Stress: 5/10

Accomplishments
Mechanical Engineering degree
Got a job in your field
Type 37 Special Purpose Rifle
Type 38 Self-Loading Pistol

Friends
Maeda Rumi: Your roommate.
Sanders Clara Rose: A colleague who works for Naylor, Sons & Daughters.

Coworkers
Mr. Watanabe: Your superior.
Mr. Akutagawa: The boss of the company.

Workshop 3
Ms. Ikeda Nioh: Chemist. She also seems to be Mr Watanabe's personal secretary, but you're not sure if that's an official position.
Mr. Yakade Yasuo: Physicist, specialized in ballistics. A living, breathing Technical Appendix C.
Mx. Kusonoki Mayumi: Has a degree in materials science. Gets a look on their face when they say they know more about wood than anyone.
Mr. Shiragiku Hideyoshi: Metalworker. Having met him, you've learned why metalworking is a craft and the meaning of the phrase "thinks himself heaven's gift to women".
Mr. Kashiwa Ichiro: An apprentice gunsmith with a background in carpentry and actually using guns on people.

Technologies
Rifles (Familiar)
Shotguns (Familiar)
Pistols (Familiar)

Rotate-and-pull bolts (Practical)
Straight-pull bolts (Practical)
Aperture sights (Practical)
Stripper clips (Practical)
Lever-delayed blowback operation (Practical)
Double-stack magazines (Practical)
Single-action handguns (Practical)
En bloc clips (Conceptual)
Simple blowback operation (Conceptual)
Short recoil operation (Conceptual)
Toggle-delayed blowback operation (Conceptual)
Blow forward operation (Conceptual)
Simple blowback operation (Conceptual)
Double-action pistols (Conceptual)
Automatic revolvers (Conceptual)

Last edited:
The person who rolls makes the decision. So if you have an opinion, be the one to roll!

3-4 Weights
You slam the bolt forward and swing it closed before handing the skeleton of a prototype rifle back to Shiragiku. He grips it casually by the cloth around the barrel and the bar of steel sketching out the stock shape.

"It's a bit… rough, isn't it?" You say, tremulously.

Shiragiku looks unphased: "Oh, it's not as nice as the Type 14, no. That's a consequence of the front locking lugs, it's nothing we can change. Even next to a Ritterin design you'd barely notice."

"Seems fine to me." volunteers Kashiwa.

"Ichiro," Kusunoki grins, "I have seen you wreck a rifle by squeezing a spent casing down the barrel while trying to chamber a new round. I don't think you get an opinion."

Kashiwa's rumbling laughter fills the room for a moment.

"I've had a good idea for the testing, Tachibana!" says Yadake, "We fire the gun as it is, then we put a small lead weight on it and fire it again and we keep doing that until the felt recoil is comfortable."

You think about this for a moment and a vision of that famous Albian scientist with the three laws manifests, reminding you of what a lot of force does to very light objects. Like you.

"Would it not be more sensible to put all the weights on and reduce the weight until the recoil is uncomfortable?"

Yadake freezes for a full second before responding: "Either way would work," he says, attempting diffidence. He troops out to the firing range, accompanied by Shiragiku with the rifle and Kusunoki with the prized differential manometer.

You look around the workshop, momentarily at a loose end, and notice the calendar above Kusunoki's desk. Was that there before? You might be a girl who likes silk, but the pose that Miss April is in is just... it's like she's not even a person anymore, just a thing for others to ogle! You reach out to take it down to put it in Kusunoki's drawers. The next time you see them you should ask them to take it home. You don't really want to touch it, but you leaf through some of the months to see if Miss April was just a one-off: You needn't have bothered, the rest of the women look just the same. The men aren't as badly depicted, though you feel like Mister August would have better luck picking up that towel if he bent at the knees. Or looked at it.

---

Ikeda bustles in, dropping a stack of magazines on Shiragiku's desk. "Trade publications are here. Get them while they're only six months out of date."

You turn through the pile, sorting out Kusunoki's Proceedings In Materials Science from Yadake's thing in Dyske about handloading Europan hunting cartridges and Shiragiku's Le Machiniste Moderne. Near the bottom you find a special edition of Alleghenian Riflewoman: Rifle Marksmanship From the Quarter-Mile to the Half-Mile. That sounds relevant! You take it back to your desk and flip it open surreptitiously. Ikeda has excelled herself again and your copy of Alleghenian Rifleman, with Rifle Marksmanship From the Quarter-Mile to the Half-Mile, is tucked inside. They're not usually very different except the pronouns and the adverts, but it pays to check.

The first few pages are given over to the writer's own qualifications and a lengthy anecdote about growing up in Bethel that you don't really think you're being paid to read. You flip back to the table of contents and find a more relevant-sounding headline, then cut the corresponding pages open.

