Exploding Canon (Worm SI)

Later on, rather than Good/Evil, Taylor leans on Selfish/Selfless, so that when she does something awful it's a terrible sacrifice and she's really selfless for doing it, but when someone else does something awful to her it's monstrously short-sighted and self-centered.

There's a difference between "I am doing this bad thing for good reasons" and "I am rationalizing that I am doing this bad thing for good reasons". If the thing 1) doesn't conveniently benefit you personally (or let you get away with laziness, carelessness, etc.) and 2) actually works (or at least clearly has a high chance of working), it probably isn't a rationalization.

It isn't true 100% of the time (Taylor "infiltrating" the Undersiders was obviously because she wanted friends, although I take the Doylist perspective that it was just a plot device), but in general, when Taylor does something awful, it falls into the first category, and when Armsmaster, Cauldron, etc. do it falls into the second category.

Last edited:
Somewhat later, but before the timeskip and while she's still with her family, Dinah makes clear that she is charging for the use of her powers, despite being as underage as Amy is here.
Well, Dinah can say "oh hey the world is less likely to end if I sell my power". (and if the opposite is true I doubt she would be doing it). Ergo she has the moral high ground forever and you're a bad person for trying to interfere and she can ignore you okay.

Whereas Amy is racked with pressure & badthought from her loony-toons family - ignoring Carol specifically, New Wave is clearly not about letting their children make their own choices about what is right and good. They are unmasked immediately, they are all in New Wave, and it beggars belief nobody has tried to give Amy some money. So either she has a bunch of money, or her family has guilted her into refusing it, because I don't believe she would hardline refuse compensation purely of her own volition long term. Grateful people can be very insistent.

Not that Amy isn't fucked up too but she wasn't born that way, after all.

(Hey, is there anything in canon to suggest Amy doesn't have a account full of donations somewhere, that she just didn't mention?)

Last edited:
Somewhat later, but before the timeskip and while she's still with her family, Dinah makes clear that she is charging for the use of her powers, despite being as underage as Amy is here. Substantially younger, actually
Hey, man. I can only work with what I'm given. Except when I don't, because boy is headcanon convenient here. More seriously; yes, that's true. I don't know how to reconcile that. I have a few ideas, but they're all stretches a mile wide and they'd have even less textual basis than the rest of the patchwork quilt of explanations I'm about to attempt, so consider me :???: so far as Dinah's oracular career is concerned.
Too much stuff to quote
Many thanks for raising the arguments I was unwilling to make (and then some) much more articulately than I probably could have.
It is rather less forgiveable that those around her never raised this. As far as we can tell, no-one at New Wave ever makes a peep about a 17 year-old girl pulling down a more-than-full-time job while having basically no social life or friends or anyone to talk to.
How much time Panacea actually spends healing is a big recurring bug-bear in the fandom, one I've seen a lot of ludicrously bitter arguments over. How her healing is handled, how valuable she's considered to be, how much anybody else knows about her powers, why no doctors or other coworkers tried to function as a support network, etc. really isn't adequately explored at all... which is perhaps somewhat understandable considering her role as a side character, though still rather inconvenient and a rather large missed opportunity.

You may have textual evidence/hospital knowledge that contradicts it which I don't know about, but personally, the interpretation I've found most convincing and parsimonious is that she simply doesn't actually spend very much time healing. She tells Gallant:
Amy said:
"But at the same time… I can't cure everyone. Even if I go to the hospital every night for two or three hours at a time, there are thousands of other hospitals I can't visit, tens of millions of people who are terminally ill or living in a personal hell where they're paralyzed or in constant pain. These people don't deserve to face that, but I can't help them all. I can't help one percent of them if I put in twenty hours a day."
Where a nightly 2-3 hours (as in 21 hours a week, max) is framed as a high end that she may not even currently be doing ("Even if," not "even though"). If she's only irregularly showing up to volunteer at hospitals something like 10, 12 hours a week, and often even then on late-night sleepless shifts, then a lot of the issues you raised start making more sense. New Wave doesn't realize the full extent of the problem because (beyond their own dysfunctions and the perfectly normal blindness and subterfuge that can surround this sort of thing) she's not obviously overworking herself. Brockton Bay isn't a hub of medical tourism because she doesn't volunteer reliably or often enough to make the trip worth it.* No doctors recognize her symptoms and try to help her because she's never there long enough for any of them to make a connection. The PRT doesn't arrange a therapist for her because - well, assuming you're talking about post S9 breakdown after the full extent of her powers became basically impossible to miss, the ''''''WoG explanation'''''' that didn't make it into the text because of course it didn't is that they tried, she just shut them down with threats to go plague-nuts if they didn't lock her up yesterday.

*(Also, there are other healers in Worm, which could help justify her as not being as significant as she may appear, but how common they are and how that should have shaped the worldbuilding is its own whole kettle of fish).
(if all she does is heal people, how the hell did Bonesaw just randomly know that she had ridiculously comprehensive biological manipulation capabilities?)
Amy tells Gallant that she got international attention (brief, presumably) as "The girl who could cure cancer with a touch, make someone ten years younger, regrow lost limbs." It's not that much of a reach to look at her known feats and work out that if she can reliably do all that, she ought to theoretically be capable of much, much more.

Of course, that comes with its own set of problems, because if we assume that Amy was open enough about how her powers worked that that extrapolation on Bonesaw's part was reasonable, then basically everything about how she's treated by everybody else falls apart, because there's no indication whatsoever that anybody is remotely aware of or treats her as a teenage S-class on par with Nilbog or Bonesaw - who is seemingly the first person to ever realize the potential. (She also tells her "You're the only other person who works with meat," which is just nine different kinds of wtf and rather strains the idea that she's actually well-informed about capes in general... Unless their sorts of powers actually are basically unique in spite of the millions and millions of capes, because the Entities don't like powers that let hosts manipulate brains for obvious reasons, but then there's Lab Rat and Cranial and urrrgh).

I mean, Blasto has a pre-signed kill order just for the possibility of him making something self-replicating, and not only can Amy do that with goddamn super plagues literally whenever she likes, her brain-editing abilities make her a high to possibly top-tier Master on top of everything else. And yet even in a world with Master/Stranger protocols and the likes of Heartbreaker running around, nobody seems to care about or even realize the possibility until she actually does it. That the PRT would treat her so casually and let her use her power on their personnel on a volunteer basis - or even request her, like they did with Lung and Armsmaster - is completely baffling if they had any conception of what they were actually dealing with. 'Security risk' doesn't even begin to describe it. The only way I've been able to reconcile it thus far is by assuming that A. Victoria is the only one who knows she can do brains, at least until Mark gets hurt, and that B. Amy (understandably) actively lied about and hid the full extent of her powers to basically everybody but her, even under direct PRT scrutiny. Which doubtless has its own holes and inconsistencies with canon, but c'est la Worm vie.
She was bitchy and vindictive, but engaged in no material retaliation
I always interpreted the scene where she healed Taylor:

Amy healing Taylor said:
Relief overwhelmed me as sensations began returning to my legs. They were quick, like being shocked, but they ranged from hot to cold to the unfamiliar, running from my abdomen to the tips of my toes, tracing every internal area of my legs.

"Ow," I muttered, as one line of pain drew itself from my hip to my ankle.

"I've got to test your nerves as I re-establish the connections, but I'm too tired to do it all with my power, and I can't dope you up with endorphins because Armsmaster, Miss Militia and Legend will be coming to talk to you in a bit, and I've been told you need your head one hundred percent clear for that. So some of this is going to hurt."

"Wait, what? Why do I need my head clear to talk to them? Why are they talking to me?"

