Stress: 5/10

Accomplishments
Mechanical Engineering degree
Got a job in your field
Type 37 Special Purpose Rifle
Type 38 Self-Loading Pistol

Friends
Maeda Rumi: Your roommate.
Sanders Clara Rose: A colleague who works for Naylor, Sons & Daughters.

Coworkers
Mr. Watanabe: Your superior.
Mr. Akutagawa: The boss of the company.

Workshop 3
Ms. Ikeda Nioh: Chemist. She also seems to be Mr Watanabe's personal secretary, but you're not sure if that's an official position.
Mr. Yakade Yasuo: Physicist, specialized in ballistics. A living, breathing Technical Appendix C.
Mx. Kusonoki Mayumi: Has a degree in materials science. Gets a look on their face when they say they know more about wood than anyone.
Mr. Shiragiku Hideyoshi: Metalworker. Having met him, you've learned why metalworking is a craft and the meaning of the phrase "thinks himself heaven's gift to women".
Mr. Kashiwa Ichiro: An apprentice gunsmith with a background in carpentry and actually using guns on people.

Technologies
Rifles (Familiar)
Shotguns (Familiar)
Pistols (Familiar)

Rotate-and-pull bolts (Practical)
Straight-pull bolts (Practical)
Aperture sights (Practical)
Stripper clips (Practical)
Lever-delayed blowback operation (Practical)
Double-stack magazines (Practical)
Single-action handguns (Practical)
En bloc clips (Conceptual)
Simple blowback operation (Conceptual)
Short recoil operation (Conceptual)
Toggle-delayed blowback operation (Conceptual)
Blow forward operation (Conceptual)
Simple blowback operation (Conceptual)
Double-action pistols (Conceptual)
Automatic revolvers (Conceptual)

Last edited:
I mean, if we can add a flash hider we probably have enough time to make a muzzle break instead, right @FrangibleCover ?

Also I'm a bit annoyed we didn't get the more in depth customization on the scope like many where expecting, care to explain that?
You have the time to make a muzzle brake, you do not have the time to make the first rifle calibre muzzle brake ever constructed (to my knowledge) with no knowledge of any prior art in the field. It would be a good addition but we just don't think it's possible.

As to the customisation, @xthetenth is right. Akitsukuni is far enough ahead of Japan to be able to make what they're calling an Austrasian Telescope (with reference to Japanese 'Dutch Studies'), which applied to a gun is more or less a Galilean Sight, but Tachibana doesn't really understand enough and Hotaka don't have the expertise to make something very fancy. This was the Patriotic option, not the Custom Special Forward-Looking option, which was clearly denoted by saying that the result would be reduced quality.

[X] Add carved inlays on the stock
[X] Give it a simple folding stand, to help support the weight

Do we need to specify what's going to be carved? I'm assuming by default it would be some kind of Imperial livery.
I mean, if you have a cool idea then go ahead! We won't necessarily take it, but the creative process is not a duopoly.

You have the time to make a muzzle brake, you do not have the time to make the first rifle calibre muzzle brake ever constructed
I find this funny considering that the first idea and execution of a muzzle break was for a rifle. Chevalier Treville de Beaulieu wondered if one could reduce the recoil of a rifle by drilling holes into the end and top of the barrel at an angle he succeeded in 1842 but his findings weren't given merit until the French navy did an actual study 20 years later. So yes its possible and has been done, the idea itself isn't hard to come up with tbh its just a matter of how good it will be really even a 15% decrees could be considered good given the lack of knowledge.
As to the customisation, @xthetenth is right.
I just wanted to add a BDC really considering that the idea of putting one on a scope took nearly 2 world wars to figure out the simple idea of putting a picture of a ladder sight on your scope.

-[X] If time permits,
--[X] Add carved inlays on the stock

Why not put a flash hider on? We did set out to make the most technologically advanced rifle we could, right?
Because a flash hider doesn't really do anything. It just keeps you from seeing so much of the flash, which is kinda useful for night shooting and utterly pointless for daytime sniping. Unless you start getting into muzzle breaks, it's not going to affect the handling much

Because a flash hider doesn't really do anything. It just keeps you from seeing so much of the flash, which is kinda useful for night shooting and utterly pointless for daytime sniping. Unless you start getting into muzzle breaks, it's not going to affect the handling much
It makes your shooting less of a nuisance at the range. To both others and yourself.

Let us be honest, it is a show piece for the Empress and a way to show that we can make firearms that are works of art.

So if we decide to make a ~~fancy~~ flash hider, how ~~fancy~~ can we make it? I'm thinking of sword basket hilts but on the end of a huge sniper rifle:

-[X] If time permits,

Since we've gone for function first, looks second, we really need to get that folding stand first before any other changes.

