just happened to go with the Archive look because I prefer the huge magical tome workstations and general clutter over the Library's random assortment of freestanding bookshelves.

Tbh that's true of most rooms in DK 1&2... I prefer the WFTO versions in terms of looks, mostly because the original games were highly limited in how much they could put in in terms of graphics. Not that I can't improvise and fancy them up a bit in-story.

(As a second example, the Workshop in DK is just a bunch of wooden buzz-saw tables scattered around an otherwise bare room, nothing more. The WFTO foundry is full of steel grates, bits of molten metal, smelters along the walls, crates of parts, and the workstations are big anvils which the chunders who work there literally slam their heads into to build the crates). The shrine that makes parts is a giant magical hemisphere covered in auto-hammers. Stuff like that.)

Last edited:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't object at all if you were to embellish a little on the assumption that they would have looked different had they been more contemporary.

Kinda already have, with the training room in the church. Technically it's called a 'Barracks' in WFTO to summon the Gnarlings, but it's almost literally the same design, which is why included DK unit unlocks with it. By that I mean the original DK design was just big target dummies made of wood. WFTO has fancier ones that spin and have armor/weapons, but otherwise it's the same room.

Same for the Lair, really.

There's at least one other unique-to-DK room I know I'm going to include for sure, too, that will get fancied up a bunch.

Hmm... unique-to-DK... If DK1 then the only genuinely unique room I can think of would be the forest of wriggling psychic eyeballs that is the Scavenger Room.

If DK2, then the Casino perhaps? I don't think the Casino actually shows up in any other game, despite the obviousness of its nature.

I'm going to guess Scavenger Room because I want to see Taylor's reaction to giant wriggling psychic eyeballs that let you whisper into people's minds at a distance.

Last edited:
If DK2, then the Casino perhaps? I don't think the Casino actually shows up in any other game, despite the obviousness of its nature.

I'm going to guess Scavenger Room because I want to see Taylor's reaction to giant wriggling psychic eyeballs that let you whisper into people's minds at a distance.
I can't see Taylor doing anything with the Scavenger Room other than locking it behind heavy security and in a concealed part of the Dungeon. Because that sort of wide-range mental contact would just have people looking for the Smurf as soon as it happened.

Back