"Mmm. I can feel your emotions in your body, hormones and altered chemical balances. You're scared."

"Damn right, I'm scared – ouch. Fuck, that stung." My leg jerked.

"It's going to happen any time my concentration slips. Best to stay quiet."

"No, seriously. Why are they talking to me? Is that why I'm in handcuffs? To keep me here until they, what, arrest me?"

"No comment," she smiled a little.

"Hey, no. You can't call yourself a decent person and then leave me here agonizing over details."

"I can. I don't know what they want to talk to you about, though I have… strong suspicions," her eye drifted to my manacle. "But I have been informed that you are to be lucid and fully mobile."

"Why?" I had a growing suspicion as to why, helped by her glance to my restraints. If they were arresting me, they couldn't have me agree to any deals or plea bargains while I was drugged up, or it would be thrown out of court. I was pretty sure. One semester of a law class didn't exactly leave me an expert.

"According to the woman from the PRT that I talked to, it will work best if all of you are kept in the dark for as long as possible."

"All of us?" It wasn't just me.

"A slip of the tongue." She smiled slightly, as if enjoying stringing me along.

"Do these others include Tattletale?" I asked, "Did you heal her?"

She quirked an eyebrow. "No. I can tell you I didn't."

"You didn't. Because she didn't need your help, or because she was already dead? Ow!"

My leg jerked again, a muscle in my thigh clenching hard, not unlike a charlie horse. It subsided.

"I think we're done here."

"Hey!" I raised my voice again, "Give me an answer! Stop fucking with me!"

As Amy at the very least going out of her way to fix Taylor in a way that would involve completely unnecessary amounts of pain, largely because of the convenient timings of some of the shocks and that I don't believe for a second she's "too tired" to do it any other way, given how stupidly versatile her power is and how exhaustion doesn't seem to impact her ability to use it fully at any other point except with maybe Victoria. But to be fair, it's not explicit, and YMMV.
It's not as though they don't understand the concept of burnout or mental illness; they seem largely at peace with her extremely depressed father's needs.
I'm not so sure about that. Relevant quotes:

Wards Interlude said:
"My sister's all I've got. The only person with no expectations, who knows me as a person. Carol never really wanted me. Mark is clinically depressed, so as nice as he is, he's too focused on himself to really be a dad. My aunt and uncle are sweet, but they've got their own problems. So it's just me and Victoria."
11.h said:
Mark had tried to be a dad. He'd made her pancakes on the weekends, taken her places. But it had always been inconsistent. Some days he seemed to forget, others he got upset, or was just too distracted for the trips to the ice cream store or mall. Another secret that the family hadn't kept – Mark was clinically depressed. He had been prescribed drugs to help him, but he didn't always take them.

It had always been Victoria, only Victoria, who made her feel like she had a family here. Victoria was mad at her now. Except mad wasn't the right word. Victoria was appalled, seething with anger, brimming with resentment, because Amy couldn't, wouldn't, heal their father.

These don't read to me as 'at peace with his needs' so much as 'painfully aware of his failings.' And what we see of the far worse family situation surrounding his pseudo-coma was not what I'd call peaceful. All in all, the idea that the Dallons are generally too dysfunctional and wrapped up in their own problems to properly deal with Amy's has never stuck me as implausible.
(Hey, is there anything in canon to suggest Amy doesn't have a account full of donations somewhere, that she just didn't mention?)
Assuming that double negative was unintentional, no, there isn't.

Last edited:
*(Also, there are other healers in Worm, which could help justify her as not being as significant as she may appear, but how common they are and how that should have shaped the worldbuilding is its own whole kettle of fish).
This is kind of a continuing problem in Worm, overall. We are constantly given, both in canon or in WoG's, statements about things that have happened in the world or with character's that really should have had a much larger impact than exhibited, all in the name of both having it be "just like today" and "superhero ghetto".

The only way I've been able to reconcile it thus far is by assuming that A. Victoria is the only one who knows she can do brains, at least until Mark gets hurt and that B. Amy (understandably) actively lied about and hid the full extent of her powers to basically everybody but her, even under direct PRT scrutiny. Which doubtless has its own holes and inconsistencies with canon, but c'est la Worm vie.

Amy consistently says ' I can't do brains', leading to a scene where Victoria is shocked because 'if you could fix dad, why didn't you sooner'.

So, no one knows she can do brains.

Bonesaw looked down at Amy. "Your inability to affect brains? It's one of those protections. A mental block. I can help you break it."

Bonesaw says it's a mental block, even.

"I was just at the house. I don't even know what to say," Victoria spoke.
"Pretty self-explanatory. One of the Nine came, house got trashed, I healed Mark."
"Why? Why heal dad now, when you couldn't before?"
"I only did it because I had to."
"That's what I don't get. Why couldn't you? You've never explained."
"I can't tell you."
"So that's it? No explanations? You just up and leave?" Victoria asked.
"Yeah."
"Why?"
Amy looked away.​
"We could get you a therapist. I mean, Mom was setting aside money for Dad's care, we could use that to give you someone to talk to."
"I… a therapist wouldn't be able to help."
"Geez, what's going on? Amy, we've been together for a decade. I've stood by you. I'd like to think we were best friends, not just sisters. And you can't tell me?"
"I can't. Just let me leave. Trust me when I say it's better."
"Fuck that! I'm not about to let you walk away!" Victoria floated closer, reaching out.
"Don't touch me," Amy warned her sister.

There's the quote I was looking for!

... also, apparently Carol and/or Victoria think they can't afford a therapist?

... Are these people popular capes and also stuff like highpowered lawyers or are they barely scraping by, Wildbow? Jeez.

This exchange has always interested me, because it strikes me as one of the very rare occasions of something approaching genuine self-awareness on her part. She's not unaware that her moral compass is faulty (even if she feels compelled to view it through the whole irrational father complex), and that seems to be genuinely distressing her, which is really neat to me. She knows that she should be a good person who genuinely enjoys doing good for doing goodness' sake, in the same way that she knows she should be healing, but while she can make herself go out and heal people, she can't force herself to be the sort of person who can do so gladly - no matter how much she wishes she were. I've felt that sort of desire before myself, in other contexts.

To me that exchange feels like a logical extension of the duty complex -she feels bad about not being the kind of person she 'should' be, more than anything else.

It doesn't really look like self-awareness to me.

Where it's implied she hasn't done anything with it because of her age and the legalities involved, which does go a pretty long way, honestly, as explanations go. But even setting her ability to make things or work in a formal capacity aside, the comprehension aspect of her power alone means that she should be able to sit down with a neurologist for an hour and give him enough dirt to completely revolutionize multiple fields of medicine. Or, if that's too close to something like actual work, just start a blog, and let anybody who with actual credentials who wants to follow up on her tips do so. There's a certain extent to which you can handwave that too, arguing that her comprehension is innate and that she lacks the vocabulary to readily explain things to people, but not only is that not really borne out by the text, it's an obstacle that could be easily overcome with time and training if she just hit the textbooks... which she never gives any indication of doing either. It's enough to make me suspect that Wildbow either didn't fully consider the all the batshit implications of her power or just didn't really want to bother dealing with them.

Yeah, Amy breaks down completely if you try to think out the proper implications of her power.

If the story had just said "she doesn't know what's happening except in broad strokes, and she only provides direction to her power while it handles the details" she'd basically hold up... but it insists on having her having detailed, precise, superinformation. And oh god is that a bad idea if Wildbow wants the setting to not be undergoing a medical revolution.

I have an unfinished SI story, where the SI solved the ostensible problem, but the day isn't saved yet, because his team still needs to get out. He's keenly aware of how much risk they're in, how much responsibility.