By the time the lunch you skipped is over, the only pages left uncut are the rest of the anecdote and the index. Even though the chapter on non-telescopic sights is exhaustive, it's obvious that the performance of shooters at long range is massively improved by a telescope, and you certainly wouldn't want Her Majesty to perform badly with her gun. Further it seems what you thought of at first, a regular Austrasian telescope with an open lens at either end of the rifle, isn't the be-all and end-all technology. The benefits include accounting for barrel drop, but even the woman writing the article considers them unnecessarily fiddly. In the end she narrows it down to a few options, and when you exclude the ones from companies with no presence in Akitsukuni, you're left with just two: a Dyskelandic telescope built by Bilz Precision Instruments with a 3x magnification and a multitude of adjustment options and an Alleghenian telescope made by Bates, the gun company, with a 5x magnification and more limited adjustments. Unusually, the Rifleman and Riflewoman differ, with the author drawing on her experience with the windage adjustment in shooting at around the 900 yard range to recommend the Bilz in Riflewoman but talking about a shot she made at an incredible 1546 yards to recommend the Bates in Rifleman.

They're all foreign, though, and you're giving this to Her Majesty the Empress of Akitsukuni. Maybe you should go with a normal diopter sight, or at least one of the Austrasian telescopes: Austrasian merchants have sold those for over three hundred years. Indeed, you're pretty sure there's a shop out in the suburbs that makes Akitsukuni telescopes, maybe they could do you a special job...

---

What sort of sight system will you fit to the rifle?

[ ] Buy a 3x Bilz (better for extremely accurate shooting at moderate ranges)
[ ] Buy a 5x Bates (better for accurate shooting at exceptional ranges)
[ ] Contract for the first rifle-telescope system ever built in Akitsukuni (inferior quality but patriotic)
[ ] Ignore the telescopes and build a really good diopter system (doesn't increase accuracy, but you can't be criticised for it)​

---

You're the second person into the office on Wednesday, courtesy of an unusually fast streetcar ride, and find Yadake as hard at work as always.

"It's comfortable enough for me, but, ah, I'm not exactly Her Imperial Majesty…" Yadake says, as you're both standing over the prototype. Several of the lead weights are gone, but there's still plenty left, giving the rifle a hefty weight.

"Yeah yeah, Kusunoki and I can take it from here," you say, "tell them when they come in? The sight mounting is keeping me busy."

Kusunoki arrives maybe fifteen minutes later, a sudden baritone to their voice pulling you away from your technical drafts:

"...doesn't make sense, I'm nothing like the Empress."

You wander out from your officette to see what's going on, and Kusunoki wheels towards you, taking a half step back.

"Tell him Tachibana, you meant that you'd shoot and I'd assist you, right?" they say, although it's not really a question.

"Uh…" you manage "I had been thinking we'd both do firings. We're the two shortest--"

Kusunoki cuts across you: "I'm not like you! I'm not like the Empress!"

While you're trying to think of a reply they storm off in the direction of their desk. They flick through their drawers, pull the calendar back out, and spread Miss April back onto the wall.

You glance towards Yadake, whose face is that impassive, slightly smug look you associate with men when they can dismiss something that concerns women as not their business. Which doesn't make any sense because… oh. Is that what this is about.

You should probably talk to Kusunoki. At some point.

It gnaws at you for a bit, but after a couple of hours of finding exactly how much the prototype rifle needs to weigh to almost but not quite dislocate your shoulder it doesn't seem like such a big deal: it's not your job to handle Kusunoki's personal problems. This is a workplace, and you all have to be professional.

They seem to have come to the same conclusion. When you get back into the office after lunch they give you a polite nod and then call you over to look at magazine options.

"You see, Miss Tachibana, I need to know now so that I can order the magazine spring material as soon as possible. There's a supplier issue. What have you been thinking?"

You open your mouth to respond:

---

What do you say?

[ ] 3 round magazine
[ ] 5 round magazine
[ ] 10 round magazine
[ ] You know what, hang the magazine. This thing with Kusunoki can't continue. (+2 Stress)​

REMINDER: THERE ARE TWO VOTES FOR THIS ONE, THE OPTIC AND THE MAGAZINE.

[X] Contract for the first rifle-telescope system ever built in Akitsukuni (inferior quality but patriotic)

The industry has to start somewhere, after all.

[X] You know what, hang the magazine. This thing with Kusunoki can't continue. (+2 Stress)

We can afford the stress, and this really needs to be resolved.

[X] Contract for the first rifle-telescope system ever built in Akitsukuni (inferior quality but patriotic)

[X] You know what, hang the magazine. This thing with Kusunoki can't continue. (+2 Stress)

Hopefully if we go patriotic it will help towards more long term development. Can't be relying on foreign supply chains.

Welcome back! Optics, hooray!

I'll cheerfully opine at length about how things on optics factor into shooting or the fascinating optical properties of diopters if anyone's got questions about what feature sets early optics can have.

Right now I'm just curious whether rifleman or riflewoman has the better ads, and whether the differences in recommendation signify a cultural tendency in the west towards slightly gendered preferences in shooting disciplines. Do they have different competitions, and so on? Are there stereotypes like 'guys can't hack it in high crosswinds'?

I want to write a spec sheet for an early rifle optic. I want a reasonable capacity (five round) magazine without too much fussing about with things like a double stack magazine, which has downsides for precision since the bullets are loaded from two different places through two different ramps. But more than that I want a functioning work environment.