[X] Shorten it a bit (-Weight, -Handling, reduced velocity, 1 Stress)

Lower handling is good, yes?

??? I double-checked, Handling is listed as 'Low'. Recoil is what's 'High'.
Handling is a high number, which results in a low rating. The rating of low is a bad thing, as it presumably means that it is hard to handle
E: (to vote)
[X] Add carved inlays in the stock
(will consider other voted in the morning)

Last edited:
-[X] If time permits,

Well, it's good we were able to make the time to do something for one of our people, so there's that.

Can I just say I'm still sad we never went for the full-on 20mm anti-tank rifle mounted on an armored car idea that got written about in an omake somewhere? We would have gotten all the "and just how many psychedelics have you been abusing" looks but dear Fishgod would it have been worth it.

Fuck it my option ain't gonna win but I might as well throw it out there

[X] a muzzle break

Aside from this being a post urging people to please please PLEASE consider adding the muzzle break to your votes, it is also to inform on the fact that Savage made a ball lock rifle at a somewhat affordable price.

I'll provide the counterbalance to the muzzle brake camp.

A rifle barrel and muzzle is a precision instrument. How it releases the bullet into the air is deeply impacted by the geometry of the muzzle being just right, to the point where back in the bad old days of muzzle loaders, precision rifles would have a precisely mated false muzzle that you'd put on, and it'd present a nice shallow angle and swage grooves into the projectile exactly in line with the rifle's bore. The best ones were made by fitting the false muzzle to the barrel for the rifling step of manufacture. Naturally the tight fit and rifling match means these are individual to the gun. The reason you need this is that the best bore for accuracy is nice and sharp. That's vital for accuracy. For a while, you'd even get breech loaders with a false muzzle for target guns due to the belief that it'd allow the bullet to be better seated into the rifling for perfect concentricity.

Thankfully we don't have to deal with a lot of that, but for a precision gun that shoots well, messing with the muzzle end concerns me greatly, especially if you intend to do something that messes with the shockwave coming from the muzzle. In addition we'd be putting a mass on the end of the muzzle, with goodness only knows what effect it'll have on the harmonics. I don't even know how well we know about any of the harmonics involved in a rifle, but I'd expect we have some level of empirical familiarity with the phenomenon.

Lastly I don't know of any prior art in the field on this scale. To the best of my knowledge Cutts didn't know of any small arms scale muzzle devices when he made his compensator.

Note that even if we know of the equivalent of Treville de Beaulieu's experiments, the British knew of them too, and their attempt to use the technique was unsatisfactory. I'm exceedingly loathe to try to take a display piece and attempt to add a component where the design process works according to the 'try it and see' principle.

Last edited:
I'll provide the counterbalance to the muzzle brake camp.
The muzzle break camp consist of one guy doing the equivalent of voting third party but I digress.

Thankfully we don't have to deal with a lot of that, but for a precision gun that shoots well, messing with the muzzle end concerns me greatly, especially if you intend to do something that messes with the shockwave coming from the muzzle. In addition we'd be putting a mass on the end of the muzzle, with goodness only knows what effect it'll have on the harmonics. I don't even know how well we know about any of the harmonics involved in a rifle, but I'd expect we have some level of empirical familiarity with the phenomenon.
I will admit that I don't know even a fraction of the intricacies of manufacturing a barrel but there should at least be a test barrel or two we can use for seeing how we can make the muzzle break right? We have to have some form of test bench for figuring out riffling and powder charges we can use for the muzzle break...right?

Lastly I don't know of any prior art in the field on this scale. To the best of my knowledge Cutts didn't know of any small arms scale muzzle devices when he made his compensator.

Note that even if we know of the equivalent of Treville de Beaulieu's experiments, the British knew of them too, and their attempt to use the technique was unsatisfactory. I'm exceedingly loathe to try to take a display piece and attempt to add a component where the design process works according to the 'try it and see' principle.
Well you're not wrong about that, there was no other research on muzzle breaks for small arms until the later stages of WWI, all the testing and production was for naval cannons. As for the British, my best guess is a combo of bad info and arrogance but that's just a guess. I'm just trying to see if we can get something to help reduce the recoil, as well as possibly getting the attention of the army/Navy and getting properly researched so we can make better use of it at a later time. Is that to much to ask?

I will admit that I don't know even a fraction of the intricacies of manufacturing a barrel but there should at least be a test barrel or two we can use for seeing how we can make the muzzle break right? We have to have some form of test bench for figuring out riffling and powder charges we can use for the muzzle break...right?
Sure, but an experimental testbed rifle where we just see if things work is not the one we should give as a gift to the Empress of our nation. If there was any prior examples we could draw from, even as an indication of what not to do, we might've been able to pull it off with a good roll.

Back