Aaand I can't get into the headspace of me from 11-years ago to finish it. I know what was supposed to happen, but I'm not sure I can match tone.

Yyyyeah. I think that's one of the bigger reasons a lot of SIs fall apart. You change faster than your SI changes.

I'm basically leaning, for Exploding Canon, more on the experiences Bakuda has had since arrival to help guidepost my characterization, since yeah I'm having a hard time remembering the exact mentality I had when I first started writing.

Well that's encouraging, I suppose. I dunno, maybe I'll go back to Worm sometime.

Those are, unfortunately, out of context quotes. Taylor kills a baby as a mercy killing, and yeah it's in front of the baby's brother, but everyone is in broad agreement that the necessity of it is the Nine's fault.

If you don't feel Taylor is a villain by arc 21, you probably never will.

(I felt she worked as a villain starting shortly after Leviathan and really wish we'd seen more of the territory stuff, regardless of the fact that it was driven by guilt over Dinah, but I can totally understand why someone would feel otherwise)

*reads the OP alerts.

Of all the Author teasing I've had to deal with, this is the most aggravating. I mean seriously. after multiple 1K+ posts you expect one of em to be an update right? It's like I'm 5 again, my parents waking me up at 6:30 on a weekend telling me we're going to disneyland. And then we go on a 3 hour car ride and then we come to this fucking donut place and they go like "Oh, you thought we was going today? no i meant 6 months from now."

Gonna be doing an update after this post. A short one, unfortunately, but it's happening.

Sooooo how can't Bakuda hear the Simurgh then If she doesn't have the helmet?

There's hints as to why in the text.

Skitter, on the other hand, relies entirely on the primacy of shades of grey to justify her actions, even when they clearly don't. That whole "shades of grey" chat she has in the post-Leviathan medical tent is sort of undermined by the fact that she's not actually been engaging in shades of grey, she's just been a stupid teenager who did some dumb and horrible shit to no good outcome.

I don't really want this to turn into a giant argument, so I'm just going to leave it at: I disagree with about 99% of everything you say about Taylor.

I honestly have no idea where you pull these ideas from, beyond stereotyping Taylor on the basis of her being a teenager.

That said? I do think your interpretation is probably dead-on for how the PRT interprets her, in-universe.

Panacea's undoing is a complete and total lack of any real support network; but it's a lack I have trouble believing, because she's presented as insanely valuable.

If they can give fucking Sveta a therapist, you'd think they'd book in Amy Dallon, faith healer to the stars.

Yeah, definitely agree with that.

Bonesaw showing up at Amy's house is, iirc, the first she hears of the Slaughterhouse Nine being in town. It's part of the whole raft of recruitment interludes that follow the whole "take control of Shadow Stalker, infiltrate the PRT, and apparently drive her to suicide" plan. She doesn't have an opportunity to display a passive or active mindset up until that point.

Bonesaw shows up. Amy cries and begs her to leave her and her family alone. Bonesaw coerces her into actually defending herself. Amy then tries to disengage the situation so she doesn't have to do anything more.

She absolutely has a passive mindset. She starts from, essentially, an assumption that she's helpless and Bonesaw has all the power, even while Bonesaw is actively pushing for her to defend herself. This is extremely evident at every step of the entire scene, and the fact that she didn't know the Nine were there prior to the scene isn't at all relevant.

Armsmaster, by contrast, is trying to interrogate Mannequin, not to mention when he leaves it's apparently with intent to go tinker and come back later. (Ultimately as Defiant) He starts from the assumption that -even completely unarmed, seriously injured, etc- he can try to do something. (If anything, his mistake is having too much confidence in his badassery)

She only cripples Taylor's capabilities insofar as she refuses to give her a long-term weapon for a short-term problem. She massively expands her arsenal, but refuses to make that arsenal a sustainable one. This is an intelligent decision. The only way it can backfire is if the Slaughterhouse Nine stick around for weeks to follow, in which case they're facing an unprecedented disaster and are probably all dead anyway.

I understand where you're coming from but it has the issue that my point is that Amy is putting more time and mental effort into sabotaging Taylor than she is into fighting the goddamn Nine.

This takes a reasonable-sounding decision and makes it petty, spiteful, asshole idiocy.

If she were throwing her full weight behind Taylor for fighting the Nine -and incidentally happening to find the time to cripple the long-term utility of the tools she's giving Taylor- then I would agree with you that this is an intelligent and reasonable decision, and thought I would identify with Taylor's frustration, I wouldn't be mad at Amy, myself.

That's not what she's doing. At all.

Taylor's actual behaviour, judged independently from the villain label, has been awful.

Amy in no way does anything to suggest she knows or cares about Taylor's actual behavior past the bank scene, and repeatedly and explicitly fixates on the fact that Taylor is "a Villain". You are defending her behavior on a basis unrelated to her actual behavior.

I can't help but be somewhat puzzled by this, since Panacea's "retaliation" consists of refusing to tell Taylor whether or not Tattletale is dead; which has no impact on her decision to bug out and go rushing through the medical tent.

I have no idea what kind of reading you're taking from that scene that you think Amy's behavior is reasonable there, but it's very clear to me that she is deliberately and intentionally psychologically torturing Taylor, hanging Ominous Future consequences hung over her to terrify her. She even directly conflates this with what Tattletale did to her, and makes it explicitly clear that she's punishing Taylor for Tattletale having done much the same to her -which is particularly ominous when you consider that Tattletale's actions led into Glory Girl being hurt. It's not a giant leap for Taylor to be fearing she'll end up with equivalent harm done to her. She was already scared and confused because nobody was explaining anything to her, but it's Amy who paints things such that Taylor has specific reason to believe bad things are going to happen to her.

If she was doing this to Tattletale, I would be wincing at how it's a bad idea but I'd understand where Amy is coming from. Eye for an eye and all. But she's doing it to Taylor, who was only relevant by virtue of

A: being on the same team as Tattletale

and B: her bugs ending up taking advantage of the gunshot

and quite frankly if Amy feels justified in holding someone responsible for their teammate's entirely autonomous behavior, her belief system -in a non-hypocritical context- would involve her accepting blame for Victoria's own tendency to cause too much harm. (Which she actually has far more responsibility for than Taylor has for Tattletale's behavior!)

Amy is being completely horrible to exactly the wrong person in a wholly hypocritical manner in circumstances that contradict the Hippocratic oath. Deliberately, consciously, planned, taking glee in it.

I roll my eyes at Amy wondering whether she's "doomed" to "become her father" later on because: yeah Amy, you're already a heinous person. No 'becoming' about it.

I think these are all symptoms of a bigger problem: The worldbuilding in Worm just isn't very good. Wildbow says that juveniles can or can't charge depending on whether he needs to have a juvenile charge or not charge. He has Bonesaw know enough to figure out what Dinah can do, and the PRT not know, because those are the things he wanted to happen, never mind that they aren't consistent with each other. The series is full of minor inconsistencies like that; it's just that fans tend to assume they are unreliable narrator rather than the author making mistakes (like when Taylor attributes the tech boom to tinkers).

It's also why I don't pay much attention to characters psychoanalyzing each other in Worm. There's no guarantee that the analysis actually informs how the character was written in the rest of the story.

Last edited:
There's the quote I was looking for!

... also, apparently Carol and/or Victoria think they can't afford a therapist?

... Are these people popular capes and also stuff like highpowered lawyers or are they barely scraping by, Wildbow? Jeez.
Don't you know this is Worm, where therapy is a magical science only studied by those who prove their worth by walking the Path of Light?

