Extra Credits: Extra Sci Fi

If it becomes its own long-term thing maybe we should, but while it's just this miniseries I think the history thread is fine.

I fucking Searched for that thread. Before I asked but Nothing showed up.
Now I feel like a fool.
But in trying to get the Thread back on track I saw a post from them, extractedit, on YouTube saying their going to have a list of everything you're going over and have gone over

Last edited:
I've always wanted to read Dunsany's stuff, but for some reason I've only ever managed to read one story: "The Fortress Unvanquishable, Save For Sacnoth", which was pretty awesome.

Hugo Gernsback
New episode!

Kinda odd they don't mention Gernsback's own (purportedly kinda crappy) SF novel Ralph 124C 41+. Odder that they don't mention that he invented the term science fiction (unless they discussed it in an earlier video?). Granted, apparently the man himself preferred the single word "scientifiction", which is pretty weird.

Also, I'm getting the sense that they're gonna skip ERB, since we're already hanging in the '20s.:(

EDIT: Anyways, if they are gonna talk about important magazine editors, d'you think they'll talk about Ray Palmer? If they do, I hope they talk about the Shaver Mystery

Last edited:
Granted, apparently the man himself preferred the single word "scientifiction", which is pretty weird.

That's not the only weird neologism he came up with:

Article:
The Making of Future Man
James Gleick

Syracuse University Libraries, Special Collections Research CenterHugo Gernsback wearing his Isolator, which eliminates external noises for concentration, from Science and Invention, July, 1925

[...]

First, though, he was a radio man, immersed in and obsessed with the new technology of wireless communication. He was an inventor in the turn-of-the-century generation inspired by Thomas Edison; among his eighty patents are "Radio Horn"; "Detectorium"; "Luminous Electric Mirror"; "Ear Cushion" (for telephone receivers); "Combined Electric Hair Brush and Comb" ("may also be used as a massage instrument"). He formed the first radio hobbyist group, the Wireless Association of America, when he was twenty-five years old, and incorporated its successor, the Radio League of America, six years later; created Radio News magazine; and started one of New York's first stations, WRNY, broadcasting from atop the Roosevelt Hotel on Madison Avenue. The station and the league promoted the magazine, and the magazine promoted the station and the league, and all promoted Gernsback. He was an evangelist for the church we might call electronic culture. Most of us are its parishioners nowadays, with our magic boxes.

[cont. reading...]

The pulp market was just ripe for take-over by anybody, but Hugo Gernsback had his own singular vision.

It's kinda weird they mention the covers, and don't mention that the artist was usually a woman?

And yep, it's looking like they've skipped ERB. Why the heck did they skip ERB?

Anyways, if they're gonna look at hardboiled noir stuffs, which suggests they're doing a general overview of the pulps in general rather than specifically the SF-ier bits, I wonder if they're gonna do The Shadow and Doc Savage at some point?

Last edited:
Eh? Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon were comic strips, not comic books.

That's a pretty big mistake.

I forgot to say this last time it was updated, but when EC showed Red Sonja in regards to Robert E. Howard, they showed her like this in her typical mailkini form

when in actuality, Red Sonja was a character in a piece of historical fiction in which the Ottomans besieged Vienna in 1592 and looked like this

Yeah, she was wearing full proper armour and was fighting off the Ottomans with Generic Knight Man, our main protagonist.

Shame that EC didn't mention how different the original Robert Howard interpretation was in comparison to her current popular design. You can read the piece, Shadow of the Vulture for free here.

I forgot to say this last time it was updated, but when EC showed Red Sonja in regards to Robert E. Howard, they showed her like this in her typical mailkini form

when in actuality, Red Sonja was a character in a piece of historical fiction in which the Ottomans besieged Vienna in 1592 and looked like this

Yeah, she was wearing full proper armour and was fighting off the Ottomans with Generic Knight Man, our main protagonist.

Shame that EC didn't mention how different the original Robert Howard interpretation was in comparison to her current popular design. You can read the piece, Shadow of the Vulture for free here.
Also her name was Red Sonya, with a "y"; in fact, I believe there were sufficient differences that they are legally separate characters.

Also, I should note that Sonja wasn't wearing the mailkini in her initial appearances in Conan's comic, but instead dressed like this:

Like, super short skirt (pants?) aside and tight mail shirt showing off her breasts, I really like her design here! It's pretty good in all honest.

Dang that guy was really confident saying that to the FBI.

EDIT: oh, and I feel that we will probably be getting a Michael Moorcock episode at some point.

Last edited:
Extra Credits somes has gold in the comments sections

John Campbell is like the Sci Fi Trinity: The Campbell is the Inventor, and the Savior, and the Destroyer. But the Inventor is neither the Savior nor the Destroyer. The Savior is neither the Inventor nor the Destroyer. And the Destroyer is neither the Inventor nor the Savior. But all of them are the Campbell.

So, I guess we aren't getting an episode about Ray Palmer, and thus won't see them delving into the insanity that surrounds the Shaver Mystery.

Last edited:
Back