Harry Potter and the Whims of Fate (Harry Potter Quest)

Did Slytherin have a bad reputation back when Tom graduated? I thought that was more recent. And I base Lily's lack of total options on the fact that it was said that Tom had his pick and it wasn't discussed with Lily. Obviously as Head Girl she had some options.

Slytherin has always had a bad reputation because of, well, Salazar Slytherin's beliefs on blood status.

Also, you're backtracking now, before Lily had no offers but now she does?

Slytherin has always had a bad reputation because of, well, Salazar Slytherin's beliefs on blood status.

I never said Lily had no offers, stop twisting my words. I said "Lily was Head Girl and I don't remember hearing that she could have her pick of jobs."
I also wasn't arguing that one's house limited one's options, but that they expand them in particular ways.

Did Slytherin have a bad reputation back when Tom graduated? I thought that was more recent. And I base Lily's lack of total options on the fact that it was said that Tom had his pick and it wasn't discussed with Lily. Obviously as Head Girl she had some options.

That's fair. I'm less interested in Slytherin politics than I am in the fruits of such.
It wasn't discussed because it was never relevant in any conversations in the book. We do know that Harry's parents were filthy rich though. We also know they were in the middle of the war and that she was a member of the Order of the Phoenix, and one of the members that survived the longest, so not only was she talented, she had more important things to worry about than a decent job. Also, Slughorn said that Lily was one of his greatest students ever and he taught Voldemort, so give her some credit. Also, she fought him three times and survived each time. It's not like Voldemort was hesitant to try kill those he fought.

As for Dumbledore, there are characters in the books who say that he was better than Voldemort outside of the dark arts. His list of achievements is also impressive. In addition, Dumbledore is the only person Voldemort ever feared.

It wasn't discussed because it was never relevant in any conversations in the book. We do know that Harry's parents were filthy rich though. We also know they were in the middle of the war and that she was a member of the Order of the Phoenix, and one of the members that survived the longest, so not only was she talented, she had more important things to worry about than a decent job. Also, Slughorn said that Lily was one of his greatest students ever and he taught Voldemort, so give her some credit. Also, she fought him three times and survived each time. It's not like Voldemort was hesitant to try kill those he fought.

As for Dumbledore, there are characters in the books who say that he was better than Voldemort outside of the dark arts. His list of achievements is also impressive. In addition, Dumbledore is the only person Voldemort ever feared.
If you're talking about the thrice defied thing it isn't that they fought him three times
"
MA: What about the three times-- The thrice-defying of Voldemort?

JKR: Of James and Lily?

MA: Of Neville's parents. Well, James and Lily, too.

JKR: It depends how you take defying, doesn't it. I mean, if you're counting, which I do, anytime you arrested one of his henchmen, anytime you escaped him, anytime you thwarted him, that's what he's looking for. And both couples qualified because they were both fighting. Also, James and Lily turned him down, that was established in "Philosopher's Stone". He wanted them, and they wouldn't come over, so that's one strike against them before they were even out of their teens." from "PotterCast Interviews J.K. Rowling, part one." (2007), Accio Quote!

Sure, but is that evidence of the superiority of a Gryffindor education or the result of a long life and the Elder Wand?

A reputation as blood purists and dark wizards, not a reputation for giving a poor education. It's well within our power to not get caught up in blood politics and to not start sacrificing virgins at midnight.

Last edited:
Sure, but is that evidence of the superiority of a Gryffindor education or the result of a long life and the Elder Wand?

Er, Albus didn't get the Elder Wand till he was in his 60's, by which time he was already considered one of the two greatest wizards in the world.

A reputation as blood purists and dark wizards, not a reputation for giving a poor education. It's well within our power to not get caught up in blood politics and to not start sacrificing virgins at midnight.

1. You only asked me a general question, did they have a bad reputation, not about their education.
2. What is your obsession with Hogwarts education, you do realize that people still learn after leaving school, right?

Er, Albus didn't get the Elder Wand till he was in his 60's, by which time he was already considered one of the two greatest wizards in the world.