(I felt she worked as a villain starting shortly after Leviathan and really wish we'd seen more of the territory stuff, regardless of the fact that it was driven by guilt over Dinah, but I can totally understand why someone would feel otherwise)
Indeed, her terrible villain plots of ensuring decent distribution of resources, saving girls from Merchant rape parties, and opening orphanages. What an awful person she is.

8.6 said:
"You're so creepy, you know that?" the voice was familiar, but I couldn't place it.
"I've heard worse," I replied, opening my eyes. Panacea was entering my curtained enclosure, shutting the curtain behind her. There was a PRT uniform with her.
"I'm sure you have," she frowned. Her hood and scarf were down, so I could see her face, much as I had during the bank robbery. She had dark circles under her eyes that looked painted on. She spoke, sighing the words, "I need your permission to touch you."
"What?"
"Liability reasons. Someone overheard you say you've got a broken back. There could be other complications, and that takes people, time, equipment and money that the people in charge of this hospital are reluctant to spare at a time like this. You could refuse to let me touch you, make the hospital give you the X-rays and MRI, get months or years of treatment paid for by the Preservation Act, all under oppressive confidentiality agreements that could cost the hospital millions. It's an option, but the treatment wouldn't be as fast, good or effective as it would if I used my power. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of being stubborn."
"Um."
"Just agree, so I can move on to other patients."
"What was it you said during the bank robbery? You'd make me horribly obese? Make everything I eat taste like bile? What's to stop you from doing something like that here?"
"Nothing, really. I mean, you could sue me after I did it, but you'd have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, and that'd be damn hard if I gave the symptoms a time delay before they showed up. Plus I'm a valuable enough resource that I could get help paying the legal costs. And, let's not forget, Carol, my adoptive mother, is a pretty kickass lawyer. Whatever you did by trying to sue me probably wouldn't cripple me as much as what my power did to you."
"That's not reassuring."
"It's not meant to be reassuring. I suppose maybe you'll just have to either trust in the fact that I'm a decent person or refuse my help," she shrugged, glaring at me, "There's a kind of poetry to this. Like, a thief fears being stolen from the most, a scumbag… well, you get the drift. The more horrible a human being you are, the more you'll agonize over what I might have done to you, with a time delay of minutes, hours, days, years. Yet if you're a decent person, you'll be more inclined to think better of me."
"Are you?"
"What?"
"Are you a decent person, Amy?"
She gave me an offended look.
"I envy you, that it's so easy for you to think of things in terms of black and white. I'd like to think I'm a good person, believe it or not. Everything I've done, I did because I thought it was right at the time. In hindsight, some of the ends didn't justify the means, and sometimes there were unforseen consequences." Like Dinah. "But I don't think of myself as a bad person."
"Then you're either ignorant, deluded or you have a very twisted perspective."
"Maybe."
She went on, "Don't really care which it is. If you're going to call yourself a good person," she paused, shook her head a little, "Then don't waste my time. Give me an answer, one way or another, so I can get on with helping people."
It wasn't really a choice. A long, hard road to recovery, possibly with no recovery at all, fraught with any potential health complications that the universe decided to hand my way, or healing for a broken back, with the potential health complications that Panacea decided to give me?
I mean, whatever she deigned to inflict on me would be calculated to make me miserable, if she went that far, but at least then I'd have someone to hate.
"Please," I spoke, "Use your power."
She nodded at the PRT uniform, who left the enclosure. Then she approached the side of the bed.
"I'm going to have to move some of your mask aside, to touch your skin."
"Permission granted," I spoke, "Though I've been wondering since the bank robbery – why didn't you reach up and touch my scalp?"
"No comment."
Ah. Something about hair, maybe? A weakness in her power. Maybe it was mucked up or confused by 'dead' tissue?
She fumbled with my mask for a second.
"Lower," I informed her, "The mask and body part of the costume overlap just above the collarbone."
She found it, separated the two, and touched a fingertip to my throat, like she was taking my pulse.
The pain left in an instant. My breathing became easier, and I felt a steady pressure deep in my broken arm.
"You have a brain injury that's not fully healed."
"Bakuda's fault."
"Hm. Outside the scope of my abilities."
Ominous, but I wasn't ready to put too much stake in what she told me, and what she might be leaving out.
"Okay," my voice was stronger, without the crippling pressure in my chest and back.
"Microfracture in your shoulder, nerve damage to your left hand, reduced fine dexterity."
"Really? I hadn't noticed."
"It's there. I'm not going to bother with that, either."
"Wasn't expecting you to." Couldn't let her ruffle me.
"Broken arm, broken spine, fractured ribs, small perforations in colon, kidney and liver, some internal bleeding. This will take a minute."
I nodded. It was more severe than I'd thought. That unsettled me some.
A part of me wanted to apologize for what had happened at the bank robbery, but the tone of our earlier conversation made it feel like I'd be trying to dissuade her from doing something malicious with her power.
Relief overwhelmed me as sensations began returning to my legs. They were quick, like being shocked, but they ranged from hot to cold to the unfamiliar, running from my abdomen to the tips of my toes, tracing every internal area of my legs.
"Ow," I muttered, as one line of pain drew itself from my hip to my ankle.
"I've got to test your nerves as I re-establish the connections, but I'm too tired to do it all with my power, and I can't dope you up with endorphins because Armsmaster, Miss Militia and Legend will be coming to talk to you in a bit, and I've been told you need your head one hundred percent clear for that. So some of this is going to hurt."
"Wait, what? Why do I need my head clear to talk to them? Why are they talking to me?"
"Mmm. I can feel your emotions in your body, hormones and altered chemical balances. You're scared."
"Damn right, I'm scared – ouch. Fuck, that stung." My leg jerked.
"It's going to happen any time my concentration slips. Best to stay quiet."
"No, seriously. Why are they talking to me? Is that why I'm in handcuffs? To keep me here until they, what, arrest me?"
"No comment," she smiled a little.
"Hey, no. You can't call yourself a decent person and then leave me here agonizing over details."
"I can. I don't know what they want to talk to you about, though I have… strong suspicions," her eye drifted to my manacle. "But I have been informed that you are to be lucid and fully mobile."
"Why?" I had a growing suspicion as to why, helped by her glance to my restraints. If they were arresting me, they couldn't have me agree to any deals or plea bargains while I was drugged up, or it would be thrown out of court. I was pretty sure. One semester of a law class didn't exactly leave me an expert.
"According to the woman from the PRT that I talked to, it will work best if all of you are kept in the dark for as long as possible."
"All of us?" It wasn't just me.
"A slip of the tongue." She smiled slightly, as if enjoying stringing me along.
"Do these others include Tattletale?" I asked, "Did you heal her?"
She quirked an eyebrow. "No. I can tell you I didn't."
"You didn't. Because she didn't need your help, or because she was already dead? Ow!"
My leg jerked again, a muscle in my thigh clenching hard, not unlike a charlie horse. It subsided.
"I think we're done here."
"Hey!" I raised my voice again, "Give me an answer! Stop fucking with me!"
She lifted her finger from my throat, and many of my smaller bruises and scrapes began making themselves felt once more. I could breathe without a problem. I wiggled my toes experimentally, felt them move against the soles of my costume. I moved my left arm, felt no pain. Tugged on the chain with it and felt everything working as it should, no pain.
She leaned close, so her mouth was by my ear, "Not so fun, is it? Let me tell you, this isn't a hundredth of the mind-fuckery that your teammate was pulling on me, back then."
"That wasn't-" I stopped.
"What? Wasn't you? You stood by and watched it happen, played along, took advantage of it. Or maybe you were going to say it wasn't that bad? You really don't know. You don't know me, you don't know Glory Girl, you don't know what Tattletale was saying, how she was threatening to ruin my life. Imagine the person you care about most, finding our your darkest secrets. Secrets that, even if they eventually came to accept it, you know they would taint and color every single conversation you have with them afterward."
I couldn't help but picture it. My dad finding out I was a villain, what I'd done. Forevermore having doubts about me.
"I'm sorry," I spoke, my voice low.
"Maybe you are. I doubt it. I'm sorry to leave you wondering what happened to your teammate, what the big name capes are going to say to you, but I have others to help."
She didn't sound sorry at all.
"Hey!" I raised my voice again, "Come back here!"
She turned her head to give me a dark look as she walked away, "Good luck with Armsmaster."