Last edited:
[X] 5 round magazine

When has ignoring problems ever not worked.

What is the thing with Kusunoki exactly? Am kind of confused, this didn't update for a while.

What sort of sight system will you fit to the rifle?

I'm sure HIH has land to shoot on, but I seriously doubt she's got the space for a one kilometer shot. Still, a telescopic scope is nice! (And, uh...I'm a bad enough shot to use a 12x scope at 100 yards...in my defense it's 22lr!)

What do you say?

We need our staff hale and healthy in order to continue our work. We've got to resolve this while we have the opening.

What is the thing with Kusunoki exactly? Am kind of confused, this didn't update for a while.
How to put this?

Kusunoki is non-binary, we asked for help with figuring out the right weight for mitigating the amount of recoil felt because we're the two shortest and most lightweight people in the staff and thus, the best approximation for how it would feel for the Empress to shoot it as a short, lightweight woman. They didn't take that idea very well.

Last edited:

Kusonoki's been dealing with some issues about their non-binary identity, and seems to have been getting the nasty end of womens' gendered stereotypes, so getting what amounts to 'have the two people who aren't men test fire the gun intended for a woman' is probably really nasty for them.

Back in the workshop you're watching Kashiwa carefully rout out a Type 10 stock to test the holster stock idea. Yadake had shattered the stock's forearm in the rifle tests, but cut down like this it would be perfect. Speaking of Yadake, he and Kusunoki are looking at the engineering drawings, trying to find weight savings. You wander over to them.

"Can we flute this bit slightly?" he asks, perhaps a little tremulously.

"Yeah, no problem mate." Kusunoki answers "You'll save another ten grams from that."

"Right. How about the hammer? Hollow the hammer out?"

"Yeah sure, don't need that. Another five there." Kusunoki's tone is light but their face is absolutely rigid.

"Five? O-okay. That brings total savings to, uh, to three hundred and ninety three grams. Kusunoki, that's over fifty one percent of the empty mass."

Kusunoki nods, which surprises you. That... doesn't sound right at all. You have to step in. Kashiwa provides the perfect distraction, putting the tool through the side of the stock again and exercising some of the interesting Cathayan words he'd learned in the Army. You quickly grab Kusunoki's elbow and steer them away from the drafting table while Yadake is rummaging for another stock. You take a seat at your desk and use a low voice, no need to make this too public.

"Is something wrong?" you ask.

"No, nothing's wrong, ma'am," they say curtly.

You give them a quizzical look. Their shoulders sink together—you hadn't even noticed they were pushing them out⁠—and their voice returns to its normal middle register:

"It's not very convincing, is it? I just come off as a woman."

"What, no!" you say, "Has anyone said that to you?"

"No, but… I don't wanna be a woman! But then all I do is be a bitch and tell people things can't be done because the money has to be spent wisely."

You bite your tongue. Women as humourless, straightlaced misers who took a nearly sadistic pleasure in denying their sons and husbands fun when managing the family finances. It was a staple of the kind of jokes and comedy you didn't like, but why Kusunoki? They weren't female, they were non-binary.

"So I'm acting like a woman, and I look like a woman, and everyone's going to think I'm a woman and they're going to treat me like a woman," Kusunoki is tearing up behind their square-framed glasses.

You stand up and approach them, your arms hanging awkwardly as you're not sure if a comforting hug would be too feminine for them right now.

"I don't wanna be treated like a woman. I don't wanna be a woman," they sniffle, "I just… wanna do things and not be a woman because of it. And I don't want to have to be serene and monastical all the time either. I wanna be able to say things are going over budget and get angry without having people think my spirit was stuck thinking it was female for so long it forgot how it should be non-binary."

They take off their glasses and wipe the corner of an eye on a sleeve. They put their glasses back, and through the lenses you can see their eyes widen. Suddenly they straighten, and you worry momentarily that the mask is back on.

"Oh spirits I'm a mess and you're a woman and here I am talking about how shit it is to be a woman I'm so sorry, boss. Ma'am."

Gotta go for that maximum patriotism.

[X] 5 round magazine

Eh. I'm sure they'll work it out

Maybe . . .

I'm sure HIH has land to shoot on, but I seriously doubt she's got the space for a one kilometer shot. Still, a telescopic scope is nice! (And, uh...I'm a bad enough shot to use a 12x scope at 100 yards...in my defense it's 22lr!)

It's not that the higher magnification is in itself wrong for the distance, it's that it's more adjustable. The 3x, while it's still in the range where it's usable at all, will be more precise if it's got a windage adjustment and the 5x doesn't, because you aren't trying to hold the reticle, which at this point presumably has very little other than a crosshair or a post, off the target the exactly right amount. Instead you can dial in how much you expect the bullet to be blown off course and put the thing right on target.

I've shot 100 yards at 1x (offhand trying to hit steel) and at 20+x (braced, trying to zero with as small a group as possible), context and what you want out of your shot makes a huge difference in what the best setup looks like.

Back