Game, Set, [MAFIA]

Do people like pointless polls with their mafia?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I didn't answer this.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Wynaut?

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Just for quick reference for the newer players alongside the megathread posted in the rules, here is the wiki I frequently reference in case any of you get lost on terms or role names that you might not be able to find in the megathread. It's already linked in the megathread link, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to more quickly bring it to the front page alongside the megathread link.

This one here at Mafia Universe is also useful if you are having trouble finding an exact role name or if the description for what a role does is too vague. It probably won't be necessary since this is supposed to be semi-open, but I figured it couldn't hurt. It also makes for an interesting read if you are just interested in seeing everything that a GM could potentially do in terms of variety.

Last edited:
IS IT TIME???? It's been nighttime in my other mafia game for a whole 5 hours and I need my fix already.

All PMs have been sent out, you can either confirm in the thread or in PM.

It's a semi-open game. Once Day 1 starts, Nictis is gonna tell us all roles.
Hmm i must have missed that, sorry.

"This game will be a semi-open game, starting on Day 1 all potential roles will be revealed to the thread, as well as the list of the Mafia's factional abilities. Each role and ability will have some sort of hidden drawback or limitation that will only be known to the player that receives the role. " Right there. I'm dumb.

Last edited:
Just as a reminder, once the game starts up post editing will be forbidden.

Day 1 Start
You all awaken from a deep slumber, you know what must be done.

There are nine Town and three Mafia remaining. Hammer is set at seven.

All potential roles of the Town.
-Bodyguard
-Bulletproof
-Cop
-Doctor x2
-Fool x3
-Tracker
-Vigilante
-Watcher x2

The Mafia's Abilities:
-Murder.
-Dousing.
-Igniting.
-Rolecop.
-Roleblock.
-Lawyer.

The Mafia are aware of which roles are not in play.

The Day will end either when Hammer is achieved or at

You all awaken from a deep slumber, you know what must be done.

There are nine Town and three Mafia remaining. Hammer is set at seven.

-Bodyguard
-Bulletproof
-Cop
-Doctor x2
-Fool x3
-Tracker
-Vigilante
-Watcher x2

The Mafia's Abilities:
-Murder.
-Dousing.
-Igniting.
-Rolecop.
-Roleblock.
-Lawyer.

The Mafia are aware of which roles are not in play.

The Day will end either when Hammer is achieved or at
Are all those abilities available to the Maf, or just a subset of them? (or would you rather nit say?)

Can you explain fool and lawyer?

And do dousing and igniting have to happen on separate nights? Also does arson take the place of a factional kill?

Can you explain fool and lawyer?

And do dousing and igniting have to happen on separate nights? Also does arson take the place of a factional kill?
Fool is a role that is required to visit another player at night. Lawyer will flip investigations so that Guilty and Innocent are reversed. The other questions I will not answer however.

Here we go again, same old mafia again, marching up to the lynching machine, five more votes till we're through!

[X] Vote Mesonoxian

[x] Vote Nictis

Nictis claims to know that there's 3 scum! Who'd know that there are 3 scum exactly? Scum obviously!

-Bodyguard
-Bulletproof
-Cop
-Doctor x2
-Fool x3
-Tracker
-Vigilante
-Watcher x2

The Mafia's Abilities:
-Murder.
-Dousing.
-Igniting.
-Rolecop.
-Roleblock.
-Lawyer.

Okay, first thing, we got "all potential roles for town" and "the mafia's abilities." Based on Nictis' response above, I assume that the mafia has all of these, and knows exactly what town has in play. This, at a glance, honestly makes me think town's just kind of fucked, but it's possible that scum's actually a lot weaker than the list suggests at a glance. (If, say, killing+arson aren't compatible, that halves the effective speed with which mafia wins) OTOH, I don't think town has any possible way of confirming a lot of this.

So, this is a bit of a mess. We don't know if abilities are all distributed with each mafia getting one (or all?!) actions each night, or mafia is like an arsonist, a dual rolecop/block and a lawyer. Mafia also is loaded on powers to nullify anything town does. The fools potentially number equal to the mafia, each of our investigative roles has a clear failure condition or two, and mafia knows *exactly* which ones are unprovable to claim at any given moment, and that's not considering that each of them has a drawback.

In the worst case, mafia more or less wins D3 presuming dousing doubles their rate of kills.

We know, ostensibly, that everything that anyone does has some kind of hidden drawback (though wtf is a hidden drawback on a fool whose 'power' seems to be a straight up disadvantage to their faction in the first place?) It's likely that what we don't see here is quite good for town on the whole.

So, basically, in the worst case for town, none of our powers actually work with anything resembling reliability, scum has near impunity on fakeclaims and scum has a horrific rate of murder, while also being able to kill twice as fast as a normal scum team.

Fool is a role that is required to visit another player at night. Lawyer will flip investigations so that Guilty and Innocent are reversed. The other questions I will not answer however.
So is Fool a strictly detrimental role?

If so, I pity the Fool.

This seems like some extremely dubious speculation, and I'm not sure what purpose it's purported to serve.
[X] Vote Shadell

Back