Panacea psychologically torturing Taylor, explicitly. I don't see how this scene can be taken otherwise.

Seriously, smiling after noting Taylor is scared, responding to 'stop fucking with me' not with something like 'wasn't my intent' but rather 'not so fun' which is an admission she's fucking with her, implicit... This is intentional cruelty, not simple 'following orders'. I agree with @Ghoul King on this count.

Amy consistently says ' I can't do brains', leading to a scene where Victoria is shocked because 'if you could fix dad, why didn't you sooner'.

So, no one knows she can do brains.
I wish that were the case, but nope. Victoria didn't just know before canon even started, she was an advocate for it.
Victoria's Interlude said:
"Mentally? Emotionally? It's up to her to deal with the aftermath of a beating. I can't affect the brain."

"Well-" Victoria started to speak.

"Yeah, yeah. Not can't. Won't. It's complicated and I don't trust myself not to screw something up when I'm tampering with someone's head. That's it, that's all."

Victoria started to say something, then shut her mouth. Even if they weren't related by blood, they were sisters. Only sisters could have these sorts of recurring arguments. They had gone through a dozen different variations on this argument before. As far as she was concerned, Amy was doing herself a disservice by not practicing using her powers on the brain. It was only a matter of time before her sister found herself in a situation where she needed to do some emergency brain surgery and found herself incapable. Amy, for her part, refused to even discuss it.
If she was doing this to Tattletale, I would be wincing at how it's a bad idea but I'd understand where Amy is coming from. Eye for an eye and all. But she's doing it to Taylor, who was only relevant by virtue of

Also C: Literally holding her in place with a knife to her throat so that she has no choice to stand there and listen to what Tattletale's saying, in addition to being one of the people who took her and the whole bank hostage by threat of lethal injection in the first place?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I also really have no desire get into a big dumb argument, but I really don't think this case that Amy was being unjustly/irrationally angry at Taylor for Lisa's actions makes much sense at all. Taylor was actively aiding and abetting Tattletale, and absolutely 100% complicit in what she was doing - Amy has every reason to be furious with her for that. If you get robbed by two people (setting aside that robbery would probably have been less traumatic to Amy), and the extent of one of those person's involvement is that they held you up at gunpoint, the distinction that they technically weren't the one who reached into your pocket and took all your money is entirely academic.
To me that exchange feels like a logical extension of the duty complex -she feels bad about not being the kind of person she 'should' be, more than anything else.

It doesn't really look like self-awareness to me.
...being aware that she isn't the sort of person she 'should' be is self-awareness in of itself, was kind of the foundation of my point? And that it being at least partially an extension of the duty complex wouldn't really contradict it being self-awareness in any way? Don't get me wrong, I think the idea that Amy's in many ways fundamentally motivated by duty is a great one, but I feel like you have a tendency to be overly reductionist with these sorts of interpretations. It's a very versatile lens with a lot of explanatory power, but not everything needs be filtered through it.

4.#
4.#

Number Man

Sigh.

Ruining Cauldron's plans seemed to be what the Endbringers lived for, of course, but the Simurgh in particular... sometimes Number Man found himself anthropomorphizing it, imagining that it was being intentionally spiteful. It was pointless, really, but he'd drawn dozens of images of the Endbringer flipping off the Cauldron symbol, as it did, in fact, make him calmer. Necessary to have clear thought.

First, most promising parahuman feudalism experiment wrecked before it had time to go anywhere. Of course.

Lung -who had once fought Leviathan solo and lived- now permanently demented by the Simurgh. They'd already shifted him to an empty dimension with a Path-timed Door, and Contessa was currently running modeling on if it was feasible to try to get any use out of the man. Disappointing.

Alexandria MIA. She could be seen trapped in one of those 'flat' prisons, but Clairvoyant and Doormaker couldn't find her, and Contessa couldn't Path a way to get her out. They'd need to make arrangements on the Costa-Brown issue, before anyone became suspicious. Not a disaster -yet- but probably the worst part of this mess. The blow to morale, to confidence in the Protectorate, was tremendous. Not even accounting for how Alexandria, though fairly straightforward in powers, was one of the most powerful parahumans in the world. They needed Bet to hold on for a bit longer, and it was going to be a lot harder now.

They get a possible Scion killer... and the woman is a lunatic before the Simurgh got its clutches into her. Which it did. Because see previous -the Simurgh delighting in spiting Cauldron.

(The Number Man spent a minute on exercises to calm and control his thoughts. Don't anthropomorphize the alien superweapon. That way lay madness)

They were probably going to have to waste vast amounts of Contessa's time on micromanaging the process of making off with the woman's tinkertech without interacting with her or being compromised by the tinkertech itself. Doable, but hardly efficient, and it would negatively impact everything else about their operations.

And it was always possible it would turn out that was rather the point. Dandy.

There were bright spots in this gloom, but not many. The Meinhardt girl from Aleph had joined the Guild, with tinkertech that could shut off powers entirely along for the ride. If that could be reverse-engineered by Dragon -or anyone, really- that would much simplify the matter of containing those errant parahumans of useful potential. Perhaps they would be able to bring back the good Doctor Manton, get him focused on research instead of indulging himself with Jacob.

They would still be able to get a hold of Bakuda's weaponry. Not ideal circumstances, but better than nothing. Probably.

… and that was about it, really.

The Number Man pointedly did not sigh, or rub at the bridge of his nose, or otherwise indicate this bothered him. Something of a leftover of his time with Jacob and King, when showing emotions was dangerous, but one he'd never felt the need to unlearn. It was useful, when he interacted with clients, to be able to present the image of someone powerful and in control in every sense of the phrase.

Speaking of, he double-checked the camera feed for Meeting Room #5, where Doctor Mother was currently walking an impressionable -and flush with funding- twenty-something woman through her options. No problems. Not that this was really necessary, between Contessa and the Custodian, but it never hurt to be too careful.

Alright....

The Number Man returned to his work of managing the world's money for Cauldron's benefit.

Gesellschaft needed propping up. The Empire tended to think that Gesellschaft was the "senior" in their relationship, but truth be told Gesellschaft was very dependent on the Empire for money and troops, their ideology much less popular in Germany than in the USA. (Ironically? He'd never had a good grasp of the idea, no matter how fond of it Jacob had been) Gesellschaft provided legitimacy in turn, encouraging capes to flock to Kaiser, and Allfather before him, to then often move on to Gesellschaft when they grew dissatisfied with their American masters. While Kaiser had gotten away essentially scot-free, and Krieg as his contact with Gesellschaft was still about, the loss of Alabaster, Crusader, Hookwolf and Purity was a noticeable blow. Purity being tainted by the Simurgh and, in the end, put down by a PRT sniper when she tried to break containment had the knock-off effect that Night and Fog had already decided to return to Gesselschaft, and of course Medhall's decapitation forcing Max Anders to relocate to the Boston branch and drop his time spent "caping" while he handled the work attendant to such a massive change was having a depressive effect on recruiting already. The fact that his son had triggered hardly made up for the loss of so many heavy hitters.