1. You only asked me a general question, did they have a bad reputation, not about their education.
2. What is your obsession with Hogwarts education, you do realize that people still learn after leaving school, right?
My 'obsession' is that it's the choice we're about to make so it's the whole point of this discussion. Are you forgetting that somehow?
He still wouldn't claim he was Voldemort's match even outside of the dark arts
"
"You flatter me," said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had
powers I will never have."
"Only because you're too — well — noble to use them."
"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madam
Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs.""
But, again, it's really and truly off topic now; we're discussing what house to choose and I think Slytherin is a good choice for advancing Harry's contacts and abilities, especially since he's already all but a professional in the core disciplines, which I expect Ravenclaw to focus on.

My 'obsession' is that it's the choice we're about to make so it's the whole point of this discussion. Are you forgetting that somehow?
He still wouldn't claim he was Voldemort's match even outside of the dark arts
"
"You flatter me," said Dumbledore calmly. "Voldemort had
powers I will never have."
"Only because you're too — well — noble to use them."
"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madam
Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs.""
But, again, it's really and truly off topic now; we're discussing what house to choose and I think Slytherin is a good choice for advancing Harry's contacts and abilities, especially since he's already all but a professional in the core disciplines, which I expect Ravenclaw to focus on.

That conversation is proof of what I've been saying the whole time, that the only thing Voldemort trumps Albus in is the stuff (read Dark Arts) that Albus refuses to use.

Anyway, I agree this is getting off-topic now so let's just agree to disagree.

Preliminary Tally.

Vote Tally : Harry Potter and the Whims of Fate (Harry Potter Quest) | Page 17 | Sufficient Velocity
##### NetTally 1.1.15
[X] Ravenclaw
No. of Votes: 17
[x] Slytherin
No. of Votes: 5
[X] Gryffindor
No. of Votes: 4

Total No. of Voters: 26

Preliminary Tally.

Vote Tally : Harry Potter and the Whims of Fate (Harry Potter Quest) | Page 17 | Sufficient Velocity
##### NetTally 1.1.15
[X] Ravenclaw
No. of Votes: 17
[x] Slytherin
No. of Votes: 5
[X] Gryffindor
No. of Votes: 4

Total No. of Voters: 26
Debate is more of a tie-breaker I presume?

Is the vote over? If not,
[X] Ravenclaw
The house of learning. The curious thrive here as they find fertile ground in which to seek out answers and meet like-minded individuals. They have a private library, and your thirst for magical knowledge is most likely to be sated here.

[X] Gryffindor

Perhaps Harry will be adventurous enough to go out of the Hotel after joining the House of the Brave?:p

[X] Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw really suits this build of Harry better than Gryffindor or Slytherin. And it's mostly a neutral house, if Harry were sorted into Gryffindor people (especially Slytherins) may develop negative preconceived notions about him. I also like Flitwick better than McGonagall. I think Flitwick's skill set is slightly better suited to helping develop Harry into a BAMF, if that is an option later on. As long as Snape is involved in Slytherin I want no part of being sorted in that house. And The Grey Lady is more interesting than Nearly Headless Nick.

I've had enough of Gryffindor from canon and fanfiction. Admittedly there are a lot of RavenclawHarry fics out there, but GryffindorHarry still populates more fanfiction than any other house.

I like the Fat Friar more, i'm sure he died of alcoholism.

Fucking hilarious. But on a more serious note, according the wiki:-

The Friar was executed because senior churchmen grew suspicious of his ability to cure the pox merely by poking peasants with a stick, and his ill-advised habit of pulling rabbits out of the communion cup.

HIATUS ANNOUNCEMENT
Hey people, got some unfortunate news for y'all.

Due to my upcoming military conscription, which was originally going to start late in October, but due to some unforeseen circumstances is starting as of next Monday; this quest will be on hiatus for the next 3 months at least, after which we can tell you more.

Neither of us are looking to abandon it - we have some pretty cool stuff plotted out - so as long as we both have the time, I'm sure we'll try keep it running.

Hey people, got some unfortunate news for y'all.

Due to my upcoming military conscription, which was originally going to start late in October, but due to some unforeseen circumstances is starting as of next Monday; this quest will be on hiatus for the next 3 months at least, after which we can tell you more.

Neither of us are looking to abandon it - we have some pretty cool stuff plotted out - so as long as we both have the time, I'm sure we'll try keep it running.

Good luck!

Back