So the Number Man took some funding from a Colombian drug lord who just did not understand "Do not mess with Cauldron" and performed some tricks to get the money to Gesellschaft without authorities having any reason to get suspicious.

Better to have someone for Germany's cape population to focus their ire on, rather than collapsing into omnidirectional chaos.

The Archer's Bridge Merchants were functionally gone, with only one of their parahuman members surviving/escaping... and 'Mush' was in a critical care PRT unit in Boston. Not that they'd ever mattered terribly much anyway, but something to keep in mind in his other calculations. The group had never kept much of its money in banks regardless, but there was still some it might be worth siphoning off elsewhere.

If the Number Man was someone who believed in things like 'justice' or 'appropriate outcomes' in some intrinsic sense, the fact that 'Uber' and... sigh... 'L337'... had survived utterly unscathed while filming their escape, dressed as video game characters... well. It was a good thing Number Man didn't believe in the things that would make this a blood-boiling outcome. (What even was "Tales of Symphonia", and why did it require Uber to wield two wooden swords while L337 used a cup-and-ball toy as a weapon?)

Coil's catspaw, the Undersiders, were handling themselves well enough in the aftermath, missing member aside. Not holding together as a group, it seemed, but they weren't particularly significant, certainly not with Coil dead.

New Wave... hm. Should he prop them up? With the deaths of "Shielder" and "Lady Photon", the group seemed likely to be significantly distraught. Difficult to say whether he should interfere or not, and a bit more of a nuisance than most to credibly get money to them without problematic questions. He settled for "not" for the moment. Better to see how they shook out in the coming week. They hadn't even settled on a city to live in, and he had suspicions the group was going to fracture. Yes, better to wait and see.

Faultline's people had made it out fine, which... was somewhat inconvenient, really. The group had already poked into Cauldron a few times, though as yet not so far it was worth... dissuading them. The fact that they'd essentially escaped the 'scream' was... a consolation, he supposed. Assuming this wasn't like Alan Gramme, which, as always, was entirely possible.

"Parian"... successfully escaped, currently in processing. Unimportant, as far as he knew.

"Trainwreck"... fate unknown. Hadn't escaped the city. Unfortunate. He had a small -very small- soft spot for this particular Case 53. Oh well.

Relatively few out of towner casualties... relatively.

Which just made him suspect a long game plan.

Then he turned to looking at the city, itself: the goods it had exported, the goods it had imported. Etc. It hadn't been a particularly important city for producing/exporting tinkertech, but parahuman goods were not the only thing that mattered. What impact would this have on America, and then the rest of Bet? Many things, but which ones needed attention...

Eventually the Number Man ran out of things -for the moment- to focus on regarding the immediate consequences of an Endbringer attack and dropped into the comfort of his routine.

And our story moves on.

8.7 said:
"Figured as much when the nurse didn't answer my questions," I muttered. No use dragging that nurse-in-training down with me. She'd been nice. "But Panacea did have words with me when she was putting me back together, and-"
"Panacea is a member of New Wave," Armsmaster spoke, and I got the impression the explanation or excuse was meant more for Legend than it was for me, "She's not official."

As a follow up, note that Armsmaster feels the need to explain or excuse Panacea's actions to Legend, which rather rules out the 'just following orders' explanation. I mean, maybe not 'rules out', but is certainly a serious blow, in it's own way.

Coil's catspaw, the Undersiders, were handling themselves well enough in the aftermath, missing member aside. Not holding together as a group, it seemed, but they weren't particularly significant, certainly not with Coil dead.
I'm a little confused if this means they're handling themselves on the inside or the outside of the wall?

...being aware that she isn't the sort of person she 'should' be is self-awareness in of itself, was kind of the foundation of my point? And that it being at least partially an extension of the duty complex wouldn't really contradict it being self-awareness in any way? Don't get me wrong, I think the idea that Amy's in many ways fundamentally motivated by duty is a great one, but I feel like you have a tendency to be overly reductionist with these sorts of interpretations. It's a very versatile lens with a lot of explanatory power, but not everything needs be filtered through it.

No, it's really not self-awareness. It's... I'm not sure how to describe it, but the dissonance of who she is/who she "should" be isn't any kind of coherent idea of what kind of person she is. It's... like, okay. You step on a thorn. It hurts. Your foot hurts. Pain signals. Pain signals is the extent of what is implied by this event.

What you're saying is sort of like assuming that "pain in foot" implies "awareness of the fact that I'm walking through a forest carpeted by such thorns and am barefoot and so I am constantly stepping on thorns."

She's got a painpoint. She doesn't have a larger idea of who she is. She just has these moments where she's very aware one behavior is "correct" and can quite clearly see her own behavior isn't that behavior and it pains her.

I really, really don't think she's particularly introspective or self-aware in any meaningful fashion prior to the Birdcage.

Also C: Literally holding her in place with a knife to her throat so that she has no choice to stand there and listen to what Tattletale's saying, in addition to being one of the people who took her and the whole bank hostage by threat of lethal injection in the first place?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I also really have no desire get into a big dumb argument, but I really don't think this case that Amy was being unjustly/irrationally angry at Taylor for Lisa's actions makes much sense at all. Taylor was actively aiding and abetting Tattletale, and absolutely 100% complicit in what she was doing - Amy has every reason to be furious with her for that. If you get robbed by two people (setting aside that robbery would probably have been less traumatic to Amy), and the extent of one of those person's involvement is that they held you up at gunpoint, the distinction that they technically weren't the one who reached into your pocket and took all your money is entirely academic.

The "robbed at gunpoint" comparison is misleading. Taylor and company planned to rob the bank. Panacea happened to be present. Taylor and Tattletale ended up faced with a disproportionately violent threat (Glory Girl) and Tattletale proceeded to do her plan while Taylor's contribution was nothing more than an extension of the original bank heist.

The robbed-at-gunpoint comparison would be more like: Taylor and Tattletale held a man at gunpoint, intending to rob him. Superman showed up, and said "I am going to enjoy reducing the both of you to a fine paste." (You know, as opposed to taking them in for their crime?) while Lois Lane happened to be in the vicinity. Taylor and Tattletale then took Lois Lane hostage and tried to use words -the only thing they have of use to defend themselves with against Superman- to make Superman not reduce them to a fine paste.

Certainly, if Lois Lane wants she can then pretend like the act of defending yourself from a godlike being is no longer morally valid because it interrupted your robbery attempt, but if she does she's a heinous monster. Like Amy.

And again: Amy knows Victoria routinely goes overboard. She knows that Tattletale and Taylor are in very serious danger.

And worst of all? I wouldn't mind if she was holding Taylor's actual actions of holding people hostage with black widows against her.

That would dodge most of my issues with Amy's behavior in the post-Leviathan scene. It's a completely reasonable position, since she doesn't know Taylor had no intention of following through and an argument can be made that this is grossly irresponsible of Taylor anyway. (What happens to the hostages if Taylor gets knocked out? Whoops, lethal bite time!) At that point she's only guilty of taking glee in psychological torture and violating the Hippocratic Oath in spirit if not letter, and I'm willing to give some leeway for her being under immense stress -everybody in Worm is under stress basically all the time, and it's a good chunk of why so many people are fairly awful. Fair enough.

But no, Amy has to pick the most hypocritical and nonsensical reason to justify her being grotesquely cruel to a teenager who has just been busily putting her life on the line against a goddamn Endbringer when her power is bug control.

You go Amy! You torture that girl for daring to be teammates with someone who wronged you in the process of defending themselves from potentially-lethal force!

I wish that were the case, but nope. Victoria didn't just know before canon even started, she was an advocate for it.

+quote

:facepalm:

Wildboooow.

Indeed, her terrible villain plots of ensuring decent distribution of resources, saving girls from Merchant rape parties, and opening orphanages. What an awful person she is.

Hey man, that's like... Unamerican is what it is! Evil I tells ya!

(But seriously she does engage in some fairly reprehensible behavior. Sometimes... not as often as you'd expect)

I'm a little confused if this means they're handling themselves on the inside or the outside of the wall?

Outside.

So, what was Amy's plan if interfering with Taylor's bug control resulted in every hostage getting repeatedly bitten?[/idle curiosity]

The Number Man returned to his work of managing the world's money for Cauldron's benefit.

Gesellschaft needed propping up. The Empire tended to think that Gesellschaft was the "senior" in their relationship, but truth be told Gesellschaft was very dependent on the Empire for money and troops, their ideology much less popular in Germany than in the USA. (Ironically? He'd never had a good grasp of the idea, no matter how fond of it Jacob had been) Gesellschaft provided legitimacy in turn, encouraging capes to flock to Kaiser, and Allfather before him, to then often move on to Gesellschaft when they grew dissatisfied with their American masters. While Kaiser had gotten away essentially scot-free, and Krieg as his contact with Gesellschaft was still about, the loss of Alabaster, Crusader, Hookwolf and Purity was a noticeable blow. Purity being tainted by the Simurgh and, in the end, put down by a PRT sniper when she tried to break containment had the knock-off effect that Night and Fog had already decided to return to Gesselschaft, and of course Medhall's decapitation forcing Max Anders to relocate to the Boston branch and drop his time spent "caping" while he handled the work attendant to such a massive change was having a depressive effect on recruiting already. The fact that his son had triggered hardly made up for the loss of so many heavy hitters.

So the Number Man took some funding from a Colombian drug lord who just did not understand "Do not mess with Cauldron" and performed some tricks to get the money to Gesellschaft without authorities having any reason to get suspicious.

Better to have someone for Germany's cape population to focus their ire on, rather than collapsing into omnidirectional chaos.
...man, you write the most unethical Cauldron I've seen in a fic, and that's saying something.

...man, you write the most unethical Cauldron I've seen in a fic, and that's saying something.
But they're also far more competent than the original! So, there's that!

Cool beans.

So, what was Amy's plan if interfering with Taylor's bug control resulted in every hostage getting repeatedly bitten?[/idle curiosity]

Watch them die, I suppose. When you consider that she had no way of knowing what the interference would do, nor where the spiders were, nor if her machinations would cause the spiders to become confused or uncontrolled- I mean... a black widow NOT under control would CERTAINLY start biting the shit out of everything that scares it...

Panacea psychologically torturing Taylor, explicitly. I don't see how this scene can be taken otherwise.

Seriously, smiling after noting Taylor is scared, responding to 'stop fucking with me' not with something like 'wasn't my intent' but rather 'not so fun' which is an admission she's fucking with her, implicit... This is intentional cruelty, not simple 'following orders'. I agree with @Ghoul King on this count.
I specifically noted she took vindictive pleasure in following her orders. I'm not trying to whitewash her attitude.

I just don't blame her for it. Taylor is a violent, creepy criminal who served as the herald for the worst period of her life so far, and she still agrees to heal her injuries, for no payment or reward, in advance of what she almost certainly assumes is a recruitment meeting for this bitch. I don't blame her for getting in some seemingly harmless kicks while she's down, considering her dad - an actual hero, as opposed to a terrorist - is at that moment lying in one of those beds with his brains leaking out onto a pillow. Hell, the first thing Taylor does in that scene is question her trustworthiness, which is fairly rich.

I don't really want this to turn into a giant argument, so I'm just going to leave it at: I disagree with about 99% of everything you say about Taylor.

I honestly have no idea where you pull these ideas from, beyond stereotyping Taylor on the basis of her being a teenager.

That said? I do think your interpretation is probably dead-on for how the PRT interprets her, in-universe.
I honestly don't see any other interpretation of her that I care for.

The alternative is that she genuinely is the beep-boop Maximum Utility Post-Apocalyptic Rationalfic Protagonist that she basically posits herself as, but that falls apart when you consider the actual input-output of her actions, past a certain point. So either she's a badly written example of an awful and obnoxious archetype, or she's a well-written human being whose self-image largely relies on justifying her actions in that exact way. Anyway, I prefer the latter.

Of course, all things considered I actually prefer early game Taylor, who was a rather different animal, because she lived in early game Worm, which was a very different story altogether. By the end game it's honestly tricky for me to pin down very many meaningful differences between her and Alexandria, save that Skitter's right and Alexandria's wrong, largely because Alexandria, like the rest of Cauldron, is an incoherent jumble of bad decisions stuffed into a barrel labelled "Path to Victory tho".

Bonesaw shows up. Amy cries and begs her to leave her and her family alone. Bonesaw coerces her into actually defending herself. Amy then tries to disengage the situation so she doesn't have to do anything more.

She absolutely has a passive mindset. She starts from, essentially, an assumption that she's helpless and Bonesaw has all the power, even while Bonesaw is actively pushing for her to defend herself. This is extremely evident at every step of the entire scene, and the fact that she didn't know the Nine were there prior to the scene isn't at all relevant.
Just to remind you that Hatchetface the power nullifier was looming over Bonesaw the entire time, and even if she was far gone enough to try it, her "death plague" trick would have relied on killing every member of the family she was trying to protect (maybe Brandish was out for the evening?). There wasn't anything Amy could have done in that situation, except the things that Bonesaw wanted her to do. The lack of options doesn't mean she's not passive, mind you - but a naturally reactive, passive mindset also isn't a crime. Certainly, it's not a moral failing. Amy's been conditioned to treat active uses of her power - creating or altering things - as evil, and reactive uses - healing or reinforcing things - as good. This doesn't make her a bad person, and I'm not sure why you think it does, beyond frustration with a lack of VS debate competency in a character whose elevator pitch should include "but she sealed away her true ninja bloodline limit out of fear".

Of course, this was also before any of Amy's obscenely advanced applications started showing up, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Wildbow just didn't anticipate giving her the same Lol It's Magic But I Used "Bio" As A Prefix that he ended up handing Bonesaw.

Armsmaster, by contrast, is trying to interrogate Mannequin, not to mention when he leaves it's apparently with intent to go tinker and come back later. (Ultimately as Defiant) He starts from the assumption that -even completely unarmed, seriously injured, etc- he can try to do something. (If anything, his mistake is having too much confidence in his badassery)
Which is... why I compared and contrasted their reactions, yes. In that post which you just quoted.

Both Armsmaster and Panacea are frightened. Armsmaster has an intact support network (dude's basically nursed back to mental health by a chatbot), decades of life experience, and has "excessive self-confidence" tattooed on his forehead. Panacea is an insecure teenage girl who doesn't feel welcome babysitting her comatose father in her own home.

I understand where you're coming from but it has the issue that my point is that Amy is putting more time and mental effort into sabotaging Taylor than she is into fighting the goddamn Nine.

This takes a reasonable-sounding decision and makes it petty, spiteful, asshole idiocy.

If she were throwing her full weight behind Taylor for fighting the Nine -and incidentally happening to find the time to cripple the long-term utility of the tools she's giving Taylor- then I would agree with you that this is an intelligent and reasonable decision, and thought I would identify with Taylor's frustration, I wouldn't be mad at Amy, myself.

That's not what she's doing. At all.
You're making a lot of assumptions to suit your conclusion, there. You are, for example, assuming that creating a mutant bug with a functioning digestive system capable of supplying it with enough energy to live for an extended period of time is less difficult than creating one without (note: mayflys naturally have a non-functional digestive system - this is nothing new). You are further assuming that this gap in difficulty is non-trivial. Panacea doesn't phrase it that way - she presents it as just not bothering to give them one, and Grue has to struggle to half-ass a human digestive system into Atlas.

Taylor asked for an edge against the Slaughterhouse Nine, and an enemy who entered into a temporary alliance with her handed over a crate of explosive bullets. The fact that they refused to instead give her a magic factory that could make endless explosive bullets doesn't quality as "petty, spiteful, asshole idiocy" on any level. Taylor's outraged by it, because she regards it as a personal betrayal - but she's got issues in that area, and Amy owes her no loyalty. She also interprets it the same way you do, as an attempt to add insult to injury - while Panacea presents it as an effort to avoid "nasty surprises". A clarification she didn't have to make, but did.

...honestly, re-reading that section, she sounds like an angry gamer pissed off that finishing a sidequest didn't let them sleep with the questgiver.

Amy in no way does anything to suggest she knows or cares about Taylor's actual behavior past the bank scene, and repeatedly and explicitly fixates on the fact that Taylor is "a Villain". You are defending her behavior on a basis unrelated to her actual behavior.
Her only meaningful social contact is with Glory Girl, the gossip-prone girlfriend of Gallant. Considering how deliberately public the actions of the Undersiders were, it seems wishful thinking to assume she hasn't heard about Skitter's ongoing career in villainy since their first, traumatic meeting.

Yes, she uses "a Villain" as shorthand for that, because Taylor is a Villain. That is to say, she's someone who uses their power to steal and injure and generally engage in ne'erdowellery. And yes, that's a term which encompasses everyone from Uber and Leet all the way through to Jack Slash, but it's not as though Taylor's given anyone but Armsmaster reason to believe she's anything but a generic costumed opportunist.

If I'm playing devil's advocate, then you're being equally uncharitable.

I have no idea what kind of reading you're taking from that scene that you think Amy's behavior is reasonable there, but it's very clear to me that she is deliberately and intentionally psychologically torturing Taylor, hanging Ominous Future consequences hung over her to terrify her. She even directly conflates this with what Tattletale did to her, and makes it explicitly clear that she's punishing Taylor for Tattletale having done much the same to her -which is particularly ominous when you consider that Tattletale's actions led into Glory Girl being hurt. It's not a giant leap for Taylor to be fearing she'll end up with equivalent harm done to her. She was already scared and confused because nobody was explaining anything to her, but it's Amy who paints things such that Taylor has specific reason to believe bad things are going to happen to her.

and quite frankly if Amy feels justified in holding someone responsible for their teammate's entirely autonomous behavior, her belief system -in a non-hypocritical context- would involve her accepting blame for Victoria's own tendency to cause too much harm. (Which she actually has far more responsibility for than Taylor has for Tattletale's behavior!)

Amy is being completely horrible to exactly the wrong person in a wholly hypocritical manner in circumstances that contradict the Hippocratic oath. Deliberately, consciously, planned, taking glee in it.
Honestly, I get where you're coming from, but I also look at phrases like "being on the same team as Tattletale" and wonder why you're treating that encounter like a football match turned nasty (alright lads six of one half a dozen of the other no serious harm done whistle's blown go home), as opposed to a gang of criminals armed with lethal weapons taking a crowd of innocent people hostage.

I roll my eyes at Amy wondering whether she's "doomed" to "become her father" later on because: yeah Amy, you're already a heinous person. No 'becoming' about it.
To be blunt, we're discussing this in a thread for a story where your self-insert callously kills good people because it's convenient, so I hope you'll forgive me if I don't lend complete credence to your ability to make a moral assessment of a girl who suffers a mental breakdown at least in part due to healing people too much.

What's unethical about this? Propping up cape organizations is like, half of what cauldron is supposed to be doing, and they're correct in that having larger unified ones makes life better for everyone?

Like even here it's noted that Jellyshaft existing is part of why europe is doing okay, and if it splintered tensions would get worse.

But they're also far more competent than the original! So, there's that!

Cool beans.

Watch them die, I suppose. When you consider that she had no way of knowing what the interference would do, nor where the spiders were, nor if her machinations would cause the spiders to become confused or uncontrolled- I mean... a black widow NOT under control would CERTAINLY start biting the shit out of everything that scares it...

So Panacea is irresponsible, irrational, incestuous, hippocritical and an all round fuck. Why is she loved by SV and SB so bloody much then?

So Panacea is irresponsible, irrational, incestuous, hippocritical and an all round fuck. Why is she loved by SV and SB so bloody much then?

Cute lesbians? Same reason no one likes to examine Parian and Foil's relationship that much.

(Like not that their relationship is actually bad, but fics pretty much gloss over any details of it in terms of power dynamics to immediately get to the cute girls holding hands or whatever.)

Certainly, if Lois Lane wants she can then pretend like the act of defending yourself from a godlike being is no longer morally valid because it interrupted your robbery attempt, but if she does she's a heinous monster.
... Not really, no.

Here's the thing: most times people take hostages, it's because they're doomed. 99 times out of 100, a hostage crisis happens because criminals are in the middle of some other crime, the police arrive, the criminals panic, and do something stupid. Like take hostages. Because taking hostages escalates the situation, so the police come down on them like a ton of bricks. Despite all this, freed hostages generally feel pretty pissed off at their former captors, because "that asshole pointed a gun at me/pressed a knife to my throat! I was terrified!"

The fault is honestly with Taylor and Tattletale for escalating the situation in the face of Victoria's arrival. It's understandable fault; they panicked like so many criminals do, and they did something stupid, as so many teenagers do. But Amy is equally understandable in holding a grudge against them for it, and just because it worked doesn't mean it wasn't stupid.

The sensible move would've been to just... give up. Bear in mind, they weren't intimately familiar with Glory Girl. They hadn't read the interlude. They had no reason to know that she might have followed through on her threat if they just came quietly - and, honestly? I don't think she would've. To me, it reads like trash talk, especially coming from somebody whose power has an emotional aspect to it that she probably tries to capitalise on. Glory Girl is all about shock and awe, and as an ethos, shock and awe is... well. Maxim 28: "If the price of collateral damage is high enough, you might be able to get paid for bringing ammunition home with you." In other words, the more force you bring, the less you have to use.

(Mind, the really sensible move would've been to not become villains in the first place, because why the hell do so many people turn to petty villainy when the PRT all but automatically offers capes a a well-paid government jobs and generous benefits packages?)

Last edited:
And our story moves on.

I'm posting this here because I can.

(It was Wildbow's birthday a couple of days ago, and the guy who writes and draws the artfic Tabloid-which I recommend, incidentally, it's very good and has already finished, with the epilogue it wanted to have-as I was saying, Babylon_Sheep drew a couple pieces of art commemorating that).

her "death plague" trick would have relied on killing every member of the family she was trying to protect (maybe Brandish was out for the evening?).

only... I can't remember his civilian name, whatever. Only Flashbang and Amy were in the house, at all.

So, yes, it would, probably, assuming she couldn't try to save him, have involved killing him. No, Victoria and Carol weren't around, and nor were the Pelhams or any family friends.

Just her, Flashbang, and Bonesaw and Creations.

To be clear. Not trying to say your point is invalid, just trying be clear on exact stakes.

Back